Official - Weapons Banter Thread

Mechamaniac

Man how did anyone come up with the idea for this thread.

Firearms:

SOCOM

MP5

M4 Carbine

P-90

Colt 1911

Smith & Wesson M39

Glock 19

PSG-1

*Note:* Since I live in Canada I have never shot any of these guns

Edged Weapons:

Katana, Tsurugi

Broadsword

Claymore

Glaive, Nagita

*Note:* All I have is a Bokken and a Shotto

Fantasy Weapons

Vash's Gun

Alucard's Casul and Jakal

Light Saber

Any of Chloe's knives from Noir

Cervantes' Soul Edge

Xianghua's Soul Calibur

and Kenshin's Sword

dammit can't remember anymore I want!

Hell,

come on over to michigan (windsor tunnel), between me and a few of my freinds, we have almost all the guns on your list. Ill let ya fire a few rounds and my buddies will too. Thiers a slight initiation, you have to fire a 3" magnum slug through my 12guage ;)

Hell,

come on over to michigan (windsor tunnel), between me and a few of my freinds, we have almost all the guns on your list. Ill let ya fire a few rounds and my buddies will too. Thiers a slight initiation, you have to fire a 3" magnum slug through my 12guage ;)

That doesn't sound like a bad initiation compared to some southern ones... "squel like a pig, boy!" :blink:

Is it worse than an over-packed muzzle loader?

Hell,

That doesn't sound like a bad initiation compared to some southern ones... "squel like a pig, boy!" :blink:

Is it worse than an over-packed muzzle loader?

He He,

My freinds call me a hillbilly in denial, considering the larger part of last year i had a truck bed in the back yard and I put V8 engines where they were never intended to go <_<

Over packed muzzleloader, I would have to say yeah Ive shot loaders before, and I go by more is better. I never got a bruise, but when I ran those slugs through, felt like i got in a bar fight. I did a nasty trick to my freind at the firing range, I put 2 regular 2.5" slugs in and followed with a 3" mag, he allmost fell over (225lb guy) and just handed it back to me with a thanks.

Oh yeah, harpoons, when I was in highschool, we took my buddies dads (ocean fisherman) harpoon gun and launched it through the drywall of his apartment, made a pretty good hole when we had to pull it back through the nieghbors wall,,,yup everyone was mad. That thing scared the crap outta me

An interest in guns is not exactly encouraged in the UK, and although I've got no interest in owning or firing one, I do have an interest in military history, and its kind of hard to avoid the subject in that... :lol:

Favourite real life weapons:

Broom-handle Mauser. I just love the way this thing looks; possibly the most stylish classic pistol - handgun doesn't seem the right term, somehow - made.

PIAT: Projector, Infantry, Anti-Tank. Quite possibly, the first and last spring-operated anti-tank weapon. Imagine being the Panzer commander who had to suffer the embarrassment of being knocked out by a spring-fired projectile... ( okay, it was a little bit more complicated than that, but while other countries were relying on rocket propelled anti-tank weapons, the British Army went back to the toybox and came up with a spring that required 200lbs of force to cock properly... )

Sci-fi:

The Lazy Gun. From the Iain M. Banks book Against A Dark Background. Difficult to describe out of context, but essentially, you never know what will happen when you pull the trigger. It might vapourize your opponent, nuke a city, bash someone in the head with a frying pan, or drop a safe on them...

Edit: forgot to mention: its possible to argue that a humble PIAT, fired by the right man at the right time, may have saved, or at least considerably, eased, the British invasion beaches at D-Day...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Thank God a forum with people who like guns ^_^ Anyways, I own only one pistol at the moment (which is at my uncle's house in Las Vegas), a Taurus PT100B (.40 caliber, unlike the 92B in 9mm. I always go for the largest caliber the gun come in, as larger rounds take up more space and this whole maximum clip size of 10 in pistols pisses me off). All blue finish. I prefer it over a Beretta 92 (P100 is based on the 92's model) mainly because of the frame mounted safety (found on the older Beretta models), which makes it easier to turn the safety on and off with just the flick of my thumb, and I don't have to move my hand off the target to do so. Also, the clip is easier to pull out in case it's gets jammed.

