Yamato 1/60 scale YF-19 problem thread.

Wicked Ace

Factories that make plastic products, have tomes of chemical formulas for plastics of various strengths and usage... most are pretty standard, some are even trade secrets. No need to leave samples in storage for years and years before testing. Any good chemical engineer can work out some good plastic ingredients, but is such a consultant actually hired for the job. ^_^

Edited by boota

Factories that make plastic products, have tomes of chemical formulas for plastics of various strengths and usage... most are pretty standard, some are even trade secrets. No need to leave samples in storage for years and years before testing. Any good chemical engineer can work out some good plastic ingredients, but is such a consultant actually hired for the job. ^_^

You actually need a good materials engineer rather than chemical engineer for these purposes, but like I said, given that a broken toy doesn't actually kill anybody (although I know you all die a little inside when a toy breaks :p) I don't see why Yamato should go to additional expense to satisfy the two out of the thousands of people with YF-19s who actually had a little crack on the neck ^_^. When it gets to a major problem, like the VF-1S v2 1st issue where something like 30% (according to the poll) of people had cracked shoulders, yes then I agree they should do something to resolve it (and they have indicated that they will).

• 4 weeks later...

I got a YF-19 the other day. The day after I realised there was a huge split in the upper right arm, and the left had severe cracks.

I superglued the split together and it seemed to help, but the day after that the whole arm assembly spontaneously pulverised.

I phoned Yamato as usual and they said they would send replacement arms.

I got the replacement arms yesterday (the same day I received the Michel DX, by coincidence!). One piece was broken right out of the envelope, and another was a little faulty.

Sigh... I have had to contact Yamato about almost every single one of my recent purchases: the 19, the sv-51, the OD Tomahawk.... I'm sure they know me by now. I just feel like Bandai and Yamato are laughing at me right now! I think I'll be calling it a day for toy collecting for the time being.

I got a YF-19 the other day. The day after I realised there was a huge split in the upper right arm, and the left had severe cracks.

I superglued the split together and it seemed to help, but the day after that the whole arm assembly spontaneously pulverised.

I phoned Yamato as usual and they said they would send replacement arms.

I got the replacement arms yesterday (the same day I received the Michel DX, by coincidence!). One piece was broken right out of the envelope, and another was a little faulty.

Sigh... I have had to contact Yamato about almost every single one of my recent purchases: the 19, the sv-51, the OD Tomahawk.... I'm sure they know me by now. I just feel like Bandai and Yamato are laughing at me right now! I think I'll be calling it a day for toy collecting for the time being.

Could you post some pics please? I didn't know that the YF-19 arms could explode like the VF-0!

Yes, did take lots of pictures, here we go.

EDIT -- Argh. The order of the attachments is "last one first". OK, if you cycle from the end (bottom right) to the start (top left), that is the correct order to view the photos. So with that in mind:

1) This is the state of the right arm. The part that was developing cracks then exploded is the two-half bicep part which actually is not a unique complaint to me, I read it earlier in this thread.

2) Right arm: as you can see the plastic cylinder the screw goes in is also crumbling.

3) This is the left arm. It's not so clear, but there are a couple of large cracks developing.

4) OK, here are the new , relacement arms from Yamato. Maybe the glue dried or something, I don't know, but this is just a joke.

5) And here is the OTHER replacement arm. The part which "forms" the elbow in battroid is not very tight and doesn't really connect well. It has quite a visible gap, where it should really be nice and tight.

6) I figured I wouldn't have another chance, so I played around with a four-armed valk.

I consider myself a Yamato customer service veteran by now. I'm sure they know my name with all the phonecalls I've made up to now. Overall, I think Yamato have proved that if you have a problem, they'll be happy to fix it... in exchange for a new one.

I'm satisfied now only because the problems I have now are minor in comparison, which, really, should not be a good enough reason. However, I believe the dreaded stress marks on the grey blocks in the nose section will only worsen over time...

Sigh. I'm not a gambling man, but really, that IS what this hobby has become.

post-1318-1238142423_thumb.jpg

post-1318-1238142451_thumb.jpg

post-1318-1238142469_thumb.jpg

post-1318-1238142505_thumb.jpg

post-1318-1238142522_thumb.jpg

post-1318-1238142543_thumb.jpg

Edited by Renato

Yes, did take lots of pictures, here we go.

EDIT -- Argh. The order of the attachments is "last one first". OK, if you cycle from the end (bottom right) to the start (top left), that is the correct order to view the photos. So with that in mind:

1) This is the state of the right arm. The part that was developing cracks then exploded is the two-half bicep part which actually is not a unique complaint to me, I read it earlier in this thread.

2) Right arm: as you can see the plastic cylinder the screw goes in is also crumbling.

3) This is the left arm. It's not so clear, but there are a couple of large cracks developing.

4) OK, here are the new , relacement arms from Yamato. Maybe the glue dried or something, I don't know, but this is just a joke.

