Oh, heard about this. It looks freaking awesome. I don’t mind about the size any more, the other 2 CM Patlabors are just so well built and had so much diecast. My only concern is will the Griffon be able to stand up on its own? The Revoltech had this problem and they were made out of plastic.

Edited by Mowe

Oh, heard about this. It looks freaking awesome. I don’t mind about the size any more, the other 2 CM Patlabors are just so well built and had so much diecast. My only concern is will the Griffon be able to stand up on its own? The Revoltech had this problem and they were made out of plastic.

I don't think it will be a problem as long as the body is diecast and the wings are plastic.

Niiice, there's no way I'm gonna pass this one up. Is the Bud figure part of the deal or is it one of the randomly boxed figures?

I'd say, PROBABLY one of the box figures. None of the Ingrams came with any large pilot figures either.

So who's gonna spring for BOTH winged and underwater versions of Griffon? The winged version definitely looks cooler, but it was the underwater version that finished the fight with Noa's No. 1 and Kanuka's No. 3, after thrashing Ohta's No. 2 – who had made a sacrificial blocking move to give Noa time to escape and recharge her Ingram's batteries.

but it was the underwater version that finished the fight with Noa's No. 1 and Kanuka's No. 3, after thrashing Ohta's No. 2 �" who had made a sacrificial blocking move to give Noa time to escape and recharge her Ingram's batteries.

Er, not quite. Ohta's Patlabor was trashed 2 episodes before the final battle when it was dragged into the harbour by the Griffon through one the holes he shot in the bridge after one of his usual displays of stupidity. Kanuka's #3 held off Bud's Griffon while Noa's Alphose had it's batteries changed.

Edited by thegunny

I wasnt going to venture into a whole new line of figures but I had to go ahead and get 1 and 2 , 1 and 3 as well.

Mind telling us what the differences are between the two again? I have the Ingram 1&2 and I was wondering if Ingram 1&3 was really worth getting.

• 3 weeks later...

just got mine today . i havent opened them yet I probably wont get to until later this week

is there anything I should be carefull about? Qc issues or fragile parts?

and i finally got the SOC Zanbot man the box is huge as well as the ex chogokin getter robo 1. I wont get to open theses until later this week

I've had no problems with my trio yet, but then again, I handled real carefully from the start because they were so expensive.

1. General QC

Has been pretty good except for one reported case of an obviously scuffed/damaged paint job that slipped thru the factory. Haven't read any cases of missing parts or non-working LEDS so far.

2. Backpack cover

A few owners have reported accidentally breaking the backpack cover when accessing the battery and slot-lever for raising/lowering the pilot seat. Exercise care.

3. Cloth shrouds

As you play and pose the toy, the cloth shrouds may work their way out of the housings, but you can push them back quite easily.

4. Loose shield

Some have said the heavy diecast shield may tend to fall off. Check yours for loose fit (mine are really tight) and if necessary, thicken the peg or use blutac/double-side adhesive tape to secure it.

5. Collar antenna

The only really fragile part IMO. It doesn't attach firmly and is easily knocked off. I didn't hestate to glue it in place but of course, that means if I drop or mishandle the toy the antenna may snap off instead.

6. Optional chest patrol lights

These tiny pieces of plastic let you choose whether to have the lights up OR closed down flush. If you choose to have them closed, haha! You may find it next to impossible prying them out in the future. For now, all my Ingrams have the lights popped out.

7. Paint chipping

These ARE expensive PAINTED diecast toys! You need to be careful when posing them to avoid chipping the beautiful paint job. The most obvious areas to look out for: The front & top of the knee guards; Edges of the feet; Tops of the hip guards and waist armor.

If it sounds like it's hard to enjoy this toy, it isn't; I really love them and simply want to be able to show them off in great condition for many years from now. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

i checked out the peacemaker online , i cant recall what store it was ....HLJ perhaps , theres preorder there and it says fixed posed model . was or is there another release of these that supposed to be fixed pose b/c that pic looks like plastic to me.

and is the Gaiking and the Raiking all plastic also

yep hlj

http://www.hlj.com/product/CMS65143

http://www.hlj.com/product/CMS65146

gaiking

http://www.hlj.com/product/CMS65146

raiking

http://www.hlj.com/product/CMS65140

Your links are for the 2 up-coming soft-vinyl figures of the ASUKA MPL-96 / SSL-96... which are definitely limited-pose items. The AV-0 shown in the bottom right is the article's 'scoop'... the very start of the mag's coverage of this item.

Note also that it is the production model 'Peacemaker' as seen in the TV/OVA series, not the more sinister looking prototype AVX-0 'Type Zero' of the first movie. While the header mentions 'ACTION FIGURE...', the sculpt looks to have a fuctional gun storage compartment under the left chest, and the Stun Stick accessory next to the extended 'slasher hand' looks pretty much identical to the current one for the Ingram. So I would say that it isn't just a Revoltech prototype that managed to sneak onto a feature article about CM's Corp's Patlabor toys :-)

OTOH, I do hope the 'slasher hand' gimmick is fully enclosed in the forearm and not just a swap-out piece like on the Revoltech 'Zero', but regardless, it'll be a must-have on my list. I'm already curious if CM's will put out a movie Zero as well: Head, shoulders, forearms, waist, leg, feet AND shield are all subtly different from the Peacemaker; there are almost no shared parts except maybe for the shape of the chest and the internal skeleton!

