Macross clip found on YouTube

Gatillero PR

It's a VF-1.

It's the opening animation from the SDF:M Do you Remember Love? game for Sega Saturn and PS1 - first released in 1997.

The original music (from Macross) and sound effects (from Macross) is much better - along with the dialogue that they have too.

As said before, it's from SDFM: Air oboeteimasuka? game for PS1. The game featured animated cut-scenes, some from the movie and some new, the most notable being the first and second (from which that video was assembled).

I'd love to see a new edition of the movie which included the animations from that game. They just perfectly to show what happens before Saturn. :D

It would be nice to have a place somewhere on this site where all those vids that some of us have not seen can be viewed. I've been on here for a while and have seen quite a bit, but it would be great for the newbies to have easy access to stuff like that. Not necessarily the series or movies, but at least perhaps the video game intros, etc. Then again... you can always just buy the Mac 20th Anniversary DVD.

Agreed! Some enterprising soul on this board with decent DVD mastering skills should cut and author one!

That would be awesome!!! Hopefully they would have to really good prints of the footage so they would match as close as possible. I'd love to see that. If I had some editing software... I'd do it!

What I dont get is why they have Roy, Max, Hikaru and Hayo launching from im guessing the prometheus with DYRL colors on their Valks. And on top of that, why it looks like the very first episode when Max and Hayo werent even in it...

Either way, IT STILL LOOKS COOL! Makes me wish that they would go back through the entire series and re-do the animation like that. Talk about eye candy!

What I dont get is why they have Roy, Max, Hikaru and Hayo launching from im guessing the prometheus with DYRL colors on their Valks. And on top of that, why it looks like the very first episode when Max and Hayo werent even in it...

Because the game is based on DYRL, which has a diffrent version of events than the TV show.

That clip is supposed to be from before the movie starts.

And yes, that is the Prometheus.

FNG here.

That clip had some sort of music superimposed over it.

Here is a YT video clip with <the original dialog/sound effects>, without the tunes.

---

At the end of the music video version, you can see the SDFM lifting off (from South Ataria Island, I presume) with the ARMD's already attached. I guess they weren't involved in a separate opening space battle of SW1 at all.

So here, Hikaru, Max, and Kakizaki are all supposed to have already been commissioned fighter pilots on Earth before the spacefold, the alternate-color scheme Enhanced Valks were already deployed on the Mak's first voyage, and the ARMD's were never intended to be stand-alone orbital defense craft at all?

Seems like the DYRL/PS peeps went to the HG school of continuity control... ^_^

Edited by BEAST

I really love some of those You-Boobs. Take a perfect piece of work like the 'intro to DYRL and cover it with irrelevant music-yeah, great job man...

So here, Hikaru, Max, and Kakizaki are all supposed to have already been commissioned fighter pilots on Earth before the spacefold, the alternate-color scheme Enhanced Valks were already deployed on the Mak's first voyage, and the ARMD's were never intended to be stand-alone orbital defense craft at all?

Here is my understanding of it, everyone feel free to correct me where I'm wrong:

The important thing to remember is that DYRL is just a movie "based on a true story" made several years after the war, it is not a documentary but a Hollywood-style production. The TV series is far closer to a "documentary." There were many ARMDs (at least 7 right?) and the SDF-1 presumably can dock with any of them. Since DYRL would have begun filming after the reconstruction the SDF-1, the SDF-1 would be mated to ARMDs having been repaired subsequent to Quamzin's final attack. That's why, in the beginning of the film, the SDF-1 has ARMDs and the "Daedalus" and "Prometheus" are just normal aircraft carriers (the real Daedalus and Prometheus now probably being nothing more than scrap). Hikaru, Hayao, and Max are all pilots at the beginning of the film to speed plot progression, not re-write history. The movie would have had to have been too long to show them all coming together as a group, its better to have them just start that way. I believe the valks in DYRL are also considered upgraded versions of the actual valks used in the war because technology had progressed by the shooting of the movie and the filming used actual service valks at the time of filming.

Edited by jenius

I don't see the Prometheus as presenting any real continuity problems within the DYRL storyline. In fact, it shows up later in the actual movie.

Pretty simple really. They are pilots on the Prometheus and are swept up in the Macross's fold. From there on, they fight from the Macross. A few months later, DYRL begins.

As for the ARMDs being already attached. Either an animation error or different plot than the "real" story of the TV series. And, there are more than two ARMDs, correct? Either way, no big whoop. :)

Let's also not forget that Bodolza's fortress (in the movie) is really a Beginhill training ship covered in holograms.

Shoji Kawamori once said something along the lines of if he told Macross as a TV series, you get SDF:M. If he told it like a movie, you get DYRL?. Of course, for Macross canon/history/continuity, the events of the TV series are true, but not the designs. The designs from the movie are true.

It's confusing...

