Toynami Announces Masterpiece Cyclones at Toyfair

The Cyclones look pretty nice to me. I've never seen Mospeada or the New Gen saga of Robotech, but I've always liked the look of the Cyclone/Ride Armor. I'm guessing Toynami will be asking their standard rip-off MSRP of $80. I'll wait to pick one up when they're (hopefully) going for $50-$60.

Edited by mister_e

Model comparison pics:

Ride Armor Models

Thanks for the image. The picture of the "Gakken 1/12 Ride Armor" is not actually a production 1/12 Gakken; it looks like either an early prototype, or another model kit.

A couple of things that do visually appeal to me on the new toynami are the fact that the feet look like they have some articulation, which was a missing feature sorely needed on the Gakken, and that the thigh-armor appears to be in the right proportions in ride-armor mode... Though it will remain to be seen how well the forward ends of the thigh-armor actually anchor to the bike... Also, the proportions of the chest/forward undercarriage, and the detailing of the vertical axle slides look a little dubious to me...

I will definitely pick one up, if only to able to check it out and resell.

Edited by Hiriyu

Good catch... I was gonna say something, but I figured it was just something different... that's not the Gak Ride Armor... looks like a model.

Gakken made models also. I don't own any but Totoro's pic would be, if it's correct, the picture of the Gakken model, not the toy you're thinking of. I believe the toy is 1/8 scale, not 1/12 scale.

Meh, I don't know.

I got an red Alpha because I like the 6J's head, but Toynami's sculpt wasn't to my liking.. tempted to do one myself. The engineering's quite scary, it works but it feels like it would rattle apart if I try too hard, and the diecast is in all the weird places.. I won't mind having an all plastic Alpha, really. In other words, yes, I have an Alpha, but it's an Alpha I don't really want to play or touch for fear it would disintegrate.

With that track record in mind, and given that the Cyclone is actually much more challenging as a transforming item, I'm not too sure whether I want to put down money for it. Particularly at the prices they tend to charge.

Ooh, looks like there might be a targeting scope hidden away in the right chest piece..

I'm a little confused about where the front shocks are going to go, the Armor mode pics don't seem to show them anywhere (on the models and toys they're very promient over the arms).

I think the wonkiness is mostly contributable to the fact the bike looks a bit too small for the rider.

I'd have to agree about the bike and rider proportions. I'd imagine that the shocks must fold up into the underside of the front fairing, which would be a plus. I didn't catch the sight hatch, hafta take another look... The paint and details also look pretty poor in these pics, though it may because it's hand painted.

I must admit, that for a Masterpiece, it really doesn't seem to add much of anything... while we can't say yet because it isn't out, im willing to bet that for playability it;d still be better to track down a Gakken (one of my favorite toys ever!) and for the best detail and proportions, a kitted out model would probably still be better.

I will give them points if they stick with swappable hands tho.... while I think posable hands are fun too, Toynami has already prove they can't make good ones, and in the end swappable posed hands will just always look better...

while I think posable hands are fun too, Toynami has already prove they can't make good ones, and in the end swappable posed hands will just always look better...

The poseable hands on the VF-1 series blow away anything done by Yamato to date. They might not be the best poseable hands on any toy ever but they work pretty darn well. If the Alpha hands were remolded out of a different material they'd be stellar (although I don't have one in front of me so I think they may be lacking in the wrist articulation field). I'm happy with swappable hands though but I would like for one set of hands to work in both modes.

One thing it definitely has is interchangable hands. I think I would've preferred jointed fingers, but let's see where the prototype goes from here.

One where the thing gives us the bird, so Toynami can just tell us exactly what they've been trying to tell us in the first place.

I'm gonna wait and see on these. Personally, I wonder just how "articulated" these figures truly are. Can we pose them in a sprawled-out position, guns blazing, without worrying about the arms flopping down or the figure collapsing under its own weight?

I'd wet myself if they had Revoltech-style joints on these, but I know that would just be wishful thinking on my part.

