Help with paintball ballistics.

orguss01

Hey guys IM going to chop one of these barrels down to make a CQ barrel, so i can use a suppressor and not have my barrel stick out two feet..the other barrel will remain my sniping barrel.. :ph34r:

ONe barrel has a nice curved lip......

while the other has a slight bevel. It goes straight then flairs out to like 45deg., then a curved lip.

THE question is which barrel to cut.???

The barrel i am going to keep intact is going to be the quieter and most accurate of the two., or a balance of the two ..

I am going to include pics incase it helps to visualize what i am describing..

I will post this at a couple PB sites to see what they say but i know MW has a few smart guys on board, engineers, race car enthusiasts, ballistics experts and what not, so i wanted to see what you guys come up with.

Thanks guys..

PICS NOT LOADING. WILL UPDATE LATER..(9pm)

Edited by orguss01

Personally, I would avoid chopping barrels altogether. Adding a suppressor in paintball isn't actually such a hot idea, either.

Paintball markers aren't really THAT loud, and any well ventilated barrel, especially those incorporating spiral rifling, are going to be inherently quiet anyhow (geez, remember the days when Automags came with this crappy Crown Point barrels with the diamind cut muzzle breaks? Every time you took a shot, the things would make this damned loud "TING!").

If you really, really want to do it, I'd suggest springing for a new, shorter barrel to begin with and go from there. I've seen more barrels get screwed by "user-improvement" than I have seen successful ones.

The gun is a old pumpm gun(tasO), no riffling, and yes it is loud, compared to these autos these "kid" are using now days, plus they dont make short barrels for these guys, i ws lucky to find a few barrels, one long, one medium and another long one to chop.

Good advise though, if i had my way i would totally buy a barrel rather than chop..

I am going to test them both for accuracy and dB once the weather warms up..

C02 hates cold weather but just tryin to reason it out first..

post-698-1169114598_thumb.jpg

post-698-1169114706_thumb.jpg

Edited by orguss01

The gun is a old pumpm gun(tasO), no riffling, and yes it is loud, compared to these autos these "kid" are using now days, plus they dont make short barrels for these guys, i ws lucky to find a few barrels, one long, one medium and another long one to chop.

Good advise though, if i had my way i would totally buy a barrel rather than chop..

I am going to test them both for accuracy and dB once the weather warms up..

C02 hates cold weather but just tryin to reason it out first..

You should be able to get a new barrel machined at a shop or depending on how old it is, you might get away with using a Spyder barrel with that.

Otherwise I would suggest that if you get it cut, do it at a machine shop to make sure its even and that they to polish it and de-burr the inside.

bah go with airsoft. Real looking guns. more fun. more attachements and modifications. haha. to each their own.

I hear ya Sol ....been thinking about it...but

If im gonna be getting hit with balls(not common) i want them to be big balls so i can feel it..'n' i want the other guys to feel the pain of getting hit with my balls. They make a much better splatter then AS aswell. :wacko:B))

haha, i made a silencer/suppressor for my paintball gun at one point, let me tell ya, it doesn't work for she-ott!

while it might muffle the sound a bit, you forget that its CO2 powered which leaves a giant ass cloud of smoke which ain't that hard to spot in the middle of the woods/paintball field. unless you're using something that won't leave a giant ass cloud of smoke, its pointless and you'll be spotted like you're rocking a orange vest.

in the 8 years i've been playing paintball i've discovered theres no such thing as "sniping" with a paintball gun. paintballs are imperfect, they tend to go where they want to go. thats why you have someone in your sights, you have to shoot off atleast 3 rounds, one as a tracer, the other to hit the guy, and the last one for good measure.

as someone else stated, you can always buy a shorter barrel to mess around with but cutting down a good barrel is almost always a bad idea. i remember my friend tried to do some modding with his flatline barrel back in the days, what a mistake that was. he pretty much ruin the whole aspect of why the flatline barrel worked to being with.

BTW, sidekick user unite!

You can still get pretty real paintball markers too ;)

Of course that's with a little modding.

IPB Image

BTW,

Is this what your Barrel looks like (off the marker)?

