Macross 25th Anniversary! New TV series coming!

wolfx

hey! someone stole my avatar!! haha! I was gonna change it anyways...

maybe the 1995 thing is perhaps that he's throwing Macross 7 into an AU since that was the year Macross 7 aired, right?! haha, kidding

I'm just gonna wait for official news not get too excited or dissapointed and enjoy a new Macross series in the coming months

oh lordy, I hope not. does this mean now Hikaru and Kamjin will be best friends, having to fight each other, and we'll have a month's worth of episodes where they fly around in circles and cry out each other's names?

No they will be brothers one will be evil and the other good and both will fight for control of the box and its protocultutre power within. Oh and Minmay will provide musical accompanyment.

I dont care eaither way we are getting more Macross. Even RT SC wasnt all bad.

Edited by big F

Personally, I'm reserving comment until further information is released on the series.

A good position at this point...

That said, I have some critical questions about the latest wind blowing up the fan-boys' skirts:

How closely tied is the source text to the powers-that-be whom control the Macross property?*

How accurate is the translation?**

* I see TAF (Tokyo Anime Fair,) but no Big West, Studio Nue, or even Bandai (not that they have much to do with Macross aside from sponsoring it and releasing licensed products based off of it.)

Actually, unless sponsorship practices in Japan have drastically changed in the last 10 years, BW and the sponsors have a LOT to do with the property. Often insisting on changes that will benefit their merchandise lines. Which is why I consider M7 to be the most merchandised series to date. It was all about selling music and toys and much less about the hardcore story.

However, as sketchly pointed out the translation could be flawed or just an unsubstantiated rumor.

Which is why I consider M7 to be the most merchandised series to date. It was all about selling music and toys and much less about the hardcore story.

Oh sure, which is why there are way more toys for SDF Macross and Macross DYRL (and I am talking toys from the 80's). Macross 7 had what, four Valkyries?

... We'll build our own Macross franchise, with blackjack and hookers..." :p (kudo points to anyone who got the reference)...

Uhh, Simpsons, or Futurama. The quote is clear as day to me when i first read it.

But for some reason, i can here Bender's voice. LOL. But that's coz i just watched an episode last night. :p

Oh sure, which is why there are way more toys for SDF Macross and Macross DYRL (and I am talking toys from the 80's). Macross 7 had what, four Valkyries?

Because SDFM was such a hit everyone got on the bandwagon, initially it had only a few sponsors and one in particular was responsible for the name of the SDF-1. Star Wars was the same way, it was only AFTER it became a hit that the licensing really took off, to the point that Mattel didn't make enough figures to keep up with the demand in '77.

The money generated by SDFM's success was so much that it was able to fund a movie 2 years later and that only fueled an already white hot market that lasted for at least another 2 - 3 years after. When Mac II was announced in '91 the anticipation from the fan base was pretty intense, after having no new Macross productions coming from BigWest for nearly a decade.

I never said Mac 7 was "successfully" merchandised, just the most blatantly merchandised. In the 90's there were quite a few resin and model kits, but the biggest seller was the music, since that is what the focus of the show was...

The old Otaku still love the VF-1 and Minmay, but the younger generation loved Firebomber more than the fighters. That's why the "Firebomber meets Minmay" concert will likely be one of the biggest concerts of the summer.

Edited by Zinjo

nope, but they were still teenagers, with giant robots. again, what's your point?

wow...I never even knew they were making a new macross..

Teenagers and giant robots, huh?

Maybe they will pilot Super robot-style valkyries

:blink:

I have muted (i.e. he is restricted from posting) Zinjo for 24 hours. This thread isn't about the marketing of older series. Save that for another thread.

I sense a disturbance in the force...this thread will be closed once again.

Not quite my fellow Jedi...It is the sense of banning you feel. :ph34r:

Do none of you get the picture? Keith gets muted for 48-hours. I will start issuing bans if this continues.

Now back to the subject of the 25th anniversary.

25th anniversary editions of the Hasegawa VF-1S and YF-19 are now up for pre-order at Hobby Search.

VF-1S

YF-19

Now back to the subject of the 25th anniversary.

25th anniversary editions of the Hasegawa VF-1S and YF-19 are now up for pre-order at Hobby Search.

VF-1S

YF-19

I have preordered mine already. Might get a few more just to put into storage for like 10 years.

The latest issue of Newtype is out. There's nothing on the cover mentioning Macross 25. I'll try and pop into a store that allows tachiyomi to see if there is anything mentioned inside (doubtful.)

Hobby Japan (I think that was the modeling magazine) didn't have anything on the new series either, though it does have a nice collection of photos about the new SV-51.

hummmm...

There is a new SV-51, hey hey hey~~~

It is too cooooool~~~

We know already :angry: ... Look here: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=21339

The latest issue of Newtype is out. There's nothing on the cover mentioning Macross 25. I'll try and pop into a store that allows tachiyomi to see if there is anything mentioned inside (doubtful.)

The hype around Gundam 00 is probably gonna drown out Macross 25 for the moment. Considering that the lead voice actress is getting introduced at the concert in August, I'm expecting them to be somewhat tight-lipped about info until after the concert.

