Transformers Super Thread 5

Some news regarding Masterpiece Megs from Los' store updates.

It is getting close to release date and we have some news regarding Masterpiece MP-05 Megatron. The orange cap will be an after-market modification, which will require our supplier to open the box and remove the contents inside. The orange cap will be glued to the end of the muzzle. We expect our shipment to arrive the first week of April.

killing prime was one of the most memorable moments in any kid's life. it was our version of jfk getting shot in the head. no matter how much hot rod and the other new tfs sucked, that moment made the movie matter

it took Bambi's mother to a WHOLE new level.

I agree. It certainly made the movie special and a bit more memorable. I remember I was in tears when I watched it as a kid but I thought even back then that it gave the moive a sort of epic feel.

It was quite a ballsy move on Hasbro's part.

Hasbro didn't consider it ballsy. They were just trying to kill off the G1 characters to make room for the new ones. On the 20th anniversary disc, the one dude said that they didn't realize that it would have that much of an effect on kids, and that one kid locked himself in his room for a long time and no one had the heart to tell him that they would bring Prime back from the dead only to kill him again.

Yep little kids can't deal with poo like that. It's funny that Hasbro are celebrated for taking this "ballsy move" when their only real motivation was to just make some money on new toys. hehe.

But when you think about it, prime could just as easily been reborn in a new form the way megatron and hotrod was if they wanted to. Make prime into a new vehicle that gets a tougher upgraded body. They didn't have to kill him completely the stupid dummies. I was so glad they didn't kill the dinobots though. They are like the "chewbacca" of the transformer universe who you mainly want to see kicking ass not taking damage and getting hurt. Who cares if they are dumb and clumsy and slow, if they can squash things like the hulk?

Finally found a classics Jetfire. Very happy with it. The helmet is kind of oversized (why do robots need a helmet?) but its a great update to an old design. No swivel joint in the bicep area, and can't do the gerwalk mode with forward knee joints, since they only bend backward. But otherwise pretty good. Hands don't retract but they've been cleverly hidden behind the arm weapon so you don't notice this. I had no problems putting the bot into a standing position without falling backward though. Not as bad as getting the yamato qrau to not fall backwards at least..

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I found some pics of a real transforming van. Just scroll down a bit.

IT'S A GOBOT! RUN!

:D

Yep little kids can't deal with poo like that. It's funny that Hasbro are celebrated for taking this "ballsy move" when their only real motivation was to just make some money on new toys. hehe.

It's funnier that people act like it was a huge deal when almost no one saw the movie due to inept marketing.

Yes, I know I brought it up. I'm as guilty as anyone else.

I was so glad they didn't kill the dinobots though. They are like the "chewbacca" of the transformer universe who you mainly want to see kicking ass not taking damage and getting hurt. Who cares if they are dumb and clumsy and slow, if they can squash things like the hulk?

They left Snarl out. That is unforgivable.

RESPECT THE STEGOSAURUS!

Hasbro didn't consider it ballsy. They were just trying to kill off the G1 characters to make room for the new ones. On the 20th anniversary disc, the one dude said that they didn't realize that it would have that much of an effect on kids, and that one kid locked himself in his room for a long time and no one had the heart to tell him that they would bring Prime back from the dead only to kill him again.

I know why they killed off most of the 84/85 toy line but even if they were'nt intentionally trying to break the mold of american cartoon/movie fare (at that time) they certainly unintentionally ended up doing just that. I can't remember an american cartoon movie from my childhood that had such a dark tone or so much death. Tho the reasons were purely commercial I feel now that the end product took me somewhat seriously as a kid becuase it showed me so much death and thats what i still like about it today

Also, tho I didn't see the movie in the theatres I did watch it on VHS before I saw season 3 so I was quite shocked and it was a heaps big deal for me at the time.

I wonder if any kids who watched the TF movie these days asked "why didn't they just run a system scan, defrag his hard drive and reboot him?" If Rachet can't replace any robot parts that are broken, then what the hell good is he as a robot medic?

