Toynami Announces Masterpiece Cyclones at Toyfair

I'm not saying anyone is jumping the gun here, but aren't you all jumping the gun? The price will decline and you know you're all going to own one when you find it for sale 50% off at some point... and at that point you're probably going to think it's a good enough toy. I mean, isn't that par for how these Toynami's go? Besides, we don't know how it's engineered yet, we don't know if it has any gimmicks, and while it's safe to assume it won't be the strongest thing in the world we already know it's more poseable than the old Gakken (where the Singapore fetches $200+ and the Japan catches about $400). I'm going to buy one, I'll probably pay full price for the Scott one just to know I'll never be like the people searching for a Scott Alpha now, and I'll probably open it with high expectations despite the fact Toynami let me down so much on those Alphas.

I also don't think you'll be seeing anyone else make Ride Armors for quite a while... if ever... though I'd love to be proven wrong. In the meantime Toynami is stating only 10K runs this time... do you think they'll stick to it?

Edited by jenius

Given the interest the manufacturers have shown for 80's mecha, I think it's safe to assume that someone will make them eventually. It's a no brainer, really, although I agree it may take quite some time.

As for price, well, yeah, even if the toy sucks (and I sincerely hope it doesn't), everyone will buy it if the price is right (myself included). As it is now, they aren't worth the 80 bucks they're asking for them, even if the engineering was good enough. That rider doesn't even look like Scott! That was forgivable 20 years ago, but we're not kids anymore. I think Toynami should realize that.

I'm not saying anyone is jumping the gun here, but aren't you all jumping the gun?

Oh, you did not mean to say anyone is jumping the gun, just that everyone is jumping the gun?

:D:lol::D

The price will decline and you know you're all going to own one when you find it for sale 50% off at some point...

Of course. But that is added effort that I find isn't really worth my while. Previously, Toynami was the only game in town, so it was unavoidable. Now, the consumer potentially has a choice (certainly in the case of the Alpha and Beta, and likely for the Cyclones too), so I'm a lot more price sensitive and choosy -- which would give me more value for money? Even at 50% off, I'm not sure whether a Toynami Alpha would bring me value, but that's a personal opinion.

I'm going to buy one, I'll probably pay full price for the Scott one just to know I'll never be like the people searching for a Scott Alpha now, and I'll probably open it with high expectations despite the fact Toynami let me down so much on those Alphas.

If I want a toy, I pay the best price I can find and afford for it at a given point in time. If I could find say, a Yammie 1/48 VF-1S with a good price now, and my wallet isn't screaming, I can pay for it (and also the inevitable FAST packs...). If my wallet is screaming, I might salivate but I'll pass. Otherwise it just boils down to how badly I want the toy.

Do I think I want a Scott Cyclone? Not hard enough grab at the heartstrings, so no, I'll pass. May the 1 of 10,000 that I passed on get to somebody who really wants it.

I'm going to I also don't think you'll be seeing anyone else make Ride Armors for quite a while... if ever... though I'd love to be proven wrong. In the meantime Toynami is stating only 10K runs this time... do you think they'll stick to it?

I dunno. Toynami claims tend to be a bit on the wild side for my taste. I don't really care about the production numbers of a toy, so long enough is in the market to make it affordable. 10K or 100K is meaningless since I would never be able to gather so many in a single location.

The theortical question is, once the toy gets a bit rarer -- as 9K of them find good homes -- is the price on the remaining 1K of items going to go up or go down? Despite a claimed limited run for their Veritechs and Alphas, I think in the main the secondary market prices for MPCs are steadying at MSRP or slightly lower. Maybe it's too soon to ask, but it seems a good sign that market forces are valuing Toynami products at their true worth. Does that mean the same would happen for the Cyclone? I like to think humanity is a race of habits...

With all due respect, no one with chimpanzee IQ or higher should be even a little bit surprised by the price. :lol:

Not that you have to LIKE the price, but acting surprised by it is either the epitome of disingenuousness or the pit of stupidity.

The second Cyclone will be Lancer's? No way in hell. Mark my words, Rand's will be number 2. Once they realize they have to make a whole new Cyclone for Lancer, they'll push that off to some time later, and it will eventually become vaporware. I'll even wager money on it.

