25th Anniversary GI Joe

JELEINEN

I saw all of the wave 3 sets at Frank & Sons but instead bought the new SW Evolution figs (Darth Nihilus and Darth Bane rock, as does Vader's Secret Apprentice and the Jango/Boba. A bit disapointed in the Qui-Gon, though).

Almost couldn't resist getting the Fred removable helmet CG/scarred trooper... I really wish they made the chest articulation like Cobra Commander instead of where it is. I hate that ball joint as it ruins the sculpt of the fig IMO.

I saw all of the wave 3 sets at Frank & Sons but instead bought the new SW Evolution figs (Darth Nihilus and Darth Bane rock, as does Vader's Secret Apprentice and the Jango/Boba. A bit disapointed in the Qui-Gon, though).

Those look awesome. Especially the Sith lord version of the apprentice. I've decided to get the Darth set over the previous Sith set since the Maul in this one has ball jointed elbows.

Almost couldn't resist getting the Fred removable helmet CG/scarred trooper... I really wish they made the chest articulation like Cobra Commander instead of where it is. I hate that ball joint as it ruins the sculpt of the fig IMO.

Its a great set, however the CG helmet is too wide from the side. It takes some fidgeting to keep it secured too. Its hard to find a good position for him to hold his gun. If his hand was angled downwards it would look so much more natural with the new gun. The trooper is Scarface(in the comic too), and my dissapointments are that his helmet is not very secure, and mine had a wrist peg that started to tear. I've fixed it by pulling the hand out, and applying super glue, as well as shaving some plastic from the interior of the forearm to lessen the friction. All of you who think you may have a stuck joint with the wrists, push the hand in as far as it will go before trying to twist it. I'm not sure if this would have helped my figure because the wrist peg was already exposed in package and bent, but it may have helped.

The gun he comes with is far superior to that sniper rifle the troopers have been coming with. The comic was dissapointing, I'm starting to think Larry Hama just provided the outline, and someone else wrote it. The dialogue is incohesive. Other than that I like the set a lot. I was surprised to find this and the Ace set, but not the SE/SS and Crimson twins set. Actually, I'm more surprised I did not find the ninjas in this wave. Those are the guys no one wants aside from me it seems.

Ace and Wild Weasel is a great set. Wild Weasel has a removable visor but you cannot tell by looking at it. Ace looks like he is a deranged fighter pilot set to kill any Cobra aircraft in his sight. Eyes wide open and an angry look. His overall look is reminiscent of the original but when I put my 99 version(repaint of 83 version in grey/black) side by side, the uniforms are completely different. Nonetheless it works. Colorwise it does not look less astronaut like, but mold wise it definitely does. The big ripple pads are not on the new one. The removable vest was a nice touch. He cannot fit in the Thunderwing's pilot seat, unfortunately. He fits in both the Skystriker and Conquest though! I don't have a Skystriker(a complete one at least, my neighbor broke my Night Boomber years ago, but I have the 99 Conquest, which Ace piloted, so I shoved the new one in there!). I love how his armbands show his name, and the Skystriker insignia. The worst news it that:

Wild Weasel cannot fit in the Rattler, nor the Power Team A-10!

If the knife and holster are removed from his legs, he may fit, but I'm not sure. Range of motion is good for both figures. I am not a fan of the homage cover for the included comic by Greg Horn. The artist for the interiors is bad. I'm not sure if he got a lot better over the years, but the art in this issue was terrible. Using the F/A-18 as reference for the Skystriker was a horrible idea. Seeing the Phantom X-19 smaller than a truck was atrocious too.

Happier with Rock'n'Roll in person than in the preview pictures. The head sculpt is nice, capturing his very 'you sure that's regulation length?' hair and beard almost perfectly. Despite having the generic body parts (which work, because that's how the first thirteen Joes were), he does look unique enough with the bandoliers (even though they are definitely for a different weapon than what he currently is using, given the giant-sized belt his over-sized M60 uses). Hopefully down the road we'll get the second version RnR, short his ridiculous paired double miniguns....

I must've missed the pictures and info that Torpedo was going to have a mask instead of it being molded like his original. Very nice surprise and it works as well as Snowjob's new optional headgear. Torp's otherwise a dead ringer for his original, short the trademark holsters (but at least it gives him a silenced pistol in addition to his speargun). One of my favorite surprises about Torpedo? His flippers have holes in them so he can stand on his named stand while wearing them! Neat!(even though he then towers over everyone else).

torpnrr1dt3.jpg

With and without head gear... nicely done faces for our surf boarder and scuba diver.

torpnrr2yc8.jpg

Yes, the stand for RnR's machine gun makes it look like a crossbow when not deployed.

