Yamato's 1/60 SV-51.

UN Spacy

Wow. Thanks for the pictures Graham! Too bad it's just the Fighter, but even so it looks incredible. Just a little scared about some of those joints.

Well, looks like my "eventually" from before, became "the day it's released."

Edited by Boo

thank you much for pics Graham~

Yamato should know that they should take their time and catch all the "boneheaded" qc issues. I'd rather wait another couple months to get something that free of design related qc issues.

I'm also a bit worried about the price they charge for this thing...

Looks great, can't wait to see it with decals and stickers as it gets closer to production. The little pilot figure in the SV looks like Isamu from the YF-19, is that Ivanov's uniform color?

WOW!!!! Thank you Graham!! :D

Question, do you know if the lower aft stabilizers will angle down more and they just aren't pushed down all the way on this peice?

Thanks Again.

Chris

i got a question! why is the sv-51 have its own stand? is it propreitary?do the regular stands can be use on the sv-51? does this sv-51 stand can be use with all the valks that are available right now? sorry if these have been answered before.

Looks very good. I think if they just gave up on molding the fan-face onto the ducting plug, it would actually look better, though. Somehow putting that little round fan there just draws attention to an understandable compromise they had to make.

Maybe just a shot of flat-black paint, to de-emphasize the blocked intakes?

~Luke

i got a question! why is the sv-51 have its own stand? is it propreitary?do the regular stands can be use on the sv-51? does this sv-51 stand can be use with all the valks that are available right now? sorry if these have been answered before.

The stand is propreitary to the SV-51. Regular Yamato Macross stands cannot be used with the SV-51 in Battroid mode, owing to the leg length which is too long for the stand.

Graham

The stand is propreitary to the SV-51. Regular Yamato Macross stands cannot be used with the SV-51 in Battroid mode, owing to the leg length which is too long for the stand.

Graham

oh ok now i understand. i think yamato should have just made an extension kit for the regular stand. hence making the toy a little bit cheaper and simple, but ya know they must have other reasons for doing that. :lol:

Looks very good. I think if they just gave up on molding the fan-face onto the ducting plug, it would actually look better, though. Somehow putting that little round fan there just draws attention to an understandable compromise they had to make.

Maybe just a shot of flat-black paint, to de-emphasize the blocked intakes?

~Luke

Agreed. I think the same treatment might work with the VF-0 too.

I had actually been waiting to see your comment on this new SV-51, seeing as how you are probably more intimately familiar with its design than most anyone else. Anything else you notice offhand?

My question (going back to Yamato's VF-1)--is why have the fans molded there in the first place? It just really looks bad to have them RIGHT THERE when you look. If you can't have them way back inside (you know, where the engines actually) are---just don't have them at all. Mold nothing, or have it taper into blackness. "Blackness" looks just like the real blackness you see in real jet intakes.

Trust me, 99% of the time, you can't see a fighter jet's fans by just looking. You pretty much have to literally stick your head up inside the intake, and use a flash (which I have done many times--I also like to yell to see how much the intake echoes).

My question (going back to Yamato's VF-1)--is why have the fans molded there in the first place? It just really looks bad to have them RIGHT THERE when you look. If you can't have them way back inside (you know, where the engines actually) are---just don't have them at all. Mold nothing, or have it taper into blackness. "Blackness" looks just like the real blackness you see in real jet intakes.

Trust me, 99% of the time, you can't see a fighter jet's fans by just looking. You pretty much have to literally stick your head up inside the intake, and use a flash (which I have done many times--I also like to yell to see how much the intake echoes).

Good point. Once I have the toy on my hands I might just take that piece off.

normally i would agree with you(i love me some diecast!) but i realized that transforming toys should be made of plastic since it involves a lot of moving parts that can scrape together.

for fixed figures its all about the diecast, but for tranformable toys i say plastic please. :)

oh, I mean metal for the wing joints.. a'la the swing bar in the 1/48 VF-1... not big metal legs or some such.

The SV-51 has never done a lot for me but I like to get one of every type so I will most likely get one.

I disliked the shallow inlets on my VF-0A so much I left the inlet covers on in fighter mode; so when I saw the ridiculous turbine blade placement on the SV-51 I was really disappointed. If shallow inlets were required due to moving parts behind the fan blades why did they place the blades so darn low. By not placing the blades in the center of the inlet they just compounded a bad situation.

Due to the types of joints involved I will defiantly wait until the second release for this bird. I due prefer the Ivanov Type however so plain may change.

post-289-1172827006_thumb.jpg

Edited by rdenham

Amen! Graham, I have one more question.....now THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT OR A NITPICK.....I was curious why the engine fans are always put so far forward in these toys....starting with the 1/48 VF-1's to the SV-51......instead of them being further back in the intakes. Is this a consious choice on the designers part or is it done out of necessity for the construction process and so forth. It just looks really drastic in the SV-51 and I was curious.

edit: For my horrible spelling

Chris

I think it has to do with the toy's engineering. I mean, directly behind the fans are the first joint in the leg, and if they put the fans further back, it'll interfere with that joint...

