Yamato's 1/60 SV-51.

UN Spacy

haha, we're all turning into panic merchants. For my contribution to the mass anxiety, I'm thinking about packaging and shipping. This puppy looks like it will have lots of fragile pointy bits that could snap in transit, like the tips on the VF-0 tailfins did (for eg, the split wing tips and the fuselage fins.. dunno what the proper name is). I wonder if the toy could be shipped without them attached?

Edited by Guppy

haha, we're all turning into panic merchants. For my contribution to the mass anxiety, I'm thinking about packaging and shipping. This puppy looks like it will have lots of fragile pointy bits that could snap in transit, like the tips on the VF-0 tailfins did (for eg, the split wing tips and the fuselage fins.. dunno what the proper name is). I wonder if the toy could be shipped without them attached?

I think the "fuselage fins" you're referring to might be pitot tubes(pronounced pee-to)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitot

Very cool, thanks Graham.

Nice to see such rapid advancement on new projects now even if it isn't good for the bank balance.

Graham, do you know when Yamato will announce their 80's mecha project? I thought that might have been it under the SV-51 pics there but obviously not.

I agree that the "Broken Back" thing may be just an illusion, but I also think that the intakes and the tail Stabs are too big....particularly the Tail Stabs they just look WAY TOO BIG. I hope they are scaled down, but they probably won't be.

Graham will you be given an opportunity to critique this thing and voice our concerns/observations like you did with the YF-19?

Chris

I can't wait to see the "pope hat" custom :)

I love this mech in Fighter mode, the thinness of the upper extremities and joints frightens me with regard to the other modes. By the looks of it, this one will need to be handled very gently. It is pretty though.

The mid-wing hinges are also a concern to me.

Graham

Agreed, especially because all of the included weapons are located past that point on the outboard portion of the wing.

Chris

The spikes on the tailfins I'd vote for being radar warning receivers (RWR) (especially considering their similarity to the VF-0's), but the ones on the canards I think are more likely mass-balancers. Same as you see on the top of an F-15's fins.

Here is a compairison phot I made of the Yamato prototype and my Hasegawa SV-51. I tried to match the angels the best I could. I know that the Hasegawa models always have better fighter modes because it's a model, I just wanted to show a good compairison of the 2 is all. :)

Chris

post-265-1169655233_thumb.jpg

Here is a compairison phot I made of the Yamato prototype and my Hasegawa SV-51. I tried to match the angels the best I could. I know that the Hasegawa models always have better fighter modes because it's a model, I just wanted to show a good compairison of the 2 is all. :)

Chris

They could stand to slim down those bombs(?) on the wingtips, it'd help the balance to boot.

Other then that it's pretty damn close to my mind.

I think two small elelments would be a slight shrinking of the items toward the rear of more angling with the intakes. I think those are the two elements that are currently causing the brokeback illusion... that and probably just the angle it's at.

The spikes around the nose are part of the active stealth system. I would imagine the spikes on the tail fins are probably radar warning receivers. As for the spikes on the canards, who knows?

Graham

Probably vortex or shockwave inducers. (See QSP and Aerospike)

Helps the forward swept canards cope better with transonic and supersonic speeds.

I don't think they're mass balancers, because that would exaggerate the divergence rate on forward swept aerodynamic surfaces, making flutter a bigger problem than it already is.

Ultimately it could simply be a stylistic element from Kawamori's side, though.

Nice work on the comparison image, Dobber.

Really shows that the Yamato version has a comparatively beefed up fuselage and less pronounced spine.

Edited by T.V.

Probably vortex or shockwave inducers. (See QSP and Aerospike)

Helps the forward swept canards cope better with transonic and supersonic speeds.

I don't think they're mass balancers, because that would exaggerate the divergence rate on forward swept aerodynamic surfaces, making flutter a bigger problem than it already is.

Ultimately it could simply be a stylistic element from Kawamori's side, though.

T.V., Are you in the aircracft industry or are you just plane crazy like David Hingten? (by plane crazy I mean crazy about planes ^_^ )

Agreed, especially because all of the included weapons are located past that point on the outboard portion of the wing.

Chris

I second that.

Also because the mid-wing hinge folds down while the hinge connecting the wing to the body folds up.

I don't know what everyone is talking about in regards to the "broken back" thing. That's just how the SV-51 looks. ...Or at least Hasegawa's interpretation of it.

IPB Image

This response poses both sides to the coin:

See, you're going about it all wrong. Don't swear off first releases.... swear off paying full price on first releases. Eventually someone here or on eBay will realize they've bought too many VF-0S and slash the price and sell them at a discount just to free up some cash or warehouse space.... that's when you buy yours. Spending $200 on a toy riddled with little problems (and they tend to be little, let's not get carried away) is a tough pill to swallow sometimes. Spending $120 on that same toy 8 months later? Yeah, that's a bit easier to deal with. Believe me, these retailers aren't invested over $120 in most of these toys so hacking 'em down to cost at some point will be worth it if they can get new stuff in that will sell at MSRP.