BTW, once again we have discrepancies between code names and actual ranks. Rock'n'Roll, who did make E-6 by his second figure, is back to being a E-5 like his original card, but like his old comrade Flash, he decided to 'undemote' himself and goes by the codename 'SSgt Rock'n'Roll'... which is not only wishful thinking on the rank, but also raises the question of his branch of service as the Marines and Air Force use the 'SSgt' designation while the Army tends to just use SSG. Perhapes RnR was the team's first jarhead and not Gungho? Doubtful and more ignorance in using what seemed to be the most obvious abbreviated designation.

Torpedo decides to do both Flash and Rock'n'Roll one better. The Chief decided being a warrant officer (W0-4) wasn't good enough, so he not only decided to bump up his rank with his codename, but commission himself an officer... and not only an officer, he wasn't happy with Ensign Torpedo or LTJG Torpedo, but went three ranks in at Lieutenant (0-3). Unlike Flash and Rock'n'Roll, I don't think he was ever that rank.

Yeah, again I'm being a stickler on details but I really do miss Hama's touch which ensured some fact checking and authenticity. And it's sort of a shame because all it would take would be a few characters difference on the Grade line of their cards to make their code names match their ranks.

Edited by Southpaw Samurai

Anybody have the Wave 3 comic packs or see them on the pegs? BBTS just screwed me out of 2 comic packs since I was buying a lot of 2x sets of the Wave 3 comic packs. Instead they gave me one ace and WW and Tomax and Xamot pack. To replace them they gave me wave 2. It was actually hasbro's doing according to BBTS but paying for $80 for what they portrayed... I am not happy but they are now sold out of Ace and WW. ARRGH!

I haven't seen any Wave 3 Comic Packs around here yet... Wave 1's abound with some Wave 2's and right now it seems a lot of the Wave 4 singles (plenty of Dukes and CC's).

You might be hosed just because of the limited inventory they'll get from Hasbro, but I'd definitely try to work with the BBTS guys on resolving your issue. In the many times I've ordered from them, I've had one time with an incorrect item shipped and once where something was damaged in the mail and both times they were almost bending over backwards to correct the situation. Generally nice and friendly guys.

Did you order a case? In such situations, it really IS Hasbro who caused you to be shortchanged one type for another because they changed the contents of the case. When ordering cases from places like BBTS or other online stores, you're really ordering 'Case #xxxxx' not x amount of item a and y amount of item b.... Hasbro could've changed the entire case to My Little Pony figures and it would be BBTS's fault unless they didn't warn you. I've tended to go individual orders when possible for that reason (unless the case or group order is discounted enough to warrant to chances of changes).

I'd try working with them to see if you can return/refund the two packs you don't want. It seems like the Ace/WW one is the hot one and the others are still available for pre-order, so they may be hesitant to refund a partial order and get back the peg warmers, but given my experience with them, if you're polite enough about it, they'll probably work something out. That way you can at least have the money available to pick it up elsewhere.

Toyfair press release:

Hasbro: G.I. Joe Counts Down To Big Screen Debut

Posted by Curto on February 14, 2008 at 03:37 PM CST:

PAWTUCKET, R.I. (February 14, 2008) – With the first-ever full-length G.I. JOE feature film from Paramount Pictures in association with Hasbro, scheduled to land in movie theaters in August of 2009, Hasbro enlists an entire regiment of new G.I. JOE vs. COBRA figures and comics to reinforce its wildly popular 25th Anniversary line.

The 2008 toys tap into two fan favorite components from the 1980s: the popular cartoon series and the 3-3/4-inch scale vehicles. In addition, the classic 12” scale figure returns this Fall with a kid-focused line that helps introduce a new generation of fans to the G.I. JOE vs. COBRA fantasy prior to the saga hitting multiplexes around the world next year.

G.I. JOE PRODUCTS

G.I. JOE vs. COBRA 3-3/4-inch Entertainment Battle Packs

(Approximate retail price $19.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: June 2008 with additional waves throughout the year)

Images from the classic 1980s G.I. JOE cartoon series are captured in the new battle packs, which include a 5-episode mini-series DVD and 3 to 4 highly articulated 3-3/4-inch figures pulled from these episodes. The five packs slated for June release are: The MASS Device, Weather Dominator, Arise Serpentor Arise, Pyramid of Darkness, and G.I. JOE The Movie (1980s).

