will a japanese ps2 work in an american environment

xsjado

i am having lots of trouble finding a way to mod my ps2. rather than accidentally destroying my ps2 so that i can play all of the import games i just received (Macross, VFX2, ACE 2) i was thinking about getting a japanese ps2. anyone know if it will work with a US tv and with US outlets?

if not, can anyone recommend a mod chip installer or a place that sells reliable modded ps2's?

Thanks!

A japanese PS2 will work on american power and TVs.

Japan uses (basically) the same voltage and frequency on the AC, and the same TV standard and refresh as us(though they broadcast at different frequencies, that's only an issue for RF modulation).

With no problems at all. I have been importing video game systems from Japan for 20+ years (Wow that's scary), My Japanese Dreamcast and PS2 work like a charm, you should have no problems. As JBO stated, the voltage is nearly identicle and the machines are made to work within a range that covers both ours and theirs.

If you buy a game console of Japanese origin, remember they were never meant for use outside Japan. They all accept 100v current and it's safest to use a step down transformer. Most people don't bother with them and report no problems. I prefer to use one to extend the life of the console considering the investment and hassle to replace it.

Technically, Japan has two seperate voltage standards.

Kanto and the 'West' is 100 V at 50 Hz, whereas Kansai and 'East' Japan is 110 V at 60 Hz.

All should be ok for Canada and the USA (Canada is 120 V at 60 Hz.)

It should also be noted that the above numbers are nominal values, and that the equipment should be able to handle values outside of the nominal ones.

I've had no trouble running stuff from Canada here in Japan - though charge times are increased noticeably.

Going the opposite route, there generally isn't an increase in performance, but a big increase in heat. So take Halfan's advice, as well as checking the statistics on the unit (it may be in Japanese, but the statistical data is still in 0123456789 numbers followed by a V and/or Hz.) You may or may not need a transformer.

Though keep in mind that the oil used on the moving parts is most likely not designed for the riguers of your environment, and you may experience performance loss due to oil degredation much faster.

Will the Japanese PS2 play Japanese PS1 games? The answer to my question seems obvious, but I'd like to know if Japanese PS1 games (specifically VF-X1 and 2) can be played by simply loading the game discs into the PS2.

i called and verified that japanese ps1 games do play on a japanese ps2 because i had the same question.

I dont think you will need a step down transformer. if you look at a laptop power supply. they can handle a lot of power. you jsut gotta plug it in. Like this sony laptop infornt of me at the moment. the input can accetp 100-240V 50/60 hz.

So there are no worries. the powersupply will convert the power no problem. you jsut gotta physically fit it in the wall. and japanese originated products have no problems and vice versa.

Laptops run on DC power. Game consoles run on AC.

That black box that comes with the power cord is a transformer - from AC to DC, and changing the V, Hz and amps in the process.

The slimline PS2 comes with a brick, though I don't know the output.

Technically, all game consoles run on DC. AC tends to do bad things to microchips.

Modern ones just have an internal power supply instead of the classical brick(in most cases). I think it's because deriving multiple voltages straight from the original AC is easier than deriving them from a single DC voltage. The original PlayStation, for example, has 3 different DC voltages coming off of it's power supply.

The oddest ones were the NES and Intellivision 2, which both had external bricks outputting AC(9V on the NES, 11-ish on the INTV2).

But in both cases the first stage once the power entered the system was a rectifier to covert it to DC. The system doesn't actually use AC for anything.

But using a laptop power supply for a PS2 slim is questionable. They probably don't have matching voltages, and even if they did the plugs aren't likely to match.

I have a question myself, do japanese ps2 games work on american ps3's cause I thought I heard something of that nature? If they do I am definately getting a ps3 (at some point at time in the near future).

No.

The Ps3 is region-free, but ONLY on PS3 games. PS1 and PS2 games are still region-locked.

