Macross 25th Anniversary! New TV series coming!

wolfx

Roy was killed by an unnamed soldier in SDF Macross as well as DYRL. In SDFM the death is not really attributable to the soldier though since it takes him so much longer to actually die. Still, you can argue the DYRL death is more heroic since it directly saves the lives of Misa and Hik. The TV version had more of a lasting effect on me though. I don't think there's been anything as touching in any sequel to Macross. I actually thought Mac7 was going to do it when Gamlin died in battle. That was such a touching and poignant moment... it could have really been used for some good... then Gamlin was miraculously alive again in the next episode and ruined the whole thing.

Guvava almost getting stepped on in macross 7 is the most scary thing about macross 7! seriously. Go rewatch macross 7 again where guvava is jumping around on the floor and there is a stampede of people running in fear.

Imagine if he had been crushed? If it was gritty and violent like DYRL you would see guvava's blood and guts and insides all hanging out of his body on the floor and mylene would go into depression and maybe start wearing black clothing and having an morbid interest in death. Maybe getting tattooed, nipple piercings, self mutilation etc. and forming a goth metal band instead of singing pop songs. Would not have been pretty. One of max's daughter taking up music may have seemed like a good idea by max, but mylene going through this trauma could also do something to her mind: she turn out to be a drug addict to escape from society, get into a sex scandal with sex videos released of her on the internet to buy more drugs, and be seen as a threat to city 7 society as her music influences other young minds to commit suicide and become angry and violent with the world. Milia and max would be painted as bad parents and mylene would be public enemy no.1 but her fame would cause her to become too powerful as her fans and body guards would worship her as some goddess of music.

Well something like that would work for macross 25. Just have a really messed up character like evangelion but make her a female pilot that loves to kill things while listening to music. Western macross fans will like it. :D Instead of a brightly colored valk with a face, have a black valk made from living zentradi tissue encased in valkryie armor parts. (organic mecha - a cross between zentradi human and protoculture technology) In macross 25 Mylene is all grown up and thrown away her cute little girl image and become a huge success with her metal band which has many songs about death. I can see the Zentradi turning to this music to empower themselves and turn back to their old warrior ways and start to go out of control which is all due to mylene's depressing music that turns the zentradi back to being warriors who like to fight. The military don't do anything though: Mylene uses her elite piloting skills to train the zentradi to be more efficient killers and this helps the soldiers become better pilots, so they let her loose turning a blind eye to all the things she gets herself into. (drug addict, ex pron actress, criminal history etc)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Well something like that would work for macross 25. Just have a really messed up character like evangelion but make her a female pilot that loves to kill things while listening to music. Western macross fans will like it. :D Instead of a brightly colored valk with a face, have a black valk made from living zentradi tissue encased in valkryie armor parts. (organic mecha - a cross between zentradi human and protoculture technology) In macross 25 Mylene is all grown up and thrown away her cute little girl image and become a huge success with her metal band which has many songs about death. I can see the Zentradi turning to this music to empower themselves and turn back to their old warrior ways and start to go out of control which is all due to mylene's depressing music that turns the zentradi back to being warriors who like to fight.

worst idea ever

What about the "living zentradi tissue encased in valkryie armor parts" bit?

You don't think a alien shapeshifting substance living inside the armor is a cool mecha design? It fits right in with the high technology that must be available in the future when things are so sophisticated it is like magic.

Yf21- what looks like bendy armor on the plane. (first use of skin on mecha)

exedol's tentacles from DYRL- showing how the nerves can be used to manipulate the robot parts to make moves quicker and more natural

dr chiba's experiments - shows how you can trap a soul in a cage of basara's music to capture it. Maybe chiba find a way that he can seal a soul inside an organic mecha to give it life? Open the gate to hell on purpose and get a demon to live inside a mecha to make the ultimate killing machine?

