Yamato 1/60 scale YF-19 problem thread.

Wicked Ace

try your best not to strip the plastic.

make sure when you go to tighten the screws again, its using the same threads created from the very first time the screws were put in.

its not hard to tell, the screw should go in pretty easily and shouldn't require much torque to tighten.

if you have to use force, then you not in the right groove.

i hope that makes sense?

That's what I did when I have to re-install the screws after I loosened the screws and found that this wasn't exactly a solution. I was kinda thinking for the long term after many many transformations in mind - the plactic threads will wear down eventually.

That's what I did when I have to re-install the screws after I loosened the screws and found that this wasn't exactly a solution. I was kinda thinking for the long term after many many transformations in mind - the plactic threads will wear down eventually.

I'm getting all tingly inside in a nostalgic kind of way, remembering how we had to disassemble the 1/60

VF-1's to transform them. It's good to see that Yamato's latest effort is encouraging part-swapping/removal again...

yo if someone is thinking of making hard resin recast of the problem parts i am down 100%. count me in as one of your prospective customers.

yo if someone is thinking of making hard resin recast of the problem parts i am down 100%. count me in as one of your prospective customers.

I hope Yamato will recognize this as a legitimate problem and take care of it, as apparently Yamato plans to do for VF-0 owners.

Edited by Wicked Ace

shuddup you're just hatin now.

if yamato decides to release replacement parts i'll get them. otherwise, plz someone recast the parts.

Edited by cyde01

shuddup you're just hatin now.

if yamato decide to release replacement parts i'll get them. otherwise, plz someone recast the parts.

I don't think he was "hatin"; I believe he was referring to Yamato making a fix available, just like what Yamato has stated to Graham they will do for the VF-0 owners. ;) I hope he is right.

like i said, if yamato decides to release replacement parts, i'll get them.

b of b made his point 100+ posts ago. the rest is all just annoying overkill.

bah, I agree with bob. when a manufacturer puts out a product that has mechanical failures, due entirely to their own negligence, typically, they repair or replace the merchandise. I don't see why yamato should be any different. If they need to fix somthing, they shouldn't charge us again to do it. I put down 200 bucks for a complete toy, not a model, or a DIY kit.

Alright.

I bit the bullet and transformed her into Battroid Mode. Dayam she's fine.

Anyways I didn't have much trouble with the cockpit area......once you hear that click it's all good. It was a bit scary sliding it into position......and I already started sanding down those cream colored pegs.

yeah, like i said, if yamato will send free replacement parts, i would get them. however, there are some things that complicate this matter: 1. i live in the US (Yamato USA apparently can't even get replacement parts to us because of Harmony Gay) 2. i didn't get my 19 from hlj. that means there's a slight chance that even if yamato offers free replacement parts i'll have to pay to get them or won't be able to get them at all.

i agree with b of b that that would be the best for us but all his posts seem cynical towards yamato given his track record.

the thing with Yamato is that they did offer replacement parts but only for within japan. Monkey Nugget, no Samurai Monkey, tried facilitating us with the parts but I think everyone on MW started ordering 1S heads or something to take advantage of it. So they stopped the program. I think in Japan you can still get parts. i know here in the US they're pretty good about relpacing parts for toys that are available here. So if you have anyone to blame it's...

HG...

but don't blame EXO!

It wont be abused if they only offer parts that are manufactured defective or have qc issues...

Defective part replacements should be free... I'll pay the shipping.

The abuse is just as likely to be on yamato's part. If they can charge for parts (parts that should have been right in the first place) that's extra money in their pockets for issues they created. That's just wrong.

It'll make them negligent of catching qc issues the first time around and in an extreme case, quite possibly make them purposefully rush productions with known qc issues, because parts are an extra source of income...

If that was the case, I'd drop out of this hobby all together.

It wont be abused if they only offer parts that are manufactured defective or have qc issues...

The abuse is just as likely to be on yamato's part. If they can charge for parts (parts that should have been right in the first place) that's extra money in their pockets for issues they created. That's just wrong.

It'll make them negligent of catching qc issues the first time around and in an extreme case, quite possibly make them purposefully rush productions with known qc issues, because parts are an extra source of income...

If that was the case, I'd drop out of this hobby all together.

I totally agree, I was just explaining what happened the last time they had parts available for their customers and the situation concerning their overseas customer base that they are not available to support. I'm sure they would allow parts exchange if Yamato USA could support us (providing you're in the USA).

As I said before, if everyone waited for the second release of their toys, how long before they get everything right the first time? because if no one supported them in the initial release then it wont be long before they run their company to the ground.

Parts replacement should be free and the full shipping fees borne by Yamato. The reason is simple - We have paid our dues, Yamato have not. The onus is on them to make things right.

