CM's Corporation Legioss/TREAD.

Roger

Which leads to a question: what's with the licensing?

EDIT: Which of course, Promie beat me to the question by mere seconds..

The answer to that question is "WHO CARES???" :lol:

Seriously though, I would probably be interested in the whole licensing thing if Toynami had a stronghold, but now that I can see that that's not the case... I'm not even gonna think about that... I'm no lawyer...

All I care about is what the reviews will be on this and whether I should get it or not. Also if CMs can produce good transformable toys then are they willing to do a 1/32 scale Alpha?

CM's seem to be on a mission to fill all the gaps in robot collectors lives, first they did all the variations of GaoGaiGar and it's weapons, then a die cast Patlabor toy, next up is another unproduced Brave and then these bad ass mofo's.

I can only imagine what they will do next, perhaps that perfect transforming SRX I keep wishing loudly for.

Lynx: HG shouldn't be able to touch CM's, they only exist in Japan and they don't market their products overseas.

Diamond have been importing their stuff for a while so they might have trouble.

Edited by Fort Max

The answer to that question is "WHO CARES???" :lol:

Seriously though, I would probably be interested in the whole licensing thing if Toynami had a stronghold, but now that I can see that that's not the case... I'm not even gonna think about that... I'm no lawyer...

All I care about is what the reviews will be on this and whether I should get it or not. Also if CMs can produce good transformable toys then are they willing to do a 1/32 scale Alpha?

Agreed.

And Lynx I doubt HG can pull a C&D in japan.

The irony of it all: the average at best Shadow Chronicles is sparking interest in Mospeada (at least in my case) and Toynami without even solid plans to do new stuff... and then out of the blue comes another company ready to milk our wallets with better looking stuff :lol:

Speaking of pre-orders, which codename (Eta, etc) applies to Stig's blue version?

Legioss Eta?

*Edit: spelling

Edited by Twoducks

The irony of it all: the average at best Shadow Chronicles is sparkling interest in Mospeada (at least in my case) and Toynami without even solid plans to do new stuff... and then out of the blue comes another company ready to milk our wallets with better looking stuff :lol:

Legioss Eta?

truly, toynami should of had new alpha repaints and betas ready to go when SC came out.

I think you guys are a bit confused... HG has GLOBAL rights to the Legioss/Tread and can, indeed, deliver C&Ds. Also, Toynami does NOT have an exclusive deal with HG meaning that HG CAN allow other companies to make toys based on the designs in Robotech. Saying that HG can't deliver a C&D to a Japanese company is like saying HG CAN distribut its own Mac+ toys because BW can't deliver a C&D to a US company. A wild card here could also be whether or not Tatsunoko still can license products also. Yes, before anyone asks, companies sometimes do deliver licenses to multiple companies even if that means they're going to compete (although they tend not to). The business decision often hinges on questions of inroads to distributors and which company can better reach which market.

So, now that all that cumbersome BS is out of the way, let's all go back to not caring again! The sculpt definitely is taking liberal doses of artistic license but hey, that's okay when it looks good right?!? Unfortunately, if it's the same size as the Toynami MPC than I think we should all hold off on any excitement that it will be more durable. Wait and see definitely seems to be the prudent course. Also, the Tread's connection point is pretty hideous, it looks like a cradle you attach completely separately. I'm a Mospeada whore, i'll buy it without question, and right now it's an early enough prototype where I won't nitpick the flaws just yet... Overall I'm very optimistic... but cautiously so.

I am exited about this. This should put a hold on some of purchases i was planning to do in gundam and macross, unless i see a nice looking vf-1s low vis type yamato toy, or a yf-19 low vis type or a Hammer Thunder armor (all of which are unlikely to happen), but still, if they make a shadow like color of the alpha/bethas, it will go pretty high on the list, if not on top.

Edited by Arthurius

I'm glad someone linked this in the models section! I WOULD buy this toy. It's gonna need some small mods already (the LEGIOS chest looks off), but I'm sure they will work together. There's too many "off scale" parts that make it look like it combines. I think that's the big issue in everyone's head. I actauly started to scratch build a combining unit so I thoroughly studied every screen shot/drawing I could get my hands on. The TREAD does have a cpouple of anime magic elements to it, but it's very workable!

The question is now, am I going to have to sell one of my cars :lol: ! - MT

ewww yuck... breastststs reduction... then great things about japanese toys is that they build it to allow you to customize it, hopefully this will be the same. If we were able to fix the toynami ones ourselves then it wouldn't have been so sucky.

I think you guys are a bit confused... HG has GLOBAL rights to the Legioss/Tread and can, indeed, deliver C&Ds.

I was told something different by Harmony Gold. When it comes to MOSPEADA, HG can license merchandise to be sold anywhere in the world but Japan. If someone wants to sell MOSPEADA merchandise in Japan, they have to get a license from Tatsunoko. For instance, when the Toynami Super-Poseable Alphas were sold in Japan, they were sold through Epoch, who procured the MOSPEADA license from Tatsunoko.

I'm glad that they're making the blue/green/red ones, and it would be super-cool if they did the Dark Legioss (manned and unmanned) but I'm not holding my breath because those would require much more work to make "anime-accurate" toys of them.

As it is, I'm expecting these to be pricey, but if it's worth it I don't mind.

I like the proportions of the Legioss, it looks somewhat like the stylized poster art:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Robotech-Alpha-Cylone-...1QQcmdZViewItem

If you look at the curved lines of the Beta, too, it gives it a real chunky quality like it has in this line art:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~cyc01/images/tread-act.jpg

Edited by Roger

OMG, is that an erasure quote???

