I'm a huge fan of the Silver Surfer and enjoyed the way in which both he and his powers were displayed in this trailer. It's so tragic that he has to be part of a Fantastic Four movie, especially given how terrible the first film was. But I suppose the Surfer's status as a minor hero means that us fans can never hope to see a decent film about him on his own, so I'll no doubt want to see this next FF film just to see NR in action. Hopefully I'll avoid the film in theatres and manage to somehow see it for free on DVD.

I will say this however, I found the physical animation for the Surfer quite poor. Everything else from the skin to his powers were well done, but the way he moved leaves a lot to be desired.

Yes galactus be in the movie. And just because the Silver Surfer is in this doesn't mean that he won't get his own movie one day too if this does well which i am sure it will in theaters. I enjoyed the first. Sure it wasn't perfect or anywhere near it and i felt Doom was waaaaay underwrittern, (he's in the new movie too) but i did like the relationship between the thing and the human torch. I thought it was funny and made the movie worth watching and having. Besides you never know this one may just be very good.

I may be in the minority here but i honestly believe that Jessica Alba didn't belong in the movie. Being the huge comic book geek that i am, and being the film maker i am i pay close attention to whose cast in movies depicting my favorite heroes. Granted i was never much of a Fantastic Four fan but i believe that she was only in the movie to pull in people to the theater. She wasn't a good Sue Storm, they could ahve gotten a better one, she is just one of the most well known young actresses in hollywood. Much like Hallie Berry in X-men, bad casting, I still to this day believe Angela Basset though much older is the perfect Storm. Just watch any movie she's in. Anyway back to my poiint. The reason the first one failed was because of the writing. The plot was too weak and the dialog terrible. I hope they can improve on that. And as i did with hallie berry i will just have to tolerate looking at Jessica Alba. Sure she is gorgeous but she isnt the most believable actress

I gotta admit, the Silver Surfer/Human Torch race around New York City looked pretty cool. A classic MARVEL scene. Hopefully this time they'll show Doc Doom at his best; as a twisted mad egomaniac torturer (we got a little taste of it when he used liquid nitrogen to freeze Mr. Fantastic in the first movie).

I'm a huge fan of the Silver Surfer and enjoyed the way in which both he and his powers were displayed in this trailer. It's so tragic that he has to be part of a Fantastic Four movie, especially given how terrible the first film was. But I suppose the Surfer's status as a minor hero means that us fans can never hope to see a decent film about him on his own, so I'll no doubt want to see this next FF film just to see NR in action. Hopefully I'll avoid the film in theatres and manage to somehow see it for free on DVD.

I will say this however, I found the physical animation for the Surfer quite poor. Everything else from the skin to his powers were well done, but the way he moved leaves a lot to be desired.

The beginning of that trailer tells me how crappy the rest of the movie will be, but I enjoyed the action scene. Obviously, Mr. March has never seen me surf because that's exactly how cool I look on the waves, right up to the part where I pick up other surfers by the neck and throw them to the man eating sharks...

The only thing you can hear after that is a faint,

"I blame EXOOOoooo......"

No sir, I didnt like it...

Actually that trailer was awesome... if only the movies were that good.

I was not a fan at all of the 1st film. The Thing would be so much better if he were CG. Especially after seeing what they did years ago in Galaxy Quest. I will admit the Surfer looks awesome and the trailer was killer, but I'll have to see a helluva lot more to venture to the theater for this one.

Edited by Skullsixx

I am glad the thing wasnt cgi. CGI is way over done and many times unnecessary. Yes the Surfer has to be but not the thing. The rubber suit gave it a more realistic feel instead of that slick glossy look. The best CGI characters ever have been gollum and the hulk, but that had great special effects team working on those. WETA and ILM unfortunately cant do CGI for everyone though.

Little known fact about the Fantastic Four...

