25th Anniversary GI Joe

JELEINEN

The hooded CC and masked CC's are very different shades of blue.

Basically--every CC is a different shade of blue. (If they weren't, I would combine parts from different ones to make the "perfect" CC---as it is, I consider the one from the TRU 3-pack to be the best)

Lightest to darkest:

TRU 3-pack

Comic 2-pack

"Normal" masked

Mass Device Masked

Hooded

Update on American Card GI Joes in Canada, my friend has started to get his shipments in and compared to everyone at WEM he's charging way less... 10.99 for individual figs and 16.99 for Comic packs... as I said he's going to be selling me the waves by the box... then I might pick up some extra army builder figures too...

I love having a friend who owns a hobby store, and it's even better that he's as much if not more of a GI Joe fan then I am.

Yo Joe!

Anyone in Edmonton, let Paul at All Star Sports cards in Edmonton know you want American GI Joe figures and he'll hook you up.

I bought a target exclusive Hisstank at WEM today too, but it turns out I over payed. *grumble*

He should come with a pair of sun glasses so he can fight Roadblock for twenty minutes in an alley to get him to put on the shades and see the aliens walking among them.

This was the film "They Live", right? As I recall, it was a cheesy B movie ....

:p

And the Roddy Piper figure doesn't look so great here ....

http://www.yojoe.com/action/07/agu/rowdyroddypiper.shtml

So I won't miss him in my 25th collection!

:lol:

That's the one... it's basically Duke Nukem the movie... or is that the other way around?

Duke Nukem 3-D was definitely paying homage to They Live, particularly in the 'kick ass and chewe bubblegum' line. It is REALLY cheesy... from music to camera work to acting (Piper should get an award for successfully stifling his usual charisma), but it while it's not a great film by anyone's standards, it's a fun enough flick to watch if you haven't seen it and you have a book/computer/hand held game/some other distraction during the slow points where they just pan across the poor person park and play the theme over and over...

It is hysterical on television on a station that does regular commerical breaks because it might just be the one movie where a fist fight in an alley (the one I alluded to above) actually can span over two breaks. :p

Just put the damn glasses on, will ya!!!!

Does the Piper figure have a black Serpentor mask? Why? I don't remember the Iron Grenadiers using snake motifs at all. That's sort of a disappointment.

It is hysterical on television on a station that does regular commerical breaks because it might just be the one movie where a fist fight in an alley (the one I alluded to above) actually can span over two breaks. :p

Just put the damn glasses on, will ya!!!!

Yeah, I infact did see the movie on TV some time ago... I just couldn't remember if it came first or if Duke Nukem did (I'm not a fan of those games).

Why does Piper's card painting make him look like Roman, your cousin in Grand Theft Auto IV? :blink:

He should come with a pair of sun glasses so he can fight Roadblock for twenty minutes in an alley to get him to put on the shades and see the aliens walking among them.

I love the fact that South Park used that fight sequence for the fight between Timmy and Jimmy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fHgcfpgJP3U

so opened up my hiss tank... My joes are in trouble now... they are outmanned and outgunned.

Picked up two comic packs today

Storm Shadow and Firefly

and

Shipwreck and Copperhead

All four of those figures have something to love. When I first looked at it in the pack, I wasn't fond of Tommy A's shirtless look but he's just so cool with his claw and such. Firefly has a wicked paintjob and the BEST BACKPACK ever... being a toolbox that opens up with everything he needs to sabotage things and plant bombs... with removable wrench (I think that's what it is) and flashlight.

Copperhead is ace for having a clip cover for his holster and the proper hand grips to actually hold an assault rifle properly. and I just like shipwreck's grappling hook.

So I'm confused on when the Stormshadow/Firefly comic is supposed to take place, the card and base read Storm Shadow as a cobra, but he's calling in favors from Snake-eyes and the Joes... and he fights Slice and Dice, who didn't show up until well after Storm Shadow left cobra IIRC.

Anyway much coolness.

So I'm confused on when the Stormshadow/Firefly comic is supposed to take place, the card and base read Storm Shadow as a cobra, but he's calling in favors from Snake-eyes and the Joes... and he fights Slice and Dice, who didn't show up until well after Storm Shadow left cobra IIRC.

Its in the DDP run. Slice and Dice did join Cobra long after Storm Shadow left, but before the marvel run was over, Storm Shadow, Baroness, Billy, Destro, and Zartan were brainwashed into joining Cobra again. When he the DDP run started and Storm Shadow returned(which ties into the Marvel run), he appeared in that costume, designed by Mike Zeck, but better looking. During this time the brainwashing finally wore off, albeit very, very slowly. Now he is on the joe team and the last issue of the DDP run is set for this month.

