Ghost in the Shell Live Action - March 31, 2017

Mechinyun

Looks good to me as well.  I just hope that they didn't dumb this movie down too much.  GITS has always been the "smarter" anime to me, and seeing Scarlett in this movie is not a good sign.  Don't get me wrong, I adore Scarlett J; but to me she's more of a T&A actor than a serious one. 

See what happens when you get older?

i don't want to sound like Debbie Downer here, but this new trailer worries me a tad. The major was never some superhero with amnesia. It was never that simple with her. It was more complex, yet a remarkably subdued and angst free questioning of who she was and how the interplay between her body and ghost developed. I hope they just chose too highlights the action bits in the trailer and that they don't dumb GITS down too much.

8 minutes ago, Marzan said:

i don't want to sound like Debbie Downer here, but this new trailer worries me a tad. The major was never some superhero with amnesia. It was never that simple with her. It was more complex, yet a remarkably subdued and angst free questioning of who she was and how the interplay between her body and ghost developed. I hope they just chose too highlights the action bits in the trailer and that they don't dumb GITS down too much.

I was about to say the same thing. From the animated movie, they never played with an amnesic protagonist. There were no lapses in her memory. The questions this series had was "What does it mean to be human if you can replace parts of your body?", "What is a ghost?". To me, that's what the animated movie tried to address. No a "they're hiding something from you."-conspiracy.

Love the trailer! Attache Case Machine Guns! So epic. ^_^

Edit: I just had a small talk with some colleagues here at work. And we were agree that if this is still early 2000 movie, for westerner cast, we would love to have Carrie Ann Moss instead. She nailed that anime, curvaceous, masculine look over Matrix movies. Can't go wrong with her. ;)

Edited by no3Ljm

When I saw the movie poster of this I was shocked, what shock me more was that they casted Scarlett Johansson the role as Motoko Kusanagi. It had me a little worried tha the role of Mooko should have been cast to a well known asian actress in hollywood Ming-Na exculded cause she's in her 40's. And then I saw the trailer on TV I think it was when I was watching Agents of Shield, and she was doing the scenes that were featured in the animated movie and manga, which i found facinating, and I must say that hair looks good on Scarlett, and that body suit that makers invisible.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 10:16 PM, Big s said:

There was some talk recently about a Hollywood Attack on Titan film. At least most of the characters are already white and can avoid the controversy.

Who the hell are you kidding? This is the internet, idiots will complain about not having asian actors just because AoT is an anime from Japan regardless of what their races are in the actual show.

Another thing, the keyword there in my previous paragraph is "asian actors". SJW's clamoring for more asians don't realize that asian does not equal Japanese and their flavor of the month Chinese, Korean, or Vietnamese actor playing a Japanese role is more likely to offend Japanese people that a white person in that role. That was proven with Memoirs of a Geisha.

Finally where was the stinkfest for casting Tom Cruise in Edge of Tomorrow? Did such a drastic name change from All You Need Is Kill turn off all the weeaboos and SJW's whine dectectors? 

Most people don't really know about All You Need Is Kill. And most people didn't see Edge of Tomorrow because they got confused with the title and saw Fault in our Stars instead. 

Supposedly that's why they changed the title to Live Die Repeat when it was released on video.

I think part of the reason AYNIK and EoT didn't get much flak (though I seem to recall they did get some, just not much) is because EoT isn't straight-up translating the same story to screen. It's an extremely loose adaptation of the original light novel, at least according to people in the know, with mainly just the core conceit making the transition (ie time-traveling aliens attack, hero gets time-travel abilities). Even the mecha were drastically altered into those exposed power suits in order to show the actors.

The fact that AYNIK isn't anywhere near as popular as Ghost in the Shell certainly helped, too.

Anyway. Trailer looks fine, even if it still doesn't inspire me to go see the movie. Hope everybody who does enjoys it.

1 hour ago, seti88 said:

half expecting kaneda and gang riding down @2:12 after the cops came :D.....

march cant come fast enough!

Careful.....Hollywood was at one time considering doing a live action Akira, set in New York and starring Leonardo DeCaprio or something like that.....

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:34 AM, Marzan said:

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:07 PM, azrael said:

I was about to say the same thing. From the animated movie, they never played with an amnesic protagonist. There were no lapses in her memory. The questions this series had was "What does it mean to be human if you can replace parts of your body?", "What is a ghost?". To me, that's what the animated movie tried to address. No a "they're hiding something from you."-conspiracy.

That is my worry as well, however if you've seen the Arise series and the following movie they kind of did the "they're hiding something from you". Even Mokoto's character design was changed to be closer to SJH. It's like in Mavel's Ultimate series where the characters were drawn eeriely close to thier real world counter-parts in the MCU.