Since I'm a bigger fan of Blow Superior/Lancer's ride, I'll just wait for the reviews on Scott's Cyclone and plan accordingly.

One thing about the IMAI design is that you have to pull the rider's head off in order to get the armor to fit over his torso. It's sort of forgivable (but still creepy) for a model, but I wonder if that'll be the case on the toy. Looks like the opening in the pictures is too small to fit the helmet through, decapitation may be required...

ooo, just when i thought things couldn't get better, they just got worse.

i love mospeada toys but ii'm waiting this one out like all the other smart folks.

why pay retail for something we know will likely be a POS in some way? i can see it now...

"my cyclone was broken straight out the box"

"i moved the arm a bit, that was my biggest mistake"

"i spun the realistic rubber tires and they just fell off"

"i got 2 left arms and 2 right hands"

"wait minute the hands are too small!"

"my cyclone won't stand"

"does anyone else have this problem?"

toynami FTW!!!!11!111! :lol:

Yeah same sentiments as everyone else. Wait and see. They copy designs but can't improve on anything...at least from the looks of it. And why the heck are they releaseing Sue but not Rook? That's some seriously lame sh!t.

And on that SC Alpha....it looks like someone threw it in the wash with purple socks and they bled all over the white parts.

wow... this is interesting!! i'll at least pick up 1.... probably Scott's cyclone just to have one.....

depending on the QC issues.... i may follow suit... but why only 3 releases???

and Ren never gets any love... poor guy... didn't he originally fly the green alpha a lot in the series???

and he has the yellow cyclone with the hand gun.....

and Ren never gets any love... poor guy... didn't he originally fly the green alpha a lot in the series???

and he has the yellow cyclone with the hand gun.....

The green Alpha historically in toys has always been attributed to Yellow although yes, Rey does fly it occasionally. Rey also flies the Beta a couple times. The problem with his ride armor is that it's just a less cool version of Stig's. What would be cool is if you could swap Stig's head with Rey's and they included the two pieces for the arms to convert the Ride Armor into whichever you liked (obviously you'd need a more robust sticker sheet as well). Do I think that would ever happen? No... not it a toy, just models.

Unlike most my other reviews that take several months to come out, I'll preorder these to get them pretty quick and do as thorough a review as possible on my site.

Edited by jenius

ooo, just when i thought things couldn't get better, they just got worse.

i love mospeada toys but ii'm waiting this one out like all the other smart folks.

why pay retail for something we know will likely be a POS in some way? i can see it now...

"my cyclone was broken straight out the box"

"i moved the arm a bit, that was my biggest mistake"

"i spun the realistic rubber tires and they just fell off"

"i got 2 left arms and 2 right hands"

"wait minute the hands are too small!"

"my cyclone won't stand"

"does anyone else have this problem?"

toynami FTW!!!!11!111! :lol:

That was pretty much what everyone (including me) was posting when we got our Yamato Garlands.

So far I don't like it. The sculpt is too wonky for a 21st century toy. Besides, there's a lot of things that can go wrong with this toy and most likely will, like the poseability and head sculpt of the figure (an accurate head sculp is very important for me in a toy that size).

Since the Cyclons aren't perfect transformation by nature anyway (i.e. armplates), I'm not too hyped about new Cyclons, but as a bike lover and a Mospeada fan, I'd love a cool looking sculpt that these don´t have.

Those new Shadow Chronicles Alphas don't do anything for me either, specially the fuchsia and blue one, eww! But I want to read reviews on improbable improvements over the previous releases.

What has me (a bit) excited is the fact that Toynami is showing the Beta again.

There seems to be a lot of negativity in this thread towards both Toynami and their MPC Cyclone, which I find a bit odd, considering the product isn't even out and nobody here has actually held a sample yet.

To me it doesn't look too bad and if they can make it even slightly more durable than the old Gakken toy and add better articulation to the rider (my main dislkie of the Gakken), then I'll be happy.

I thought most people here where happy with the QC on Toynami's 1/100 VF-1 toys, so I'm surprised that there are a lot of complaints about the QC.

