Yamato 1/60 scale YF-19 problem thread.

Wicked Ace

I take off for a week and look what shows up ...

Gotta agree that it's a little hard to justify $60 + shipping by the time it makes it to the States for a green light-up vibrator and hollow leg/sholder armor. Maybe if they threw in all of this it would be easier to swallow ...

Link

Seriously: This costs more than the 1/48 FP set that had a bazillion micro missles, removable cowlings, rms nukes, etc?

Meh.

Gotta agree that it's a little hard to justify $60 + shipping by the time it makes it to the States for a green light-up vibrator and hollow leg/sholder armor. Maybe if they threw in all of this it would be easier to swallow ...

Link

Seriously: This costs more than the 1/48 FP set that had a bazillion micro missles, removable cowlings, rms nukes, etc?

Meh.

You just wait now, I'm sure they'll release that stuff at a later date...

Have stayed out of the fray but it just hit me that the VF-0 shoulder problems appear to be the same as the YF-19 problems since they are made from the same dark gray plastic. Was that the case on the Garland, in that the shoulder parts are also the "dark gray" plastic?

Yes, as of now this is causation without correlation.

I remember that there has been serious discussion by those that understand the chemistry of plastics about the raw materials used by Yamato to produce Valks. Could this be a bad mix of chemicals rather like a bad batch of steel (Ford) or poor mix of paint (Ford and Dodge)?

**Car companies listed are big examples of problems not seen until after the products were on the street and after investigation the source problem was the raw materials not design or manufacturing technique**

Understanding that less expensive plastics are used, is the rate of failure higher than expected since the problems appear across product lines?

Has the bad mix of plastics question been posed to Yamato?

Yes, better QC and testing will keep the problems out of the hands of the consumer “US†and QC contributed to the problem but would like to understand the root cause of the problem.

Wait a min, you mean to tell me I am getting toys as investments? I never ever stated that. If I did so, then I have no business getting these.

I dont want your yf-19. My point is that you said you dont sell toys that are deemed broken. I have seen toys on ebay and here go for sale. You can get half or more. I am sure the yf-19 would be snatched up.

What I dont understand (and the point you missed) is that we have gone over these points well beyond its shelf life. I never by means say Yamato is perfect. Sure they have problems. My Point: This b!tch fest has long outlived its welcome. We see the issues so let's move on. Although I see it as minor yet you think it is major. So we have difference in opinion on that but it is a toy. I am saying this isnt a perfect world yet everyone wants what they buy to be perfect. Has anyone bought a perfect house? Car? If you want perfect, you have been watching way too many Walgreen's commercials.

BTW 757 and 737 are not govt projects, they are civilian contracts. AA, United, Delta, British and other airlines like them buys from Boeing. They are consumers as well.

Getting the toys as investments - it's not only in order to gain profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value... getting emotional satisfaction, personal entertainment, enjoyment counts as well.

Like I said, I REALLY wanted a SWEET 1/60 YF19. I'm not even asking for PERFECTION - Just that Yamato come up with one that does it's job. The 1/60 YF19 that I (and most others) have here are only delivering HALF of its promise - Looking beautiful but NO QUALITY.

Most warbirds by the lowest bidders (even your 757 and 737 examples) deliver and fulfilled their roles. Yamato did not.

As for This b!tch fest has long outlived its welcome. We see the issues so let's move on, it was never intended to piss on your investment, neither it is a popularity contest. Unless you're Yamato, you do not see the issues because to you, they're minor. Don't make any calls to MOVE ON as though the issues have been resolved, because they're not.

I think that it is not unreasonable to ask for perfection when you spend $200 for a toy. Especially if it's not even a QC issue. The crooked gunpod was a production flaw, most every YF-19 had it. And I don't think the "most complicated toy Yamato ever made" argument cuts it. I have a Military Aquarion. It is bigger than my YF-19, heavier than my YF-19, much more intricate, way more complex, costs less, and has no errors in it whatsoever. All joints work, all the paint is good, all the markings are straight, etc, etc, etc... If Bandai can do it, I see no reason why Yamato can't adjust their production lines to match.

I think that it is not unreasonable to ask for perfection when you spend $200 for a toy. Especially if it's not even a QC issue. The crooked gunpod was a production flaw, most every YF-19 had it. And I don't think the "most complicated toy Yamato ever made" argument cuts it. I have a Military Aquarion. It is bigger than my YF-19, heavier than my YF-19, much more intricate, way more complex, costs less, and has no errors in it whatsoever. All joints work, all the paint is good, all the markings are straight, etc, etc, etc... If Bandai can do it, I see no reason why Yamato can't adjust their production lines to match.

juz bought but it but my new 19 also have a stress mark.....so sad....if i dun transform,will it break?

• 4 weeks later...
I can't wait for the SUPER nova schemes. I want to see one in red and white, not Milia type colors, but in supernova patterns.

The super nova schemes look awesome.

Same here.

Although I wouldn't mind a YF19 grey cannon fodder scheme to fit in with the vf-11. Who is to say they didn't test the 19 against some zentradi rogues one day that wasn't covered in the anime? :p The grey could be blended amongst all the space junk so it would be like a "camo valk" for fighting around space debris.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Hey all of you guys, I don't have a yamato yf-19 yet, so don't pay attention to me if you don't want it, but personally if I have one I would be very careful with it during transformations and stuff. And when I get one I will use it more like a collectible than a toy.