When you combine all the technology together what you get is a "bioroid" from the southern cross part of robotech. Perfect evolution from mechanical bots that are slow and unresponsive, to organic mecha which can move smoothly with better efficiency. Forget the disaster of sharon apple taking control of the sdf1 with her AI in macross plus, this thing would eat that for breakfast! Protodevil-possessed super robots are the future of mecha for un spacy. They just need to clone heaps of zentradi to create the farms to feed the mecha in "spiritua points" so the PD entity inside has something to eat and doesn't starve. Dr chiba frankenstein experiments to make the ultimate weapon will be relied upon to defend all future colony ships from rival alien races that want to challenge Human's military might now that we've defeated the most threatening thing in the galaxy and pose a threat to these aliens as they want to control it for themselves. All these rival alien races were just waiting for the perfect time to put thier plans into place after we had done all the work for them by defeating the PD which was stopping them from taking over the galaxy. :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Yeah more YF-21 bendy wing goodness. But not too wacko or we can't make it into a toy maybe lol.

Although you can like how the Eva kit line (LM-HG) can, they got the rubber skin coating and it rocks.

But i don't want to go the way of girly arms like the evas... :wacko:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Roy was killed by an unnamed soldier in SDF Macross as well as DYRL. In SDFM the death is not really attributable to the soldier though since it takes him so much longer to actually die. Still, you can argue the DYRL death is more heroic since it directly saves the lives of Misa and Hik. The TV version had more of a lasting effect on me though. I don't think there's been anything as touching in any sequel to Macross. I actually thought Mac7 was going to do it when Gamlin died in battle. That was such a touching and poignant moment... it could have really been used for some good... then Gamlin was miraculously alive again in the next episode and ruined the whole thing.

Unnamed soldier? C'mon we got even a close-up of him in that scene, it's quamzin krashvera the zentraedi who killed focker in mac DYRL.

You don't think a alien shapeshifting substance living inside the armor is a cool mecha design? It fits right in with the high technology that must be available in the future when things are so sophisticated it is like magic.

exedol's tentacles from DYRL- showing how the nerves can be used to manipulate the robot parts to make moves quicker and more natural

dr chiba's experiments - shows how you can trap a soul in a cage of basara's music to capture it. Maybe chiba find a way that he can seal a soul inside an organic mecha to give it life? Open the gate to hell on purpose and get a demon to live inside a mecha to make the ultimate killing machine?

When you combine all the technology together what you get is a "bioroid" from the southern cross part of robotech. Perfect evolution from mechanical bots that are slow and unresponsive, to organic mecha which can move smoothly with better efficiency. Forget the disaster of sharon apple taking control of the sdf1 with her AI in macross plus, this thing would eat that for breakfast! Protodevil-possessed super robots are the future of mecha for un spacy. They just need to clone heaps of zentradi to create the farms to feed the mecha in "spiritua points" so the PD entity inside has something to eat and doesn't starve. Dr chiba frankenstein experiments to make the ultimate weapon will be relied upon to defend all future colony ships from rival alien races that want to challenge Human's military might now that we've defeated the most threatening thing in the galaxy and pose a threat to these aliens as they want to control it for themselves. All these rival alien races were just waiting for the perfect time to put thier plans into place after we had done all the work for them by defeating the PD which was stopping them from taking over the galaxy. :D

C'mon someone to shut up this guy please!

Nooooooooooooo, I think it is a good thing.

There is a truth, The Macross series become Kawamori personal Macross.

So what, Because every Kawamori produces include some special things, Peace Hope, Environment Problem, Overpopulation... Kawamori think give us some deep things, not only War.

We do not like Macross 7 and Zero, becasue the Aliens mechan have Super Power and non-Robot Surface. Aliens must have Robot like Zentraedi, isn't it?

BTW, Macross 25 include Battle 25 and City 25...

hey hey hey

^^

and...

I am 1000 post~~~~~~~~~

Hehe, don't listen to me kresphy. I'm just a pessimistic fan. :p

Thanks for the continuing updates, we appreciate them! ^_^

The AFOS was a bio-engineered weapon from the PC era and so were the silly looking PD in Mac 7. The AFOS was piloted, while the PD or EVIL to be precise, were autonomous weapons, designed prolly like trained dogs before being taken over by the PD.

It's been done, it was called "Genesis Climber Mospeada".

Flexible composites are not the same as the "grown" mecha of the PC era.

Super high tech PC weaponry was bio-engineered in nature, while the regular armies were equipped with "built" mecha from factory satelites.

Humanity would be no where near the same tech level of bio-engineering in only a few decades of exposure to OTEC.

