Macross 25th Anniversary! New TV series coming!

wolfx

If they want to have it out for the 25th anniversary it will need to be out by the end of the year, which is possible since I believe the applications for the audition weren't being accepted after the end of March.

Casting will normally happen after principle animation has been done as well.

All in all, they're bound to do something in time for the 25th anniversary.

Edited by T.V.

Any chance this will be cel-drawn with Mikimoto character designs? Or is this gonna be yet another "slightly better than Flash animation" deal like everything else the animation industry has shat out for the last 5 years?

I guess that was a rhetorical question. Well, hopefully the toys will be good. Corollary: I hope Yamato doesn't get the license.

The one constant, though, is it'll take an act of God to allow it to be released officially here in the US.

Man, I already lost any hope of seeing any Macross after Plus here in the US. But excellent news! I hope it might show what happened to Shin and Sara. Haha, I want to know more about then than actually Hikaru and company but Kawamori doesn't like to come back to old characters anyway.

I hope it might show what happened to Shin and Sara. Haha,

I hope not, I'm still recovering from the Zen, tree hugging, WTF was that all about overload from Zero :wacko::blink:

Edited by thegunny

Nice news.

I gotta wonder if it'll be another prequel(Protoculture? i'd love that), some sequel that brings back some old characters(original Macross Saga), or something new... But I do wanna know, and badly, who the character designer will be.

While I'd like a new series... I'm afraid the CG will be craptacular on both the mecha and characters on anything less then an OVA. Sure call me spoiled, but the quality level that M0 set was delish!!!

I agree, no more greenies ideas, just give us ass-kicking valks. May be introducing the Variable Glaug to the screen will get Yamato to make one. Let's wait and see...

I hope not, I'm still recovering from the Zen, tree hugging, WTF was that all about overload from Zero :wacko::blink:

Nice news.

I gotta wonder if it'll be another prequel(Protoculture? i'd love that), some sequel that brings back some old characters(original Macross Saga), or something new... But I do wanna know, and badly, who the character designer will be.

While I'd like a new series... I'm afraid the CG will be craptacular on both the mecha and characters on anything less then an OVA. Sure call me spoiled, but the quality level that M0 set was delish!!!

I think a new TV series is needed to bring in new fans. Something that's a sequal but can stand on it's own... like 7.

Psst, Macross, & about 90% of all anime is about magic hocus pocus, get over it!

Eh, i'm still hoping they could come up with some better scientific explinations than in Mac7. But, it would be nice to have something to tie the loose ends in Mac0 and connect it better with the rest of the series.

but, i'd just settle for anything with a new super advanced VF. Hasn't really been a 'new' one (by new i mean storyline chronology) since Mac+.

Psst, Macross, & about 90% of all anime is about magic hocus pocus, get over it!

Sorry would you mind pointing out where big bird was hiding on SDF-1 :blink:

There's a distinct difference between stupidity that takes itself seriously and "magic hocus pocus" as you put it that is done for fun.

Psst, other people can have their own opinions so get over it!

:D

Sorry would you mind pointing out where big bird was hiding on SDF-1 :blink:

There's a distinct difference between stupidity that takes itself seriously and "magic hocus pocus" as you put it that is done for fun.

Psst, other people can have their own opinions so get over it!

Zen Buddhist? Please point out what is Zen Buddhist in Macross Zero. Perhaps it was Mayahana Buddhism (but I didn't see any Bodhisattvas) and not Theravada, but Zen?

This pleases me, and the fact that Kawamori is absent raises the chanches of a good, military-based storyline.

I would like Miyatake to return, he did a fine Job with the SV-51 and the Destroid Cheyenne back in Macross Zero

Heh, I've got to be the easiest to please person here. So long as it's GOOD, I'll take it. Kawamori or not. Prequel, sequel, side story, retelling, valkyries, destroids, whatever. So long as it's done well.

Then again, I think some of the attitudes around here towards certain themes and ideas are comically exaggerated.

Edited by Radd

Who knows? Maybe there'll be a return to Misa, Minmay and Hikaru... (don't laugh: before February 2007, did you think there was a chance in hell of The Police reforming?)

WHAAAT!!!!!????? The Police are reforming?!?!?! :o

:p

What rock have you been under? :p:D:p They played the Grammies, and the next day they held a press conference announcing their world tour. They're hitting LA in June.

But, so this isn't a total thread hijack...as far as I could see on that press release, it WILL be a full-on series (whether TV or OAV, I'm not sure).

Edited by Pat Payne

Actually, primarily only Mac 7 had the whole "magic" bits, the rest of the series' were fairly plausible in a SciFi genre. Macross (SDF, Plus, Zero, DYRL & even II), Gundam, Eureka 7, etc... are more Scifi and less "Magic" fantasy.

Anyway....

Connection stories between Mac 0 and SDFM, stories between 2030 and 2045, Stories post 2045, SA stories, story about the fate of Megaroad, all would be welcome!