Edited by drifand

If CMs saw it fit to make the obscure Peacemaker, it'll just be a matter of time before the Zero makes an appearance. I just don't know if I should get two Peacemakers to give the Griffon some company. ^_^

Hmmm, a die cast Zero. I wonder if CMs could still pull off the working lights considering a Zero has some real skinny lights compared to an Ingram.

OK, here's a cold, hard alternate take on the actual text accompanying the AV-0 'scoop':

It may really be more of an ACTION FIGURE than a true Brave Gokin. It will use more plastic and PVC, but may still be in the same scale as the current line-up.

Methinks it's an attempt to make a more affordable continuation for the Patlabor toys – a mid-range series between the expensive all-diecast figures, and the 'quite expensive' but no-features sofubi series. Makes sense when the rest of the line-up can't really be sold as premium repaints. I hope the eventual product will meet or exceed the finishing for the current CM's Votoms series... My guess is the pricing will be in the 7-8000 yen range.

As an aside, I was measuring my two sofubi labors for entry into my Filemaker database. I think the actual scale is closer to 1/46... not 1/48 as I believed earlier:

HL-96 Tyrant 2000

Actual Height: 8.20m | Toy Height: 18cm

Scale: 1/45.56

KV-98 Pickel-Kun

Actual Height: 10.56m | Toy Height: 23cm

Scale: 1/45.91

AV-98 Ingram (with head tilted down for max. antenna height)

Actual Height: 8.02m | Toy Height: 17.3cm

Scale: 1/46.35

The initial problem with determining the Ingram's height was due to the number of ways the head could be positioned, resulting in the antennae topping off at different heights.

Edited by drifand

• 4 weeks later...

I would SO like to finish my review of the Griffon but my work load has simply gobbled up all my free time. It's an excellent toy and I dare say it's even better than the Ingram because of the superlative leg design. The cockpit detail is really nice and the way everything just slides open so smoothly is pure mecha joy.

Biggest wish? That the eyes had some kind of 'light pipe' so that it would appear lit-up when there's an overhead light source. I'm definitely getting the Aqua-Unit as well just so that I can customise the head with this feature.

• 2 months later...

No, no Griffon review... and a bit of bad (if not unexpected) news: The Aqua Unit Griffon is a Japan-only limited release. My favorite local dealer has explained that he tried to obtain a small quantity of it for sale but was turned down flat by the suppliers. If anyone is hardcore enough, you'll probably need a 3rd party service like CELGA to get one of these wet puppies.

So... no spare head to modify. :-/

Meanwhile, I HAVE gotten the latest 2 soft vinyl labors from CM's... the ASUKA-SSL96 / MPL-96 TAISYO. Very nice looking but absolutely unposeable figures at around 5,000 yen each. The 'standard' worker color only has a 300 piece run... so I decided to customise my TV-color Taisyo instead. Check out my review on TBDX:

http://toyboxdx.com/brog/?p=610

post-75-1193166156_thumb.jpg

No, no Griffon review... and a bit of bad (if not unexpected) news: The Aqua Unit Griffon is a Japan-only limited release. My favorite local dealer has explained that he tried to obtain a small quantity of it for sale but was turned down flat by the suppliers. If anyone is hardcore enough, you'll probably need a 3rd party service like CELGA to get one of these wet puppies.

That sucks. Have any pictures of the toy or box art surfaced? When is it scheduled to be released?

Chet,

The Aqua Unit Griffon has already been out for about a month. If you visit CM's page for the normal Griffon, there are links to Japanese online stores that stock the limited edition toy. But of course, they won't ship internationally.

Vhunter D,

Yes, the joints are shrouded with velvet-y cloth. The upcoming same-scale, non-diecast action figure for the production AV-0 Peacemaker will also feature similar cloth covered joints. Almost every previous Patlabor toy/model used PVC/rubber covers that either restricted joint movement (tendency to pull back the limbs into a neutral pose), or interacted badly with styrene joints (ala early VF-0A o-ring arm tragedy). The velvet tends to photograph badly but looks fine in person.

Chet,

The Aqua Unit Griffon has already been out for about a month. If you visit CM's page for the normal Griffon, there are links to Japanese online stores that stock the limited edition toy. But of course, they won't ship internationally.

Too bad. Saw a picture on the site. Would have been nice to get one.

Chet,

Vhunter D,

Yes, the joints are shrouded with velvet-y cloth. The upcoming same-scale, non-diecast action figure for the production AV-0 Peacemaker will also feature similar cloth covered joints. Almost every previous Patlabor toy/model used PVC/rubber covers that either restricted joint movement (tendency to pull back the limbs into a neutral pose), or interacted badly with styrene joints (ala early VF-0A o-ring arm tragedy). The velvet tends to photograph badly but looks fine in person.

Yeah, I remember hearing stories of those joint covers eroding the plastic joints on the old Bandai kits. Fortunately, I haven't seen this happen to my Labors. That's too bad about the aqua Griffon, though.

• 1 month later...