Need to have sad times in the new series, SDF killed off heaps of the goodies :( Roy, Kaki, Global etc, in Plus we saw Guld

die and that was seriously sad but got seriously cool in the movie version, DAMN that was cool (Roys death in DRYL was a

bit lame.. Guld died with style) Look at Nadesico, poor Joe! JOOEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. :(

Sad deaths spark a good series!

Ja, like others have mentioned, it was Kamjin what killed the Roy in DYRL (wasn't it?). I believe his TV series death was made so much more personal and tragic because of the slow, drawn out way he died, and in Claudia's own quarters no less. In DYRL it was a more heroic death (saving Hikaru and Misa while being taken out by none other than Kamjin) but it was a faster, more violent death. It wasn't given time to hit home quite so hard as the tv series scene.

Personally, aside from Roy's SDF death, I think the most tragic death we see is poor Physica in M7. Not only does he get killed, but they really hit below the belt with that scene of Gamlin going to deliver the news to Physica's wife. It's like the writers were trying to atone for all the times they didn't kill a character in the series.

Oh, you want to talk about someone getting shafted for a death scene, how about poor Kakizaki? I mean, in the TV series his death is pretty sad. but then in the movie it's just funny. "Hah-hah! You're afraid of gir*KABAMIRONICALLYBLOWNUPBYAGIRL* ..."

Just goes to show, it's not the death itself that makes for a sad show, it's the presentation. Also, except for I believe Dynamite 7, every single Macross show has had some tear jerking death scenes (I think, it's been a long time since I saw Macross II, did that have any particularly sad death scenes?) so it's a safe bet that a new tv series will as well. Even Macross 7, considered the most light hearted part of Macross, has at least a couple.

So, when Global dies? I mean, the space port of macross city are named Global in his honor.

I think it's safe to assume that he died of old age. Go check out the chonology at the Macross Compendium some time.

===============================================

Last update:

Jun.11, 2007

2:27(Japan Standard Time)

===============================================

Jun.11, 2007

Some grapevines from Japanese Macross Fans on The Macross Official BBS

http://www.macross.co.jp/bbs/entry.cgi?mod...=tree&no=43

====================================================

NTより

――実際ã®ã€Œãƒžã‚¯ãƒ­ã‚¹25ã€ãŒã©ã®ã‚ˆã†ãªä½œå“ã«ãªã‚‹ã‹ã‚‚ã€ãƒ•ã‚¡ãƒ³ã«ã¨ã£ã¦ã¯æ°—ã«ãªã‚‹ã¨ã“ã‚。

物語ã®ãƒ†ãƒ¼ãƒžã«ã¤ã„ã¦ã‚‚ã€æ²³æ£®ç›£ç£ã«èžã„ã¦ã¿ãŸã€‚

河森「今度ã®ä½œå“ã§ã¯ã€å­¦åœ’を中心ã¨ã—ãŸé’春物語を根幹ã«å–り入れã¦ã„ã¾ã™ã€‚ãŸã¨ãˆã°ãƒ•ã‚¡ãƒ¼ã‚¹ãƒˆã‚·ãƒªãƒ¼ã‚ºã§ã¯ç­‰èº«å¤§ã®æ—¥å¸¸æ€§ã‚’æ„è­˜ã—ã¦ã¾ã—ãŸã—ã€ãã®åŠ‡å ´ç‰ˆã¯èˆžå°ãµã†ã€ï½žï¼—ãŒæ¼«ç”»ãµã†ã€ãƒ—ラスã¯æ´‹ç”»ãµã†ã€ã‚¼ãƒ­ã¯ç¥žè©±ãµã†ã€ãã—ã¦ä»Šå›žã¯â€å­¦åœ’モノâ€ã‚’ã‚ã–ã—ã¦ã„ã¾ã™ã€‚特ã«ãƒ†ã‚£ãƒ¼ãƒ³ã‚¨ã‚¤ã‚¸ã‚ƒãƒ¼ã®äººã«è¦‹ã¦æ¬²ã—ã„ã§ã™ã­ã€‚

今日を楽ã—ã学校ã§éŽã”ã—ã¦ã„ã¦ã‚‚ã€ã‚ã—ãŸã€åŒã˜å ´æ‰€ã§å†ã³ä¼šãˆã‚‹ã¨ã¯é™ã‚‰ãªã„ã€ãã‚“ãªå±é™ºã¨éš£ã‚Šã‚ã‚ã›ã§æš®ã‚‰ã™åŒä¸–代ã®å°‘年少女ãŸã¡ã®ç‰©èªžã§ã™ã€

====================================================

This is a early grape, but I do not know what is NT, so I could not post it.