And no, the ARMDs were intended to be BOTH stand-alone space aircraft carriers/platforms, AND docking to the SDF-1, and SDF-2. There are images of the planned, but never built, SDF-2, with ARMD arms, that predate the release of DYRL?.

The important thing to remember is that DYRL is just a movie "based on a true story" made several years after the war, it is not a documentary but a Hollywood-style production. The TV series is far closer to a "documentary." [...]

I believe the valks in DYRL are also considered upgraded versions of the actual valks used in the war because technology had progressed by the shooting of the movie and the filming used actual service valks at the time of filming.

Understood. The early real-world Pearl Harbor movie "Tora, Tora, Tora" featured US AT-6 Texan trainer planes rigged to vaguely resemble Nanchuukan (Japanese?) A6M Zeros, because real Zeros were so hard to come by after the war, and Texans were cheap and plentiful. So I totally get the rationale of using what was contemporarily available within the Macross timeline to do the DYRL movie. It's a real-life, demonstrated phenomenon in cinema.

But if you were to make a movie ostensibly about WWII F4U Corsairs (1940s) but used 30-years-more-modern F-14s (1970s), changed the colors all around, featured ships that were not originally there, etc., you would get slammed.

It looks like the movie/VG creators simply didn't sweat the details like today's more sophisticated, i.e. nerdy, fans. :rolleyes:

There were many ARMDs (at least 7 right?) and the SDF-1 presumably can dock with any of them.

Not according to the <official chronology>. ARMD-III wasn't commissioned until the month after the Mak spacefolded the hell out of Dodge.

But I guess the DYRL-creators could summon entire spaceships out of thin air too.

Since DYRL would have begun filming after the reconstruction the SDF-1, the SDF-1 would be mated to ARMDs having been repaired subsequent to Quamzin's final attack. That's why, in the beginning of the film, the SDF-1 has ARMDs and the "Daedalus" and "Prometheus" are just normal aircraft carriers (the real Daedalus and Prometheus now probably being nothing more than scrap).

That still doesn't make sense. If the fictional movie-makers could fabricate a realistic-looking Prometheus to launch Valks off of and saw in half, as depicted in the above clip, then they probably could've made decent-looking ships to stick onto the Mak for arms. They had the materials and wherewithal to reconstruct the Prometheus for the sea scenes, so you can't really say that they didn't have the ability to reconstruct the ships for use as arms within the fictional movie.

It was probably a choice of appearance over accuracy, and nothing more: Hollywood-style.

Or else, it was the result of a conclusion that surface ships would not be feasible as space vessels, no matter how much reworking was done. Perhaps that was why the Pro/Dae were scrapped and replaced with the original ARMD arm concept?

Hikaru, Hayao, and Max are all pilots at the beginning of the film to speed plot progression, not re-write history. The movie would have had to have been too long to show them all coming together as a group, its better to have them just start that way.

Nonsense. They could've just shown Roy introducing Kaki and Max as new team members to Hik in one of the many lounge/hallway scenes, and then shown them flying as part of the team from there on out. It wouldn't've had to take more than 30 seconds. It was unnecessary.

It was probably just an artistic choice.

Or a goof. :o

[broken into two posts because of length]

I don't see the Prometheus as presenting any real continuity problems within the DYRL storyline. In fact, it shows up later in the actual movie.

Understood--continuity-wise, within the film.

But why go to all the trouble to recreate the Prometheus, as they did in the VG, only to destroy it and use the ARMDs for arms instead? Since they could recreate the Prometheus believably enough to launch Valks off of it, then they could apparenlty recreate the surface ships believably enough to stick them on the sides of the Mak as arms, as well.

The VG seems to have done it simply to prop up the movie's decision to off the Pro.

But that doesn't explain why the moviemakers made that decision in the first place.

Either way, no big whoop.

Which just goes to back up my assertion that this is indicative of the HG school of continuity control. That could be the school motto. Or the main line of the school fight song! :p

It's confusing...

And how!

Of course, for Macross canon/history/continuity, the events of the TV series are true, but not the designs. The designs from the movie are true.

A pull-out that runs smack dab right into difficulty when you consider that the TV history shows the ARMDs getting ganked in space nowhere near the Mak, while the movie designs show the ARMDs already docked with the Mak from the very beginning...

You can't have it both ways. You need to pick one or the other, at least in this case. I choose the TV show, if for nothing other than nostalgia reasons... :D

If they ever make live-action films of SW1 (count me in!), I hope they do combine them, as you describe here--but in a more consistent fashion. :)

Nonsense. They could've just shown Roy introducing Kaki and Max as new team members to Hik in one of the many lounge/hallway scenes, and then shown them flying as part of the team from there on out. It wouldn't've had to take more than 30 seconds. It was unnecessary.

No, you NEED those people to be soldiers at the beginning of the film. How could Hikaru go from non-soldier, to rookie, to completely out of action, to Skull Leader within the timeframe of DYRL? No, he needs to be a soldier from the onset. Max also makes Skull Leader during the film... something again that would require him to be experienced more than the timeframe of DYRL supports.

