Yamato 1/60 scale YF-19 problem thread.

Wicked Ace

4) Rear landing Gear unable to cant outwards. This was a design decision by the factory, not a QC problem, therefore not a genuine issue. It is easily modified by those that desire outwarded canted rear landing gear.

Why would they design the landing gear so? Also, I hope all of the people that keep insisting that it's the owner's who can't figure out how to deploy the landing gear outward read your statement, Graham...

4) Rear landing Gear unable to cant outwards. This was a design decision by the factory, not a QC problem, therefore not a genuine issue. It is easily modified by those that desire outwarded canted rear landing gear.

Graham

If the factory made this decision, then I assume it's beneficial towards the manufacturing process or the overall structure of the toy. So can anyone explain how crooked landing gears are supposed to be advantageous?

This is definitely not a major problem, but given the high pricetag the 1/60 YF-19 carries, I think Yamato is being a little inconsiderate. If we were talking about a $20 Transformer, then it'd be a different story.

If the factory made this decision, then I assume it's beneficial towards the manufacturing process or the overall structure of the toy. So can anyone explain how crooked landing gears are supposed to be advantageous?

This is definitely not a major problem, but given the high pricetag the 1/60 YF-19 carries, I think Yamato is being a little inconsiderate. If we were talking about a $20 Transformer, then it'd be a different story.

I actually agree with graham that the stuff being brought up here are not "major" problems... but I think what you said hits the bullseye! There's a quite a few "little" problems for a toy that costs so much money.

I actually agree with graham that the stuff being brought up here are not "major" problems... but I think what you said hits the bullseye! There's a quite a few "little" problems for a toy that costs so much money.

The problems here to some are major... to some, minor. Wherever, whenever, whatever... it can only be Yamato. There ought to be a name for this... like naming metal disease / cancer - rust. From now on, toys poorly planned, made with subpar materials, manufactured thoughtlessly, that will lead to the toys eventual damage, out of order, kaputting should be considered afflicted with disease.

I name the disease, YAMATO SYNDROME. :lol::p:D

Parts are not breaking off on the YF-19. The two small stress marks or cracks in the grey areas under the cockpit do not prevent you from transforming or playing with the toy.

Graham

Actually, my fuselage did break off -- sorry if I was unclear or if things just got muttled in all the replies. The problem with my -19 is not merely an unsightly stress mark problem. I've attached a picture to show what part gets released as a result of one of the gray plastic pivot pieces cracking and breaking at the screw.

To be clear, I do not keep posting up to speak badly of this toy in particular or Yamato, nor am I complaining to the masses. I believe my problem to be the worst case scenario. Rather that merely stating, "this could happen," I included pictures of the problem, and hopefully we'll discover a solution. Graham, thanks for not closing the thread.

post-1617-1170995664_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wicked Ace

Actually, my fuselage did break off -- sorry if I was unclear or if things just got muttled in all the replies. The problem with my -19 is not merely an unsightly stress mark problem. I've attached a picture to show what part gets released as a result of one of the gray plastic pivot pieces cracking and breaking at the screw.

To be clear, I do not keep posting up to speak badly of this toy in particular or Yamato, nor am I complaining to the masses. I believe my problem to be the worst case scenario. Rather that merely stating, "this could happen," I included pictures of the problem, and hopefully we'll discover a solution. Graham, thanks for not closing the thread.

Sorry to hear about your broken YF-19, WA :(

Those two broken tan tabs are exactly what worries me too. With my 19, I literally had to force the tan tabs through the gray plastic area. My first reaction was "these two tabs are going to break after a couple of transformations!" I haven't transformed my 19 since. <_<

I circled the areas where you can see the scrapes and indentations where the tans tabs had to be dug into the gray plastic in order to get them to slide over. In my case, I literally had to plow the tan tabs through the gray plastic. As far as I can tell, there's no "trick" to getting them through aside from brute force. I had hoped that mine was just a defect with oversized tan tabs, but it's not looking like it anymore.

post-221-1171041464_thumb.jpg

i'm not trying to downplay anyones issue but i just don't get it? my tan tabs are exactly as they were, no sanding, no filing involved whatsoever and it transforms normally without a tremendous amount of force.

the key to the transformation is actually pulling the fuselage away from the center section after you break the neck. i just don't understand why people are having a problem with this? :unsure:

i'm not trying to downplay anyones issue but i just don't get it? my tan tabs are exactly as they were, no sanding, no filing involved whatsoever and it transforms normally without a tremendous amount of force.

It's possible mine was defective with larger tabs, but I do know that I had to apply an excessive amount of force to get it through. I would take pictures, but I still don't have a digicam and recently traded away my 19.

You do not need to worry about modifying the shoulders if the cover comes right off. :wacko::angry:

Hinge pin broken clean off.

NOOOOOOOOOOO......

My eyes.... My eyes are burning..... I can't see anymore.......

I know a french handyman.... He has repaired a defective VF-11... and he help me to repair my VF-0S...

If you want, I can give you the Forum were he is.... He can give you some advice and more for yours 19....

Sorry to read about your shoulder break. :( If I'm current on this, your's is the second arm issue for the -19 (IIRC the first was a VF-0 type break.).

lets be real. the shoulder piece didn't just break off on its own. hes been handling it all this time without that issue, all of the sudden he stares too hard and it breaks? it sucks that it broke but let be honest, he must've done something wrong for that to happen.

Tried to recreate the failure on the left shoulder and it has held firm.

Hasn't been handled much and was not transformed until after the break.

Just an odd event and an easy fix.