Originally Stan Lee was going to give Ben "The Thing" Grimm the ability to turn on and off his rocky hard body. The idea was quickly axed when it was realized that Ben would have to yell out, "Hard -ON!" when making his transformation. :lol:

Oh alright, I made that one up. :)

I may be in the minority here but i honestly believe that Jessica Alba didn't belong in the movie. Being the huge comic book geek that i am, and being the film maker i am i pay close attention to whose cast in movies depicting my favorite heroes. Granted i was never much of a Fantastic Four fan but i believe that she was only in the movie to pull in people to the theater. She wasn't a good Sue Storm, they could ahve gotten a better one, she is just one of the most well known young actresses in hollywood. Much like Hallie Berry in X-men, bad casting, I still to this day believe Angela Basset though much older is the perfect Storm. Just watch any movie she's in. Anyway back to my poiint. The reason the first one failed was because of the writing. The plot was too weak and the dialog terrible. I hope they can improve on that. And as i did with hallie berry i will just have to tolerate looking at Jessica Alba. Sure she is gorgeous but she isnt the most believable actress

I agree. I have always thought that Kelly Carlson from Niptuck would have been a far better Invisible Woman. Coincidentally she is also a co star with the guy who played Dr. Doom. She is older than Alba(Alba is too young to play Invisible Woman, hell the guy who played Johnny looks the same age!) and looks more like the comic Invisible Woman than Alba. Plus there would not be a big age gap between her and Mr. Fantastic, the guy who played him look way older than Jessica Alba. Carlson also comes off more assertive, whereas with Jessica Alba her youth shows in her attitude/acting.

I agree. I have always thought that Kelly Carlson from Niptuck would have been a far better Invisible Woman. Coincidentally she is also a co star with the guy who played Dr. Doom. She is older than Alba(Alba is too young to play Invisible Woman, hell the guy who played Johnny looks the same age!) and looks more like the comic Invisible Woman than Alba. Plus there would not be a big age gap between her and Mr. Fantastic, the guy who played him look way older than Jessica Alba. Carlson also comes off more assertive, whereas with Jessica Alba her youth shows in her attitude/acting.

I'll drink to that!!! I couldn't agree more!

I don't see the big deal about her co-starring with the dude that played Dr. Doom... that guy SUCKED! The designed was weak. That Kelly Carlson looks good, there was also a rumor that Sara Winter from 24 would get the role. I don't really get why you would get someone as hot as Jessica Alba for the role of INVISIBLE woman... or why you would get the director of Barber Shop to direct the fantastic four. Or why you would degrade awesome designs like The Thing and Dr. Doom to something weaker. Check out this pic I took of Sideshow's Dr. Doom and compare it to the gay trench coat wearing wanna be Magneto...

IPB Image IPB Image

I am glad the thing wasnt cgi. CGI is way over done and many times unnecessary. Yes the Surfer has to be but not the thing. The rubber suit gave it a more realistic feel instead of that slick glossy look. The best CGI characters ever have been gollum and the hulk, but that had great special effects team working on those. WETA and ILM unfortunately cant do CGI for everyone though.

LOL!

The suit sucks. Period. The technic that they used on Davey Jones in Pirates 2 could easly be done with The Thing. That alone would've allowed them far more diversity with the character. The actor was great nearly always has been same thing with Johny Storm(plug-in any current actor and it works).

Rest of the casting blows and Doom..... erg! :angry:

-----

Now on the trailer. I gotta admit the trailer was great and I did love how they showed off the Surfers powers(the way the character rode that board was textbook Surfer) and how comfortable with them he was using them. I'll watch this crappy movie just for the Surfer and big G(they can't screw-up his space ship that's for sure!).

LOL!

The suit sucks. Period. The technic that they used on Davey Jones in Pirates 2 could easly be done with The Thing. That alone would've allowed them far more diversity with the character.

Translation: Hey, they should've done ILM's latest and greatest a year earlier with a lesser company!

Seriously, Thing worked nicely. Unless you're just feeling the need to bashing every single aspect of the movie because it wasn't a perfect film.