G.I. JOE vs. COBRA Vehicle Assortment

(Approximate retail price $14.99: Ages 5 & up; Available: June 2008 with additional waves throughout the year)

G.I. JOE fans regularly state that “more vehicle offerings” is at the top of their product wish list. Due to the success of the 25th Anniversary line of 3-3/4 inch figures, their wish will be granted, with the introduction of vehicles to the G.I. JOE vs. COBRA battle. In 2008, this new vehicle line will update and upgrade several of the fan-favorite 80s vehicles, such as COBRA V.A.M.P. and Armadillo TANK vs. Serpentor’s Chariot.

G.I. JOE vs. COBRA 3-3/4-inch Single Packs

(Approximate retail price $5.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: Now, with additional waves throughout the year)

In 2008, Hasbro will launch seven waves of action figures -- featuring 40 figures in all -- throughout the year. The figures include a base stand featuring the character’s name and are designed with high levels of articulation to provide kids hours of interactive fun with their favorite G.I. JOE characters. The action figures are also packed in vintage 80s-style packaging.

G.I. JOE vs. COBRA Comic 2-Packs

(Approximate retail price $9.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: Now, with additional waves throughout the year) One of the most popular comics of the 1980s returns to the toy aisle with brand new stories written by G.I. JOE legend Larry Hama. Each G.I. JOE vs. COBRA comic 2-packs comes with a full-sized comic, along with two 3-3/4-inch figures designed to look just like their comic iterations. Fifteen unique packs -- each containing two figures -- will arrive at stores throughout 2008.

G.I. JOE vs. COBRA 12-Inch Figures

(Approximate retail price $14.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: Wave 1 - June 2008; Wave 2 - Aug. 2008)

In 2008 the G.I. JOE vs. COBRA fantasy will once again make the leap from the 3 ¾’’ scale to the 12’’ scale which put of G.I. JOE on the map in 1964. This new assortment combines the saga of G.I. JOE vs. COBRA with a more “realistic” feel expression in the uniforms and gear. Figures include SNAKE EYES, COBRA COMMANDER and FLINT.

About G.I. Joe

With the arrival of the G.I. JOE action-figure in 1964, Hasbro revolutionized the toy industry and forever altered the way boys play. G.I. JOE has been among the most popular boy brands of all time and has provided millions with endless backyard adventures. Throughout its 44-year history, the G.I. JOE brand has constantly evolved, keeping relevant to new generations through new toy trends and innovations such as the ADVENTURE TEAM and KUNG-FU GRIP of the 70’s and the JOE vs. COBRA line of the 80’s. For more information about G.I. JOE, visit www.gijoe.com. For information about the Official G.I. JOE Collector’s Club, call (817) 448-9863, or visit www.gijoeclub.com.

About Hasbro

Hasbro (NYSE:HAS) is a worldwide leader in children’s and family leisure time entertainment products and services, including the design, manufacture and marketing of games and toys ranging from traditional to high-tech. Both internationally and in the U.S., its PLAYSKOOL, TONKA, MILTON BRADLEY, PARKER BROTHERS, TIGER, and WIZARDS OF THE COAST brands and products provide the highest quality and most recognizable play experiences in the world.

If you guys want the Skystriker, Night Raven, and other vehicles from the past, make your voices heard!

My wallet's leery, but not scared yet. It all depends on what this all comes down to. Are the 3 3/4" a continuation of the new 25th Anniversary style or do they return to the classic (or worse, something entirely different)? At this point, I'm only really interested in 25th Anniversary style myself and even then won't be too interested if we start seeing bright colors or other pro-child gimmicks (not that I have anything against making the toys for kids... but even as a kid I'd prefer pretending things were firing rather than have a missile than 'really worked' but launched limply for at best maybe ten scaled yards).

I'll even break rank and file here and say that while I loved the vehicles as a kid, I don't clamor for them today. For one, I really don't have much room and, secondly, I've always liked G.I.Joe as small team, special forces rather than mini-armies. I won't lie... a good HISS tank (similar to the first version), a VAMP, or remade MOBAT (though I have a 1:18 M1A1) would be neat, but I'd (with a little sadness because I adored them as a kid) probably wind up passing on a Skystriker or Rattler....

Ideally, I'd like Hasbro to bascially use the 25th Anniversary style as a base and continue it on through the movie lineup... so if I felt like a comic-accurate Hawk today, I could have him, but if I felt like one that looked remotely like Dennis Quaid tomorrow, he could just be swapped out without looking out of place. Of course, that's just me and I can see this heading the same way my personal Transformer collecting Renaissance went... enthusiastically picked up the Alternators, but aside from a few really nice looking ones, pretty much dropped it against once they went all movie based.