5) And here is the OTHER replacement arm. The part which "forms" the elbow in battroid is not very tight and doesn't really connect well. It has quite a visible gap, where it should really be nice and tight.

6) I figured I wouldn't have another chance, so I played around with a four-armed valk.

I consider myself a Yamato customer service veteran by now. I'm sure they know my name with all the phonecalls I've made up to now. Overall, I think Yamato have proved that if you have a problem, they'll be happy to fix it... in exchange for a new one.

I'm satisfied now only because the problems I have now are minor in comparison, which, really, should not be a good enough reason. However, I believe the dreaded stress marks on the grey blocks in the nose section will only worsen over time...

Sigh. I'm not a gambling man, but really, that IS what this hobby has become.

There is no ifs or buts that the 1/60 YF19 is one of the worst Yamato made product. It's even worse than their very hard to transform 1 ed. 1/72 YF19, in terms of its Tab-B versus the many problems of the 1/60 YF19 encountered on this thread.

On your concern with the grey blocks in the nose section, what I did with mine is I sand down the nubs that are pushed against them. I also sand down the other nub on the other neck end, that you have to push down before the pushing away of the nose that is held tightly by the nubs that push against the grey blocks.

Just be careful that when you sand them, try to attach and detach the nose to gauge how much you should sand away. Stop as soon as you feel that you're transforming the nose without much struggle. After sanding, the nose will still hold firmly in the fighter mode.

Hope this helps!

Edited by mr.chogokin

Hmmm...would it be sacriligeous of me to do a custom on a 25th Anniversary model? I'm not a huge fan of the black and gold, but love the idea of a Yamato 19 that won't explode in my hands. I was thinking a nice low-viz grey or a VFX2 Ravens scheme...

There is no ifs or buts that the 1/60 YF19 is one of the worst Yamato made product. It's even worse than their very hard to transform 1 ed. 1/72 YF19, in terms of its Tab-B versus the many problems of the 1/60 YF19 encountered on this thread.

On your concern with the grey blocks in the nose section, what I did with mine is I sand down the nubs that are pushed against them. I also sand down the other nub on the other neck end, that you have to push down before the pushing away of the nose that is held tightly by the nubs that push against the grey blocks.

Just be careful that when you sand them, try to attach and detach the nose to gauge how much you should sand away. Stop as soon as you feel that you're transforming the nose without much struggle. After sanding, the nose will still hold firmly in the fighter mode.

Hope this helps!

I am also hoping to get a YF19 for a while. I am still yet to get one during the high cost and its 'issue'. Yamato has re-issued the YF19 recently, has it got the same problem? Has anyone has the latest re-issue version? And how can I tell if that is a 'new' re-issue one?

I am also hoping to get a YF19 for a while. I am still yet to get one during the high cost and its 'issue'. Yamato has re-issued the YF19 recently, has it got the same problem? Has anyone has the latest re-issue version? And how can I tell if that is a 'new' re-issue one?

As of now, there has been no updated news on any YF19 reissues; except for the sold out fastpack versions. Note the attachment post from page 16, nothing new until now. Either get the anniversary black version or get the ones from HLJ that may have crooked gunpods.

post-7892-1238216805_thumb.png

Hmmm...would it be sacriligeous of me to do a custom on a 25th Anniversary model? I'm not a huge fan of the black and gold, but love the idea of a Yamato 19 that won't explode in my hands. I was thinking a nice low-viz grey or a VFX2 Ravens scheme...

Yamato has indicated that the VFX-2 scheme may be released eventually, so you may well get your wish! Unfortunately for the low-viz grey, I don't think Yamato will treat the 19 like it does the VF-1, but it shouldn't be too hard to custom it if you can scrape off all the gold (or cover it up!)

While Yamato has not officially re-issued the YF-19, I think there is a fixed version of the normal YF-19 around, since some recent buyers have not been getting the crooked gunpod version.

As of now, there has been no updated news on any YF19 reissues; except for the sold out fastpack versions. Note the attachment post from page 16, nothing new until now. Either get the anniversary black version or get the ones from HLJ that may have crooked gunpods.

Thx for the info.

I don't think I will have the money to get this YF19 this year anyway... although YF19 was one of my favorites (in the flight mode).

And, too many new macross toys coming this year!

Actually it has been reissued a number of times. The latest reissue was last month (Feb 2009). I think mine is a first edition because of the crooked gunpod and the rear landing gear that doesn't angle out.

EDIT: I always look at Japanese e-tailers to see what has been reissued when. e.g. http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/pricebuster/gds-5276.html

I think I read it on Yamato's page first, though I can't find it there now.

Edited by Renato

• 2 months later...

I just got Yamatoed yesterday. >_<

I was re-posing my YF-19 in battroid and was quite annoyed with its overall floppiness with the arms but then as i was posing i discovered that the shoulder/armpit joint connecting parts R-1 to R-2 (the right shoulder to the right arm) has broken. I tried to see if I could repair it but it was beyond repair. Getting to the joint wasn't easy as well since the guy that screwed in my arms did it till the screw philip head was totally ROUNDED. >_<

Anyway the joint is more or less disintegrated and i have reassembled it best I can. Its loose and limp as heck now but still attached.....already contacted Over-drive for replacement parts.