That still doesn't make sense. If the fictional movie-makers could fabricate a realistic-looking Prometheus to launch Valks off of and saw in half, as depicted in the above clip, then they probably could've made decent-looking ships to stick onto the Mak for arms. They had the materials and wherewithal to reconstruct the Prometheus for the sea scenes, so you can't really say that they didn't have the ability to reconstruct the ships for use as arms within the fictional movie.

Except the SDF-1 is still in service during the filming. Making a fake ship and blowing it up? Yeah, that's easy. Getting permission from the military to physically alter an actual vessel (at a time when more Zents may still be marauding) is likely never going to happen. The SDF-1 had ARMDs attached after it was rebuilt, as such it will have ARMDs attached in all subsequent videos.

Edited by jenius

No, you NEED those people to be soldiers at the beginning of the film. How could Hikaru go from non-soldier, to rookie, to completely out of action, to Skull Leader within the timeframe of DYRL? No, he needs to be a soldier from the onset. Max also makes Skull Leader during the film... something again that would require him to be experienced more than the timeframe of DYRL supports.

From the series, Hik became a pilot before the ship approached Saturn (Ep.6).

Since the movie begins near Saturn, you wouldn't need to show Hik undergoing training. He could already be a pilot before the movie begins. No problem.

There was no need for the VG producers to change history and have him be a fighter pilot before the spacefold.

And I disagree that there would be any major need to show the training of Kaki & Max, either. While sure, we know that they would've had to have undergone plenty of training, it wouldn't be necessary to show it. Look how the movie shows Max's transition to Q-Rau pilot: no transition at all; he's simply shown with the new mecha, without explanation. The movie moves too quickly for all sorts of events, so you can't really say that they had to feature the three as full-fledged pilots from the beginning for time purposes.

Especially since the game opening sequence would've taken place months before the beginning of the movie. With that much time, there was definitely no time crunch necessitating the depiction of the three as military pilots from the beginning.

It was a liberty taken without need. Style over substance. Appearance over accuracy.

Except the SDF-1 is still in service during the filming. Making a fake ship and blowing it up? Yeah, that's easy. Getting permission from the military to physically alter an actual vessel (at a time when more Zents may still be marauding) is likely never going to happen. The SDF-1 had ARMDs attached after it was rebuilt, as such it will have ARMDs attached in all subsequent videos.

CGI would probably be even easier than making a fake ship, or shooting live action shots of the rebuilt Mak.

In the Makuros world with Overtechnology benefitting so many different kinds of products and services, I wonder which would be easier and cheaper: to physically recreate the epic battles of SW1 with live action video, or to just CGI it.

They certain use CGI for most air battle scenes in films of WWI & WWII these days, rather than physically creating life-size replicas for live action shots of everything. I imagine that this would hold true to an even greater extent in the Mak universe, because of the added expenses of space travel and the exotic fuels necessary.

Bah! It doesn't hold up to harsh analysis. Just gotta shrug it off and look at the pretty artwork.

Especially since the game opening sequence would've taken place months before the beginning of the movie. With that much time, there was definitely no time crunch necessitating the depiction of the three as military pilots from the beginning.

It's not a matter of training, it's a matter of rank. Having Max go from fresh recruit to Skull Leader within the timeframe of DYRL would be unreasonable. Having him go from a soldier of unknown rank to Skull Leader is preferable (as absolutely no extra explanations are needed).

CGI would probably be even easier than making a fake ship, or shooting live action shots of the rebuilt Mak.

What year was DYRL made (in real life)? I don't think they were that hip to the uses of CGI just yet. It wouldn't make sense to ask why all sci-fi movies made in the 1980s didn't utilze a technology that is plentiful today... because people in the 1980s wouldn't have seen it coming.

Beyond that your kind of nitpicking non-issues. Why is DYRL SDF-1 different from TV version? Because the animators had a bigger budget and wanted it to look cooler or more serious.

Edited by jenius

Good points jenius. Even the Macross 7 series "rewrite" that occured in 1994, a series that used CG animation in its opening credits, stated that the Bodolza ship seen in the movie was 'really' a Beginhill ship cloaked in holograms. I guess, at the time of Macross 7's production (1993/4), and with what the hologram technology was shown to be capable of in the various Macross series, the producers of Macross opted for that explanation, and chose not to rely on the, at the time, unproven, CG animation.

Just for fun: to revist the existance of the Prometheus in the movie - remember movies like Star Wars IV, and Star Trek II? Both were made a long time before CG inundated the movie making industry. Both resulted in very good looking effects, using nothing more than models, blue screens, hand drawn effects, and optical printers.

The same techniques could apply to the production of the scenes of the Prometheus in the movie. Sets and models. Heck, movies still do that, though the models are rarely physically built, and more and more of the set is filled in with blue screens...