Yves Rossy: rocket powered wing.

Yves Rossy has created probably the greated flying vehicle ever made! Check it out here:

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=61b3...232&cache=1

This has me just completely spellbound.

IPB Image

Image of him with a two engine version of the wing.

IPB Image

here it is flying.

.... amazing.

Edited by KingNor

Holly Crap! Watching that just makes me tingly all over. Just incredible! Wow!

if i was rich and was the type that would go skydiving in the first place...

i'd be all over thing before you could say "danger to public safety"

Edited by KingNor

... Too bad it only last minutes and he can't take off from the ground.

That's true of the current prototype, but at the end of the video it is stated that a future version, in the works, will be designed for extended endurance and take offs. That will be beyond incredible, specially considering that what is shown on the clip is already spellbinding.

That's true of the current prototype, but at the end of the video it is stated that a future version, in the works, will be designed for extended endurance and take offs. That will be beyond incredible, specially considering that what is shown on the clip is already spellbinding.

the fact you need to launch from the air doesn't even bother me, if they could get the flight time up to about 30 mins or so then this thing would be a easy sell.

vertical take off would be cool though, imagine dropping these to downed pilots in the brush, they could launch and fly to safety.

Yeah, I too dream of people flying like the Rocketeer some day. Although I shudder at the thought of its fuel consumption, it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

if i was rich and was the type that would go skydiving in the first place...

i'd be all over thing before you could say "danger to public safety"

Last time Discovery channel covered his rocket powered wings, they did report of his close brush with certain death as well... wings not deploying and rockets not working for short bursts, then coming back on.

Really awesome. But wasn't the military doing something similar? I believe I read it in the Weapons or Science thread. Can't remember if it had jet engines but they wanted to use it to drop para troopers far from a landing zone so they can glide with the wings towards it at low altitutes.