*Historical* Significance of SDFM

BEAST

i think it wasn't aired in the UK, if it did then it didn't make much of an impact over here. So judging by the USA, i would say it was a major factor in introducing anime to the USA.

Yeah it aired in 1989/90 on Sky cant remember which channel. We didnt (and still dont) have Sky so all the kids at college (yup I was at college in 1989) had a lot to say about it. I had seen most of Robotech by then borrowed on vhs from Blockbuster. So when they guys started drawing Valks and Minmay on their college folders etc I know all about them. I was able to add the Macross bits for them. A few didnt even know it was Japanese, and one thought it was Transformers. Considering we are all engineers you`d think that he would know better.

Yeah it aired in 1989/90 on Sky cant remember which channel. We didnt (and still dont) have Sky so all the kids at college (yup I was at college in 1989) had a lot to say about it. I had seen most of Robotech by then borrowed on vhs from Blockbuster. So when they guys started drawing Valks and Minmay on their college folders etc I know all about them. I was able to add the Macross bits for them. A few didnt even know it was Japanese, and one thought it was Transformers. Considering we are all engineers you`d think that he would know better.

That explains a lot, I didn't have Sky TV back then and I still don't have it. :)

Macek and HG totally missed a prime opportunity to become pioneers with anime. Instead of trying to tie 3 unrelated series' together with a weak storyline, they could have simply made Robotech a brand name anthology title that would have brought mecha based anime shows over from Japan under the RT banner.

So long as there were anime shows to license and dub for Western audiences they would have fresh titles every season to present to the fans.

The model and toy markets were already in place, they just needed companies to import them for sale.

Had they done that, THEN they could claim to have "pioneered anime exposure" to pop culture in North America.

However, instead they put together a show that lost it's momentum with the second series and thus lost many casual viewers.

Everyone remembers watching the Macross chapter of the show, but not as many remember the Mospeada chapter, unless they were die hard fans. :rolleyes:

Edited by Zinjo

I hope a live action Macross never happens. I have no interest in seeing it. I'm quite certain that it would end up as an abomination regardless of whether it was produced in Japan or Hollywood.

I'm quite happy with Macross staying as an anime thank you very much. I've never understood this fascination some people have with turning perfectly good anime into live action.

Graham

Okay so Graham i am an aspiring film maker. My job in the Air Force is videographer, and i intend to go to film school when my enlistment is up. Now i know how the film industry works, and i know how everything changes, but lets say i do become a direct who has made enough quality films that a studio in hollywood would bank roll a dream project of mine with me having complete and total control over said project. You mean to tell me that if i put out a Macross film, probably a live action version of DYRL or something real close to it you wouldn't watch it? I feel that the problem with hollywood and their adaptations is that they don't let fans make the movie. Sam Raimi is a Spiderman fan and it shows, Michael Bay has probably never once seen an episode of Transformers and it shows too. I am a die hard fan and always have been. i know what belongs in a Macross film and what doesn't and if it wasnt just a CGI orgy of trash and it was actually what it's supposed to be you wouldnt watch my film?

Hopefully one day i will be able to tackle a dream project and if it is something like Macross, god help me i will show the world what a real adaptation of an anime should be. :lol:

Okay so Graham i am an aspiring film maker. My job in the Air Force is videographer, and i intend to go to film school when my enlistment is up. Now i know how the film industry works, and i know how everything changes, but lets say i do become a direct who has made enough quality films that a studio in hollywood would bank roll a dream project of mine with me having complete and total control over said project. You mean to tell me that if i put out a Macross film, probably a live action version of DYRL or something real close to it you wouldn't watch it? I feel that the problem with hollywood and their adaptations is that they don't let fans make the movie. Sam Raimi is a Spiderman fan and it shows, Michael Bay has probably never once seen an episode of Transformers and it shows too. I am a die hard fan and always have been. i know what belongs in a Macross film and what doesn't and if it wasnt just a CGI orgy of trash and it was actually what it's supposed to be you wouldnt watch my film?

Hopefully one day i will be able to tackle a dream project and if it is something like Macross, god help me i will show the world what a real adaptation of an anime should be. :lol:

Have you seen silent hill yet, supposedly he was a fan and totally butchered it, not saying that you would, but sometimes fans have a bad habit of "Trying To Make Things Better" or at least what they consider is better.

Everyone remembers watching the Macross chapter of the show, but not as many remember the Mospeada chapter, unless they were die hard fans. :rolleyes:

There were other Chapters ??!! Only kidding... I bought all the Robotech dvds and remember when watching series two that I was feeling like end already.. please. Even when whatching M7 I only felt like that for a couple of episodes that were a bit pointless to the whole story. Mospeda was better but better in its original context and language.

kanedaestes

If you ever make a live action Macross anything you know it will be great as you`ll have all us lot as official advisors to the project. You`ll have to pick a really long track for the end credits to get all our names in though :rolleyes:

Have you seen silent hill yet, supposedly he was a fan and totally butchered it, not saying that you would, but sometimes fans have a bad habit of "Trying To Make Things Better" or at least what they consider is better.

The only thing i would possibly change is make the dog fights a bit more intense like in Mac0, other than that why change perfection? But i do see and understand your point. And it would be up to all of you fine people here on Mac World to keep me on the right track if i do ever get the chance to do such a thing ;)