Though I always wanted to own and AKS 74U ^_^

favorite real: I want this bad.. FN P90, I also like the HK36K and the MP5 (HK makes some fine weapons, and our SWAT team has mostly HK products)

favorite fantasy: twin lightsabers! one for each hand!

What I have currently:

Glock 19 - w/3 31 rnd, 3 15rd, 2 10rd, 1 19rd mag - waiting for paperwork on the full-auto mod, looks unlikely though...i might have a better chance of requesting the Glock 18 through my dept.

Glock 22 - w/5 15 rd mags with Streamlight M3 and Lasermax laser

HK USP 357 Compact - w/5 12rd mags

2 Glock 33 - w/4 9 rd mags

HK USP Tactical -w/5 mags+ kac suppressor (pending sale still! dang paperwork, i never should've bought this, i never shoot it)

Benelli M1 Super 90 12ga shotgun w/surefire flashlight and short barrel-the ultimate home defense gun!

Highlander Katana (Duncan version from Marto)

several knock off katanas + wakizashi (I'm selling these, anyone interested?)

Master Replicas: Luke ESB Lightsaber prop replica

Anakin AOTC FX

Luke ROTJ FX

Vader FX

I own:

Romanian SKS (with a low quality dragunov style stock and a scope)

I like:

AK-47 (Avtomat Kalashnikova)

RPK

SVDN3 Dragunov (Snayper Vintovka Dragunova, fires a nice bullet, 7.62x54R)

SKS (Durable like the AK-47, but arguably better accuracy)

Most of the big HKs

SG43

Colt M1911

And a few others I can't think of...

Sci-Fi:

Lightsaber (duh)

E-11 Rifle (Stormtrooper's rifle)

DL44 Pistol (Han's pistol)

and a few others

Vostok 7

Though I'm "anti-gun" (too many idiots in this world to have a right to carry weapons, sorry!)

I can't deny a certain fascination for firearms (same as the infamous "Mushroomcloud" yeah it's sick, it kills thousands,...but the power,... The POWER!!!.....ahem...)

I wouldn't mind having a wall full of 'em

(was hoping to see more pics in this thread)

anyways, the gun I found most fascinating was Don Johnson's pistol used in "Miami Vice" (I know it's discontinued) but that was just for looks

but wouldn't we all want the revolver used by Bob Hoskins in "Who framed Roger Rabbit"? :D

Though I'm "anti-gun" (too many idiots in this world to have a right to carry weapons, sorry!)

I can't deny a certain fascination for firearms (same as the infamous "Mushroomcloud" yeah it's sick, it kills thousands,...but the power,... The POWER!!!.....ahem...)

I wouldn't mind having a wall full of 'em

(was hoping to see more pics in this thread)

anyways, the gun I found most fascinating was Don Johnson's pistol used in "Miami Vice" (I know it's discontinued) but that was just for looks

but wouldn't we all want the revolver used by Bob Hoskins in "Who framed Roger Rabbit"? :D

Im not into politics, more like stats,

when texas had an open policy on CCW's, the crime rate dropped like in half

To be fair we should keep any politics about guns or gun ownership out of this thread.

Also a big reason people do not post pictures of their guns (like me) is because we don't like to brag about them... then again I also don't post pics because I don't like people knowing what I own so they can come to my house and swipe all my stuff! :p

Also a big reason people do not post pictures of their guns (like me) is because we don't like to brag about them

I don't really see it that way. To me, this is more like an informal car show, where we can all put up our hoods and ohh and ahhh at the other guy's engine. :D

This is the gun I carry every day in my job. I know alot of people don't like Taurus, but it's never failed me. :)

A little known factoid about Taurus.

Beretta had a factory in Brazil, where Taurus is made (strange).

Due to some dischord, Baretta left.

Taurus occupied the same factory, and began producing a remarkably similar weapon, and also, a markedly improved weapon in many ways.