Translation: Hey, they should've done ILM's latest and greatest a year earlier with a lesser company!

Seriously, Thing worked nicely. Unless you're just feeling the need to bashing every single aspect of the movie because it wasn't a perfect film.

the suit was fine, it was the face they messed up on...

Don't be an idiot. :rolleyes:

That technic didn't just 'pop-up' nor was it the latest thing. It was a slightly different application of existing technology(scanning tech that ANYONE with a computer & digital camera can do) that came from LoTR's Gollum and previous works(from the mid 90's). Next time actually know WTF you are talking.

That technic didn't just 'pop-up' nor was it the latest thing. It was a slightly different application of existing technology(scanning tech that ANYONE with a computer & digital camera can do) that came from LoTR's Gollum and previous works(from the mid 90's). Next time actually know WTF you are talking.

Excuse me? Actually I agree with JB0 and kanedaestes too. I think the thing looked fine without CG (and in many cases I prefer well done constumes over CG). CG isn't the be all and and all of special effects, its got its place for sure, but not everywhere.

Next time actually know WTF you are talking.

A. Quit being a hypocrite.

B. If you have a point, make it. Using facts. Insults are cheap and of no actual value to the discussion.

Click here if you need an example of how to effectively use facts in a debate with an intellectual inferior.

I would've thought you'd have the decency to at least not immediately call me an idiot after that last beating.

And I highly doubt you're advocating the use of ANY mocap-controlled CG model as you seem to be implying with the phrase "scanning tech that ANYONE with a computer & digital camera can do", since you specifically cited the latest and greatest.

You're right in that the major difference between the CG in Pirates 2 and prior applications of the technique was level of detail.

And you're ignoring the fact that increased level of detail requires increased talent and technology.

ILM has more CG talent than probably anyone else. And a much bigger hardware budget, since they tend to be the guys making the cutting-edge works.

Hence, ILM's latest work couldn't be done by a lesser company a year earlier.

A. Quit being a hypocrite.

B. If you have a point, make it. Using facts. Insults are cheap and of no actual value to the discussion.

Click here if you need an example of how to effectively use facts in a debate with an intellectual inferior.

I would've thought you'd have the decency to at least not immediately call me an idiot after that last beating.

And I highly doubt you're advocating the use of ANY mocap-controlled CG model as you seem to be implying with the phrase "scanning tech that ANYONE with a computer & digital camera can do", since you specifically cited the latest and greatest.

:lol: again.

I concur completely. I also thought Angela Basset should have played Storm, and would have favored someone older to play Sue Storm. Unfortunately, Hollywood favors the actors and actresses who are the flavor of the moment more often than not, regardless of what they can or can't bring to their characters. I wish the first F4 film had portrayed Dr. Doom's story and character per the comics. He is an iconic villain, and one I was looking forward to seeing on the big screen. As it is however, I hold no high hopes for a more accurate depiction given the writing team for the first film will most likely be involved for the second to preserve the continuity.

I can't understand why filmakers believe a new spin is required for every licensed animated property they decide to film with live-action. I understand some changes need to be made for the sake of believabilty/ realism; however, the story itself is what created the fanbase and thus propelled it to become the iconic, money-making property that makes it worthy of being given the film treatment. Yet, the trend continues. I fear Transformers shall inherit the legacy. It's a shame that special effects have, generally, eclipsed the writing efforts put into this genre. Sigh.

I never cared for the first FF movie, never was much of an FF fan to begin with. But yes Alba definitely wrong casting, the age difference was fine, she is suppossed to be a few years younger then Reed, but she is just not a good actress and totally miscast.

Now I watched the trailer, the surfer looks bad@$$ and I do wonder who flame boy will survive his little orbital jaunt with him. My biggest question is, will galacticus appear? I mean the surfer was originally the herald of Galacticus does this mean that the world destroyer will make his appearance?

