25th Anniversary GI Joe

JELEINEN

Marketing/advertising was nowhere near as good/broad as it should have been. Sure we got ads for the comic packs later on in Toyfare and whatnot, but gvc was a big push at retail, with very little media push. It didn't help that no cartoon was even made til Sigma 6, and the Spystroops/VVV movies were forgettable.

Next year we get a movie, comics, cartoon, and toys for basically everything, Next year will make the joe relaunch in 2002 look bare minimum.

umm... sorry to come back to this, but I was sorting through my comic collection, and I noticed a lot of Spy Troops and VvV adds and not just in the GI Joe title itself but in various marvel comics... so there was ads, and they were in the right place promoting the DVD release which would in turn promote the toys.

I'm pretty sure there were even some tv spots for the DVDs when they came out, (yeah they weren't great films... but still).

Honestly, I think they were using the right channels to get to the collectors.

Honestly, I think they were using the right channels to get to the collectors.

To collectors yes, but as at the time, the toyline was mainly marketed towards kids, and at that, it failed. Around the time those toylines were released, I, and many others in the joe fandom kept wondering why there just wasn't enough effort put in for marketing. Compare it to other brands that Hasbro had at the time, and marketing for joe was definitely lacking. They may have had marketing in most channels covered, sure, but it wasn't enough, there was no consistent push.