I think you are wrong about that. There may be a delay but I'm almost certain Toynami will make a Lancer Cyclone. After all, you don't think it is merely a coincidence that the Toynami ride armor shown at the Toy Fair looks so similar to the old Imai transformable model do you? Didn't think so. And since Imai also made a transformable model of Lancer's cyclone you can almost be assured that Toynami will steal...err, borrow elements of the design to make their own. Now when it comes to a Hoquet/Rook ride armor, since there are no transformable models of that one to copy I wouldn't be suprised if we never see it. (Which I think is a large part of the reason a Toynami Beta has not made it into production.) Toynami isn't well know for being innovative with toy designs (they just make really cool boxes).

And since Imai also made a transformable model of Lancer's cyclone you can almost be assured that Toynami will steal...err, borrow elements of the design to make their own.
If they ever make a Lancer Cycone, which I still doubt, then yeah, they'll "steal" from the Imai design. Although I don't mind them stealing at all; I was one of the few who really liked their Aplha fighters, which I thought not only "stole" from the Imai model but improved upon it.

Now when it comes to a Hoquet/Rook ride armor, since there are no transformable models of that one to copy I wouldn't be suprised if we never see it.
Agreed.

EDIT: Wanna make a friendly wager that that they will ever make the Lancer? I'm game. :)

Edited by danth

Rook's and Rands. That's all i want~!

Hope they include the Gallants (with conversion attachments!!!) and the Sal-9 pistols as accessories.

Especially a Gallant! OOo OOo that rocket laucher from memory.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Gallants?

Not being funny but what was that called in Mospeada?

As far as I can recall it was called the Gallant in Mospeada as well. I'm fairly sure we see it stenciled above the hand-grip of Ray's in a couple of close-up shots of him holding the weapon. (But I could be wrong - I'm relying on what I use for a memory here...)

Karl

Gallant/s were the standard issue pistols. (yes it's the RT roleplaying game terms)

From memory they could be used as straight single shot pistols and be converted with the attachments into semi auto.

There is only really a few armaments used in the series, and Gallants were the most used. (as in when they were on foot).

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

• 2 weeks later...

That's true in principle, however (speaking as one of Toynami's biggest defenders here) Toynami doesn't have a great track record for correcting things as they go. The alphas didn't improve at all with later releases.

Of course, Toynami's first releases don't crumble in your hand the way that Yamato's do, but that's a different question. :D

And remember these won't simply be repaints and head swaps like their last offering, these will require new parts, lancer's hubcaps/arm swords, and moreso with Rook's entire cyclone and body.

While I am still terribly let down with Toynami for not making the slight improvements they should have made to the Alpha line that would have made them much better toys (improvements they probably still won't have made on the upcoming Shadow Chronicles Alphas) I will point out that they did make some pretty great improvements in their 1/100 line. The 1/100 Wave2 is pretty sweet in comparison to the first wave. Does this mark a new trend at Toynami of actually listening to its customers? We can only hope.

And remember these won't simply be repaints and head swaps like their last offering, these will require new parts, lancer's hubcaps/arm swords, and moreso with Rook's entire cyclone and body.

I have to say I'm not sure I will be picking these up. Although I'm not as disappointed as some with Toynami's original VF-1's (got the two I have for a reasonably cheap price) I was very disappointed with the only Legios I've bought from them so far, the number of design flaws that it has makes me doubt their ability to pull off something more complicated and delicate in the shape of the Mospeadas. It is rather a shame, because there is one way they could have actually dragged my Paper Pounds kicking and screaming from my wallet - and that's if they had done a Hoquet type in the first wave. Ah well. Perhaps it is in the better interests of my wallet that they did not.

Karl

• 3 months later...

It's looking surprisingly good. Hopefully the quality will be there. (Yeah, Right! :rolleyes: )

I agree, the front of the bike could use some more taper, or a slight blending of some edges. But even in the anime, it isn't an especially sleek design.

I'm just glad it appears to have a removable helmet rather than swappable heads.

I'm not expecting much on the QC, but there should be less small moving parts on this than a Valk or a Legioss, so I'll probably give it a chance and buy it like the dumb lemming I am.

I ended up selling my Bernard Alpha Fighter b/c of the overall jaunty design.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

jaun·ty (jôn'tē, jän'-) Pronunciation Key

adj. jaun·ti·er, jaun·ti·est

Having a buoyant or self-confident air; brisk.

Crisp and dapper in appearance; natty.

I totally want a dapper, debonair transforming robot!