If the kids of today are familar with TF mythos since BW, they'd know TFs are more than just robots, they have sparks, a living soul. Serious damage to one's body can in turn damage or extinguish the spark.

Wasn't Ratchet dead at that point?

Edited by Fit For Natalie

Ratchet, Prowl, Ironhide, Brawn, they were the first to go. Well if you wanna get technical, Brawn, Prowl/Ratchet, then Ironhide.

And I'm also reminded of this tender scene between mirage and ratchet if you wanna talk about what good a robot medic is.

IPB Image

Oh I forgot to make mention of this, I went to target tonight after work cause I was trying to find one of those shoe size thingy's for a project I'm working on.

Sadly I couldn't find one...but meh I was in Target and there's a clearance on transformers so I took alook.

There were 4 Ultramagnus/Skywarp packs for under 14 dollars...and thought "Crap there's not much left" cause I couldn't find the aile they were generally at.

Then BAM I accidently found it while turning away and wha would you know? I found two jetfires!

So I went and finally picked up Classics Jetfire and I must say you really just don't know how damn Macross inspired the sculpt is till you see it yourself. Not only that but how closely he looks to Stormbinger mini series.

But now this completes my Classics line figures ^_^ since I'm not into Minicons.

Ratchet, Prowl, Ironhide, Brawn, they were the first to go. Well if you wanna get technical, Brawn, Prowl/Ratchet, then Ironhide.

As a kid i was just totally shocked to see those guys buy it, no one ever dies in cartoons right? After watching it again as an adult though, i was like WTF! Out of all the Autobots, i can't think of two that kicked more Decepticon butt on a consitent basis (when they were actually scripted in that episdoe that is) than Brawn and Ironhide, i thought it was a total crock they would get wasted so easily. Granted most of the reasons in killing off the Transformers that they did in the movie was commercial it was just hard to believe such veterans would get off'd so quickly and effortlessly.

Edited by Veritas

But now this completes my Classics line figures ^_^ since I'm not into Minicons.

Not into minicons! I have to admit most of them aren't really anything to write home to mom about, but i've made it a goal to collect all of the star saber/energon saber variations they've released. The only one i'm missing is the recolored energon saber (blizzard saber) that was only released in japan as part of a minicon trading set. Those might make you change your mind.

Just got my MP-05 Megatron today in Singapore. Pre-ordered for 100SGD (cheap!) NO ORANGE CAP, YAY!

First impressions: It's no MP-01, the metal is used for key areas like frame/armatures, feet etc. Funny thing is, Takara/Tomy made the plastics look like metal while the cheap looking chrome on the diecast parts looked like pastic! It won't pull off any really cool action poses (too wobbly), but I think it meets the standards for a very nice 'show-accurate' Megatron display piece.

The robot mode feels quite fiddly, with the shoulder pieces and folded pistolgrip/calves easily shifted out of place during play. The big-ass scope is nice (VERY bright! Don't point it at eyes) but tends to clash with the folded gun-barrel. Transforming into gun mode for the first time is HELL. I spent over 40 minutes figuring out the right way to do things, especially on how to fold the hip/groin area. And the last step of getting the trigger/pistolgrip to mate correctly with the upper half is really not easy. HOWEVER, I have to say that after 2~3 transformations, it does get easier in that you become familiar with the trickier parts, and the super-tight detents in the elbows get a bit looser as well.

The completed gun is HEUG – I wouldn't bother with a 'Perfect Edition' if they ever re-issue Megs with the stock and silencer. If anything, I think Megs is harder to transform than SS, but because of the superior size and looks in robot mode, I find it much more satisfying to own, even if there aren't any other gimmicks besides the 'working' trigger and safety lever.

MP Convoy: 10/10 (Looks great, feels great, plays great)

MP SS: 6/10 (Looks nice, feels light, plays OK)

MP Megatron: 7.5/10 (Looks great, feels light, plays so-so)

Just got my MP-05 Megatron today in Singapore. Pre-ordered for 100SGD (cheap!) NO ORANGE CAP, YAY!

First impressions: It's no MP-01, the metal is used for key areas like frame/armatures, feet etc. Funny thing is, Takara/Tomy made the plastics look like metal while the cheap looking chrome on the diecast parts looked like pastic! It won't pull off any really cool action poses (too wobbly), but I think it meets the standards for a very nice 'show-accurate' Megatron display piece.

The robot mode feels quite fiddly, with the shoulder pieces and folded pistolgrip/calves easily shifted out of place during play. The big-ass scope is nice (VERY bright! Don't point it at eyes) but tends to clash with the folded gun-barrel. Transforming into gun mode for the first time is HELL. I spent over 40 minutes figuring out the right way to do things, especially on how to fold the hip/groin area. And the last step of getting the trigger/pistolgrip to mate correctly with the upper half is really not easy. HOWEVER, I have to say that after 2~3 transformations, it does get easier in that you become familiar with the trickier parts, and the super-tight detents in the elbows get a bit looser as well.

The completed gun is HEUG – I wouldn't bother with a 'Perfect Edition' if they ever re-issue Megs with the stock and silencer. If anything, I think Megs is harder to transform than SS, but because of the superior size and looks in robot mode, I find it much more satisfying to own, even if there aren't any other gimmicks besides the 'working' trigger and safety lever.

MP Convoy: 10/10 (Looks great, feels great, plays great)

MP SS: 6/10 (Looks nice, feels light, plays OK)

MP Megatron: 7.5/10 (Looks great, feels light, plays so-so)

Interesting review. You going to Rumble it? Hell does Rumble still work with the new TBDX format?

Interesting review. You going to Rumble it? Hell does Rumble still work with the new TBDX format?

Kinda busy with work right now, so it's hard to make time for a good photo session. I haven't tried the new Rumble/Brog yet... maybe on the weekend. :-)

Thanks for the review. One question i've been meaning to have answered though, do you think he'll hold up on his own in a pretty standard pose without eventually falling over if not supported by a stand?

From what I've understood is that Megatron's doing a good job holding on it's own in poses...but I myself still hold myself in reservation seeing how I'm not even going to get mine for well over a month from now.

As for me changing my mind on Minicons...my mom bought me a package of minicons during christmas, while I found them cute, their ability was rather childish for transformation and use....good for lil kids but not for me.

Thanks for the review. One question i've been meaning to have answered though, do you think he'll hold up on his own in a pretty standard pose without eventually falling over if not supported by a stand?

Although Megs has quite a good range of movement in the hips and legs, the real limitation is the big scope. It's size and weight means there are only a few good arm positions which can combine with a nice stance that counterbalances well. The shoulder and elbows are quite tight, so it's not that difficult to get things right.

I do wish Meg's upper arms had a swivel joint for even better poses but the amount of space available to the designers is really limited. Also, although Megs has a 'waist joint' to enable transformation, once in robot mode the diecast 'spine' locks the torso in place... so that means no roundhouse-punch poses.

Although Megs has quite a good range of movement in the hips and legs, the real limitation is the big scope. It's size and weight means there are only a few good arm positions which can combine with a nice stance that counterbalances well. The shoulder and elbows are quite tight, so it's not that difficult to get things right.

I do wish Meg's upper arms had a swivel joint for even better poses but the amount of space available to the designers is really limited. Also, although Megs has a 'waist joint' to enable transformation, once in robot mode the diecast 'spine' locks the torso in place... so that means no roundhouse-punch poses.

Does megatron have strong ratchets in the shoulders and elbows? I read that the joints were tight but don't know if they are just friction based. I'm just afraid of loosening over time.

Does megatron have strong ratchets in the shoulders and elbows? I read that the joints were tight but don't know if they are just friction based. I'm just afraid of loosening over time.

Yes, the shoulders and elbows are pretty tightly detented.