I think mine's the 1st reported case of broken armpit/shoulder joint for the YF-19. In case you guys are wondering, my YF-19 is a 1s generation without FP version.

Edited by wolfx

Hm, it seems inevitable that every Yammie will break sooner or later. I wonder if we can insure them or something... it sucks that they will break but at least we get some money back. Mr Chogokin imagines himself making a police report everytime a Yammie breakage happens. Gah! :blink:

• 1 month later...

ARGH I got YAMATODDDD!!! I just got a new 25th anniversary YF-19. This is my second next generation Yamato valk and I am pissed to say the least.

All these problems are in fighter mode right out of the box. I have not yet transformed it.

1) The nose is loose and doesn't click properly into the cockpit area leaving a gap.

2) The wings don't snap properly into the slots. The left one keeps popping out.

3) I cant seem to fit the pilot into his seat. Am I suppose to pull the seat out and than put him on?

4) The shoulder don't go all the way down in plane mode.

5) The plate on the bottom where you insert the stand attachment is bent.

6) The tail fins are very loose.

7) Nothing wants to go securely in where it should go.

8) The canards don't want to pose correctly. They keep moving out of place.

I did not dare check to see if the landing gears opened up or anything else. I just calmly put it back in the box and threw it in the closet. I did not expect this re-issue to be this bad in QC. Yeah my first $150.00+ piece of crap. Hurray. :angry:

Edited by Muzaffar

1) The nose is loose and doesn't click properly into the cockpit area leaving a gap.

you need to fiddle w/ that switch/tab under the nose + black part in front of the cockpit and the front canopy (w/c is detachable) to make the nose flush...

sorry, can't help w/ the other issues... :mellow:

Edited by m0n5t3r

ARGH I got YAMATODDDD!!! I just got a new 25th anniversary YF-19. This is my second next generation Yamato valk and I am pissed to say the least.

All these problems are in fighter mode right out of the box. I have not yet transformed it.

2) The wings don't snap properly into the slots. The left one keeps popping out.

3) I cant seem to fit the pilot into his seat. Am I suppose to pull the seat out and than put him on?

4) The shoulder don't go all the way down in plane mode.

5) The plate on the bottom where you insert the stand attachment is bent.

6) The tail fins are very loose.

7) Nothing wants to go securely in where it should go.

8) The canards don't want to pose correctly. They keep moving out of place.

I did not dare check to see if the landing gears opened up or anything else. I just calmly put it back in the box and threw it in the closet. I did not expect this re-issue to be this bad in QC. Yeah my first $150.00+ piece of crap. Hurray. :angry:

same problem , though mine was purchased last year

i think eugimon means the tab that's part of the front canopy should go in the slot before you push up the tab that's underneath the nose cone... see pic.

post-8437-1250816654_thumb.jpg

BTW, for #3, do yourself a favor and get the new VF-11B... the new Isamu pilot fig fits perfectly inside the YF-19's cockpit. i just hate those old pilot figs w/ the shoddy paint w/c melts and sticks to the seat. the new 1/60 pilot figs are just perfect.

Edited by m0n5t3r

i think eugimon means the tab that's part of the front canopy should go in the slot before you push up the tab that's underneath the nose cone... see pic.

post-8437-1250816654_thumb.jpg

BTW, for #3, do yourself a favor and get the new VF-11B... the new Isamu pilot fig fits perfectly inside the YF-19's cockpit. i just hate those old pilot figs w/ the shoddy paint w/c melts and sticks to the seat. the new 1/60 pilot figs are just perfect.

after seeing that , i went and cut the tab by a little bit , now it fits . weird

Why everytime I am thinking about to order a YF19, this thread pops up!?

Man, just find one place sell it in a 'reasonable' price... YF-19 is one of my favorites valk.

And this thread has stopped me get this toy a few times! :mellow:

honestly, I like it for what it is but the newer 1/60's have left it in the dust. There's just no comparing it to the yf-21 or the vf-11 and ver 2.0 vf-1.

Hurray the tab thing worked! And I fixed the wing problem by squeezing the hell out of the wing tab into the leg. I don't think it will ever separate but that's OK.

I am getting my confidence back thanks to you guys...I think I will try to deploy the landing gears next and see what happens. :lol:

Edited by Muzaffar

Hurray the tab thing worked! And I fixed the wing problem by squeezing the hell out of the wing tab into the leg. I don't think it will ever separate but that's OK.

I am getting my confidence back thanks to you guys...I think I will try to deploy the landing gears next and see what happens. :lol:

Hah, good. That little lock has been confounding members for a while now.

it's so pleasing having to fix learning how to properly transform something you payed close to 200 dollars :)

fixed.

Edited by eugimon