Macross 25th Anniversary! New TV series coming!

wolfx

No remake for me too. DYRL was close to perfect and was wrapped up nicely with the Flashback. If they are not careful, a new Macross remake could ruin my memory of the old Macross.

But then again, I like Shin Getter as much as the orginal Getter. Let's just hope they will get the right people for the right job.

I actually don't mind SK not involving with this one, his other anime hasn't impressed me too much since Macross, just wondering if he is a bit dry of original ideas and designs....

Edited by Mowe

Zen Buddhist? Please point out what is Zen Buddhist in Macross Zero. Perhaps it was Mayahana Buddhism (but I didn't see any Bodhisattvas) and not Theravada, but Zen?

Gee I'm sorry I got my Budda's mixed up. I've got a life so I just picked whatever came into my head. I'm sure Zen wasn't offended B))

Not happening, new vocal talent would not be needed. I don't understand why anybody would want to see SDF Macross re-made. It was a great series in its time and still remains great, a re-telling would only diminish it. I also do not want to see Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay again. If you think about it there isn't much more they could do with that story, and in a lot of ways I think what they might do with them would be a travesty to the characters.

So true

Pretty much one of the most important parts of the original series was the love-triangle between Hikaru, Misa, and Minmei (the original series...hell, it the most important part of all macross series). Now that Hikaru is married and has a kid, no one will like him if he still has feelings for Minmei.

Does anyone think it could be good with these three as side characters?

Ah!!!!!!!!!!! This can't happen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink::blink::blink:

Just to spite you guys, I hope the next Project is all Basara

Just to spite you guys, I hope the next Project is all Basara & yet another one of Mylene's sisters!

What if they rewrite Basara so he's all angsty and paints his Valk black while crying about how no one understands him?

What if they rewrite Basara so he's all angsty and paints his Valk black while crying about how no one understands him?

Basara never cared about anyone understanding him, or painting for that matter!

Just to spite you guys, I hope the next Project is all Basara & yet another one of Mylene's sisters!

Hence my Macross 7: Love Remembered idea. Macross 7 Remade DYRL? style. :D

Gee I'm sorry I got my Budda's mixed up. I've got a life so I just picked whatever came into my head. I'm sure Zen wasn't offended B))

Don't you mean Ch'an wasn't offended? ;) Now if you're going to get picky about Buddhism in Macross, then you have to do the same for all anime that is produced in Japan. But don't stop at Buddhism! Don't forget about Confucianism, Shintoism, and all of the other things that makes the culture different from your own!

I agree that you have a life, in the sense that you are living, but you apparently lack education. Please correct us if I am wrong.

Also, going back to your first post, shouldn't it be 'nature loving' and not 'tree hugging', as the two are quite different and the later is more applicable to the work in question.

I was thinking about that (nature in Macross Zero), and I concluded that Macross Zero cannot exist without some type of exposition and highlighting of nature; in the context of the greater Macross series in general.

Why? One key element of the Macross storyline is the destruction of the Earth and human's actions after it. If Macross Zero were to not highlight nature, it would be a failure on the part of the writers as they would have neglected one of the overall Macross story's main points and theme.

I have no doubt that nature (either the lack of it (ie: crater filled landscape a la DYRL and M+), or highlighting of it) will appear in the next Macross production; along with singing, love triangles, VFs, and the missile circus. I don't agree that it will be entirely CG (CGA's cost and time prohibitive in general) and I hope that it will be a continuation of the post-Macross 7, VF-X2 storyline.

I wouldn't mind that at all. In fact, I'd welcome it if done well. I rather like much of the ideas and concepts in Mac7, as well as the overall story. It seems to me, a lot of the issues people have are with the presentation (the designs which remind many of monster-of-the-week style shows, the glamrock costumes (which were dropped to good effect for Dynamite), the pacing of the story (possibly a primary reason that Ray's rational presence to Basara's unbridled idealism is so often overlooked), the overuse of songs early in the series, the terrible abuse of mediocre recycled animation, and the worst offender being the misleading lightshow that accompanied the notion of spiritua energy which was otherwise not portrayed as being something so "magical" as it seems many people perceived it as.

CGA's cost and time prohibitive in general)

This is a very good point that is often misunderstood or simply overlooked, if we're all on the same page regarding the definition of 'CG'. CG can be applied to modern 2D animation in that actual cels are no longer used, and that the drawing, while still by hand, is done on a computer using drawing tablets. It seems to me some people were referring to this in the thread.

Most people think of 3D computer models when you say 'CG'. For this, it is cheaper, easier, and quicker to create low budget, awful looking animation than it is to do low budget, awful looking 2D animation. On the other hand, it is more difficult, more time consuming, and more expensive to create high budget, good liking 3D work than it is to create high budget, good looking 2D work using modern digital techniques. I believe this was the reasoning given for the 2D valk sequences in Zero.