Remember:- Yamato is only facillitating this service thru its Japan-bound retailers and for international buyers, only those who have bought from HLJ are eligible (and you might have to pay for shipping on top of that). I disagree with having to pay for that shipping.

Now many of you may appreciate the fact that Yamato is making an effort to replace parts, I'll sit back and see how far-reaching and satisfactory their patch-up work will go.

Making damn sure the toys come out right the first time would've saved Yamofo the hassle.

dammit

i have the stress marks under the cockpit too, both sides, but one moreso than the other. i hadn't noticed until i saw this thread. i received mine on 12/18/06, only transformed it 2 or 3 times (fighter mode is just too sexy).

when I first transformed my YF-19, I actually got the complete cockpit section off by yanking it too hard, but hinges didn't broke, I was scared shitless, I guess I got my stressmarks that way, but after that, everythings fine

I know I've complained a lot about the price, but my 19 only problems were the crooked gunpod and landing gear both easily fixed, I really don't find the stressmarks much of an issue, they're not visible

I just put a little strap of tape that's almost the same color of the 19 (lucky coincidence), that I had for scale modeling, instead of glueing a piece of plastic

for the landing gear, I just pushed them and they got into place like some have done already here

Edited by Valkyrie addict

Lol. The material of the landing gear "boxes" is so weak that people have been able to just push the landing gear struts into position, thus making an indentation large enough to properly extend the landing gear...

Lol. The material of the landing gear "boxes" is so weak that people have been able to just push the landing gear struts into position, thus making an indentation large enough to properly extend the landing gear...

no that's wrong, actually. the landing gear were designed from the start to be able to be pushed out into the correct position. some people didn't know this because 1. the landing gear are stiff out of the box because of dry paint and 2. because they didn't take a look at the instructions.

no that's wrong, actually. the landing gear were designed from the start to be able to be pushed out into the correct position. some people didn't know this because 1. the landing gear are stiff out of the box because of dry paint and 2. because they didn't take a look at the instructions.

Unless there are 19's with different landing gear struts, the proper indentation for the correct deployment of the landing gear is not present, preventing the landing gear from extending fully; it has nothing to do with paint or instructions. There's a whole thread about this in the customization section of the forum...

Edited by myk

Unless there are 19's with different landing gear struts, the proper indentation for the correct deployment of the landing gear is not present, preventing the landing gear from extending fully; it has nothing to do with paint or instructions.

Wrong. Unlike the 1/60 VF-0, which has an indentation (or notch) within the carrier piece for the strut to swing into, the 1/60 VF-19 has a relief built into the the upper strut itself. Take a look, it IS present, it's just that the function is so stiff as shipped that it is not readily apparent.

I see a perfect square, guys. The before and after pictures of the people who 'modded their struts says it all. Maybe we're not talking about the same area?

I am referring to the landing gear strut itself (clarification: this is the landing gear upright to which the wheel is attached), not the carrier within which it resides. If you look closely, the outboard side of each landing gear strut is notched just below the pivot point, which allows it to be moved laterally. The notch in the landing gear strut allows it to clear the carrier. Again, take a very close look, and you will see what we're talking about.

Edited by Hiriyu

Ok, the indentation on the strut itself is there, but it still wasn't enough to allow the landing gear to deploy outward far enough, hence the 'modding on the carrier of the strut...

Ok, the indentation on the strut itself is there, but it still wasn't enough to allow the landing gear to deploy outward far enough, hence the 'modding on the carrier of the strut...

Nope :) You just need to use a little force the first time, after that, it is much more compliant. It is capable of full splay, no need to mod the landing gear, folks.

There's a whole thread about this in the customization section of the forum...

yeah like hiryu said, at the end of that thread it is revealed that this in fact is a non-issue.

so far it seems like there are more with stress marks than without.

who here has a 19 with no stress marks?

Nope :) You just need to use a little force the first time, after that, it is much more compliant. It is capable of full splay, no need to mod the landing gear, folks.

With all due respect, "a little force" does not go well with this particular toy. The relief on the landing gear strut is not notched enough on either of my -19s to allow proper deployment of the landing gear. If I forced the strut to splay out, the result would be a stressed (or split) pivot piece. Sure any stress marks on the landing gear pivot would not be too visible; however, cancer isn't too visible either, and I'd rather not have either it or stress marks. :)

The attached picture shows the insufficient "relief" area on the strut -- not enough of a notch. Also, the picture shows the pegs that hold the pivot halves together; with the soft plastic used, I would not want to force the strut to splay outward for fear of breaking these pegs.

post-1617-1170466154_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wicked Ace