Also - having worked in a gun store on a part time hitch, I can tell you that Taurus is OUTSTANDING when it comes to warranty. We had a guy who was cleaning his pistol in his living room, his wife was one of those NIMH types, so she came in, freaked out, and grabbed the upper slide assembly, and threw it out the window, and into a nearby body of water. Long story short, he reported it to Taurus, and they sent him a whole new pistol, in exchange for the remaining parts of his. True story, we handled the exchange through our shop, and they did not charge him a dime.

Another stellar company when it comes to warranty - RUGER. They make great firearms to begin with, but they always stand behind their products, to a fault in the opinions of some. Case in point - Baltimore City Police recovered a Ruger Super Redhawk that had been stolen from someone, it was found in the trunk of a car that they hauled out of the bay. The pistol was rusted beyond recognition due to water, Ruger replaced it at no cost to the customer.

can the Valkyrie count as a Sci/Fi weapon? :lol:

umm...guns i've shot:

a .3030

AR-15 (single-shot mode)

Remington 12-gauge (MAN I LOVE THAT GUN! it has to be the power that i like....)

a .410

a .22 rifle.

gun i hope to own in the future after i get my concealed weps permit:

.44 Magnum (shoot the robber with this baby and they WILL stay down!)

guns i get to mess with in boot camp:

M-9 semiauto pistol

M-16/M-203 combo (i hope the -16's not as bad as i've been hearing...)

maybe the M-60 (that gun should be fun!)

the M-67 grenade

Fantasy weapons:

the VF-1 (if it can be classified as a fantasy weapon)

the lightsaber (duh!!)

Edged/pointed weapons

a longbow (it was fun firing that thing in 6th grade!)

that's about it....

EDIT: forgot to add a gun

Edited by Lightning 06

I don't really see it that way. To me, this is more like an informal car show, where we can all put up our hoods and ohh and ahhh at the other guy's engine. :D

True, but guns are guns. I'm one of those gun owners who had the hard lessons about showing guns learned at an early age... some people just don't react well to pictures or even the mention of firearms.

Master Replicas:  Luke ESB Lightsaber prop replica

Slightly OT: How do you like that replica, Chowser? Are they worth the $$$?

I like it. It's actually larger than I thought it would be. It's just smaller than the FX Sabers.

It's pretty well made, it's got some heft to it. I should've bought an Obi-Wan ATOC replica before they sold out because it's more round. You can't really hold this thing and use it as a weapon (if it were real that is...) It's got too many bumps in it. But it looks great on a costume. I am going to wear it on my belt when I go to work on Halloween and I am going to bring two of the FX sabers with me.

If you want, go to master replica's website (they charge too much usually, i usually find them on ebay), but they are having a trial program, free for 30 days, and it's cheaper than what they are asking on their website. The Luke ESB Replica is $199 after 4 payments of whatever. and if you don't like it, return it w/i 30 days and don't pay.

When I back someone up on a traffic stop, I am going to whip these out and start walking toward the car

:lol:

post-26-1066157983_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chowser

I don't really see it that way. To me, this is more like an informal car show, where we can all put up our hoods and ohh and ahhh at the other guy's engine.  :D

True, but guns are guns. I'm one of those gun owners who had the hard lessons about showing guns learned at an early age... some people just don't react well to pictures or even the mention of firearms.

As far as that goes, everyone knows not to enter my house, frm freinds to family, they will get shot. my guns are locked and hidden. Thats funny, my buddy has a gun from his aunt that was ussed in self defence (robber), he died at the scene. A good thing for all to those who are looking at CCW's is to go to the police acadamy and take a deputy training cource and get deputized, not only does it allow for more carrying time, it teaches more safety. Also, my Uncle Mike owned a catering truck in the 80's, and his 357 saved his life (long story). Its not gun owners that kill people, a killer could use a toaster, a bat, you get the point

A little known factoid about Taurus.

Beretta had a factory in Brazil, where Taurus is made (strange).

Due to some dischord, Baretta left.

Taurus occupied the same factory, and began producing a remarkably similar weapon, and also, a markedly improved weapon in many ways.

I had a Taurus PT92 for a while (sold it with my Beretta 92 a long time ago, guns were just too big for my hands), but I like the Taurus over the Beretta. Same gun basically, but I liked Taurus' safety/decocker system. And like you said, their warranty is the best.