Now, I think NT is a magazine...

Why the name is Macross 25???

The Japanese Fans said that The New Macross is a School Story(学園モノ) about teenager.

Mr. Kawamori will give us a YA generation's popular story(é’春物語)different from early Macross Series.

All messages from New Type

Dang~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kawamori!!!!!!

If it is a real thing, it is a big joke!!!!

I really hope it is only a grape!!!!!!

But...

Maybe it is a truth...................

Edited by kresphy

The Japanese Fans said that The New Macross is a School Story(学園モノ) about teenager.

Mr. Kawamori will give us a YA generation's popular story(é’春物語)different from early Macross Series.

All messages from New Type

I'm scared :unsure:

Why the name is Macross 25???

:wacko:

:wacko:

Remeber, Hikaru was only 16 years old at the start of SDFM, so teens in Macross are not uncommon.

Also, it could be read as the story is being taken from the POV of a teenager.

The Macross version of Police Academy. :p "Move it! Move it! Move it!"

Well it would be going in a completely different direction. The teenage thing doesn't sound so good, but then again I'm not a teenager anymore and have had more than my fill of teenage angst. :p I just hope that if it is some UN Spacy Academy thing that there's not a lot of stereotypical crap.

You're missing the obvious one here, it could be a U.N. Spacy academy story.

I've been following Mikimoto's Mobile Suit Gundam: Ecole du Ciel manga. I don't know anything about Gundam, but I like Mikimoto. All I've got to say, is if it's anything like that, the next Macross will be pretty sweet.

I think Ecole du Ciel is what Macross 7 Trash should have been.

'school story' or 'skull story' ?? here's to me being EXTREMELY optimistic

学園= School or Academy.

It is not Skull!

ティーンエイジ=teenage

So I think it is School, high school.

You're missing the obvious one here, it could be a U.N. Spacy academy story.

Maybe...

But I am very despair now....

- -

Edited by kresphy

oh crap...

so...school...teenage... = jpop music... hhhmmmmmmmmmm........... oh please for the love all god almighty and the saint, I don't want ANOTHER story about a depressed peace loving antisocial missunderstood kid that's force to pilot a mecha and save humanity from itself.... ugggg

Remeber, Hikaru was only 16 years old at the start of SDFM, so teens in Macross are not uncommon.

Also, it could be read as the story is being taken from the POV of a teenager.

Very true. Hikaru, Max, Kakizaki and Minmei were all teens at the beginning and just barely adults at the end of the series. Hell Misa was an adult at the start, but just barely.

Somehow I think this will be a teen main character who while in school, gets thrust into a war he has no choice but to fight in. Along the way he gets better because they forced his hand, and he yearns for the day he can stop fighting.

For all I know maybe Kawamori will pull a gundam 0083 on us.

Its the 25th anniversary, its gotta be good. He's had previous Macross series to learn from.

Well...look in the bright side. There might be a redux of "Watashi No Kare Wa Piloto". :lol:

"Kyunnn kyuunnn....kyunnn kyunnn....watashi no kare wa pilotooooo!"

so...school...teenage... = jpop music..

I fail to see the connection.

Nevertheless, by broad definition, ALL music associated with ALL of the Macross series, video games, and drama CDs is J-pop.

Given that SDF:M + DYRL? had early '80's idol j-pop, Macross Plus had early '90's J-electronic J-pop and J-experimental J-pop, Macross 7 had J-rock J-pop, and Macross Zero had J-opera J-pop, it's a given that the music in the next Macross series will be a different type of J-pop. (What have we: J-blues, J-jazz, J-rap, J-raggae, J-ska, J-whatever, etc..)

I think we should reserve judgement until after seeing it, and until after giving it some time to perculate through our systems.

