Macross 25th Anniversary! New TV series coming!

wolfx

It's really not that impressive. Of the three pages in the magazine devoted to the article, one is on the Macross 25th Anniversary Live concert "Minmay meets Fire Bomber", and another is on the 'Genealogy of song and fight' (Macross History), with little bits on all the Macross anime (inclusive of Macross II) released to date.

That's more than I was expecting...I was expecting only a page or less....

Because of that, the only thing that I can say with any certainty is that the legs and feet of this new VF are quite different from what we've seen to date in VFs. (this is based on one scribble focused on them, and the lego model.) Anything more would be speculation.

Judging by how the SV-51 started and how it ended up, I won't put much with those sketches either. Although, it would be nice to see what direction he's going in.

Animal sidekicks, I'm already worried.

I hope you're kidding, if not then you're looking for things to be worried about. The "school story" comment I can see as being cause for concern (reigned in by the fact that this hasn't really told us anything), but a character may have a cat? Not really rating very high up there as far as warning signs go.

I'd also like to see these drawings. Even if they are rough, I'm mainly interested in seeing what direction the character design style is going.

I hope you're kidding, if not then you're looking for things to be worried about. The "school story" comment I can see as being cause for concern (reigned in by the fact that this hasn't really told us anything), but a character may have a cat? Not really rating very high up there as far as warning signs go.

"One has a cat on the shoulder."

Animal on the shoulder in anime ALWAYS = animal sidekick. They'll be flying a Valkyrie with the cat in the cockpit with them, just watch!

Animal on the shoulder in anime ALWAYS = animal sidekick. They'll be flying a Valkyrie with the cat in the cockpit with them, just watch!

Well, in WWII, some bomber flight crews took their mascots (cats, dogs, pigs, lion cubs,etc.) on missions over enemy territory with them, and I'm pretty sure a few fighter pilots did also; so that, in itself, does not cause me any concern. However, I do agree that the prevalent anime treatment of such pet inclusions is highly suspect.

Well, in WWII, some bomber flight crews took their mascots (cats, dogs, pigs, lion cubs,etc.) on missions over enemy territory with them, and I'm pretty sure a few fighter pilots did also; so that, in itself, does not cause me any concern. However, I do agree that the prevalent anime treatment of such pet inclusions is highly suspect.

That is true but as you said that was in bombers. If Duke Togo is right these will be in fighters, and we already had that in M7.

Thanks Duke, and I'd like to remind everyone that this article is literally on the bleeding-edge of news surrounding Macross 25.

Put bluntly: there's nothing solid (aside from it being a Macross TV series), and we can rest assured that the creators behind the project are working hard developing characters, mecha, and the storyline. Therefore, we should cool the speculation until some more substantive news is released.

Thanks for the SCOPEDA sketchley!

Wait, the next VF series is a Cybuster :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Awesome, thanks Graham! :)

I'm liking some of the fighter mode designs. Not too thrilled with the battroid designs, but of course am waiting to see what the final versions turn out to be. :)

I'm liking some of the character designs, in particular the girls. :D

The New VF looks like a total desgn mesh of the VF-19 & 22.

Perhaps the new series is set in the future, i.e. post 2050AD and the new fighter is a natural evolution of the VF-19 and VF-22 taking the best from both designs.

It would be interesting to spectulate on what improvements future VFs may have. In fact I think we once had such a thread, but I'm too lazy to search for it.

The most useful improvement I can think of would be minaturized, internal multi-use fold boosters.

Graham

Those VF sketches look like very early design concepts, I think we could see a whole different design in the actuall series. The SV-51 went through the same process, actually, the first sketches of the SV-51 look kind of similar to these.

I'm a bit worried about the kid with the pointy ears in the top left corner...reaks of M7 OVA.

Maybe I'm just haven't gotten enough sleep, but were there more character sketches? I'm not seeing the one with the cat.

It's at the very far left behind the kids head.

Perhaps the new series is set in the future, i.e. post 2050AD and the new fighter is a natural evolution of the VF-19 and VF-22 taking the best from both designs.

It would be interesting to spectulate on what improvements future VFs may have. In fact I think we once had such a thread, but I'm too lazy to search for it.

The most useful improvement I can think of would be minaturized, internal multi-use fold boosters.

Graham

If the VF-22 is any indication, then beam weapons should also become standard.

Those VF sketches look like very early design concepts, I think we could see a whole different design in the actuall series. The SV-51 went through the same process, actually, the first sketches of the SV-51 look kind of similar to these.

Anyway, they still look quite good. And I like the head variants.

I'm a bit worried about the kid with the pointy ears in the top left corner...reaks of M7 OVA.

That's a standard zentradi look. Even Guld had pointy ears.

FV

Thanks for the scans, Graham as always.

I like what sort of looks like the main girl on the far right. Pretty cute and demure looking. Love that hair. About pointy ear-ness, weren't all Zentraedi retconned to be pointy-eared in Macross 7 or was it just a trait of the Jenius women?

The new valks do looks sorta like the VF-22 in fighter mode and battroid pics look like the VF-19/ VF-4. I'm stoked!

Anyway, they still look quite good. And I like the head variants.

I'm not saying that I don't like the designs, my point is that we shouldn't jump to any conclusions about these designs because a lot can still change. I just used the SV-51's design process as an example.

That's a standard zentradi look. Even Guld had pointy ears.

I never noticed that, but you just gave me a good excuse to go see M+ again. :)