For my 0S and 0A no breakage in the shoulders. Tail fin spike problems but that has been it.

To be safe I did disassemble the cockpit as opposed to pulling it apart but I doubt that the YF-19 has systemic shoulder problems.

Have had a really good run with Yamato but with all mechanical devices must consider user head space and timing.

Edit: Can not type.

Edited by Fly4victory

lets be real. the shoulder piece didn't just break off on its own. hes been handling it all this time without that issue, all of the sudden he stares too hard and it breaks? it sucks that it broke but let be honest, he must've done something wrong for that to happen.

I agree. Purchasing the damn thing is one of them.

Guys, here's more incredibly stupid Yamato Syndrome - the metal pin for the shoulder hinge THAT thin should at least be drilled dead center between the ABS plastic for even pressure distribution ... but it's not. That piece there shouldn't even be plastic to begin with. God knows where else we'll discover more stupidity like this on the '19 or any other Yamato's previous valks?

post-176-1171334498_thumb.jpg

The problems here to some are major... to some, minor. Wherever, whenever, whatever... it can only be Yamato. There ought to be a name for this... like naming metal disease / cancer - rust. From now on, toys poorly planned, made with subpar materials, manufactured thoughtlessly, that will lead to the toys eventual damage, out of order, kaputting should be considered afflicted with disease.

I name the disease, YAMATO SYNDROME. :lol::p:D

I Concur

As for Yamato Yuck I heard enough

Make mine Toynami!!!

nugundamII, the only thing Toynami that I like enough to pay full retail price for is the MPC Voltron. I get an expected performance from it, but unlike a complete satisfaction that one would get out of its Godaikin predecessor. For the rest of Toynami's stuff you'll need this.

[attachmentid=40359]

Sorry, as much as I hate Yamato right now... Toynami is not there yet. :lol:

post-176-1171349879_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beware of Blast

nugundamII, the only thing Toynami that I like enough to pay full retail price for is the MPC Voltron. I get an expected performance from it, but unlike a complete satisfaction that one would get out of its Godaikin predecessor. For the rest of Toynami's stuff you'll need this.

[attachmentid=40359]

Sorry, as much as I hate Yamato right now... Toynami is not there yet. :lol:

bah, toynami can't even see "there" from where they are. my alpha has pretty much every yamato goof all rolled into one little floppy blue POS.

1) Wonky gunpod: minor aesthetic problem only. Easily fixed by owner. To be fixed by Yamato on later versions of toy. It's a shame this slipped through the checks, but it did. At least it is easily fixed.

3) Left shoulder flap detaches too easily when fully extended. Pretty much every toy from every manufacturer (Bandai, Takaraa, Max Factory, etc, etc) has small parts that do not attach firmly enough and fall off too easily. A very minor issue. Hopefully, to be fixed on later issues.

1. Not minor. It's very visible from most angles. And how is it EASILY fixed by the owner, without ruining it visually? Gluing on chunks of plastic to force it to align is NOT a solution. That's as bad as saying "just don't attach it in fighter mode". And I still don't buy ANY excuse about it "slipping through cracks". It has a 100% occurence rate.

3. The left one should be an exact mirror of the right one. Isn't this what CAD and laser-carved molds are for? Precision and symmetry? So why do the two shoulders act different? Lego was making absolutely perfect mirror-image parts decades ago, in ABS plastic no less. Yamato doesn't seem to be able to do half as well, with tools decades newer.

4. Design decision? They why are the wheels themselves tilted WAY outwards when un-modified? If the gear was supposed to be straight, then the wheels should have been straight. As-is, they can barely even make contact with the ground, they're balancing on the edge of their treads. I'll accept a "they changed it" explanation, but won't believe that's how it was originally designed. What plane has the wheels/axles tilted 30 degrees outwards/downwards when viewed head-on? The wheels should be attached right, if that's how it was originally designed. And if it was originally designed to have fixed, straight-down gear, then why does it have a hinge to angle outwards in the first place? It's not fixed, it just can't angle out enough as-built to look right either way. We're not modifiying it to ADD the ability to angle, we're just adding some more degrees of angling. If it wasn't supposed to be that way in the first place, why is it molded to do so?

I didn't care much about the angle of the gear stuts, I just wanted the thing to sit flat on its tires!! That's 90% of the reason I modified mine. (We airplane modelers can't stand the tires not sitting on the ground, it's something we learn from our first model) Unmodified, it looks like it's trying to do ballet on its tip-toes or something. (And would sure as heck break its axles apart trying to land)

Whether it be major, minor. Whatever. I just hope they all eventually get fixed in later runs.

I eagerly await reviews and impressions of the Yf-19 w fp release to hear if there is anything different about them. (if anyone can afford it :D Graham is probably secretly selling his older yf19 on ebay to get the improved versions lol)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I've transformed my YF-19 multiple times, and have checked the original piece in question for stress marks. I have none to report. but to keep is safe, I have turned out the screws about twice out of the socket, to relieve any tight screwing. The screw head is still flush with the plastic, and there are no negative reactions, so I hope that works if you have just stress marks and or a brand spankin' new toy. Anybody wanna work on making a very durable resin cast of this piece??? I'd probably buy a couple just for safe keeping, especially if they produce variants of the 19. :D

I agree. Purchasing the damn thing is one of them.

LOL! you're killing me dude! :D

as far as the blurry pic you posted, its just that, a blurry pic.

theres no real way to make out the details.

no matter, i guess i got a perfect one while the rest of you guys got lemons, so go make some lemonade! :p