where to get new masterpeice megatron without that STUPID ORANGE PLUG&

natgun

I am foaming at the mouth for the new takara megatron masterpiece edition:

http://www.bbts.com/bbts/product.aspx?prod...amp;mode=retail

But I simply will not accept a permanently affixed orange plug on the end of the barrel... in fact, the idea of anyone opening the packages other than me is maddening. :angry: I understand there are laws to be upheld.. but honestly here people, i have had airsoft guns :ph34r: imported into this country that are essentially identical to the real thing without having to deal with this orange plug madness.

there absolutely has to be someone who can get me 2 of these in pristine unopened condition....

help :(

:lol:

I think everyone else is trying to do the same thing.

If we go into Toronto for vacation late this summer, I'll try picking some up, I never get stopped at customs. But until we get my son's surgery all paid off, vacations this year are canceled. :angry:

Agesthreeandup has advertised that they're not going to put orange plugs on him. However, the last two packages I ordered from them took three weeks to arrive. If you're in the states, just keep that in mind.

JRS Toyworld (jrstoyworld.com) said that they weren't too, but that may have changed.

Personally I'm waiting for all the first week hoopla to die out so I can read where everyone bought theirs from and what their experiences were and then make a purchasing decision of where to buy based on that.

Just a word of caution to those ordering non-DOT approved orange tipped Megatrons from overseas, be aware that if your package is opened by customs and they don't find that orange tip they can seize your toy. Admittedly it is a one in a hundred chance but still it is a "risk" if you catch my meaning. DOT Orange marking law states that once you the consumer own the product you can legally remove that orange marking but it must be in place to sell or resell it and transfer it across state lines. It would be wiser IMHO to buy from a middle man who already has the non-DOT orange tipped Megatrons inside the US, that way you the buyer are not taking a risk on having your toy confiscated and it is the seller who has the "risk" on them.

Is the thing really permanently attached (as in glued or something), or will it be removable? If it's just a simple matter of prying the dumb thing off, then no biggie ... if it's not removable without damaging the toy, then that's a different matter ...

I got this from HLJ..

Special note about this product

For customers in the United States ONLY, HobbyLink Japan will be placing a plastic orange cap over the end of the barrel in order to keep this toy in compliance with Title 15, Chapter 76 of the United States Code.

Installing this cap on the item will require our staff to open the packaging, which will break any tape sealing the box flaps. This will be performed with the utmost care, but of course it will prevent us from delivering this product to US customers in "unopened" condition. Note that without this modification, your purchase could be confiscated by the US Customs Service and/or you could be charged with a crime under the above US Federal Law.

HobbyLink Japan understands and appreciates the desires of US-based toy collectors related to merchandise of this nature, and we feel this is the best solution to meet those needs under the circumstances. In order to maintain your item's compliance with US laws, we recommend that you not snap off the plastic cap after you have received the item.

It looks like they're saying it can be snapped off? :blink:

US DOT law specifies that the orange marking must be "permanent" and that it cannot be simply "removed". This usually means the use of orange paint or an orange plastic piece glued on or in the muzzle of the barrel.

Basically this toy is getting "airsofted". All the airsoft you see with orange markings on the barrels are what you can expect for this toy. Some of them are painted, others have an orange "barrel plug" and some have an extra cylinder piece glued on the end of the barrel. Any way you shake it it will take some doing to remove or "cover up" the orange barrel markings. From what I have seen of airsoft most companies will opt for paint as it is cheapest... some glue the extra piece on the end but it is usually not the cheapest option to do.

The REAL kick in the balls that I'm not reading on any of these sites is the possible inclusion of "trademarked" markings on Megatron. If he is marked with any "Walther" markings some jumpy Customs agents demand that those are removed or blocked to conform to US copyright and trademark law... same thing that happens to airsoft every now and then.