Its in the DDP run. Slice and Dice did join Cobra long after Storm Shadow left, but before the marvel run was over, Storm Shadow, Baroness, Billy, Destro, and Zartan were brainwashed into joining Cobra again. When he the DDP run started and Storm Shadow returned(which ties into the Marvel run), he appeared in that costume, designed by Mike Zeck, but better looking. During this time the brainwashing finally wore off, albeit very, very slowly. Now he is on the joe team and the last issue of the DDP run is set for this month.

Yes I know, I read most of the marvel run and all of the DDP run up until the Snake-eyes as a Red Ninja/Sei Tin in another body story-arc. And of the Marvel stuff I read that did include all of the "Starring Snake-eyes and the Ninja Force/Starring Snake Eyes and Transformers Generation 2" stuff... I'm still slightly confused on the comic, but near as I can figure it must take place after the coil arc, and after Storm Shadow breaks free of Cobra Commanders control completely but before America's elite... since he's calling in favors from the Joes but not being a part of the actual team and since Slice and Dice are hunting Firefly (Firefly was working with the "The Coil" so that would be why Slice and Dice were hunting him). Likewise it likely would have to take place either before Duke, Snake-eyes and Scarlett became fugitives (Duke for blackmailing the Jugglers, Snake and Scarlett for their place in an operation where Cobra destroyed a whole city and made it look like the Joes did it), since Storm Shadow was free of mind control at that point (he helped everyone escape) and past that point until the end of the "Red Shadows" arc there would have been no way for him to offer assistance. It could alternately be in between RAH and America's Elite, when the GI Joe team was inactive and before Storm Shadow was a member again, but I doubt it.

I wouldn't care if it was like the Shipwreck/Copperhead comic... cause that comic is just a total stand-alone story and isn't even that good... but the Storm Shadow/Firefly one is kind of important since it tells us,

that Firefly's sister is still alive, and that Storm Shadow was giving up on getting revenge

The hooded CC and masked CC's are very different shades of blue.

Basically--every CC is a different shade of blue. (If they weren't, I would combine parts from different ones to make the "perfect" CC---as it is, I consider the one from the TRU 3-pack to be the best)

Lightest to darkest:

TRU 3-pack

Comic 2-pack

"Normal" masked

Mass Device Masked

Hooded

Just watched the 2nd Mini Series, the Revenge of Cobra for the first time in ages yesterday.

If you want to get technical, a dark blue hood on a light blue body would be cartoon accurate.

Here's a screengrab I took.

post-515-1214057537_thumb.jpg

and helmeted for comparison

post-515-1214057560_thumb.jpg

RAH001.BMP

Unfortunately, it doesn't work nearly as well with the figures. It's not just a darker blue, but an almost midnight blue... it's leaning towards having purple in it to match well, while the corrected buckle body is a purer blue. Depending on the lighting, it can look okay, but in most cases, it stands out as much more than 'well, maybe different materials'.

switchhoodccur1.th.jpg

Still, there definitely is something for the two color look... If I had a second CC, I'd might consider a paint job just to see what it would look like it a more cartoon accurate dark blue.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work nearly as well with the figures. It's not just a darker blue, but an almost midnight blue... it's leaning towards having purple in it to match well, while the corrected buckle body is a purer blue. Depending on the lighting, it can look okay, but in most cases, it stands out as much more than 'well, maybe different materials'.

switchhoodccur1.th.jpg

Still, there definitely is something for the two color look... If I had a second CC, I'd might consider a paint job just to see what it would look like it a more cartoon accurate dark blue.

Dude that's awesome Southpaw! :lol:

and damn quick too

The "first run" hooded CC is actually pretty close to cartoon accurate (in idea, not shade) AFAIK---it has the "medium dark" body of the other hooded CC's, but an even darker hood. It is overall darker than the cartoon, but it does have the "mask is a BIT darker" effect.

The pic of CC variants again, look at the left one: http://www.yojoe.com/action/variations/cob...mander25var.jpg

See, I want either the left or right one (darker hood or better buckles---or both!) but 99.9% of hooded CC's out there are the one in the middle.

I'm still slightly confused on the comic, but near as I can figure it must take place after the coil arc, and after Storm Shadow breaks free of Cobra Commanders control completely but before America's elite... since he's calling in favors from the Joes but not being a part of the actual team and since Slice and Dice are hunting Firefly (Firefly was working with the "The Coil" so that would be why Slice and Dice were hunting him).

Its most likely between the time span of DDP's issue 21, and America's Elite. DDP's 21 ended with him choosing to stay with Cobra...or what seemed like it, as he stopped Snake Eyes from killing Cobra Commander. Master and Apprentice II happened soon afterwards, where he finally got out of Cobra. Its definitely in the DDP run though, as the costume is, and it makes more sense continuity wise.