Correct.

Graham

Got you covered David! :D Great minds think alike :p

Chris

...I had actually been waiting to see your comment on this new SV-51...

Well, overall, it's quite good, however, if you really want to get nitpicky:

Though hard to verify in the new photos, based on those original photos we saw, the wings and fuselage/nose are probably a bit small/short. (But this is understandable, considering how it transforms.) The wing roots/fillets (shoulders) are definitely too thick, in turn making the 30mm cannon mounts too thick, but again, there's not much you could do, the shoulders have to contain a lot of joints for the arms and what-not. Also, the 'ramps' that fair the front of the nacelles are a bit 'brutal'... Oh well.

Two things that really hit me though: First, there are two 'fins' missing, on the bottom. They're supposed to go on either side of the forward lift fan exhausts. Maybe they interfered with transformation?

Second, the nacelles and intake boxes (legs) are really a bit on the hefty side... It does "improve" the battroid mode, of course, but I always thought the SV looked like an anorexic pope anyhow, so adding 'beef' to the legs really is sort of counterproductive. It also makes the fan face look even smaller.

Again though, these are nitpicks. Overall, it definitely captures the look of the SV-51.

~Luke

Edited by IAD

I didn't mean to bash it at all. In my opinion, it is a much better than the YF-19, in terms of fighter mode line-art accuracy. (i.e. not 'blob-ifying' fighter mode.)

~Luke

it's just early to start bashing something that was only shown in one mode and even then, only in resin. not saying you don't have a right to your perceptions and prefernces :)

I agree with others that the intakes look pretty bad. The intakes are also a problem for me on the VF-0, [perhaps the only problem on an otherwise perfect rendition], but I personally thought that Yamato handled the intakes on the YF-19 very well and I wish they would've taken the same route on the 0 and 51.

On the 0 and 51 it looks like a turbine blade is mounted on a flat wall. At least on the 19 the blade is sunken in a tad and the "wall" angles into the fan with some paint and detail.

Let's face it, the intake on the SV-51 is going to look bad no matter what you do, even if you remove the fan and paint the wall black as others have suggested, simply because of the small lip on the front of the intake. But if Yamato at least gave a bit more finish to the fan area, like they did on the 19, I think it would look a lot better.

IPB Image

I'm wondering if the fan being "low and small" in the intake is an attempt at forced perspective. But that doesn't work when you're trying to make 1mm of depth look like 100.

Just for comparison, here's both types of F-16 intakes----which are quite short and straight as modern jets go, intake-wise. The fan is only a couple feet back from the intake, and the entire intake is painted bright gloss white, and polished until its smooth and shiny. And all you can see is black. Now, having stuck my head inside several F-16 intakes, I can tell you you can easily see the fan--IF YOUR EYEBALLS ARE INSIDE THE INTAKE. You really can't see it from the outside, unless it's like sunrise or sunset, and a ray of light hits the intake from a low angle, illuminating the fan directly.

Intake fans on a model=pointless. Unless you tend to shine flashlights down the intakes and use angled mirrors to see around in the internal bends.

hmm, that's an interesting theory. I wonder if yamato should just fudge the intake designs and give it more of a scoop to better create the illusion of depth... since they can't push it back any further, why not add material in front?

I dunno, adding material in front would make the nose/fuselage look shorter. And the long, Sukhoi-style nose is 59.175% of what makes the SV an SV. :D

I guess a better question is, what's actually behind those fan faces? If you look at the GERWALK photos, you can see the hinge is actually a little ways back. If the leg 'extension' (the black part that's exposed when you fold the hinge down) were attached to the intake component, as it is on the YF-19, then there should be some free space in there. What's it being used for?

~Luke

Edited by IAD

I guess a better question is, what's actually behind those fan faces? If you look at the GERWALK photos, you can see the hinge is actually a little ways back. If the leg 'extension' (the black part that's exposed when you fold the hinge down) were attached to the intake component, as it is on the YF-19, then there should be some free space in there. What's it being used for?

~Luke

I think a fair amount of it is filled with strengthening material.

The hips have to bear a hefty load, so I imagine the hipjoints being the most robust out of all the joints on a VF/SV.

Seeing the VF-19 makes me believe that Yamato intends to uphold the illusion of inset fan disk if possible, though they can't do it for some reason on the VF-0 and SV-51.

What I'm wondering though, is why the fandisks are so low set instead of being more centralised in the intake?

When the illusion of depth is already destroyed, there isn't much reason to put them on the exact same axis as the engine cores are meant to be.

Aesthetic considerations should be more prevalent, I feel.