Macross 25th Anniversary! New TV series coming!

wolfx

See, told ya the Dark Lord knows something. Might not be related, but he knows something. :D

How unencumbered do you expect a girl in her first year of junior high school to be? Also, do you think the ads for the men state they must be single and unmarried to be in the film? LOL, I'm not trying to argue anything here, I just think there's some humor in the ad.

Hitomi Takahashi was only 15 and in the middle of high school entrance exams when she recorded "Bokutachi no Yukue" for GSD. Some of the girls in the band Morning Musume started with the group when they were around 14 with the newest member, Aika Mitsui, turning 14, just this year. Trust me, they start them young. :)

LOL, why does the actress need to be single? What the heck are they going to make her do to get this job??

Maybe they want to make her into a real idol, an instant money-making star (like Aya Hirano for Haruhi). Make the fanboys go crazy and revival of Macross.

Japan does not equal other countries (given that most of the users are English speakers, let's go so far as to say Japan does not equal English speaking countries.)

Education is king in Japan, and getting into a good school is all important. What isn't generally known is the flip-side to all the success stories of the people who successfully navigate through exam hell to get into the best universities. The flip-side being those who start working, or enter apprenticeships after finishing Middle School (aka Jr. High School).

Yes, you read that correctly - middle school.

High School is not mandatory here in Japan, and middle school students have to work their butts off to get accepted into the good ones (and that's only if their parents can afford to send them to the good, aka more expensive, high schools.) I'd go so far as to say that some High Schools should probably be called vocational schools.

In this case, someone in first year of middle school who lands this job, has a good chance of making a career out of it, so they don't have to work so hard in their studies to complete middle school, and don't need to attend high school because, hey, they already have an extremely well paying job - with better wages than most of their classmates will get even after graduating university.

As for her love life - it's part of the image. Would you be more or less interested in a famous woman if she was presently with someone? Whatever the results of this project are, the producers understand the market (Japan) and they know that a single, young woman is much more marketable than someone who is not.

Anyhow, different culture, laws and country. The others hit on excellent points about the possibly whys, kudos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_school#Japan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_education_in_Japan

I'm not holding my breath until something more substantial gets announced. Graham's comments may be mysterious, but ultimately, there's little substance other than a new project is looking for a cast.

Also remember the japanese have some kinda escalator school system where students automatically get accepted into whatever university that the school is associated to. They don't really need to study or anything and no one fails. I don't quite understand this system.

Defeatist! To counterbalance your negativity, I hereby proclaim this to be teh bestest Macross evar!! :p

Hey, I can be strung along with a good spoon feeding as much as the next raging fanboy, but the spoon's gotta have more than a single grain of sugar :)

Also remember the japanese have some kinda escalator school system where students automatically get accepted into whatever university that the school is associated to. They don't really need to study or anything and no one fails. I don't quite understand this system.

Nope. It's usually students who attend certain schools are usually accepted into elite schools higher up the educational ladder, BUT the students still have to work their butts off to get through the entrance exams. (Call it being similar to professional sports teams - those with the money tend to attract, or purchase, the better talent. In teaching - that means the elite schools can charge more money, in turn being able to hire better teachers who better prepare the students to get the right answers on the entrance exams (not necessarily getting a well-rounded education in the process - it's a big controversy right now. There are some reforms in the works in the Diet.))

The 'this school leads into this school leads into this school' phenomenon has resulted in at least one mother murdering a neighbour's child, only because the neighbour's child got a spot in a kindergarten and her kid didn't. The kindergarten in question having had most of it's pupils get into a certain elementary school, which had most of it's pupils get into a certain middle school, which had, etc., ad nasuem. That murder happened in late 1999, so this isn't a new thing. Though, the declining birthrate may reduce the societal pressures that result in these things - however, this is all a topic for another thread.

Back to this topic: more Macross = more happy purchasing customers (hint, Big West, hint, hint!)

Oh, I know a thing or two about more than toys. Certain contacts talk regulaly with a certain other company and news filters down through the grapevine.

This is neither a confirmation or a denial, but I can't say anything at the moment, and I doubt Egan will be allowed to either.

Graham

I think somebody knows a little somethin', somethin'...........Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................................