It amazes me that Gunadm 00 is getting more interest than a new macross series. Nothing against gundam, but that franchise gets a new series every year.

Larger and younger fan base is the difference I would think. They may have a new series every year, but many of the fans are so much younger that maybe they've only seen a few Gundam series so far.

Still, I think Macross 25 is going to be big for Macross. It's a television series and the pre-buzz will probably be much greater as a result.

Edited by Mr March

Larger and younger fan base is the difference I would think. They may have a new series every year, but many of the fans are so much younger that maybe they've only seen a few Gundam series so far.

Still, I think Macross 25 is going to be big for Macross. It's a television series and the pre-buzz will probably be much greater as a result.

Well if they actually re-animate SDFM to get around current legal issues and reintroduce the original show to this generation, that would be even bigger for BigWest. However there is no hard evidence to support such a speculation.

It's possible Macross 25 is such a series, aimed at a much younger audience to get a new generation of fans interested in Macross. It is speculation, but I think it's reasonable given what little we know right now. Personally, I'm good with that. The Vision of Escaflowne was a series very similar to SDF Macross that was aimed at an audience much younger than myself, but it contained so many strong character elements and intelligent writing that it appealed to me and I was able to enjoy it even as an adult. A lot like some of the Pixar films (The Incredibles comes to mind). This is in stark contrast to something like Gundam Wing, which had absolutely nothing redeeming to enjoy for an adult consumer like myself. I'm hoping Macross 25 has enough strong characters and writing that it will be an enjoyable show even for me.

It's possible Macross 25 is such a series, aimed at a much younger audience to get a new generation of fans interested in Macross. It is speculation, but I think it's reasonable given what little we know right now. Personally, I'm good with that. The Vision of Escaflowne was a series very similar to SDF Macross that was aimed at an audience much younger than myself, but it contained so many strong character elements and intelligent writing that it appealed to me and I was able to enjoy it even as an adult. A lot like some of the Pixar films (The Incredibles comes to mind). This is in stark contrast to something like Gundam Wing, which had absolutely nothing redeeming to enjoy for an adult consumer like myself. I'm hoping Macross 25 has enough strong characters and writing that it will be an enjoyable show even for me.

If that is indeed the route this new series takes, it would be an opportunity to retell the same story but add additional elements hinted at in other shows or publications, as well as certain story threads that could use an overhaul (Max and Millia's love story, the post war Earth, etc...). It would allow them to introduce non-disputed designs of both character and mecha (Mikimoto has already updated his designs for Hikaru and Minmay in recent years).

If BigWest and Bandai Visual are looking at the cash cow of the Western market, this is a golden way to do it. The Toho film "Appleseed" did 3 times the DVD business in North America as compared to how many units sold in Japan. That's a lot of revenue for an anime producer in the cash strapped domestic anime market in Japan.

It amazes me that Gunadm 00 is getting more interest than a new macross series. Nothing against gundam, but that franchise gets a new series every year.

It's kind of hard to be as excited about Macross 25 when we don't even know:

-The real name of the series.

-A more detailed explanation of the premise.

-Glimpses of the characters and mecha.

Sunrise, for all their faults, has done well in creating the hype machine for Gundam 00 by starting off with a trailer showing off the characters and Gundams. Personally, and I'm sure others feel this way too, my anticipation of Macross 25 will increase once some more information is available.

It would allow them to introduce non-disputed designs of both character and mecha (Mikimoto has already updated his designs for Hikaru and Minmay in recent years).

But I still argue that as long as they place the Macross name on it, if what you're saying is the case, Tat and HG will still leap into action once BW tries to shop it outside of the Japanese Archipelago even if they "Gundam Wing-ize" it. Sadly, the only way they could sell it outside of Japan until the day BW tells Tat et. al to put up or shut up is to make it radically different from the Macross we all know and love and strip any Macross identifiers from it -- in essence, make an entirely new show with the bones of the Macross story submerged deep inside.

It's a nice thought to say they're making a legal end-run around HG and Tat. But logically, I don't see it holding much water, unfortunately.

But I still argue that as long as they place the Macross name on it, if what you're saying is the case, Tat and HG will still leap into action once BW tries to shop it outside of the Japanese Archipelago even if they "Gundam Wing-ize" it. Sadly, the only way they could sell it outside of Japan until the day BW tells Tat et. al to put up or shut up is to make it radically different from the Macross we all know and love and strip any Macross identifiers from it -- in essence, make an entirely new show with the bones of the Macross story submerged deep inside.

It's a nice thought to say they're making a legal end-run around HG and Tat. But logically, I don't see it holding much water, unfortunately.

You make valid points, the question remains is with the amount of potential revenue to be made internationally by Bandai Visual (the typically distributor of Macross productions domestically and now with a brand spanking new office in America) and Big West, one wonders if a challenge is a possibility. Strategically now is the best time.

If not, then it was a pleasant dream nonetheless... B))

You make valid points, the question remains is with the amount of potential revenue to be made internationally by Bandai Visual (the typically distributor of Macross productions domestically and now with a brand spanking new office in America) and Big West, one wonders if a challenge is a possibility. Strategically now is the best time.