So redesigning everything won't fix anything, since HG will make it unprofitable to bring over regardless of legal standing. I'm mildly surprised they didn't sue Bandai because Gundam Wing had robots that transformed into jets and therefore fell within their Macross license.

Well their lack of legal challenge to Manga Ent. weakened their legal position quite a bit and left a hole by which other Macross titles could slide through, however that requires the the will and the financial commitment to actually pursue.

With the SC show finally out and the fact HG chose to do a Mospeada based sequel to RT is another telling sign.

I don't think HG is really interested in taking on a financially draining legal battle that they could potentially loose (even partially) in light of recent legal rulings in Japan.

Not to mention the fact that they have most of their money tied up in the SC show and are persuing that avenue of their franchise without any outside sponsors which is a very risky maneuver.

First 2 postings relate to the 25th anniversary and KISSDUM.

The last one just confirms that the audition for a singer/actress.

Only new things worth noting are:

- Applications are due on March 31st (not postmarked).

- This is the initial screening only.

- A big requirement is to be able to sing and act.

- No need to belong to any particular recording company.

So auditions in April, and some final word in May or June. So the question is, are we getting a complete unknown or someone with a healthy resume?

Nah!

MAc 7 doesn't have the depth to pull it off, despite what it's fans want to believe... :rolleyes:

This is a very good point that is often misunderstood or simply overlooked, if we're all on the same page regarding the definition of 'CG'. CG can be applied to modern 2D animation in that actual cels are no longer used, and that the drawing, while still by hand, is done on a computer using drawing tablets. It seems to me some people were referring to this in the thread.

Most people think of 3D computer models when you say 'CG'. For this, it is cheaper, easier, and quicker to create low budget, awful looking animation than it is to do low budget, awful looking 2D animation. On the other hand, it is more difficult, more time consuming, and more expensive to create high budget, good liking 3D work than it is to create high budget, good looking 2D work using modern digital techniques. I believe this was the reasoning given for the 2D valk sequences in Zero.

The biggest cost in any production is "labor"!

If you have a army of animators toiling away drawing cells over and over again, it is more expensive than building a 3D CG model once and then animating it. Similarly with CG the 2D animation doesn't require every single cell to be animated when a computer can animate a portion of the movement.

Granted CG is limited by the ability of the software rendering and animating it (thus less anime magic), but machines don't require salaries or benefits, don't call in sick, etc....

The initial outlay can be expensive, but the fact that the models and such created for a show can be stored and re-used at a future date at no extra cost to the production company.

Thus, potentially BigWest could produce another show with the Mac Zero elements in that era of the timeline for much less than what it cost them to produce Macross Zero, potentially allowing for an extending of the number of episodes for the new show costing the same as the first.

There are so many possibilities for a new series. Any type of spinoff could potentially be an epic story almost. How about what happened to the Megaroad 1? Max and Milia on their first colony expeditions? What if they did do a throw back to the original SDF Macross...Why not do what Gundam did with the 08th MS, and do a series just on the ground pounder mecha?

I haven't gone through this thread, and seeing it right now gets my hopes up, somewhat. I'm so tired of CG in animation looking like CG. I miss the drawn animation. It made people actually draw out character emotion, and every show had it's own stamp of originality, other than the cookie cutter syndrome we see today.

Can someone recap me on the summary of what is the latest word on this project? No Kawamori? Who's designing, who's directing, how far along are they? Any links or previews? Sorry, working 2 jobs is killing my internet browse time. :blink:

So true

Pretty much one of the most important parts of the original series was the love-triangle between Hikaru, Misa, and Minmei (the original series...hell, it the most important part of all macross series). Now that Hikaru is married and has a kid, no one will like him if he still has feelings for Minmei.

Does anyone think it could be good with these three as side characters?

Well, Still, I believe there could be a story for them...Hikaru and Misa's relationship being tested, for instance due to the fact that they're both in command (she of the ship, him of Skull Squadron -- "I'm sorry, darling, but I've got to order you to launch a near-suicide attack against that doomsday machine" "WHAT?") and Minmay's moving towards adulthood (a process that hadn't finished at the end of either SDFM or DYRL -- I always thought that she'd start out as a pop star, and SOMETHING BAD would happen to the Megaroad, prompting her to become first a nurse and by the end of the journey a doctor or something...). It doesn't have to be quite about their former love triangle, but there's still character development room for them, were that route to be taken.

Well, Still, I believe there could be a story for them...Hikaru and Misa's relationship being tested, for instance due to the fact that they're both in command (she of the ship, him of Skull Squadron -- "I'm sorry, darling, but I've got to order you to launch a near-suicide attack against that doomsday machine" "WHAT?") and Minmay's moving towards adulthood (a process that hadn't finished at the end of either SDFM or DYRL -- I always thought that she'd start out as a pop star, and SOMETHING BAD would happen to the Megaroad, prompting her to become first a nurse and by the end of the journey a doctor or something...). It doesn't have to be quite about their former love triangle, but there's still character development room for them, were that route to be taken.