I have a PS1, and it has a direct line to the wall socket, and "AC in" written where the wire connects to the back of the console. No brick, or brick like object along the wire. Nor are there any technical blurbs on the rear or underside of the PS1 stating what it can or cannot absorb (probably on the long gone packaging box.)

I do not know about the inner workings of the console or even if it has a power converter inside of it, though I am in agreement that fluctuating power isn't a good thing for microchips in general.

Nevertheless, the point was that without some type of power converter or transformer, one runs the console at ones own risk. Especially if the console was designed to run in a 100 to 110 V at 50 to 60 Htz environment, and one plugs it into a 240 V AC supply. This point being made to specifically counter the implications in Solscud's post - which I think we are in agreement about.

I have a PS1, and it has a direct line to the wall socket, and "AC in" written where the wire connects to the back of the console. No brick, or brick like object along the wire. Nor are there any technical blurbs on the rear or underside of the PS1 stating what it can or cannot absorb (probably on the long gone packaging box.)

*digs out manual*

Mine says 120V, 60Hz.

Given how dirty AC is, I'd give it a good bit of variance.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn it can take 120VDC, but that's just a suspicion.

I do not know about the inner workings of the console or even if it has a power converter inside of it, though I am in agreement that fluctuating power isn't a good thing for microchips in general.

I'm unfortunately familiar with mine's innards. My power supply board seems to be acting up(random reboots), and I can't find a decent repair guide.

I found a pinout, but it didn't do a lot except torpedo my plans to just replace the whole thing with a single brick(I'm odd, but not odd enough to think running PS1 games on a PS1 is worth hooking 3 bricks into it).

Nevertheless, the point was that without some type of power converter or transformer, one runs the console at ones own risk. Especially if the console was designed to run in a 100 to 110 V at 50 to 60 Htz environment, and one plugs it into a 240 V AC supply. This point being made to specifically counter the implications in Solscud's post - which I think we are in agreement about.

Yeah... I'm sure I had a point with the rambling last night, but I can't really figure out what it was anymore.

I think it was that the PS2 slim had an external brick, and then I went off on a tangent.

Ooooh... I just remembered... some laptop chargers output AC and leave the rectification to the computer.

That'd be a good way to kill a system, even if he did match voltages.

Yes you can.

Dejr8bud, Do you know if you still have to keep memory cards seperate for your PS2J and PS2US?

I have a first gen PS2japan and if you put a memory card formated for the PS2Japan in an American PS2 it shows up as unreadable in the American PS2, something to do with memory card formatting and the DVD software on the 1st Gen PS2.

Can you swap a memory card with save data back and forth between and US and JP PS2 japan with later revision of the PS2?

Hmm wierd. I have an original US launch PS2(with updated DVD player drivers) and somewhat newer JP PS2(SCPH 50001 Pearl White) and I never had any problem with memory cards. I've had cards with both JP and US saves on them and either PS2 read the card just fine. I check again to make sure.

Hmm wierd. I have an original US launch PS2(with updated DVD player drivers) and somewhat newer JP PS2(SCPH 50001 Pearl White) and I never had any problem with memory cards. I've had cards with both JP and US saves on them and either PS2 read the card just fine. I check again to make sure.

I imported a PS2 from japan right after their initial release, and if I remember correctly the system stored the DVD drivers on the memory card, when i put a memory card from that system into my US PS2 it give me an error message. I jsut got a white flip top PS2 from japan a few months ago and I haven't bothered to try swapping memory cards around again since i have a card dedicated to my japanese games. I'll try to remember to give it a try tonight.

Edited by Ghadrack

i finally received my japanese ps2. the power supply says:

8.5V AC Adaptor

Input 100-240V~1.5A 50/60Hz

Output 8.5V

Knowing absolutely nothing about electricity... what kind of transformer would i need? a link to one would be great for a point of reference.

thanks!

only 2 hours until i get to play the PS2 DYRL :D

• 3 weeks later...