Are the 3 3/4" a continuation of the new 25th Anniversary style or do they return to the classic

Continuation, the 25th logo will not appear on the fall cards/boxes, but its still a continuation of the anniversary body. As far as I know Master Collector/Gijoe Club will be using the classic/vintage molds for their exclusives, while Hasbro will be using the anniversary sculpts.

even then won't be too interested if we start seeing bright colors or other pro-child gimmicks (not that I have anything against making the toys for kids..

You most likely won't see that until the movie line, even then its skeptical if they will do that.

I'll even break rank and file here and say that while I loved the vehicles as a kid, I don't clamor for them today.

You're not alone, I was surprised at the number of fans at hisstank who said the same thing a few weeks back. As for me, I like most of them, but there are a few that I could do without.

Ideally, I'd like Hasbro to bascially use the 25th Anniversary style as a base and continue it on through the movie lineup... so if I felt like a comic-accurate Hawk today, I could have him, but if I felt like one that looked remotely like Dennis Quaid tomorrow, he could just be swapped out without looking out of place.

Actually I think its likely that Hasbro will go that direction. The more improvements they tack on, the more durable the figures have become, and the less clamoring there is for the O-ring, less need for it too.

I just got comic pack wave 3 SE vs SS. I think this Storm Shadow is now my favorite version of him in the anniversary line. The cloak is an awesome look. The wrist/forearm has been retooled. The peg is no longer attached to the hand, it is attached to the forearm, and as far as I can tell, is more durable than the previous versions, and less flimsy. It feels like its harder plastic. Tomax and Xamot have the same configuration.

BTW for an extremely simple and quick Sigma 6 custom version on a 3-3/4" Storm Shadow, simply take the wave 3 comic version, do a head swap with the cobra battle pack, or wave 4 single card version, paint the bandolier red, and BAM!

3-3/4" Sigma 6 Storm Shadow!(even the logo would be in the right place!)

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

I am prolly one in the minority here but I liked the GI JOE cartoon where they are huge armies of joes and cobra especially green shirts. I still like the old school joes and now the way they are remaking them. However, I am hoping they will remake all the joes save for the nice and bright ones like the eco-warriors and DEA stuff. If they did the remakes up to 1987, I would be fine with that. I am still looking for Wet-suit and Leatherneck as well as Alpine and Bazooka. I may skip out on the new sculpted ones unless they look really good to me.

As for the vehicles, I am hoping they will make the skystriker to 1:18 scale like the BBI toys but I dont see that happening as you need retooling and such.

My wallet hates me or I should say hate CMs, Yamato, Wave, and Hasbro. Man where am I gonna save money here for a ring, wedding, and retirement?

My feelings on the vehicles is a little mixed after I saw the boxed photos. I was hoping they would have gone the same route as they did with the 25th figures and have them in their classic packaging and having to build it and add the stickers on yourself. For me that was one of the best parts of getting them.

I have a really fond memory of getting the Defiant as a kid, spending hours putting it together then running outside and re-enacting a crash landing into a snow bank. If I had only knew how much that thing was going to be worth...I probably wouldn't have had so much with it.

toyfair pics from toynewsi

Vamp w/Clutch

post-515-1203216776_thumb.jpg

Trouble Bubble with Tele Viper

post-515-1203216811_thumb.jpg

Viper, Major Bludd, B.A.T

post-515-1203216836_thumb.jpg post-515-1203216863_thumb.jpg post-515-1203216883_thumb.jpg

what interests me the most though are the mini series packs. Baroness in a red wet suit FOR THE WIN!

post-515-1203216915_thumb.jpg

Irradiated Snake Eyes...sick! TV style Lady J...woohoo!

post-515-1203216932_thumb.jpg post-515-1203216946_thumb.jpg

and they're including the MASS Device and Weather Dominator toys?

Yooooo SNOW!!!

Man, I like the TV based Joes. Lady J looks awesome. I wonder if they will do a TV style Flint (he is in full camo IIRC) or Ace. It is good to be a joe collector.

On a side note, I got me wave 3 comic packs from my bro who found them at the Athens, GA Target. I cancelled my preorder with BBTS. I saved on shipping and whatever profit Joel is making.

That Baroness makes me wonder where Jynx is. I always thought the trouble bubble was kinda corny. Probably won't be getting that...

I don't remember an irradiated Snake Eyes... what was up with that? The Lady Jaye looks great... much better than the current release.