As far as that goes, everyone knows not to enter my house, frm freinds to family, they will get shot. my guns are locked and hidden.

I'm just saying that when people find out you own guns they look at you in a totally different way. Pfunk is right, I have had friends walk out on me because they find out I own guns... cause you know, owning a gun means I'm a criminal and a murderer and I'm going to shoot you dead when you least expect it.

True story:

My fiancee came home from the range one day when some of our friends where over at the house. We were talking in the "basement" when she came down. She and they exchanged pleasantries and she walked over to the safe in the corner. One of our friends then asked her what was in that large thing in the corner and she showed them when she opened it to put her Beretta away. Needless to say they had a reaction. From that moment on the conversation was dominated with the usual non gun owner questions of "why do you two own so many guns?", "M16s are illegal aren't they", "What do you two modern people need all those guns for?" and my personal favorite "I had no clue you two were those kind of people".

We never did much with them ever again from that point, they just stopped calling us and they dodged our calls. People are just so scared in such childish and irrational ways about firearms that I've tried to do my best to not even mention them around people outside of the occasional joke unless I know for a fact that I am in "like company" that knows it is the person that kills and not the gun. I value everyone's beliefs about firearms, even the people who don't like them. Heck, I wholeheartedly agree that not just anyone should have access to firearms, especially the military grade stuff I and some of my cop friends have... but we're all well trained and we're not going to go out and start shooting cats and fence posts. All I (and most legal gun owners) ask is that you please don't stereotypically pidgeonhole me as a bad person or a psycho because I own a few guns.

And that is about as political as I get on this issue. B)

anybody go to one of those "turkey hunts" (full auto military weapons),

A guy I ussed to work with went to one in kentucky, It was the only place for a civilian to legally shoot a full auto (federally liesenced gun broker).

He had a m-60. He told me of guys with chain guns. A guy I knjow is a sniper and hes supposed to take us out on the military range to shoot some m-60's and m-16's,,,cant wait :)

You think that's bad? Imagine being a female who loves guns. I find it doens't take long to get labeled "butch" or worse just for sharing. Offline it tends to scare men away. Alas, I did eventually give my dad my collection for safe keeping when I decided to rid my license for firearms. The temptation to hunt some morons down and shoot them was too great. :lol: Far difficult to think "harming" someone with a more personal weapons such as katanas.

I'm just saying that when people find out you own guns they look at you in a totally different way. Pfunk is right, I have had friends walk out on me because they find out I own guns... cause you know, owning a gun means I'm a criminal and a murderer and I'm going to shoot you dead when you least expect it.

True story:

My fiancee came home from the range one day when some of our friends where over at the house. We were talking in the "basement" when she came down. She and they exchanged pleasantries and she walked over to the safe in the corner. One of our friends then asked her what was in that large thing in the corner and she showed them when she opened it to put her Beretta away. Needless to say they had a reaction. From that moment on the conversation was dominated with the usual non gun owner questions of "why do you two own so many guns?", "M16s are illegal aren't they", "What do you two modern people need all those guns for?" and my personal favorite "I had no clue you two were those kind of people".

We never did much with them ever again from that point, they just stopped calling us and they dodged our calls. People are just so scared in such childish and irrational ways about firearms that I've tried to do my best to not even mention them around people outside of the occasional joke unless I know for a fact that I am in "like company" that knows it is the person that kills and not the gun. I value everyone's beliefs about firearms, even the people who don't like them. Heck, I wholeheartedly agree that not just anyone should have access to firearms, especially the military grade stuff I and some of my cop friends have... but we're all well trained and we're not going to go out and start shooting cats and fence posts. All I (and most legal gun owners) ask is that you please don't stereotypically pidgeonhole me as a bad person or a psycho because I own a few guns.

And that is about as political as I get on this issue. B)

Of course, the other side of the spectrum should be mentioned as well.

The survivalist, apocalypse tomorrow, conspiracy theorist types who are stocking up for the revolution. Trust me, I saw PLENTY of these losers when I worked at the gun shop, and it is they that give responsible gun owners a bad rap.