I'm really hoping this is just a rehash of the '95 movie, the story wasn't that bad if a little over the head of the average movie go'er.

On 2/22/2017 at 1:24 PM, Focslain said:

I'm really hoping this is just a rehash of the '95 movie, the story wasn't that bad if a little over the head of the average movie go'er.

Funny, because that is what I was most afraid of for quite a while, especially when the shot-for-shot recreations of the "original" animated movie scenes were released as teasers. Now it looks like they're doing their own thing with liberal homages to the first adaptation, which is far better than simply copying someone else's work wholesale.

It still looks like they're Doing It Wrong, but at least now it looks like they are making different mistakes than the crew of '95.

Except for the distinct lack of fuchikoma. They seem to be propagating that grievous mistake forward unrepentantly.

On an unrelated note, I am taking bets for how many younguns are gonna see the think tank and accuse it of being a shameless Metal Gear ripoff.

On 3/2/2017 at 4:40 AM, electric indigo said:

They robocop'd the Major...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. This sounds a lot like Robocop now, instead of a more societal practice.

Chris

So, I was discussing this with some friends earlier, and I'm just incredibly baffled that they would rename her...

First.. they're hit with the whole initial whitewashing claims, due to their casting choice for the Major... which in reality, wasn't an issue in the first place, because being entirely cybernetic, the Major could have been cast as anyone from Eugene Levy to Lucy Liu to James Earl Jones, and it could have fit in the canon, no matter how goofy it was.  The name was never related to her race, it was a pseudonym picked to sound cool, and happened to be Japanese because she lived in Japan.  Best cross-cultural comparison I heard from western cultural references was that she basically named herself "Jane Excalibur."

So, now that everyone seemed to finally get over the casting issue, they went and pulled their heads even further up their own rectums, renaming her to some completely unrelated thing that has no cultural significance at all, and just giving credence to all of the originally nonsensical complaints... like seriously, wtf??

33 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

So, I was discussing this with some friends earlier, and I'm just incredibly baffled that they would rename her...

First.. they're hit with the whole initial whitewashing claims, due to their casting choice for the Major... which in reality, wasn't an issue in the first place, because being entirely cybernetic, the Major could have been cast as anyone from Eugene Levy to Lucy Liu to James Earl Jones, and it could have fit in the canon, no matter how goofy it was.  The name was never related to her race, it was a pseudonym picked to sound cool, and happened to be Japanese because she lived in Japan.  Best cross-cultural comparison I heard from western cultural references was that she basically named herself "Jane Excalibur."

So, now that everyone seemed to finally get over the casting issue, they went and pulled their heads even further up their own rectums, renaming her to some completely unrelated thing that has no cultural significance at all, and just giving credence to all of the originally nonsensical complaints... like seriously, wtf??

It's almost like whitewashing was an issue all along despite how much you claim otherwise, and Hollywood, being Hollywood, fumbled that ball every step of the way, as they're wont to do.

...okay, that's petty. (True, I think, but also petty.) Sorry.

But I mean, setting aside the whitewashing controversy, does it matter that her name has changed to something culturally insignificant? I'd have thought you'd be more disappointed, generally speaking, that the story seems to have been changed from... whatever GitS is, something philosophical... to ScarJo Does Robocop.

And it certainly looks like, once you remove all the superficial trappings, that's exactly what this movie is shaping up to be. Those dumb lines that get repeated in every single clip ring a whole lot of alarm bells for me. Another generic conspiracy plot? "You are the first of your kind"? "They created me, but they don't own me." C'mon. That can't be the actual story of GitS, can it? I thought it was supposed to be about a society where literally everybody is in some way part machine and thus have unique ethical questions that they must confront? Or at least something more engaging than "Grr I'm not your corporate puppet bang bang."

I guess I mostly don't really care either way? I just feel like the people in charge are like.. "Phew.. we're past the casting issues.. now, what else can we do to simultaneously distance ourselves from the original, and piss off the fanbase?"

Like.. I wish people would decide whether they want to make something for the fans, or something original.  Pick one, it's not hard.  Either do your best to stick to source material, or come up with something entirely your own. 

Time and time again, people keep getting this bright idea to try and make things appeal to a wider audience, and they fall flat on their face, because they don't do anything significant to draw in new fans, while simultaneously pissing off the established fanbase they think they can count on.  I'd rather see something new and original than have someone's original plot trying to hitch a ride on an established story/universe that has to be twisted around to fit.

Frankly though, I think the name change sucks.  Cultural significance aside, you replaced someone who named themselves after a sword, with something that sounds like they could work in accounting.  Maybe they're going to work the pseudonym into the movie at some point?  I can only hope.

Edited by Chronocidal