Ghost in the Shell Live Action - March 31, 2017

Mechinyun

"Anime News Network reports that Production I.G, the studio that produced all of Ghost in the Shell's adaptations into anime (the two movies and the three Stand Alone Complex works) has received permission to develop a Hollywood adaptation of the Masamume Shirow created cyborg sci-fi. A new contract with rights holder Kodansha allows Production I.G. to represent the creators and negotiate distribution of a live action film."

Man I pray it will be good! ph34r.gif

Alright, I propose we send out strike squads to make sure that Uwe Boll, Michael Bay and their like come nowhere NEAR this project...

Alright, I propose we send out strike squads to make sure that Uwe Boll, Michael Bay and their like come nowhere NEAR this project...

Good idea!!! :D

Well, since GiTS is one of the most popular anime in the US, i don't think they would be willing to take as many 'liberties' with it as most videogame movies out there (not many anime-turned-live action movies out there).

Considering it could be a potential huge blockbuster, i doubt Uwe Boll would be able to get it. If whoever gets the movie rights wants to conserve the depth of the source material, i doubt they would get Bay (he's pretty much 'nice explosion guy')

Let's be realistic - there aren't many actresses who who want to wear the skimpy outfits that the manga and anime major tends to wear. Of those actresses who won't mind wearing those fashions... do we want to see them in it? And will they do a good major? Doubtful.

I for one hope that there are some modifications to the base franchise when it goes live action.

Of course what I want the most is a good director. Is Ridly Scott available?

Not true, a japanese production would only suck more. For proof, I present princess blade

I am hoping it is good, but this is one I am not sure if hollywood could do well.

It depends on the cast. Angelina Jolie for the Major would work for me :p

Spielberg is the only director I can think of that portrays the future well enough to suit me.

Edited by Roy's Blues

Anime should remain anime, no point in ruining a good franchise. Though i think Grace Park might make a good major, since the major is Japanese might as well get someone that looks the part.

the biggest problem I see this facing is finding a good director (Ridley Scott would be great, especially if Shirow was right alongside). And, finding an appropriate actress to play the major. Most of the rest of the cast would be fairly easy, Bato (A Ron Pearlman type, heck even the Rock might be good in that part). But, the Major is real kicker, will she wear the super tight skin painted outfits, probably not, they just aren't practical, but I doubt that they will be baggy clothes either. The actress would definitely have to be asian, and preferably Japanesse, I just can't think of any young enough that really have the look. My personnal first choice, based on acting skill and on screen fighting ability is probably getting too old to play the part, Michelle Yeoh.

But, the Major is real kicker, will she wear the super tight skin painted outfits, probably not, they just aren't practical, but I doubt that they will be baggy clothes either.

The notion of Kusanagi in skintight/skimpy outfits really only comes from the original movie, where they inexplicably gave her that body stocking to wear with her optic camo, and to a lesser extent the first season of Stand Alone Complex where she had that one-piece swimsuit thingy with the leather jacket. The funky grey combat suits seen in SAC would be much more realistic, and less exploitative.

But I'm getting ahead of myself here. So far, the only thing this project has going for it is that the staff of Production IG are involved. Even with them attached, this project has a looooong way to go before it'll be anything but another looming mishandling of a franchise.

So who would be the ideal cast, personnally I don't like any of the actresses put forward to play the major.

Alba: blaw she sucks, and isn't that attactive IMHO

Lucy Liu: No way, for obvious reasons

Grace Park: Too small, not fit enough, not really tough enough looking either

Michelle Yeoh: Only problem, IMHO, too old, otherwise I think she has the chops, skills and attitude to play the Major.

Bato: Pretty much any big (size, not ego) american action hero, Ron Perlman, the Rock, etc...

The Chief: Ok the wild hair may have to go, but pretty much any distinguished older actor could pull it off.

Togusa: James Franko (ok yes I know he is white, but I think he looks alot like Togusa, and could pull it off)

Thats all the main characters I can think of off the top of my head.

The notion of Kusanagi in skintight/skimpy outfits really only comes from the original movie, where they inexplicably gave her that body stocking to wear with her optic camo, and to a lesser extent the first season of Stand Alone Complex where she had that one-piece swimsuit thingy with the leather jacket. The funky grey combat suits seen in SAC would be much more realistic, and less exploitative.

But I'm getting ahead of myself here. So far, the only thing this project has going for it is that the staff of Production IG are involved. Even with them attached, this project has a looooong way to go before it'll be anything but another looming mishandling of a franchise.

For the more regular scenes in the movie, she wore pants, shirt and jacket. Nothing revealing. I would say form-fitting would be more appropriate than revealing clothing...

I think we are getting ahead of ourselves here. The meat of the article says that Production I.G. now has the rights to represent Kodansha and Masamune in any live-action production of the series. Should they find a studio, then they need a screenplay. Then a director. Then actors. Blah blah blah. Look at Evangelion's live-action movie. All we see is just concept art from WETA. And the last word out of that was back in 2005...when more sketches were put out.

Anime should remain anime, no point in ruining a good franchise. Though i think Grace Park might make a good major, since the major is Japanese might as well get someone that looks the part.

My thoughts exactly. Most anime doesn't lend itself to "adaptation", Shirow's stuff especially (as if the original medium wasn't good enough? they want to "appeal" to a wider audience? wtf???).

We already had GitS on the big sreeen. Twice. I can't fathom how this is going to add anything worthwhile. I really hope I'm proven wrong, but I can't see anyone in Hollywood doing this justice, much less not butchering the property outright.

Baaahhh I sound just like one of the fanboys on AICN ("Luucaass raped my childhood, duuude"), but crapola this makes me shudder.

Edited by Batou

Well... as the wife (someone who could care less about anime in general and generally gets any anime related news from me) read about this on Mixi and told me - (within 24 hours of the news breaking here), the live action version is "big" news in Japan.

That Kelly Hu image (black leather) definitely has a Major expression going on there.

If a live movie is made, you can bet they would make it exploitative to appeal to male audiences or teenage males, you just have to look at the tomb raider movies. If that was to be realistic, I think Lara would be wearing a little more clothing.

Kelley Hu

Ron Perlman

Effects by weta/ILM based on the original designs and a story by the original creator.

Directed by Ridley Scott / David Fincher

Throw in Gary Oldman and Chow yun Fat in some role or another just cause they rock

We have a winner

Any other thoughts for the rest of the cast?

Edited by Mechinyun

That's a rather silly opinion considering that it didn't start out as an anime either.

Well manga translates to animation much better, so once adapted to animation it should stay that way. Theres no reason to try and take it further with a live action movie. So in a way, anime should remain anime once adapted from manga. :wacko:

That's silly, anything can be translated to any medium if the story is told correctly. besides, I love seeing photo realistic mechs. Like I said, more often than not it's gonna be screwed up, but I'm always gonna look for that gem that I end up loving. It think we're overdue for live action giant robot movies.

Look at the first Pirates Of The Carribean, it had going against it... based on a ride, movie about pirates, soundtrack by Hans Zimmer... it should have been a disaster, but what we got was one of the best movies in a long time with a giant icon of a character that emerges, like no other characters have in a long time.

Transformers may look like crap to me, but that doesnt mean I never believed that it could somehow translated well to the big screen as a live action. Anything's possible.

• azrael changed the title to Ghost in the Shell Live Action - March 31, 2017