Hopefully, Toynami will start using CAD/CAM for design and manufacturing.

Graham

There seems to be a lot of negativity in this thread towards both Toynami and their MPC Cyclone, which I find a bit odd, considering the product isn't even out and nobody here has actually held a sample yet.

To me it doesn't look too bad and if they can make it even slightly more durable than the old Gakken toy and add better articulation to the rider (my main dislkie of the Gakken), then I'll be happy.

I thought most people here where happy with the QC on Toynami's 1/100 VF-1 toys, so I'm surprised that there are a lot of complaints about the QC.

Hopefully, Toynami will start using CAD/CAM for design and manufacturing.

Graham

Graham, why should it be surprising? Toynami had a reputation more for packaging then for quality -- both MPC VF and MPC Alpha -- and they had promised more than they delivered previously; such track records are not good things. The 1/100 line is more an exception than a rule, really.

It's really a case of "Fool me once".. I'm more than willing to sit and wait, but I'm not going to react to this the way I might to a Yamato product.

Given the current sentiment of the board:

"I'll never buy a Yamato first run product again"

"Everything costs too much"

"These companies are intentionally going out of their way to screw us"

"Every piece on my toy breaks"

It should be anything but surprising to see negativity immediately upon the discussion of any new toy. I think it's healthy though, set your hopes real low and maybe your expectations will be surpassed.

The amount of negativity on the toy forums is getting so bad at the moment that I'm thinking of taking a break from posting of even reading the threads there for a few months and just confining my posting on Macrossworld to a select few threads in the other anime forum.

While there are some genuine issues with some of the toys, the amount of whining, nitpicking, complaining and hating in many of the posts has just gotten so extreme that I'm no longer finding enjoyment when viewing the toy forum. In fact the opposite is true and it's just getting too depressing.

Graham

Negativity towards Toynami for me is well justified as I've bought the products that I talk about. And I praise the Voltron after handling it. Honestly I don't see how anyone can start a thread about toynami and have it all sunshine and roses. I'd think the world has gone upside down if it did.

You wanna discuss toys in a positive manner... how about that 1/6th Aliens power loader from Hot toys. How about that 1/6 scale ED-209. I'm excited about the MP Megatron and I'm not even a transformers fan. There's plenty of toys to be excited about but looking for it in a Toynami thread wouldnt be the place to find it.

As for the toy section, I hardly read most of that stuff. I skim thru it as a mod and sometimes I see something that I want to remark on. But let's face it. Yamato's QC hasn't earned the praise that the toys should be getting. The design is awesome but with all the parts breaking epidemically, it's somewhat expected. I love the Yamato toys that I have, but I'm apprehensive to buy them now on first release. That's no one's fault but Yamato's. If the majority of the toys were still being manufactured by Bandai the I would think that the climate would be a lot different.

The Mospeada designs are awesome and I get excited seeing them in toy form. That kind of excitement should be carried on when you get these toys in your hand. But over and over when I finally get these POSs delivered I feel like I've been suckered... not a good way to feel after spending so much money and time building yourself up for it. Toys are purchases based on luxury not necessity... I should feel like I spent my extra money well... not like I just wasted it.

The amount of negativity on the toy forums is getting so bad at the moment that I'm thinking of taking a break from posting of even reading the threads there for a few months and just confining my posting on Macrossworld to a select few threads in the other anime forum.

Graham

Hey, we Votoms fans are all in praise of the beautiful Takara Dual Model Zwei Scopedogs.

The Zoid fans all love our Zoids too.

C'mon, be fair. When I play with my KFM Zoids or DMZ Scopedog's or Deluxe DX 12 inch Sazabi (ok granted they don't transform) I _really_ do NOT have to worry about the figgin arm falling off or the elbow snapping and stress marks on the plastic etc etc.

OK so the Yamato's transform, but doesn't the fact that it cost 5x what my other toys do contribute to the QC to make it at least comparable in toughness?