Also, these idiots are why I never bought an "assault" rifle. They go on and on about the end of it all, and the race wars, and the riots, and blah blah, but none of them have an ounce of training, and even less between the ears. So I figure if the end ever really does come, there will be plenty of nice assault weapons lying next to the dumbasses that didn't know how to use them, and I will be able to take my pick.

Anyway...so.....

Back on topic......

favorite gun... as in one I would actually spend money aquiring...

Navy colt revolver with swapable chambers. Who didn't love the eastwood spaggeti westerns? I belive bsu legato knows the gun I'm refering to.

Arrgh, tell me about it. I've been seriously considering this for my next purchase, but the cost is getting pretty scary:

1 - Uberti 1851 Navy - $330 CDN

1 - Kirst cylinder - $250 USD

1 - Rapine .38 hollow base bullet mould - $80 USD

1 - .38 loading die set - $?

assorted shipping & handling - $?

The only thing in my favor is that the Canadian dollar is the highest it's been in a decade. <_<

favorite gun... as in one I would actually spend money aquiring...

Navy colt revolver with swapable chambers. Who didn't love the eastwood spaggeti westerns? I belive bsu legato knows the gun I'm refering to.

Arrgh, tell me about it. I've been seriously considering this for my next purchase, but the cost is getting pretty scary:

1 - Uberti 1851 Navy - $330 CDN

1 - Kirst cylinder - $250 USD

1 - Rapine .38 hollow base bullet mould - $80 USD

1 - .38 loading die set - $?

assorted shipping & handling - $?

The only thing in my favor is that the Canadian dollar is the highest it's been in a decade. <_<

Which movie did he do cylinder swapping in out of the Spaghetti westerns?.

The only one I distintly remember him swapping cylinders in (due to my own lack of memory) was Pale Rider, and that was an 1858 Remington that he had in that film.

Hey Opus, apparently you missed my post where I praised Taurus! :) I have a PT100B, which is just the 92 but in .40 cal. I see other's prefer Taurus over Berettas too :)

Which movie did he do cylinder swapping in out of the Spaghetti westerns?.

No, your memory isn't going on you. :D What Katana and I are referring to are the drop-in conversion cylinders that allow you to convert your percussion sixguns to cartridge, without modifying the gun itself. This is the easiest (and cheapest) way to replicate Clint's quasi-Richards conversion 1851 Navy in The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

one gun isnt better than the rest,

I like DE's and std 1911 styles

I shoot big cal's, cause I feel the smaller ones are too snappy for me.

I can hit the nuts off a nat with my kimber .45, but cant hit the blind side of a barn with my buddies Glock 9mm,

Its all how it feels in your hand and how you like the type of recoil. Ive shot taurus, whitch I like, but it doesnt fit my hand good. I would take a sig over a beretta or taurus just for the handle style, not for any waranty, another underated gun is the Para Ordinace, I really like those too in the .40-.45 cal.

Best advise to give, is rent a few at a range and see what feels and shoots best for you. Most people take my buddies colt anaconda and set it down after a shot or 2, bigger isnt allways better if you cant use it ;)

Its all how it feels in your hand and how you like the type of recoil. Ive shot taurus, whitch I like, but it doesnt fit my hand good. I would take a sig over a beretta or taurus just for the handle style, not for any waranty, another underated gun is the Para Ordinace, I really like those too in the .40-.45 cal.

Best advise to give, is rent a few at a range and see what feels and shoots best for you. Most people take my buddies colt anaconda and set it down after a shot or 2, bigger isnt allways better if you cant use it ;)

The only gun I ever fired that I did not enjoy was a .44 Desert Eagle.

Too much freakin gun, the recoil wasn't bad at all, it was the loading of that bastard, working the slide back and forth to chamber a round takes two men and a boy, and I am a big guy, strength aint my problem.