I can't wait to see both displayed in my bedroom, the 19 and the 21 (when this last one be released by yamato of course) Hey I'm forgetting the vf-11b B)).

Is anyone making a recast for the YF-19 two Gray plastic pieces that hold the neck? I am willing to buy it.

what happened to the neck? What if any problems

have you had with it. I thought that it was sturdy

section of the 19. Or are you just modifying it?

-but personally if I have one I would be very careful with it during transformations and stuff.

Gee, thanks for the advice! :lol:

Not the neck, the two gray things that hold it in place. That common thing with stress marks. On my 3rd transformation it snapped and now I have two YF-19s. The reason it snaps off is because its not in place as it was designed to be. Is anyone making another one that actually fits the way its suppose to?

• 3 months later...

I've been away from the MW "Toy" boards for several months ... and only yesterday started reading some threads to catch up. Anyways, I discovered there were some QC issues with the VF-19 - especially in this thread.

I bought my VF-19 back in Jan, but left it MIB - just never got around to playing with it, since I love the fighter mode (which was displayed in the box) and I was busy trying to buy TF Alternators before sellers starting hiking up prices b'c of the TF movie hype.

Tonight I opened her up and realized that right out of the friggin box, the 2 grey plastic pieces underneath the neck already have stress marks from the screws.

FAWK!!!!!

:angry::angry::angry:

I never even friggin transformed it yet!!!

I got "Yamatoed"!!!!!

:o:o:o

So my question is, am I screwed and will the neck break off soon???

Hi All,

Wanted to add this to the thread, but the site was down.

It's been a couple of days since this happened, so I have pretty much calmed down since then.

MY FAVOURITE YF-19's ARM JUST BROKE!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

CRAP!!!....

Words could not express how I felt at that moment of time!!!...

And the best part is, I have only transformed once.

After that I put it in storage, as I had no place to display it.

I took it out recently to fix the new fast packs on and the arm just dropped off.

And I handle all my Valkyries with care.

I bought the new bundle set and display it now!

So I can keep an eye on it!... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do any of you guys who have it, find the forward and back swing rotating shoulder joint loose?

Cheers,

Just want to share!...

Jerry

post-59-1183442471_thumb.jpg

post-59-1183442478_thumb.jpg

Edited by eming

Woah... that's pretty bad... is it possible if you can get a closer image of the fractured area? (focused around the break)

***EDIT***

Just checked my YF-19. Mine seems fine atm. Nothing but very very very very very very very light stress marks from I do not know where or how. Barely noticeable unless I hold the shoulder joint area about 4 inches away from my eyes and I have pretty much excellent vision (I don't wear glasses for any reason at all).

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

Yamato probably used a different type of ABS. Seeing that there is a long list of ABS types and manufacturers/distributors:

http://www.matweb.com/reference/abspolymermfr.asp

***EDIT***

I'm assuming each company has different specs for their ABS (tensile, shear,compressive, etc.). Guessing with what Yamato did was go with one of the cheaper companies to bank more profit. -=X

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

This is BAD :angry:

Breakage is unacceptable...

Bandai model also use ABS, how come I feel the material is much stronger that Yamato's ABS?

I don't know why you would think that. I've had plenty of bandai models snap on me. The one thing that some of the more complex models have going for them is that there's a lot of overlap of layers of plastic. Which helps strengthen overall... but the individual parts... I don't know, I've never seen an indestructible or flawless toy, despite all the bandai love that goes on here.

I don't know why you would think that. I've had plenty of bandai models snap on me. The one thing that some of the more complex models have going for them is that there's a lot of overlap of layers of plastic. Which helps strengthen overall... but the individual parts... I don't know, I've never seen an indestructible or flawless toy, despite all the bandai love that goes on here.

I think it is because most og my Bandai model are MG, they weight a lot lesser than the Yamato, and the most important, I build them myself, so they were handled with care, no over tigten screw or glue... :p

Or just like what PsYcHoDyNaMiX said, there are different types of ABS...

Woooooh..

How do you do that ??

And the best part is, I have only transformed once.

After that I put it in storage, as I had no place to display it.

I took it out recently to fix the new fast packs on and the arm just dropped off.

And I handle all my Valkyries with care.

Ok... This is incredible...... I think the Yamato's customers are domed....

I take my decision... I never transform again my 2 YF-19... Never....

Sorry! I don't have the YF-19 anymore to take close up pics.

It found a new home with one of the local members here... :lol:

It was pretty much a clean break. I have no idea what could have put soo much pressure on it to cause the breakage.

Anyway I bought the "improved" bundle set to console myself.

I don't mean to worry you guys, but it seems now only time will tell if your piece is a lemon.

I bought my piece when it first came out and it seemed perfect. Until now that is.

Tsk Tsk...

To be precise, a certain company's toy line should be compared to another company's toy line, not models. Take for e.g. bandai SOC or 1/55 macross line, the same ABS plastics are actually alot more firmer and stronger than what was offered by bandai. Never really hear a soc or 1/55 VF-1 broke ^_^

I'm Sorry your arm broke dude, but do u think that swinging the wagins into another circle here is really called for? ONE YF-19 arm has broken. one. thats not an episdemic, its an accident. It happens! I have collected toys of all different kinds for a long time, and they sometime sjust break! They just do! It sucks, but it happens.

I'm with scream man on this one. Until we start hearing more reports come in, this could very well be an isolated incidence. Besides, we all saw Graham namhandle his yf-19's arms getting them into position, I would think that if the part was prone to breaking, we would have more than one heartbreak story.