There was a nice bootleg DVD set released a few years back with Chinese/English subtitles. The bad part is it came out just when the bootleggers stopped doing 80s anime, so for Layzner they only did the first 24 episodes or so (up to the end of the first story arc) and left the rest.

Layzner was also one of two series (the other being Giant Gorg) that Bandai US actually once said they'd release before quietly forgetting about them, blaming bad masters. Odd that they never thought to check those masters first...

I heard this show was about aliens invading earth, and the main mecha is one of the weapons the aliens use. The hero is half human and takes the layzner to help defend earth or something. I think thats what this show is about. The mecha look great though. :)

Many people consider SPT Layzner to be the greatest of all the 80's mech shows.

Even today it's considered way ahead of it's time.

Shame Bandai's blue tinted masters got in the way of their release, blame Sunrise for blocking any hope of a replacement for the damaged masters.

EDIT - here is a review of SPT Layzner box set 1 over at animeondvd

Edited by Area88

Many people consider SPT Layzner to be the greatest of all the 80's mech shows.

Even today it's considered way ahead of it's time.

Shame Bandai's blue tinted masters got in the way of their release, blame Sunrise for blocking any hope of a replacement for the damaged masters.

EDIT - here is a review of SPT Layzner box set 1 over at animeondvd

I was looking at this on Youtube a few months ago when the current merchandise flood started and I was pretty interested then but those reviews have just cinched it. I have GOT to see this.. somehow. :(

Does anyone have any info on this bootleg set?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

It's pretty damn expensive for a bl so I e-mailed teh seller to ask how many episodes there was in total and he replied with "this dvd only have 1-3 episodes"

Now he either confused episodes with discs or this is just the OVA's, which would suck hard.

Anyone know? :)

Yeh the seller who is obviously from Hong Kong obviously doesn't understand English too well.

That bootleg set contains episodes 1-24 compressed over 3 discs and is a rip of the Japanese dvds.

As with all HK bootlegs, the subtitle translations are practically useless and the video quality suffer from extreme compression.

You used to be able to get the sets on Ebay for around $20, shame the seller is trying to rip people off with inflated prices, probaly because its out of print.

EDIT - Here is a cheaper price for the set

That bootleg set contains those first 24 eps as Area88 said. As recall (it was admittedly a while ago), the compression artifacts weren't overly distracting, but the subs could definitely have been better. They were formatted and timed decently enough, but the actual translations left much to be desired. I think Eiji becomes Alex for example. Regardless, despite the average quality of it all, it would have been nice if those old Taiwan bootleggers had actually finished the show!

However, looking at it another way, unless someone improbably puts up some nice fully translated scripts of the entire series on the internet (although with ScriptClub still being down that would be a bit of a challenge), you're probably not going to be seeing even the first arc of the series with any reasonable idea of what's going on.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...

I have the Original Layzner SPEC and I HIGHLY recommend it. Fantastic piece:

post-8486-0-93927600-1401818209_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-57518400-1401818222_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-22729100-1401818233_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-51367400-1401818266_thumb.jpg

Here's a used one with free shipping at a good price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Comet-SPT-Layzner-XS-02-Tamashii-Spec-Layzner-Figure-Bandai-Japan-USED-/261456477085?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item3ce0053b9d

I will not be getting the new Mk II as I feel the design and transformation is forced and I can be content with the one I have ( even though I LOVE the SPEC line )

But they are supposed to be working on a Zakaal and I will snatch that up right away if it comes to life . . .

post-8486-0-54717100-1401818409_thumb.jpg

Oh - and Layzner IS great . . .

post-8486-0-82297800-1401818443_thumb.jpg

http://www.nippon-yasan.com/figurines-others/7232-tamashii-spec-layzner-mark-ii-limited-edition.html

PO is up btw.

Can't decide if I want 1 or 2. It looks awesome :D

Big in Japan and Angolz both have it up too, but Angolz is like 35 dollars higher haha.

Edited by Gakken85

Found a cool picture.

I just read up on the show and started watching the OVA's. I didn't realize it's by the same guy who did votoms!

Man this would make a great hollywood remake.

I'd buy that original SPEC but it's missing the pilot and dirty.

tumblr_n6ttqpGlsI1qzt40qo1_500.jpg

Edited by Gakken85

Layzner is great - but give me a chest cockpit any day over a 'way-out-in-the-open' green bubble target on top. Not sure the pilot would ever last past 1 battle.

I picked up a 1/48th MG kit and WF Upgrade Parts for distant future assembly.

Hope I can do half as well as the build shown here:

post-8486-0-37507800-1402580102_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-41359500-1402580113_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-03901300-1402580121_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-91460900-1402580128_thumb.jpg