Why are they making a(nother) Macross series aimed at teenagers? Because us older Macross fans from both the SDF:M and Macross 7/Plus eras ARE NOT PROFITABLE to the people who ultimately make money off of Macross (these are the same people who sponsor Macross productions, BTW.) The low financial returns on Macross Zero, despite it's warts and hair, is quite evident to this.

Therefore, the next series continues the trend of all Macross productions by aiming at a previously unaware of Macross demographic. With luck, they will turn into Macross fans, and spend enough money to warrant more new productions, wheither that be animation, live action, game, or drama CD.

For all of those in-name-only fans who moan and bemoan the direction that the new Macross series is being rumoured as going in, please keep in mind that it's your own damn fault for not putting money where your mouth is and negatively commenting on Macross, its creators, and especially Mr. Shoji Kawamori to the point that they want nothing to do with this website, and ignore any and all positive suggestions put forward by the membership.

スタジオã¬ãˆã®äº‹å‹™æ‰€ã«:

"英語マクロスファンã®æ€ã†ã‚’見ã¾ã—ょã†?"

"ã»ã‚‰! マクロスãŒæ‚ªã„ . . . è²·ã„ãŸãç„¡ã„ã°ã‹ã‚Šã¨è¨€ã£ã¦ã„ã‚‹!"

"ãã†ã§ã™ã‹ . . . 次ã®ãƒžã‚¯ãƒ­ã‚¹ã¯æ—¥æœ¬ã ã‘ã§ãã‚‹ . . . 残念."

Edited by sketchley

Er, I'd agree that a lot of people moan and complain a bit too much, but I'm not at all certain that has anything to do with the direction Macross is going in (and I'm not even certain what direction that is, because it seems to me that the themes of the show seem to remain pretty constant, and the presentation varies and does not seem to have settled on any one way of approaching the franchise).

Also, the fact that Zero was not all that profitable for them only proves one thing, that it was not profitable. Why was it not profitable? Well, that's debatable, but a quick survey would seem to indicate that it was not that profitable because not a whole of people liked it a whole lot. NOT because they're unwilling to spend money on something they like, but because they didn't like it and they are not willing to spend money on something they didn't like. That is a distinction studio executives seem to have a lot of trouble making. Of course, the western and eastern markets are different, and the opinions expressed on these boards do not necessarily reflect those of your average Japanese Macross fan.

I will also agree, though, that it's far too early to get all up in arms about this new series. A teenage main character? Nothing new to Macross, since even the beginning the characters were primarily teenagers. Plus is actually the odd one out, Isamu and company being in the general area of 25 years old.

School show? I doubt they're going to make it a shojou school drama, so why not wait until we have more information?

Why are they making a(nother) Macross series aimed at teenagers? Because us older Macross fans from both the SDF:M and Macross 7/Plus eras ARE NOT PROFITABLE to the people who ultimately make money off of Macross (these are the same people who sponsor Macross productions, BTW.) The low financial returns on Macross Zero, despite it's warts and hair, is quite evident to this.

Therefore, the next series continues the trend of all Macross productions by aiming at a previously unaware of Macross demographic. With luck, they will turn into Macross fans, and spend enough money to warrant more new productions, wheither that be animation, live action, game, or drama CD.

Yes, you are right

I think so.

We are old, the New Generation will be continued...

But, School Story is toooooo...........

nightmare~~~

- -

I'm still in hope. "School story" could mean a lot of things. Yes, yes we all jump to the conclusion that it will be like EVA where the main is a high school studen. Heck i'm really hoping now it will be something about UN Spacy flight school. I could actually see something like that being more like Mac+ than Mac7 or EVA or Gundam or whatever.

Given that SDF:M + DYRL? had early '80's idol j-pop, Macross Plus had early '90's J-electronic J-pop and J-experimental J-pop, Macross 7 had J-rock J-pop, and Macross Zero had J-opera J-pop, it's a given that the music in the next Macross series will be a different type of J-pop. (What have we: J-blues, J-jazz, J-rap, J-raggae, J-ska, J-whatever, etc..)

What about J-country? I shudder at the thought of rap or country being the new musical direction. I hadn't even thought of ska- that's nightmarish. On the other hand, Macross with reggae could be kinda cool. Macross with blues could bring us back to the mature emotional themes of the original SDFM quite well.

Ah well, we'll just have to see… So how long does fansubbing take on TV shows these days?