Hasegawa VF-0D

PetarB

I was quite ill over Christmas, but managed to put this bird together. I can't do any modelling at the moment due to an unrelated issue, but found these pics on my hard drive today and thought I might share them.

It's by far and away my favourite Hasegawa Macross fighter yet.

I took these pics just before I put on a matt coat to seal (in case I wrecked it, using a new technique), so forgive me the glossy highlights. I went for a well-used and beat-up look on this one. Its possible I went overboard, but then again, I look at her now and again and think about adding strafing bullet holes...

The other anomaly is that the model came without instructions, but I got some decent references. It wasn't until I painted them that I realised the pilot figures had all that detail I had painted supplied as decals... so now I have a spare set.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Another week or so till I start modelling again, sadly...

Edited by PetarB

Thanks guys. I'll try and take more pics in the next day or so. One thing... anyone got any idea how to strip paint off the canopy? Taking another close look I forgot I botched the job and really need to do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the critiques and approvals.

This weekend - barring any misadventure - is modelling weekend for me! So I will be taking pics of a few different projects, and will have time to do some more photography of this the VF-0D. Hopefully I will put up some new pics of my Pinnace 1/72 Fighter project as well (link here, for anyone who hasn't seen the progress on this other Kawamori design).

On the subject of paints, they are all Tamiya acrylics - everything airbrushed except for the primer (rattlecan) and the clear coat and matt (rattlecan). I even used the new Tamiya weathering palettes, which I have to say worked much better than I expected.

Edited by PetarB

Im glad I took those pics. You're not going to believe this - over the weekend my 1.5 year old daughter partially destroyed that model. It **might** be salvageable. A Hasegawa YF-21 was totalled and a couple of other models. Im going to get another one though. Pretty annoyed about it, but I think I left the door to my tall glass display cabinet ajar. All she needed was a few minutes to take my beautiful valks to bits!

Im glad I took those pics. You're not going to believe this - over the weekend my 1.5 year old daughter partially destroyed that model. It **might** be salvageable. A Hasegawa YF-21 was totalled and a couple of other models. Im going to get another one though. Pretty annoyed about it, but I think I left the door to my tall glass display cabinet ajar. All she needed was a few minutes to take my beautiful valks to bits!

Don't be bummed. Turn those into background bits for a diorama. ;)

Very nice. I don't have a VF-0D but after looking at yours I want one. I particularly liked your weathering effects.

Don't feel bad about having to redo it. My little "Ewok" destroyed an entire legion of my best troops when she was about 2. It gave me a reason to update all my older X-wing and TIE fighters to the new Fine Molds castings.

Edited by Replicant Mechanic

I've managed to salvage it. Apart from one, ironic issue. The front canopy is snapped in two. Im going to order a new replacement from HLJ who I believe can help in such odd orders. Ironic because it was the worst part, suffering from masking bleed.

Now working on another Valk...

I've managed to salvage it. Apart from one, ironic issue. The front canopy is snapped in two. Im going to order a new replacement from HLJ who I believe can help in such odd orders. Ironic because it was the worst part, suffering from masking bleed.

Now working on another Valk...

A word to the wise, I've ordered replacement parts from HLJ before too. everything went well, but I wished I'd been able to combine the shipping with other items/kits 'cus, in the end, it was a bit steep for two VF-1 canopy trees. Oh yeah you have to order the tree that the part was on you cannot just order the part. good luck but, trust me, try to combine it with another order. Oh, and don't hold your breath it took a couple of months for my parts order to ship. I think there is a thread hrer on the boards somewhere about it. I know I've written about it here before, I think it was Bertt that wanted me to keep him updated on the cost and how long it took. I'll see if I can find it and get the details for you.

Thanks for the heads up. I might wait a bit to combine it with another order then...

I found the post I made about this when I ordered the parts trees here's a link: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=304127

• 1 year later...

Well it took me over a year to getting around to fixing this up, but after one of my girls smashed it up, it was hard to find the motivation. New canopy from HLJ, and lots of bits painstakingly glued back together.

Here she is repaired, back to her old self, with a bit more inadvertent weathering....

repair2.jpg

repair1.jpg

I love the shape of this aircraft. Might have to do another one day.

I left my model cabinet open. My one-year old daughter took one look in it with glee (while I went to make a coffee) and next minute she's deconstructing this, the VF-21 and the VF-19. The other two were a complete loss, but this one I was able to rebuild.

Either way my Friend, it looks awesome!! The rust on the engine exhaust looks great!! I just ordered a VF-0D And a pre-ordered some VF-0B models for my collection. HLJ will be reselling them in August, you should check that out as your next kit, The 2 seater designs are usually the best!! Take care man!!!!

I left my model cabinet open. My one-year old daughter took one look in it with glee (while I went to make a coffee) and next minute she's deconstructing this, the VF-21 and the VF-19. The other two were a complete loss, but this one I was able to rebuild.

oh, it was one of your kids, then it's ok, hahaha! I wonder what she must have been thinking while she toyed with them, hehehe!! well, now you have an excuse to buy another yf-21 and yf-19 to build better than before, hell, you can use the old kits to sorta make a severly battle worned look to them :ph34r:

Gorgeous! A real inspiration, too.

(My two little girls have gotten hold of a fragile toy or two, but never any models, thank goodness - I feel for ya!)