Its most likely between the time span of DDP's issue 21, and America's Elite. DDP's 21 ended with him choosing to stay with Cobra...or what seemed like it, as he stopped Snake Eyes from killing Cobra Commander. Master and Apprentice II happened soon afterwards, where he finally got out of Cobra. Its definitely in the DDP run though, as the costume is, and it makes more sense continuity wise.

M and A II I still haven't read... but how soon after could it be? I mean we see that Storm Shadow was still with Cobra in the early 30s when Cobra was preparing to attack Serpentor's forces... Storm Shadow says he's too tired emotionally and physically to participate in the attack.

So it would have to be after that point correct?

Finally LT Falcon!!!!!! They should've made Nemesis with his bat wings.

A few ideas for other comic packs:

jinx vs pythona

Globulusvs sgt slaughter or mutated CC

wet suit and Leatherneck

I've wanted a Pythona figure since I was like 12... (And c'mon, Nemesis Enforcer and Lt Falcon have already had figures--Pythona has NEVER had a figure)

PS--are Falcon's colors "wrong"? I recall him being much more brown, camo-wise.

I've wanted a Pythona figure since I was like 12... (And c'mon, Nemesis Enforcer and Lt Falcon have already had figures--Pythona has NEVER had a figure)

They had a Hasbro Design Team Custom fig or Pythona at last years comic con

post-515-1214159587_thumb.jpg

They also made raptor, shockwave, lifeline, alley viper, range viper, zarana, leatherneck, nightcreeper, sgt. slaughter & airtight

Hasbro Design Team 25th Anniversary Customs

I agree with ya on Falcon's colors being off. But I think he originally had a darker shade of green with more black camo.

I also want to see Dusty and the Joe sniper(name eludes me).

Yeah, we really need Dusty. In the 80's, desert camo was "fairly unique and rare" honestly, for US forces at least. But now---we really need some desert camo guys!

As for Falcon:

0254.gif

Note coloring. Original toy matches that perfectly. (yes, I chose that pic on purpose--it's just awesome in so many ways)

And for sheer Falcon camo reference, this one's very good: http://www.joetoonarchive.com/albums/Movie%204/0151.gif

Good pics. Hopefully they will have a repaint of Falcon in Movie accurate colors. It doesn't appear that Falcon has his shotgun either.

I also would like to see cross country.

Edited by Golden Arms

Finally LT Falcon!!!!!! They should've made Nemesis with his bat wings.

A few ideas for other comic packs:

jinx vs pythona

Globulusvs sgt slaughter or mutated CC

wet suit and Leatherneck

Umm Nemesis does have bat wings... look at the package closer. And I dunno how much Larry likes having to right an original comic about Cobra-la characters. ^^;

It's really close as 80's Joe figures go... A whole lot better than the new comic pack. At least they got the "overall color is brown" thing right.

I mean, Falcon is THE movie character and the movie is THE canon reference for his design. If it doesn't match the movie, it isn't Falcon.

@GoldenArms: Joe sniper was named LowLight. I really want him too!!

Finally found the wave 4 comic packs over the weekend!! They are awesome!! Storm Shadow, Firefly, RedStar ... amazing!! Comics are slightly better too!!

B))

@GoldenArms: Joe sniper was named LowLight. I really want him too!!

Finally found the wave 4 comic packs over the weekend!! They are awesome!! Storm Shadow, Firefly, RedStar ... amazing!! Comics are slightly better too!!

B))

Define "better", the Storm Shadow/Firefly comic was just a serious of witty comebacks that felt like they belonged in an issue of Cable and Deadpool... and the Shipwreck/Leatherneck comic was totally pointless (havn't picked up Duke/Redstar yet)... I prefer the "inbetween the pages of the marvel comics" comics that actually add something new (granted the Firefly/Storm Shadow did but only a few panels of import)...

Though in terms of artwork these ones blow the other exclusive comics away.

I mean, Falcon is THE movie character and the movie is THE canon reference for his design. If it doesn't match the movie, it isn't Falcon.

WOW....Just wow.... :ph34r:

I'm sure that Hasbro and the Trademark office will beg to differ, but whatever <_<

Actually, you know what, you're right. It ISN'T Falcon.

It's Lt. Falcon, so re-lax, it's not the same as your movie Falcon ^_^

Edited by chowyunskinny

WOW....Just wow.... :ph34r:

I'm sure that Hasbro and the Trademark office will beg to differ, but whatever <_<

Actually, you know what, you're right. It ISN'T Falcon.

It's Lt. Falcon, so re-lax, it's not the same as your movie Falcon ^_^

Umm... he was always Lt. Falcon... even in the movie... count the number of times he was addressed by rank.