Wow. The GI Joe lineup at Toyfair is infinitely more impressive to me than the Star Wars lineup. I've seen maybe 3-4 things in the SW booth which I'd buy, whereas I want it ALL in the GI Joe booth.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but if I remember correctly it's from when Snake Eyes gets stuck trying to get the radioactive crystals, one of three elements needed for the Mass Device

Yep. First mini-series. G.I.Joe goes to get one of the three elements needed for a MASS device up in an Arctic mine. Cobra attacks. Scarlett tries to get Snake-eyes (who's deeper in the mines getting the crystals) to respond over a walkie-talkie (yes, he could respond via Morse code, but the look Snake-eyes gives his radio when she's saying, "Snake-eyes, respond." looks like "Damn, doesn't she realize I'm MUTE?!?!"). Cobra blows up the mine and that releases a deadly radioactive cloud. Snake-eyes seals the mine to save his comrades, then gets all glowey via the gas. He eventually escapes the mine and Major Bludd in what almost feels like pity decides not to shoot him because he'll die soon enough (if it was pity, wouldn't they HAVE shot him?).

Snake-eyes, glowing with a bucket o' crystals, wanders the arctic wilds. He comes across a wolf (presumably Timber) trapped in a bear trap and frees him. Later, S.E. gets attacked by apparently the true target of said trap, the biggest polar bear in the world. Timber of course comes to help save him.

irradiatedsnake1af3.jpg

Sorry for the artifacts...couldn't play the DVD with the hardware layer turned off for a screenshot, so had to vidcap it first...

But, ultimately, it's this weird, blind guy who's not certain if he should have an Irish, Scottish, or pirate accent and looks like Grizzly Adams meets Santa Claus with too much mascara who saves the day. He scares the bear away, then takes Snake-eyes to his cabin, where a simply blanket of leaves and herbs completely takes care of all of Snake-eye's glowing radiation problems.

And now you know... :p

...and understand why the cartoon is considered silly.... Still, I don't mind some figure designs based on the cartoon versions. I also heard the RAM is one of the vehicles coming out, which is great since I realized that I always kept my old Rock'n'Roll on his motorcycle and that's what seems off about the new one just standing around.

P.S. A little off topic, but since I've commented on mute S.E., G.I.Joe silliness, and am in a posting pictures mood, here's a snippet from a recent Twisted Toyfare Theater (barely enough reason to pick up ToyFare... sometimes). Basically, Cobra Commander gets fired from Cobra for incompetence and while wandering the streets, asks for a sign for his new career and finds himself in front of a G.I.Joe recruiting poster. ("Hellsssss no!" he exclaims). He joins up, gets a new uniform and gets placed in a meeting next to Snake-eyes. When no one else is looking....

sevscchk8.jpg

...which finds the Commander in a sensitivity seminar.

Edited by Southpaw Samurai

Toyfare 2008 news is making me drool over the new 3 3/4 Joe toys .....

Love the VAMP, BAT trooper, and red wet suit Baroness!!!

The cartoon DVD/toy packs have piqued my interest .....

Thanks for the explanation Southpaw Samurai!!

Checked my local Wal-Mart & Target today, still no re-stock.

:ph34r:

Finally found an IG Destro! Well worth the wait, difficult to say he is the best in wave 5. Wave 5 is the best wave all around, and each figure is great. I was expecting double jointed knees on this Destro. Best 3-3/4" Destro figure made, and that goes for both vintage, new sculpt, and anniversary versions. However wave 5 has some solid figures all around, lets just say if you are impressed with the others, you'll like this figure. The working holster, scabbard, and cape are nice additions to the figure.

Man, if I knew how rare and high-priced pimp-IG destro was going to be then I would've picked up the exclusive at Comic Con last year. Is Torpedo part of Wave 5? I heard that Hasbro was going to do a Cobra Eel as a 2-pack with Torpedo in the future, has it been noted at Toy Fair?

Edited by baronv

Torpedo is Wave 6. And yes I heard there is a Eel vs Torpedo although I wish it was Wet-Suit. I have feeling Hasbro is milking molds.

Really as a comic pack or as something else? I thought Hasbro was going to discontinue the comic packs (at least for the time being) after wave 4?

I thought Hasbro was going to discontinue the comic packs (at least for the time being) after wave 4?

Where did you hear that from? There are more coming. I think most of the stuff coming out is being held back for the Joe con, which is earlier this year than last.

Also, the comic listings at TNI are most likely false. If you read the original post, the poster says he heard of the listing through his grandma who works at walmart and knows someone. Right....