Ghost in the Shell Live Action - March 31, 2017

Mechinyun

Far better than I ever thought it would be, but then again they're basically making a live action version of the '95 film with an extra here or there, judging from the teasers. That's a good start. Looks like the anime's opening cyborg creation sequence is going to be realized for this...it's still one of my favorite scenes in cinema, lovely. I'm hoping they'll sneak some of Kenji Kawai's original music in there somewhere, just to give it that atmosphere.

That's the thing about GitS. It's had so many adaptions and different takes on the manga's story (movie, SAC, SAC: SSS, Arise...) and they've all contributed to the overall story, it's hard to tell where to draw the inspiration from.

For me, it has to have copious amounts of Unresolved Sexual Tension between the Major and Batou. That is non-negotiable.

The way they put this trailer together...

-She's the 1st of her kind? Eh? In the manga, movie, SAC, and Arise, cybernetics and prosthetics are fairly common. The Major was a rarity being a full cybernetic body (not a prototype for lack of a better word). They made a point about the Chief and Togusa the only 2 main PS-S9 members without a huge amount of cybernetics. Hearing that line was a "Huh?"-moment. The Major is suppose to have been a full cyborg since she was a child. It doesn't sound that way here???

-It sounds she's more special than the other adaptations made her. The other adaptations made her unique but she wasn't really really special. I don't get that feeling here.

I could be wrong, but the way this trailer is selling things is something I'm not buying. I can't put my finger on it but I'm not feelin' it.

I don't recall which adaptation played it this way (might have been Arise) but I was under the impression that she was actually adapted into a cybernetic body while still in a fetal stage.. how early I don't know, but I don't believe she had been born, being rescued from a mother-to-be killed in a car accident.

In that sense, she may be the first of her kind as a person who has never had a natural body at all, existing only as a cybernetic organism.

I feel like the "history" bit may be a red herring though, unless they're referring to the sorts of things shown in Arise, before she officially joined Section 9. Really, the idea of her being put into a cybernetic body from birth feels to me like it feeds directly into the line about her life being "stolen."

Edited by Chronocidal

Ghost without Bassets or Fuchikomas (unless they plan to surprise manga fans).

That leaves me with one question: Do androids dream of electric nipples?

MY Ghost doesn't have bassets! Though a cyborg basset hound assassin would be pretty wicked.

And yeah, why doesn't The Major's freshly-minted body have any nipples? It is WEIRD.

That's the thing about GitS. It's had so many adaptions and different takes on the manga's story (movie, SAC, SAC: SSS, Arise...) and they've all contributed to the overall story, it's hard to tell where to draw the inspiration from.

True dat.

For me, it has to have copious amounts of Unresolved Sexual Tension between the Major and Batou. That is non-negotiable.

WORD!

It looks like they are drawing from most of it, and since all of the versions of GITS are slightly different.......well..... It's actually a lot like Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy in that way. I think in the blurb for the first Dirk Gently novel it described Douglas Adams as being the "author of all of the different and wildly conflicting versions of HHGTTG".

That's ok though.

I predict that this will possibly be more of an "origin" story. It is Hollywood, and we know how much they like them. I also predict that there will be shitloads more exposition than any other version of GITS. Hollywood, once again.

I don't think that this movie should have to be a slave to the previous versions of the story, that would suck. There is nothing wrong with it following it's own path. There's nothing wrong with being surprised.

I predict that this will possibly be more of an "origin" story. It is Hollywood, and we know how much they like them. I also predict that there will be shitloads more exposition than any other version of GITS. Hollywood, once again.

I kind of hope it is an origin story handled like the new Star movies.

"Here's our characters, here they are again, and now it is the present and they are doing what you came here to see them do."

I don't think that this movie should have to be a slave to the previous versions of the story, that would suck. There is nothing wrong with it following it's own path. There's nothing wrong with being surprised.

Don't mind me, I just have sour grapes.

In seriousness, I do feel adaptations need to do their own thing, but at the same time I feel they should carefully consider where they step off the path and how far they they detour.

I'm really just hoping this doesn't draw as much from the old movie as it appears to, because I don't like the old movie.

I do like that she calls herself "Major" like it is a name. Not even "The Major", just "This is Major."

I'm not comfortable with the implication that she has backstory that makes her a uniquely special individual.

Actually, it seems like they are simplifying the whole Puppetmaster story by making the major into the puppetmaster from the start.

(I note again that I've never watched Stand-Alone Complex or Arise, so I don't know if this backstory comes from one of the newer ones.)

Edited by JB0

The trailer made me realize something: I remember absolutely nothing of the plot from the original GitS movie. I actually don't remember much from SAC either. I've also never seen Arise.

in fact the last thing GitS I've watched was the SAC movie and I can't even remember what that one was called. :p

I agree with Az...I never got the feeling watching the original movie or SAC that the Major was "lost" or being used/manipulated the way it seemed like it was being implied in this trailer.

Chris

I agree with Az...I never got the feeling watching the original movie or SAC that the Major was "lost" or being used/manipulated the way it seemed like it was being implied in this trailer.

Chris

The first movie had her being mopey and philosophical a lot, questioning the nature of life and such. I'd say she was portrayed as lost, but not so explicitly.

It is, in fact, the thing that struck me most strongly about the movie, how they adapted a badass into a whiny ball of angst.