Sucks to be a toy gun in the USA these days. :ph34r:

That is terrible. I don't collect Transformers, but I can just imagine how ballistic I'd go if some law demanded the after-market addition of a orange plug to the gun pod of one of my imported Yammies. Whoever thought there would be a border-cross market for toy guns across the US-Canada border :)

As we bring up often---nothing is truely permanent. No matter what they do to it, I'm pretty sure a cutting torch could get it off. Or a jackhammer. It's all about--what does it take to get it off, without damaging the toy, or at least, cosmetic damage.

I already asked, and I KNOW someone said something about it in the Mega TF Thread (but I am not going to spend 4 hours looking for it): do any of you know whether or not he's coming packaged in robot mode or gun mode?

Seems to me that it they package him like they did Prime, it's going to take a real asshat to notice what he is at a customs checkpoint and seize it for not having the marker and in any case if he is in bot mode, that makes it pretty easy to import him without having to worry about it.

So, does anyone know yet and am I completely wrong about it being a non-issue in that case?

It may be a moot point what mode they actually package him in, if they display a "gun" on the package that is not obviously a small scale "prop" for the action figure that will prompt Customs agents to open the box looking for the "gun" that they cannot readily "see" in the package. Never underestimate the pickiness of US Customs... and at the same time don't underestimate the fear of importers of being caught. Big places like Hobby Link Japan would be facing multiple charges if they tried to ship these toys unmarked en masse into the US and got caught.

We also have to wonder if the US Customs has not been "tipped off" about these toys and will be actively looking for them. I know in the past, especially during the "boom" of airsoft, US Customs was getting weekly white papers notifying them of specific "toys" to keep an eye out for and certain "features" to look for in items coming into the US. These guys are in place mostly to find the real illegal items like actual firearms, drugs, contraband and the like but they usually end up seizing things like this Megatron toy because most criminals are generally too smart to mail controlled substances through the postal system across boarders.

Hey blame Lazer tag.

If I'm not mistaken there were some stories about idiot kids playing lazer tag at night in the park back in the 80's shot and killed by the police. Then the host of "FIGHT BACK!" (remember that show?) was held hostage at a tv studio but a nut with a fake gun.

In case folks are wondering, this is the actual verbiage of the federal law.

(this is going to be long, so if you are not interested just scroll past)

PART 1150—MARKING OF TOY, LOOK-ALIKE AND IMITATION FIREARMS

AUTHORITY: Section 4 of the Federal Energy Management Improvement Act of 1988, 15 U.S.C. 5001.

SOURCE: 54 FR 19358, May 5, 1989, unless otherwise noted.

§ 1150.1 Applicability.

This part applies to toy, look-alike, and imitation firearms (‘‘devices’’) having the appearance, shape, and/or configuration of a firearm and produced or manufactured and entered into commerce on or after May 5, 1989, including devices modelled on real firearms manufactured, designed, and produced since 1898. This part does not apply to:

(a) Non-firing collector replica antique firearms, which look authentic and may be a scale model but are not intended as toys modelled on real firearms designed, manufactured, and produced prior to 1898;

(b) Traditional B–B, paint-ball, or pellet-firing air guns that expel a projectile through the force of compressed air, compressed gas or mechanical spring action, or any combination thereof, as described in American Society for Testing and Materials standard F 589–85, Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Non-Powder Guns, June 28, 1985. This incorporation by reference was approved by the Director of the Federal Register in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 CFR part 51. Copies may be obtained from the American Society for Testing and Materials, 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103. Copies may be inspected at the office of the Associate Director for Industry and Standards, National Institute for Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, Maryland, or at the Office of the Federal Register, 800 North Capitol Street, NW., suite 700, Washington, DC; and

© Decorative, ornamental, and miniature objects having the appearance, shape and/or configuration of a firearm, including those intended to be displayed on a desk or worn on bracelets, necklaces, key chains, and so on, provided that the objects measure no more than thirty-eight (38) millimeters in height by seventy (70) millimeters in length, the length measurement excluding any gun stock length measurement. [57 FR 48453, Oct. 26, 1992]

§ 1150.2 Prohibitions.