True, further character development of familiar characters is always welcome, worked for Max and Millia on Mac 7.

If there needs to be a love triangle there are several hundered thousand on the Megaroad to choose from...

True, further character development of familiar characters is always welcome, worked for Max and Millia on Mac 7.

Wait, they developed in Mac7? I musta missed that part. I just thought we got to meet a broken Max and an argumentative Millia, winse, wash, repeat. Were they different at the end of the series then they were in the beginning (clearly they're both different from where we left them at Macross)?

Edit: WINSE? What am I 2 now?

Edited by jenius

Wait, they developed in Mac7? I musta missed that part. I just thought we got to meet a broken Max and an argumentative Millia, winse, wash, repeat. Were they different at the end of the series then they were in the beginning (clearly they're both different from where we left them at Macross)?

Well at least Max still knows how to fly a jet...

I found this link in the news section of the official Macross Web Site

http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/audition/v3/

I don`t know japanese, but it says something like this: from january 15 until april 31

That the audition notice which we've noted earlier and which I've touched upon above your post

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=473596

As I mentioned, potential applicants have till March 31st to send their applications (it doesn't appear that they will accept postmarks). They are asking for 2 photos and singing sample (either an original song or 2 songs from known artists and the 2 songs cannot be from the same artist).

i really hated how they portrayed Max and Milia's relationship torn apart by a power struggle in Macross 7, they sorta hinted that Max wanted to fix things up, but whenever they got close to something they went along and make Basara start taling nonesense and sing like an idiot.... hated that so much

anyway, how about a story about a young elite pilot who is found stranded in an old busted VF-4 who is later revealed to be Hikaru and Misa's son and that way we could get some insight on the original cast fate without having to make a story about them....

anyway, how about a story about a young elite pilot who is found stranded in an old busted VF-4 who is later revealed to be Hikaru and Misa's son and that way we could get some insight on the original cast fate without having to make a story about them....

that sounds interesting indeed!!!!!!

That could happen, but it really doesn't fit in with the macross pattern of main characters. Macross main characters are always very young characters that are more or less not fully matured (isamu was an adult, but he was still a cocky showboat) To have two of your main charcters as a married couple with a kid seems a little out of pace with the rest of the franchise. However, i would still like to see them in a secondary character position, just it seems that it would be hard to make former main characters side characters.

As for the fate of the Megaroad-01, i have two word for you...time travel, Ooooo :o (just me hoping to get a story with them and a new VF)

Kawamori doesn't want to go back to old charas, and i doubt BW would do it either.

BW will do whatever makes money, they aren't quite as snobish as Kawamori.

If they believe the fans want more of the their favorite characters they will deliver them with or without SK.

~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~`

I like to believe the Megaroad met up with a remnant of the PC's and ended up simily staying with them. In order to preserve the world's anonymity they stopped communicating with Earth.

It's a pet theory of mine. :p

(Rough) translations of the news items on the renewed Macross site: http://www.macross.co.jp/

News items (3):

- It'll be 25 years of Macross on Oct. 3rd. There will be new movement (in Macross) from the website renewal; this year is the turning point in Macross. It is large attention of "Macross" that begins to move bewilderingly from this year to next year.

- Tokyo International Anime Fair 2007 - going to have a booth there. They're going to have a display on the previous series, and mechanical designs.

- searching for voice talent (for the heroin of a new Macross production.)

(Rough) translations of the news items on the renewed Macross site: http://www.macross.co.jp/

News items (3):

- It'll be 25 years of Macross on Oct. 3rd. There will be new movement (in Macross) from the website renewal; this year is the turning point in Macross. It is large attention of "Macross" that begins to move bewilderingly from this year to next year.

Hmm, sounds like BW is planning to resurrect the franchise in a big way... What exactly that means is anyone's guess.

i really hated how they portrayed Max and Milia's relationship torn apart by a power struggle in Macross 7, they sorta hinted that Max wanted to fix things up, but whenever they got close to something they went along and make Basara start taling nonesense and sing like an idiot.... hated that so much

Actually, it makes perfect sense. Macross 7 is aimed at two demographics: young people, hopefully bringing in a new market for Macross, AND old(er) fans of the original series. Those older fans would have been, or were well on the way to being married, and experiencing some of the same trials and troubles that Max and Milla were undergoing in the series.

It was also a way for the two to get so much screen time in the series. Drama = conflict. Conflict = viewer interest. Viewer interest = good!

Edit: WINSE? What am I 2 now?

You thought Max was broken at the beginning of 7 and that Millia was simply argumentative? I can't even chalk this one up to poor presentation. Far from broken, it seemed that Max and Millia both were simply stubborn with the burden of responsibility and refused to let a little thing like marriage interfere with doing what they perceived was "right". This also worked into one of the major themes of the show, that many differences and sources of conflict were simply a matter of different perception. They were different than how we left them at the end of SDF. They were older, in some ways wiser, logical progressions of their young selves.