If not, then it was a pleasant dream nonetheless... B))

Hopefully if they put an english voice track on the enevitable DVD release then It could do well. In the U.K the best seller was Macross Plus as it was marketed as an english speaking anime from the start. Robotech only does well as it is english speaking and usually put in the same bit in the DVD sales section. I recon most of its sales are nostalgia based, and then people see Plus and think oh a new Macross/robotech hmm!

They just gotta sort it with HG et al. Me personaly I don care if they do an english version as I `ll buy the Jap one anyway. English would be nice for al my friends who wont sit through several hours of Japanese speaking.

It's kind of hard to be as excited about Macross 25 when we don't even know:

-The real name of the series.

-A more detailed explanation of the premise.

-Glimpses of the characters and mecha.

Sunrise, for all their faults, has done well in creating the hype machine for Gundam 00 by starting off with a trailer showing off the characters and Gundams. Personally, and I'm sure others feel this way too, my anticipation of Macross 25 will increase once some more information is available.

Well said! That's a very good point. Especially here in North America, there is next to nothing for Macross marketing. Even the Macross fandom has only just recently grown with any significance, most likely due to renewed interest post Macross Zero and the widely available DVDs of the original series at competitive prices. But even then, only a few new sites have appeared even though old favorites like MacrossWorld, the MAHQ, The Macross Compendium, and Macross Area Seven have continued with renewed content.

More can happen for Macross 25 once we get more solid information. I suppose as fans we often forget how much advance notice we really get about oru favoured franchises. We can't be so picky when information gets out even during the extreme early stages of production for a new anime. The internet has spoiled us :)

Regrettably, I have to agree with this. I just try not to think about it too much since it is a depressing possibility. But given that we've got so much properly released Macross here in North America recently, it's not unheard of that something positive might happen for Macross 25. Gotta remain hopeful :)

Regrettably, I have to agree with this. I just try not to think about it too much since it is a depressing possibility. But given that we've got so much properly released Macross here in North America recently, it's not unheard of that something positive might happen for Macross 25. Gotta remain hopeful :)

As the Great Orator said, "dum spiro, spero" ("So long as I breathe, I have hope.") B))

And, who knows? There's always the possibility of change. I never said there wasn't. All I meant was that the likelyhood of this being the vehicle of said change is remote, only because there's no good way to simultaneously bring the as-yet-unproduced show out of the country and avoid a legal battle (of course, as always, IANAL, and lawyers tend to be of one of two types: either venal, vicious Tom Cruises or legal versions of Chief Engineer Scott :p )

Hopefully if they put an english voice track on the enevitable DVD release then It could do well.

If it makes its way to the US, they almost certainly will (though it seems that Bandai Visual doesn't do dubs that much, making for more questions about what the farkbot is up with their pricing structure). But if it remains Japan-only, there's less than a 0.05% chance of it having one. I highly doubt there'd even be an English sub track (only a handful of R2 Japanese discs that I know of have 'em [those being the Ghibli films and (oddly enough) the Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy]).

If the new Macross series is going be released on BluRay format, the odds of an English language option are good.

I'm sure that Bandai/Big West knows about the level of fandom in the U.S. And they are aware of the fact that most fans will import, anyway. (thanks to HG's making the legal waters muddy).

Plus, the U.S. and Japan are in the same region with BluRay. If a private individual orders a disc from a Japanese vendor, for their own private viewing, there isn't a damn thing Harmony Gold U.S.A. can do about it.

Bandai/Big West would be crazy not to take advantage of this.

If the new Macross series is going be released on BluRay format, the odds of an English language option are good.

I'm sure that Bandai/Big West knows about the level of fandom in the U.S. And they are aware of the fact that most fans will import, anyway. (thanks to HG's making the legal waters muddy).

Plus, the U.S. and Japan are in the same region with BluRay. If a private individual orders a disc from a Japanese vendor, for their own private viewing, there isn't a damn thing Harmony Gold U.S.A. can do about it.

Bandai/Big West would be crazy not to take advantage of this.

All of that's true, SpacyAce. But their primary audience, for all of that, will be a domestic Japanese audience. It would (to their mind) most likely be an extravagance to hire a competent dub cast and bring them to Japan, as well as hire competent ADR writers and bring them to Japan and record an English track for the show as compared to the potential sales that they would recieve. Remember also that very few people have Blu-Ray or HDDVD right now, and any DVD release is going to either (a) necessitate a switch to an all-region disc (doable, but would they?) or (b) force the end consumer in the US to buy an all-region player or modify their own player with an all-region chip (both expensive options if you don't know where to look) so most of those DVD sales for at least the next couple of years will be on mainline DVDs.

Also remember that Japanese DVDs are often prohibitively expensive for many US-based anime fans (a lesson that Bandai Visual is slowly, and perhaps painfully, learning), and so that has to figure into the Japanese calculations over whether or not it would be cost-effective to localize the show themselves and avoid the legal tangles.

Bandai/Big West certainly should explore the idea, but this isn't a time to hold one's breath, either.