Never fired the .50 AE Desert Eagle, what can I say, I have no current need to shoot through an engine block :D

My personal favorite handgun caliber is without a doubt 45 ACP, I used to have a Sig P220, and loved it to death, but had to sell it one time when times got hard :( . I also used to have a Colt 1911 Combat Commander model, but was unimpressed with the quality that came along with the nice steep COLT price tag. My next Gubment model will be a Springfield or a Para Ordnance.

I have a friend who has a new DEP .50AE mark 19... they improved a lot of stuff on those guns to make them easier to cycle and shoot. But they are still waaaaaaay too heavy and cumbersome to be an effective pistol, let alone use it for hunting or target shooting. The guns can only run certain ammo types due to their sensitive gas systems or they will hang and jam like crazy, if you so much as touch the magazine baseplate while shooting the gun it will jam, if you don't keep it cleaned like a show bike it will jam and if you don't go to the gym and work out four times a week you'll never be able to keep the thing held up at arm's length long enough to empty a magazine.

My preference is for a "balanced" handgun, just enough power in the round to be effective and just enough size and feel to be easy to aquire and be comfortable. I like Glocks because they are nice and beefy without being too heavy or cumbersome. I especially like my G27 Baby Glock, I thought I would hate it due to it's teeny tiny size but it recoils just right to be very comfortable to shoot and the night sites are set up perfect for target to post shooting. I can zap the ten ring all day with my two Glocks. My classic 1911A1 WWII is a bit finicky though, mainly due to it's teeny tiny sights. I can manage 3 inch groups with it at best but then again that is still combat quality.

I also have a thing for the "weird" pistols like the Liberty Arms Calico 9mm and 22LR, the "Space Gun" and the Bushmaster Armpistol. Those guns are so cumbersome and problematic to shoot they are best left as conversation pieces rather than functional guns... but they are just so freaky they are cool.

I have a friend who has a new DEP .50AE mark 19... they improved a lot of stuff on those guns to make them easier to cycle and shoot. But they are still waaaaaaay too heavy and cumbersome to be an effective pistol, let alone use it for hunting or target shooting. The guns can only run certain ammo types due to their sensitive gas systems or they will hang and jam like crazy, if you so much as touch the magazine baseplate while shooting the gun it will jam, if you don't keep it cleaned like a show bike it will jam and if you don't go to the gym and work out four times a week you'll never be able to keep the thing held up at arm's length long enough to empty a magazine.

My preference is for a "balanced" handgun, just enough power in the round to be effective and just enough size and feel to be easy to aquire and be comfortable. I like Glocks because they are nice and beefy without being too heavy or cumbersome. I especially like my G27 Baby Glock, I thought I would hate it due to it's teeny tiny size but it recoils just right to be very comfortable to shoot and the night sites are set up perfect for target to post shooting. I can zap the ten ring all day with my two Glocks. My classic 1911A1 WWII is a bit finicky though, mainly due to it's teeny tiny sights. I can manage 3 inch groups with it at best but then again that is still combat quality.

I also have a thing for the "weird" pistols like the Liberty Arms Calico 9mm and 22LR, the "Space Gun" and the Bushmaster Armpistol. Those guns are so cumbersome and problematic to shoot they are best left as conversation pieces rather than functional guns... but they are just so freaky they are cool.

I thought the same way about 1911's (but i allways liked heavier guns) till I picked up a kimber. I would recomend going to a range and pick on of thiese up and see how you like it. I guaranty youll like it. those colts are horible (sorry to anyone who owns one) my buddies colt needed the sites ground off andnew ones bolted on.

Yup, what he says about the DE .50AE is all true. Company I used to work for used to be the HK agent for Magnum Research, so I have a fair bit of experience with their guns.

Desert Eagles are basically only for actors to look good in movies. In any real world application, they are just to cumbersome and unreliable.

Graham

Miami Vice ran for five seasons.

In the first two seasons, Don Johnson's character Sonny Crocket carried a chrome plated Bren Ten 10mm pistol.

In seasons 3 and 4 he switched to a stainless steel S&W 645 .45ACP pistol.

In season 5 he carried a S&W 4506 stainless steel .45ACP pistol.

His back-up gun carried in an ankle holster was a Detonics Combat Master .45ACP, which is a cut down compact 1911 type pistol.

Graham