IPB Image

Slip-fit, retained by jam screw.

I think you'd be out of luck finding a small barrel for that pump.

I'd say definitely cut the least accurate of the two barrels you have,

you'll loose the range and accuracy cutting it down anyways.

But it'd be perfect for CQB.

Where in Cali do you or have you played?

Edited by DeeLux

DND-THe suppressor i have is factory made by Taso, vintage but very new. It works very well, i have put new foam and use grease to absorb more sound.

I would never mod somthing like a Flatline..these barrel cost me like $10 a piece vs.flatline??=$60.

DEELUX- is that a zues?modded to hell??vey nice....kinda looks like an A5 though..barely..

Its a Taso, Spartan...threaded, not slip fit, but i do have a taso with the slip fit design.

The barrels i found were purchased with the silencer in mind. I will have one long ass barrel, a med one(in the pic) and a shorty to use QC or with silencer.

What i am tryin to do is guestimate which of the two barrels will be the one to keep. smooth curved lip or bevled lip.

We mostly play at Camp Pen. in Socal.

Edited by orguss01

DND-THe suppressor i have is factory made by Taso, vintage but very new. It works very well, i have put new foam and use grease to absorb more sound.

I would never mod somthing like a Flatline..these barrel cost me like $10 a piece vs.flatline??=$60

factory made supressor?!?!? i didn't know they made those, cool! then again i just play for fun nowadays. i was really into it for a while but being in NYC, i don't get to play as often as i like and the cold temps only allows me to play in the sweltering summers. either way, it sounds pretty neat(no advice which barrel to use) and you're definitely hardcore trying to play with the pump gun these days.

i tried to play with just handguns once(sidekick and PT extreme, yeah they're old) but i got lint up like a christmas tree all day long. out of all the scenarios we played that day i only got one kill...it was only one but it was probably the most satisfying!

and damn Deelux, that A-5 is looking AWE-SOME! reminds me of a futuristic heavy rifle, how many RPS you get out of that piece?

You might want to try a pipe cutter. If you cut the barrel yourself DO NOT use a hacksaw.

There are these special cutters for pipes. well anything cylidrical. You will ruin the shape of the barrel if you cut it with a normal saw.

thepipe cutter has a circular cutting disc. and a clamp. it clamps on to the pipe and you run the cutter around the pip along the outside. it cuts deeper and deeper as you run it. but when it cuts it does not deform the metal at all. Its what people use to cut down airsoft barrels.

In airsoft, there are silencers. but they are not tru silencers. they do not decrease the decibels of the muzzle report but rather change the pitch. Like my stock Mk23 Socom has a silencer that lowers the pitch so much that it is hard to hear it. even when its right next to your ear.

Edited by Solscud007

You are right about the hack saw Sol.

I was planning on using the dremel with a cut off wheel..??i was afraid the pipe cutter would put some pressure on the pipe and pinch the end, this is really soft aluminum...are airsoft barrels steel or alum?

I have a small one used for cutting like styrne tubes...maybe i can crank it wide and see if the barrel fits...orrrr i can just goto Hdpt and pick one up.. thanks

Hey DEElux whats the "ammo box" on that A5??In the action shots at the Regulators site looks like there is an air line going to back pack. is that a volumizer/exp chambre?

Edited by orguss01

The Box Magazine hides a Palmers Stabilizer inside (great for CO2 and HPA).

It's all custom made so inside the box with a steel braided hose connected to a remote air fitting on the bottom of the box.

I then have an HPA tank on the back of my vest connected to the A5 by remote coil.

Here's a couple of pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image

If you want to check out the process check my gallery out:

DeeLux Pbase gallery

Edited by DeeLux

• 5 years later...

factory made supressor?!?!? i didn't know they made those, cool!

They don't anymore. The feds ruled that ANY suppressor is illegal without at least a special permit. Local fields around here don't even allow you to bring them on the field any longer (PA, NJ, MD).

I had a suppressor and a barrel extenender for my old PMI-68 magnum. I put them on before the game to psych out the newbies, took them off during the game since they actually made the gun shoot worse and broke balls like crazy.