No person shall manufacture, enter into commerce, ship, transport, or receive any toy, look-alike, or imitation firearm (‘‘device’’) covered by this part as set forth in § 1150.1 of this part unless such device contains, or has affixed to it, one of the markings set forth in § 1150.3 of this part, or unless this prohibition has been waived by § 1150.4 of this part. [54 FR 19358, May 5, 1989]

§ 1150.3 Approved markings.

The following markings are approved by the Secretary of Commerce:

(a) A blaze orange (Federal Standard 595a, February, 1987, color number 12199, issued by the General Services Administration) or orange color brighter than that specified by the federal standard color number, solid plug permanently affixed to the muzzle end of the barrel as an integral part of the entire device and recessed no more than 6 millimeters from the muzzle end of the barrel. This incorporation by reference was approved by the Director of the Federal Register in accordance with U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 CFR part 51. Copies of Federal Standard 595a may be obtained from the Office of Engineering and Technical Management, Chemical Technology Division, Paints Branch, General Services Administration, Washington, DC 20406. Copies may be inspected at the office of the Associate Director for Industry and Standards, National Institute for Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, Maryland, or at the Office of the Federal Register, 800 North Capitol Street, NW., suite 700, Washington, DC.

(b) A blaze orange (Federal Standard 595a, February, 1987, color number 12199, issued by the General Services Administration) or orange color brighter than that specified by the Federal Standard color number, marking permanently affixed to the exterior surface of the barrel, covering the circumference

of the barrel from the muzzle end for a depth of at least 6 millimeters. This incorporation by reference

was approved by the Director for the Federal Register in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 552 (a) and 1 CFR part 51. Copies of Federal Standard 595a may be obtained from the Office of Engineering and Technical Management, Chemical Technology Division, Paints Branch, General Services Administration, Washington, DC 20406. Copies may be inspected at the office of the Associate Director for Industry and Standards, National Institute for Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, Maryland, or at the Office of the Federal Register, 800 North Capitol Street, NW., suite 700, Washington, DC.

© Construction of the device entirely of transparent or translucent materials which permits unmistakable

observation of the device’s complete contents.

(d) Coloration of the entire exterior surface of the device in white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue, bright pink, or bright purple, either singly or as the predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern. [54 FR 19358, May 5, 1989, as amended at 57 FR 48454, Oct. 26, 1992]

§ 1150.4 Waiver.

The prohibitions set forth in § 1150.2 of this part may be waived for any toy, look-alike or imitation firearm that will be used only in the theatrical, movie or television industries. A request for such a waiver should be made, in writing, to the Chief Counsel for Technology, United States Department of Commerce, Washington, DC 20230. The request must include a sworn affidavit which states that the toy, lookalike, or imitation firearm will be used only in the theatrical, movie or television industry. A sample of the item must be included with the request. [57 FR 48454, Oct. 26, 1992]

§ 1150.5 Preemption.

In accordance with section 4(g) of the Federal Energy Management Improvement Act of 1988 (15 U.S.C. 5001(g)), the provisions of section 4(a) of that Act and the provisions of this part supersede any provision of State or local laws or ordinances which provides for markings or identification inconsistent with the provisions of section 4 of that Act or the provisions of this part. [54 FR 19358, May 5, 1989]

Translation for those who don't speak legaleze:

Megatron must have the orange markings to be legal to import or sell inside the US. Anyone importing or selling this Megatron toy without federally approved orange markings is in violation of Section 4 of the Federal Energy Management Improvement Act § 1150.2, which is a federal crime.

If you manage to get a Megatron in the country without the markings is big Daddy Fed going to come to your house, kick in your door and go Waco on you? Hell no. Will he confiscate your toy if he catches it in customs? Yes. As I said earlier, those who wish to "run the blockade" are better off buying from a US seller who already has the non-marked Megatrons inside the country. Let them take the risks, not you.