I believe the quote is actually an ABBA quote (unless memories of long car journey's to the accompaniement of my mother and sisters choice of musics is deceiving me).

But, back to the Legioss and Tread. I have to say that this is pretty much the best mecha related surprise a company could spring on me this year. Speaking as a big fan of "Mospeada" the opportunity to get my hands on a Legioss/Tread combination is almost too good to be true.

I'd agree that they have taken a certain number of liberties with it - the nose section looks like it is quite skinny for one - I still think it is going to look rather nice. It will go nicely alongside my small gaggle of Legioss. Hopefully they will do it in the "Eta" scheme with matching Tread, but if they wanted to do colour variants I'd very happily pick up one in Hoquet-esque red trim.....

Karl

If this is going to be out by the summer, I think you can kiss a Toynami Tread good-bye.

Why does everyone think the CM's Tread is bad news for Toynami? I'll bet Toynami is absolutely elated with this news, now they have another toy that they can rip-off! B))

Who wants to bet that when Toynami releases their MPC Tread (which is now very likely) that it'll be a carbon copy of the CM's Tread, except with cheaper plastic and a higher pricetag? Robotechies aren't going to know of CM's Tread, so they'll swallow Toynami's version whole.

I was told something different by Harmony Gold. When it comes to MOSPEADA, HG can license merchandise to be sold anywhere in the world but Japan. If someone wants to sell MOSPEADA merchandise in Japan, they have to get a license from Tatsunoko. For instance, when the Toynami Super-Poseable Alphas were sold in Japan, they were sold through Epoch, who procured the MOSPEADA license from Tatsunoko.

Ah, that's the Tatsunoko funkiness that has always confused me. If any company knows funky licensing agreeements it's Tatsunoko. I'll trust your conversation over my piecing together. Tatsunoko and HG being in the corporate bed together it works out similarly anyway and goes back to that discussion about in-roads with distributors and reaching different markets. If HG & Tats communicate well enough they might be able to work out some sort of toy market arbitrage... and we all might benefit from better products. Fingers crossed! Thanks for clarifying Roger!

Edited by jenius

I'm not all that fond of those sculpts, actually. The Alpha proportions look hideous in battloid mode, like someone put it in a rack and stretched the crap out of it. Plus I'm not that fond of the way the nosecone is sticking out at an angle in battloid mode.

Plus the Beta... engh, looks too artsy for my taste. The centreline missles are proud of the main fusilage and the sticking out hands are a big eyesore.

I

the Tread's connection point is pretty hideous, it looks like a cradle you attach completely separately.

It looks more like a ground towing device than a means to attach the Legioss to me so that part doesn't concern me at the moment. But the hands on the Tread being in plain view is another story...

I really need to see this thing in fighter and diver modes before I can pass judgement on it. But I do agree that the intakes are too small and need to be enlarged...badly.

-Kyp

I actually wish they went more for a bulky armored robot look than a slimmer humanoid action figure look.

But yeah great news! At least there is some competition now.

Will be interesting to see these in various modes. I want to see the legioss and beta connected.

HG should just get these released locally as robotech toys imo. :D

Would be interesting to see how durable these things are compared to the mpc. Given they are about the same size, there will be inevitable comparisons between the MPC and this made by fans.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I still don't understand how the hell toynami could do DYRL toys for non-japan fanbase of macross? How come?

I wouldn't be surprised if these mospeada toys were sold on HG RT website (but not labeled Robotech toys) in the same way you can get the macross plus dvds from it.

eg.

With regard to the 1/100 VF-1 toys: those were aimed as toys for global (non-japan) macross fans. (instead of as robotech: macross saga toys)

They could still sell those Toynami MPC Alpha as "robotech: new generation" collector pieces while raking in profit from "Genesis Climber Mospeada" toys, for fans of that in the US/global region. That way they get to cater to fans of both the two *different series. (since the MPC has been almost done and everyone who had wanted one has bought them, they aren't really competing so much now imo with the exception of the beta.)

*no Rick hunter and SDF3 mentioned in mospeada :p Similar story but different enough!

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

It looks more like a ground towing device than a means to attach the Legioss to me so that part doesn't concern me at the moment. But the hands on the Tread being in plain view is another story...

I wish I had some lineart pics because I'm pretty certain that is the actual connecting piece they're using for the Legioss. That landing gear I recall from the lineart (the center one in the cradle) and the two clamps coming upward look to latch onto the hips in fighter mode.

It looks a little more stylized than what I'm used to seeing. But this is a good first start. Glad to see they're putting a cockpit on the Tread!

Hopefully, we'll see a few more pics of both the Legioss and Tread in their various modes in the upcoming months, along with some painted prototypes and some pics of these toys in posed-out, bad-ass action.

Assuming the price is reasonable, the joints are solid/tight, and a few touch-ups are made to these prototypes, I can easily see myself getting one of these.

Perhaps, my Mog avatar will be making an appearance this year afterall. ^_^

In some of the picks you can make out a pin in the arm part. That should be the hinged door that opens to conceal the arm like in the 1/48. Don't see any other use for it.

I'm interested in the little doors you can see in the inside part of each leg of the Legios (next to the missile doors). I guess they play a part in connecting the Legios to the Tread.

I wish I had some lineart pics because I'm pretty certain that is the actual connecting piece they're using for the Legioss. That landing gear I recall from the lineart (the center one in the cradle) and the two clamps coming upward look to latch onto the hips in fighter mode.

here ya go

[attachmentid=40737]

[attachmentid=40738]

[attachmentid=40739]

post-515-1172447071_thumb.jpg

post-515-1172447084_thumb.jpg

post-515-1172447095_thumb.jpg