Hell, even a re-animation of SDFM would be welcome with new mecha and character designs to allow BigWest to get around some of the international rights problems with Tatsunoko...

I agree that less emphasis on music and more on the dramatic, like Mac Zero was doing.

I doubt cell animation will be used or will be coming back anytime soon, since the cheaper, faster and most flexible way to animate now is via cgi.

I'd expect only movies would have the budgets to afforde traditional cell animation these days.

Edited by Zinjo

Actually, it would make no sense either. CG allows you to not lose the cell if you make errors, to make quick tests and then use the undo button to return to a previous state, plus, once you've done it you can reuse it whenever you want, while a cell once is drawn has to be remade from scratch is things are not perfect. It's just more convenient in everything. Plus is cleaner too.

Connection stories between Mac 0 and SDFM, stories between 2030 and 2045, Stories post 2045, SA stories, story about the fate of Megaroad, all would be welcome!

Hell, even a re-animation of SDFM would be welcome

Up to here I agree with you, and heartily endorse your ideas, having not read anything past this portion of the sentence... And now to train my eyes further on what you've written...

with new mecha and character designs to allow BigWest to get around some of the international rights problems with Tatsunoko...

*kaff*--*sputter* *cleans spat-out tea off of monitor* HUH?!?

Tatsunoko?!

Isn't that the animation studio from way back during the '80s?

Is there any problem circulating the use of the SDF Macross character designs or story?

If already mentioned somewhere here, could you point me towards it?

Thanks in advance.

Actually, it would make no sense either. CG allows you to not lose the cell if you make errors, to make quick tests and then use the undo button to return to a previous state, plus, once you've done it you can reuse it whenever you want, while a cell once is drawn has to be remade from scratch is things are not perfect. It's just more convenient in everything. Plus is cleaner too.

That's the theory, but in reality, CG is only used to make animation cheaper. No animation done in the last 10 years approaches the quality of DYRL and other old-school OVAs. If you want specifics, all the curves in modern anime are very simple, as if a person was using the curve tool from MS Paint. This looks plain ugly when drawing characters. Also, movement is restricted mostly to translating and scaling, without any actual rotation. Even the 3d stuff is unimpressive. The only recent show I find visually decent is Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The 3D CG for the Tachikomas is seemless. Plus it's got Shirow's character designs.

So is it confirmed that Kawamori has nothing to do with the new show? Not even doing mecha designs?

Edited by danth

They should remake the original macross series, remain the original sound/voice, just remake the series with almost the same animation quality of DYRL, of course with some "redesign" of the VF-1, the flight suits, Misa's hair, etc..

One thing though: if they were just doing a straight animation remake, why audition for new vocal talent? The vocal and music tracks are just as valid today as in '82 or '84. It'd be like doing the remastered Startrek and recasting the entire Enterprise crew...

Oh, and Zinjo...no worries (I was actually being a bit hyperbolic for humor's sake :) ), but I will admit that any time people talk about tinkering with designs (even if the original designer's involved) visions of Wing Gundam or Tekkaman Blade start to traipse through my head...

Edited by Pat Payne

They should remake the original macross series, remain the original sound/voice, just remake the series with almost the same animation quality of DYRL, of course with some "redesign" of the VF-1, the flight suits, Misa's hair, etc..

Not happening, new vocal talent would not be needed. I don't understand why anybody would want to see SDF Macross re-made. It was a great series in its time and still remains great, a re-telling would only diminish it. I also do not want to see Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay again. If you think about it there isn't much more they could do with that story, and in a lot of ways I think what they might do with them would be a travesty to the characters.

Not happening, new vocal talent would not be needed. I don't understand why anybody would want to see SDF Macross re-made. It was a great series in its time and still remains great, a re-telling would only diminish it. I also do not want to see Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay again. If you think about it there isn't much more they could do with that story, and in a lot of ways I think what they might do with them would be a travesty to the characters.

I agree. I prefer some new content rather than remaking. Look at Gundam and how much it has expanded. To date we haven't seen a remade One Year War Gundam (thought Seed was a retelling). We get side stories and all that but no remaking.

Time to move on I say. Besides DYRL? could be called a remake already. And...anybody got new news about this?

Tatsunoko?!

Isn't that the animation studio from way back during the '80s?

Is there any problem circulating the use of the SDF Macross character designs or story?

If already mentioned somewhere here, could you point me towards it?

Thanks in advance.

See the HG license debate thread in general anime.

General consensus is that Tatsunoko has distribution rights for the original TV series. Maybe DYRL too.

Harmony Gold argues that it was international rights for the entire franchise, which they got from Tatsunoko, so HG owns Macross outside of Japan.

So redesigning everything won't fix anything, since HG will make it unprofitable to bring over regardless of legal standing. I'm mildly surprised they didn't sue Bandai because Gundam Wing had robots that transformed into jets and therefore fell within their Macross license.