This is neither a confirmation or a denial, but I can't say anything at the moment, and I doubt Egan will be allowed to either.

Graham

Wow. That pretty much seals that deal.

Well considering only Victor has been specifically mentioned it is entirely possible they are putting together another Macross anniversary CD set and want to debut some new talent on the album.

I'd be curious to find out if Mari Ijima, Akino Arai, Chie Kajiura, Yoshiki Fukuyama & Mika Kaneko have been approached to record on the project.

Personally I'd like to see all these artists pick one or two original Macross songs and do their own rendition and arrangement of the song or even a few duets.

Now THAT could be cool!

*yawns* no official word, I diffenetly don't give a damn just yet. Someone wake me up when we know something Macross is actually coming.

Hey what'd you expect? This is a forum dedicated to this very series.

Anyway, IF this does turn into something, keep in mind that they are in the audition stage now. It could very well be at least 6 months before any release. But as a fan i'm really hoping, too.

Well, until then i'll rewatch each series a few more times :D

Finale? Why must it end? :(

Hikaru and Misa returns as Protodevlin hosts? :ph34r:

The end of 7, Dynamite, & Zero all hint at something big on the horizon. Besides which, as a general story, Macross has run most of its course. Through out the course of the series, humanity has gone through mopping up the Protoculture's mess, to spreading out into what could become a new Stellar Republic. I'd like to see the next big project being the U.N. Spacy going up against a huge interstellar threat, and walking out of it much better off than the Protoculture did.

Blue good ole ambiguous Kawamori damn near spelled out what was to come with the end of Zero. The AFOS wasn't destroyed, and humanity just barely passed its test. The damn thing had to go somewhere. When you combine that with the Protoculture Ruins in 7, & the Ginga Kujira in Dynamite (who were tied to a planet that was definately protoculture influenced), it just smells of super big Protoculture test on the horizon.

Blue good ole ambiguous Kawamori damn near spelled out what was to come with the end of Zero. The AFOS wasn't destroyed, and humanity just barely passed its test. The damn thing had to go somewhere. When you combine that with the Protoculture Ruins in 7, & the Ginga Kujira in Dynamite (who were tied to a planet that was definately protoculture influenced), it just smells of super big Protoculture test on the horizon.

All these "tests" of an arrogant dead race, have gotten quite boring IMO.... How about a REAL story for a change with real drama and tension that grips the audience?

Very hard to tell what it all means. I get the feeling there might be a Macross chapter as part of some bigger anthology movie. That's just a guess of course.

Looks like is something substantial coming otherwise Graham would be able to burst our bubble.

Here is hoping for more news.

Just some reminders - between Macross 7 and Macross Zero, there were several Macross projects that saw some pilot animation produced, but never get the green light for production (some of them can be seen on the Macross 20th Anniversary DVD.)

Also, given the direction of those failed projects, and the direction that Macross Plus, 7 and Zero took the animation, I'm suspecting that if any animation results in this, it'll have a lot of, if not exclusively be, CG.

I'm waiting to be let down by another sub-standard Macross production. I can't believe its been over a decade since Plus was released.

I'm in the same boat there with ya. After the hyper fruitiness of Earth Girl Arjuna and of course Macross 7 (I have not fully watched Macross Zero yet to make a final judgement), I remain skeptical where the great Floating Head will take Macross next...

Ditto.

It´s almost a fact that Kawamori´s involvement in the direction and plot of any NEW production results into a ¨less-than-satisfying piece of work¨ nowadays. In comparison, any new productions he´s been solely involved in mechanical design has actually been wonderful.

Watch Eureka Seven and Aquarion for example.

(that´s my own personal opinion, mind you).

On the bright side, we should take into account that Kawamori is busy with his other productions, that means he will more than likely limit himself just to mecha design.

All this aside, I´ll keep my expectations low for the time being, this could turn to be something great but as of now it could very well be just an anniversary CD.

On the bright side, we should take into account that Kawamori is busy with his other productions, that means he will more than likely limit himself just to mecha design.

What if it's some kind of side story? That would, most likely, mean they'll use existing VF designs, which would be kind of dumb from a marketing point of view. (As in no new toys/ model kits etc. to release upon the masses.)

Wow, I just answered my own question didn't I?... :mellow: