Battlestar Galactica Discussion

Anyone else think it's odd that the colonies have had space flight technology for over 5000 years (Per the fact that Tyrol said in the Lion's head nebula episode that the 13th colony followed a supernova that happened 5000 yrs ago on their trek to Earth), yet their technology does not seem to have progressed very much (other than FTL drive which really does not seem to fit their tech level). Look at how far we've come in the century since 1907. They should have some crazy futuristoc tech, not wired handsets. Even the newer Pegasus was not far beyond Galactica technologically.

Anyone else think it's odd that the colonies have had space flight technology for over 5000 years (Per the fact that Tyrol said in the Lion's head nebula episode that the 13th colony followed a supernova that happened 5000 yrs ago on their trek to Earth), yet their technology does not seem to have progressed very much (other than FTL drive which really does not seem to fit their tech level). Look at how far we've come in the century since 1907. They should have some crazy futuristoc tech, not wired handsets. Even the newer Pegasus was not far beyond Galactica technologically.

Blame the producers...

Yeah, well, sometimes stuff doesn't make sense in SciFi.

Like, why are there seemingly endless holes, but no guard rails or hand rails in Star Wars? I mean, people must be getting blown off pathways to their deaths in Coruscant day in and day out. And Stormtrooper heath insurance must cost a fortune when crewing the Death Star...

Yeah, well, sometimes stuff doesn't make sense in SciFi.

Like, why are there seemingly endless holes, but no guard rails or hand rails in Star Wars? I mean, people must be getting blown off pathways to their deaths in Coruscant day in and day out. And Stormtrooper heath insurance must cost a fortune when crewing the Death Star...

:D Classic!!!

:D Classic!!!

OT but, there's actually great star wars comic that uses this gag... palpatine decides against adding the rails becuase it would add too much to the bottom line and tells vadar that he's counting on him to keep him safe. :lol:

Guess they have to shape the canon to the budget.

However you bring up an interesting point that we know next to nothing about the economy of the 12 Colonies. I think it's safe to assume that Caprica was the most prosperous. I think there was mention of how Zarek's world got hosed by the other colonies economically.

I'm curious as to whether space travel at all was even possible economically for most of the populations of the 12 Colonies. Sure space travel exists, but could everyone afford to do it unless they had a specific kind of job like the military or some kind of shipping outfit? I guess it would be an interesting spin to think the reason all the Fleet's survivors are so useless is because they are basically futuristic yuppies.

I would think that space travel was handled like commercial flights, lord knows the last time I tried to buy a private jet I had to seriously consider the type of job I had. :D

OT but, there's actually great star wars comic that uses this gag... palpatine decides against adding the rails becuase it would add too much to the bottom line and tells vadar that he's counting on him to keep him safe. :lol:

Kevin Smith started the whole Death Star workman's comp thing in Clerks 1.

Time to get back on topic. Here's another wonderful weekly preview courtesy of yours truly and someone at AICN:

For those who missed the news since last week, SciFi has ordered 13 fourth-season episodes of "Battlestar Galactica." They will shoot this summer and likely air in January.

What we think we know about tonight and in the coming weeks.

* It’s the 29th anniversary of Bill Adama’s wedding, and we get to meet Lee’s pretty blonde mom via flashback (or something akin to flashbacks).

* A phone call from Saul Tigh appears to have triggered the end of Adama’s marriage.

* Mr. and Mrs. Galen Tyrol get trapped on the wrong side of an airlock without spacesuits.

* In a matter of minutes all their air will have leaked into space.

* The plan is to pull a Dave Bowman. Blow the hatch and expose the couple to space until a waiting raptor can grab them.

NEXT WEEK: “Dirty Hands,†co-written by Jane Espenson, looks at matters of class struggle as the fleet contends with labor issues.

THE WEEK AFTER: “Maelstrom,†the big Starbuck-centric episode that reportedly shakes everything up but good!

10 p.m. Sunday. SciFi.

I don't know. This last episode was kinda meh.

It was a little funny seeing Starbuck and Apollo get knocked the frak back by the Tyrols during the Raptor rescue.

But overall, both the A and B stories just felt underwhelming and a little "off."

I wonder if I would have not been happier now if the series had been more of what was in that last episode than "who is going to be a Cylon this week" and "The Cylons want to kill us~>make peace with us~>kill us~>breed with us~>kill us~>make pea...". I liked this episode because it didn't reek of the "we really don't know where we are going with all of this" mess that has plagued the show for so long.

Edited by Duke Togo

wow.. a no win for BSG... they focus on plot for a few episodes and people batty that they lost their way, lost the magic, why can't it be more like season 1? blah blah... and now they deliver a great character driven episode and one that really gets into the head of adama and now we get to hear the cries of:filler filler!

**more to do with what I've been reading on other sites then here... I'm sure everyone on this site loved this episode for it's careful character study of adama.

Edited by eugimon

I really liked it too. I've really liked the past few episodes.

Now, this isn't a complaint just an observation, but it's been a while since we had any kind of Viper action. In fact except for the escape from new Caprica there really hasn't been much space combat, and that epsiode was more Capital ships duking it out too....which I liked!!! I hope they have something cool in store for us. :)

Chris

"A Day in the Life"

We can't have fighter action all the time. Plus it saves me from hearing RDM's whining about the budget when we don't have those scenes. At least we know Adama has his own "Head Six", even if it is a once a year thing. We also got Apollo's opinion about his mom. We now know that Adama's wife shares as much blame for Apollo's fraked-up life as much as daddy.

"A Day in the Life"

We can't have fighter action all the time. Plus it saves me from hearing RDM's whining about the budget when we don't have those scenes. At least we know Adama has his own "Head Six", even if it is a once a year thing. We also got Apollo's opinion about his mom. We now know that Adama's wife shares as much blame for Apollo's fraked-up life as much as daddy.

I realize that, I never said it should have nor would I want it to have a battle week after week. All I said was that the last time we really had anything of that nature was episode 4. It's just been a while is all.

Chris

I was hoping to actually see some more of Adama's past, but it seems more like they were trying to nudge people into believing he's a cylon, which probably won't turn out so. They always have Adama battling with being both an effective leader and still a man, which is a good thing to play with him.

But that preview's kind of interesting - Baltar trying another angle to keep himself alive? Again it seems that it's the advertising team that needs to be thrown out of an airlock.

For those of you hard up for more space combat, I've got the next best thing: Beyond the Red Line's webpage just got updated with 2 new videos.

Scar shows a Multiplayer test with Raider and Viper going at it in an asteroid and the Performance test shows a full on battle between 2 Battlestars, a Basestar, and Ragnar Station

http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/gallery_videos.html

wow.. a no win for BSG... they focus on plot for a few episodes and people batty that they lost their way, lost the magic, why can't it be more like season 1? blah blah... and now they deliver a great character driven episode and one that really gets into the head of adama and now we get to hear the cries of:filler filler!

The only problem with that is that you need to care about the characters in order to enjoy a character-driven episode.

The only problem with that is that you need to care about the characters in order to enjoy a character-driven episode.

Oh well, I guess it was good for me since I like adama and the chief... don't care so much for little missy though... she's just full ahead annoying now.

I agree about the little character moments too. Hotdog and Helo's interplay, Apollo's briefing (and like DH said Starbuck was just right in that scene with her "critique" of Apollo's briefing...more playful), and I also liked Apollo's comment to Dee about the box from his father..."is it ticking?" I really liked the episode. :)

Chris

For those of you hard up for more space combat, I've got the next best thing: Beyond the Red Line's webpage just got updated with 2 new videos.

Scar shows a Multiplayer test with Raider and Viper going at it in an asteroid and the Performance test shows a full on battle between 2 Battlestars, a Basestar, and Ragnar Station

http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/gallery_videos.html

That game looks bad ass. I'll definitely be downloading if/when it's done. Unless I forget about it.

OT, but did that Last Starfighter game ever get done?

OK fans... another weekly update.

What we believe we know about 3.16, titled “Dirty Hands†and co-written by “Buffyâ€-“Angelâ€-“Firefly†vet Jane Espenson.

* Cally is still recovering.

* Laborers have been working 18-hour days for months to process enough fuel to facilitate fleet FTL jumps.

* While incarcerated, Gaius Baltar has apparently written a book that is proving popular with the fleet’s working class.

* Galen Tyrol seeks out Baltar’s counsel.

* Tyrol is convinced to organize a strike.

* With Cally under the weather, Tyrol’s superhot underling, Seelix, seems to take an interest in the chief.

* Tyrol ends up in stir, accused of mutiny.

And here’s what the Chicago Tribune said about next week’s episode, “Maelstromâ€:

“Moore adds that after the March 4 episode airs, the name of a major cast member will disappear from the show’s opening credits. They won’t say whether Sackhoff’s name is the one that goes missing. But they do make clear that what happens to Starbuck points the way to a major shift in the show’s direction. ‘It’s a fundamental and permanent change in the makeup of the show’s cast and of the show itself and how the show operates and what the show is about. It’s a very dramatic change of direction,’ [showrunner Ronald D.] Moore says.â€

10 p.m. Sunday. SciFi.

What we believe we know about 3.16, titled “Dirty Hands†and co-written by “Buffyâ€-“Angelâ€-“Firefly†vet Jane Espenson.

* Laborers have been working 18-hour days for months to process enough fuel to facilitate fleet FTL jumps.

* While incarcerated, Gaius Baltar has apparently written a book that is proving popular with the fleet’s working class.

* With Cally under the weather, Tyrol’s superhot underling, Seelix, seems to take an interest in the chief.

And here’s what the Chicago Tribune said about next week’s episode, “Maelstromâ€:

“Moore adds that after the March 4 episode airs, the name of a major cast member will disappear from the show’s opening credits. They won’t say whether Sackhoff’s name is the one that goes missing. But they do make clear that what happens to Starbuck points the way to a major shift in the show’s direction. ‘It’s a fundamental and permanent change in the makeup of the show’s cast and of the show itself and how the show operates and what the show is about. It’s a very dramatic change of direction,’ [showrunner Ronald D.] Moore says.â€

10 p.m. Sunday. SciFi.

WOW. I wonder what spurned this. Did she not renew her contract?

WOW. I wonder what spurned this. Did she not renew her contract?

Rumor around the cast very early on was someone was going to be gone this year. This popped up in David Eick's video blog (appropriately titled "Who Dies?"). So this has been planned since the season started.

10 p.m. Sunday. SciFi.

haven't seen the episode yet, but I'm curious to see how the pull off baltar being hated and despised and then being some sort of populist leader.

Hmm... just saw the preview for next week's big-ass episode about Starbuck entitled "Maelstrom". I'm beginning to think that perhaps she is a major key to finding Earth. I wouldn't be surprised if she disappears for a while to find the path to their new home on her own.

Hmm... just saw the preview for next week's big-ass episode about Starbuck entitled "Maelstrom". I'm beginning to think that perhaps she is a major key to finding Earth. I wouldn't be surprised if she disappears for a while to find the path to their new home on her own.

That would be an interesting nod to the '83 series, wouldn't it?

But MAN, this was a good episode! ^_^ Baltar can make anyone like him, well except maybe the CO and XO, but now we have a maybe as to why he has that accent. I wouldn't be suprised if it's a lie, but when he switched to that Celtic accent it kind of creaped me out a little.

NOW GIVE ME SPACEFIGHTING DAMNIT!! :angry::p

Great.

Me and my big mouth. Just shoot me above my kneecap, so I can still walk. Please? :unsure: I wanna live to see a Tread/Beta in my collection!

In all seriousness, I'll have to rewatch the episode. I'm not sure I buy into how quickly the Admiral and Roslin eased off of their hard-line stance. But like I said, I'll need to watch the ep again.

They did bring up some pretty heavy issues concerning the fleet and its unique situation. And I hope they'll address these issues again later down the line (I'd rather not have a nice and tidy resolution to all this stuff).

Also, it was kinda cool to see Baltar switch accents there.