See my problem is that I hate the fantastic four... the only thing I ever liked about it was the supporting characters and badguys. I love Doctor Doom and Galactus and the Silver Surfer but the Fantastic Four on their own is just plain boring. I can't stand any member of the 4 except for She-hulk and I doubt she'll show up in any of the FF movies so whatever.

Bottom line the last FF movie sucked, sucked worse then the canned Roger Moore one, I saw a bootleg of that at least doom's character was right. I don't care is Stan Lee apporved the changes for the movie version...

Doom was great because he was entirely self made... he didn't get powers from an accident he earned them through cunning and hard work. He was a master of science and technology, a rags to riches/dictatorship character. Too take that all away and make him a spoiled richy rich who got in an accident and got greedy, was unforgivable... I mean he's not the Green Goblin.

By destroying my favorite part of FF lore in the first movie, they ruined any faith I have for future installments, no matter how cool the Sufer looks (and admitedly it is pretty cool..) I dont' have faith that he will be treated in a respectful way.

Maybe I'll watch this on DVD. Maybe.

I agree about CGI. It has it's place but it's been abused way to much in certain years (Star Wars Prequels for example (not the large scale battles mind you but in the other places but that might be for another topic)). I too would rather have an extremely well done costume then CGI.

The trailer for the new film looks great. Gotta be honest though I still enjoy the first film. Personally I'm of the opinion that it suffers from the very same thing both Spider-man 1 and X-men 1 suffer from. It's an origin film and it has to be told. Now with that you can't just not add a villain for the heroes to fight. So they took the time to do Doom's origin. Now I like that they did that but I can see how the film suffered as a result. Sure they could have just jump into things with the characters having their powers but for those new the characters that wouldn't have worked to well.

I do think they messed up with Jessica Alba though. The other characters I had no problem with. I always liked the guy that played Doom ever since I first saw him on Charmed and now on Nip/Tuck. Michael Chiklis was THE best choice for Thing I feel and he made that character. When you have a great actor for the part, costume works just fine. Which is why I'm glad they went with Hellboy as a costume as well in that film. Ron Perlman is Hellboy due to how he acts and a CGI version in the same with Thing would have actually been a negative.

I think now that the origin material is out of the way they'll be able to hit the ground running in terms of a better story. They tried to do to much in the first film due to the number of important characters (5 total here). Where as with Spider-man you mostly had Spidey and Green Goblin and everyone else was secondary. With X-men it was only really Logan, Rogue, and Magento. Prof. X was really important as well but he and other X-men didn't require a LOT of development due to X-men's plot I felt.

The trailer for the new film looks great. Gotta be honest though I still enjoy the first film. Personally I'm of the opinion that it suffers from the very same thing both Spider-man 1 and X-men 1 suffer from. It's an origin film and it has to be told. Now with that you can't just not add a villain for the heroes to fight. So they took the time to do Doom's origin. Now I like that they did that but I can see how the film suffered as a result. Sure they could have just jump into things with the characters having their powers but for those new the characters that wouldn't have worked to well.

Yes you had to tell the Fantastic Four's origin no problem with that, and telling Doom's origin is not the problem. It's just that it's not Doom's origin. That's what makes it suffer, not that they have an origin, but that it's nothing like Dooms.

Have you seen the Roger Corman movie(why I said moore in my last post I have no idea)? It's a horrible film but here's what it did right... in it you've got Doom and Reed working together to try and harness the power from this comet, doom is impatient and won't let Reed double check his figures, and their device blows up and burns him... then some Latverians take him back home to rule...

Fast foward a few years and we have the FF go up again to the comet then they get dusted with cosmic radiation, and become the 4.

There you have it, an origin... is it exactly faithful to the comics? No... it changes the nature of the expirment it dosn't touch on him trying to save his mother's soul from hades, or that he has magical powers... but it gets a couple things right he's a scientist and he rules a country he's not some weird electro/green goblin hybrid.

So... until they can do doom properly I'm not very interested in seeing anything with him in it.

Part 1 of the Roger Corman movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7mdpSsqNsM...ed&search=/