Ghost in the Shell Live Action - March 31, 2017

Mechinyun

On 7/25/2017 at 2:27 PM, Chronocidal said:

So, just out of curiosity, is the live action movie similar enough in content and dialogue that you could recut the footage and build a full dub in both Japanese and English using audio clips of the original movies/series?

Not that I think it would be anywhere near worth the effort, and would probably be pushing the limits of polishing a turd as an analogy.  I just think it would be interesting to see if fans of the original material could make something worthwhile out of the footage.

You could out of certain scenes but it wouldn't be a complete movie. And I don't know why someone would want to do it anyway. The original movie is far better with those scenes. It's kind of like how someone made Terminator 2 using the GTA engine. It's possible but what's the point?

On 7/25/2017 at 2:40 PM, no3Ljm said:

And how come Scarlett's walking pattern looks awkward. Androids doesn't walk like how she walks in the movie. However I do like all the bits that pays homage to what was done on the animes. ;)

I assumed it was supposed to be a determined and driven sort of walk. But a person can walk with purpose and not seemingly walk almost at an angle all the time. Or at least during those casual street walking scenes where it was so apparent.

I think the walk was devised as a reflection of her immature and sexually under-defined state of mind. It is a walk of determination, but in a manner a 10 year old boy would choose, and it is deliberately un-feminine. Also note how she tilts her head in some scenes, like a permanent dispute towards reality.

On 7/29/2017 at 1:45 AM, ErikElvis said:

I'm not sure what the the hate was about. Just watched it and thought it was pretty good. 

I thought it was just fine so long as you went into it understanding that a westernized, cleaned up version of the themes and plot of Ghost in the Shell was inevitable and they'd never just do a straight 1:1 transfer of them into a movie.

Nice video, I will go through his other stuff.

Next time we really should not get our hopes up when it comes to adaptations (I was also disappointed a little with Valerian). With just the director alone, it is obvious that Mamoru Oshii >>>>>> Rupert Sanders. I hope nobody gives Rupert Sanders another chance to ruin another property. (But it's Hollywood, he probably has the connections to direct another day...)

Finally caught up on GITS. As a long time fan, I expected the worst; but despite its flaws, I actually thought it was well made and respectful of Oshii's vision. Obviously it had nothing to do with the manga.

Main flaw for me was that damned body suit. Just doesnt look right and ruined all the main action scenes. Either use a different actress or get a different costume suitable for Johansen.

Otherwise, Ruper Sanders took it very seriously. I would add that his Snow White and the Huntsman was a fantastic movie and an equally serious effort, with a huge Miyazaki homage near the end (for those who care).

I would like to see GITS redone as an anime, but based on the manga style, rather than Oshii's realistic style. It would be a totally different and welcome experience.

Edited by arbit

On 8/4/2017 at 6:02 AM, hachi said:

Nice video, I will go through his other stuff.

Next time we really should not get our hopes up when it comes to adaptations (I was also disappointed a little with Valerian). With just the director alone, it is obvious that Mamoru Oshii >>>>>> Rupert Sanders. I hope nobody gives Rupert Sanders another chance to ruin another property. (But it's Hollywood, he probably has the connections to direct another day...)

I didn't get my hopes up. But I didn't expect what we got either. Someone on another anime forum compared it to them deciding to change the origin and backstory of Batman. And then coming up with all kinds of reasons (excuses) as to why it's ok.

• 5 months later...

Weta-level quality right there. Shame the rest of the filmmakers didn't put this amount of effort into the movie.

EDIT:

What's the little blemish on the bottom right corner of the first two pics? Just a scuff on the cloth? Stray piece of plastic film?

(Also you tagged "Motoko Kusanagi" wrong.)

Edited by kajnrig

• 6 months later...

As if the movie adaption was not enough, there's a comic anthology by western artists that's coming in September.

https://kodanshacomics.com/series/ghost-in-the-shell-global-neural-network/

However, one of the artists makes a really good Shirow impression (minus Shirow's occasional sloppiness)

https://www.instagram.com/musashinoelegy/

On 8/4/2018 at 5:41 AM, electric indigo said:

As if the movie adaption was not enough, there's a comic anthology by western artists that's coming in September.

However, one of the artists makes a really good Shirow impression (minus Shirow's occasional sloppiness)

I haven't been impressed by western adaptations of Japanese manga/anime. Although I think it all depends on the writer/director. I haven't even bought the Japanese novelizations. So I'm interested only out of curiousity. Perhaps I'll bite if they do something like this Humble Bundle in the future.

On 8/3/2018 at 4:41 PM, electric indigo said:

I put that in the topic here.

There was a preview for Free Comic Book Day a while ago.