Anyone who thinks Yamato is going to invest this heavily in new molds and engineering and then NOT eventually reissue or create a bunch of variations isn't thinking things through. Even if the first edition doesn't sell Yamato is smart enough to know that it's because they screwed up. That doesn't mean they won't spit out a bunch of variations to get those whacky first editions sold out before reissuing, it just means if you have Yoda like patience it'll pay off eventually. How many valks haven't been reissued at this point? Even if you include the Mac+ line there aren't many that are still in first release (M&M??).

Wow, I've never thought about it that way. That makes me feel relieved.

Guess I'll wait for prices to go down then, and buy one on eBay later on. And then just wait and hope for a better Ivanov if they ever reissue it. Thanks, jenius :)

T.V., Are you in the aircracft industry or are you just plane crazy like David Hingten? (by plane crazy I mean crazy about planes ^_^ )

Just plane crazy. :lol:

I did study aerospace engineering for a few years, but that amounted to nothing.

I switched to industrial design, which suits me much better.

Regardless, I've always had a fondness for aircraft since my early childhood, especially military aircraft.

Now the question no one has asked, why is the Yamato SV-51 carrying Phoenix missiles?

You're confusing them with the russian R-33 Amos missles, which the SV-51 canonically is associated with.

They're actually more or less the russian equivalent of the AIM-54 Phoenix, and are carried by the MiG-31.

Note that the SV-51 carries the fictional R-33D Amos+ variant, which apparently looks more like a Phoenix, due to the revised fin layout.

post-4752-1169671760_thumb.jpg

Edited by T.V.

thanks for correcting my ignorance on jet anatomy! :)

Once again displaying my ignorance (and it's prolly been asked before), but is the SV-51 inspired by a real life counterpart at all? I always thought not as most of it looks pretty sci-fi but I thought the body might resemble something.

The '51 has sometimes been refered to as a styleized F-18 crossed with an Su-37. The F-18 reference is obvious to me, I'm not sure about the Su-37 though...

The '51 has sometimes been refered to as a styleized F-18 crossed with an Su-37. The F-18 reference is obvious to me, I'm not sure about the Su-37 though...

That's pretty much it.

The configuration - nose engine bays, wing surfaces - really remind you of the planform of the Hornet, but certain visual clues point towards the Flanker (and other typical soviet/russian designs), such as the IRST, canopy, shape of the nose, LERXs, cannon muzzles, and the nose landing gear.

Also, at certain angles it has a similar swooping look as the Flanker.

I'd say the Yamato version edges slighty towards the MiG-29, being more stout and all. :lol:

From comparison pics, its more obvious that the air intakes are big and don't jive very well to the whole fighter package and lacks the sleekness.

Looking at the side profile of the SV-51 posted by Vic Macini, the SV-51 has a pretty long gullet. And also notice the difference with the yamato. The intakes on the topview lineart show that the intakes don't start from where the canards are, but its a top-cover. The intakes start abit further back away from the canards below the cover, as can be seen from the side profile.

The yamato however, there isn't this top-cover. Right after the canards, the intakes are there. But this is also the case for the hasegawa. Hmmm. Well anyway, its apparent now that the legs/intakes are abit bigger then they should be. Not sure if they could fix this without compromising transformation.

That's pretty much it.

The configuration - nose engine bays, wing surfaces - really remind you of the planform of the Hornet, but certain visual clues point towards the Flanker (and other typical soviet/russian designs), such as the IRST, canopy, shape of the nose, LERXs, cannon muzzles, and the nose landing gear.

Also, at certain angles it has a similar swooping look as the Flanker.

I'd say the Yamato version edges slighty towards the MiG-29, being more stout and all. :lol:

I would say that that sums it up pretty well. The main part that reminds me of the hornet is the shape and placement of the wings. The intakes along with the overall layout of the fuselage is definitely soviet in orgin. I would say it looks closer to that of a SU-27 / "flanker" than the MIG-29, with a few touches from later model SU's thrown in. B))

Here's the bigger scan.

It will have a proper cockpit, just the one in the photo is quite cloudy for some reason. Actually, if you look carefully, you can still make out the ejection handle with yellow and black stripes.

Graham

You know, I just noticed and I'm not sure if somebody already commented on this already, but the SV-51 knees are backwards when in GERWALK compared to when in Battroid mode. It makes sense because of those kneecaps/guard, but this means the legs are rotated for battroid-transformation.