No worries, it's nice to be reminded there is a new series on the way. I did enjoy the short episode they released last year and if it's more of the same I'm cool with that. I'm still not sure if it's a total reset of the timeline or a continuation.

Nice custom work!

Tyrant arrived today. I actually didn't want this one as I never found the construction-labors-committing-crimes aspect of the show all that interesting but it is quite sturdy and I rather like it "in person". Also with each new figure I am less impressed by how flimsy the Ingrams feel; the Tyrant feels much denser and more durable. He also looks better in virtually any position; the Ingrams take a lot of posing to get them to not look like a cheap toy; the Brocken, Saturn, and Tyrant look much nicer in any pose in my opinion. Only thing I would avoid is raising up the torso, the piece connecting the upper and lower segments doesn't feel like it will endure a lot of manipulation so I'm keeping mine squashed down. I bought two back when NY's preorder price was ~$90; kind of wish I'd gotten a third one like I usually do.

Tyrant1.JPG

Tyrant2.JPG

Tyrant3.JPG

I don't know if this has already been covered in this thread but can anyone offer their opinion on the various Bandai 1/35 Patlabor kits and how they compare to a MG Gundam kit?

For reference I have built many MG & PG kits and prefer to go with the newer version 2.0 kits where I can - some of the older MG's for example leave me a bit cold and the Patlabor kits despite technically being MG are from that older era.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Stemp Fester said:

I don't know if this has already been covered in this thread but can anyone offer their opinion on the various Bandai 1/35 Patlabor kits and how they compare to a MG Gundam kit?

For reference I have built many MG & PG kits and prefer to go with the newer version 2.0 kits where I can - some of the older MG's for example leave me a bit cold and the Patlabor kits despite technically being MG are from that older era.

Thanks.

I don't have have Bandai's 1/35 Patlabor kits. I owned and build some MG kits from 2002-2007. But based on what year these Patlabor kits has been released which is around 2001-2002. If you're familiar with MG RX-78-2 ver.1.5, then I think it's more in-line with that kit. It was already advanced back then compared to the ver.1 release from 1995. And based on what you mentioned that you prefer ver.2.0 kits onwards, I don't think you'll enjoy this like you said old MG kits leave you a bit cold. Or you can get the 1/48 one released last 2014. Though it's the live movie version one. However, if you're one that likes customizing and detailing up the kits, then I can say that you can do a lot on this old kits and make it awesome. ^_^

If you're not familiar with Dalong's site, here's some reviews from all the 1/35 released kits. You can use Google Translate since everything is in Korean. Hope that helps. ;)

http://dalong.net/review/mg/ing_sp/isp.htm

8 hours ago, Stemp Fester said:

Thanks.

hi there. didn't know there's a patlabor thread here.

i just built a 1/35 Patlabor recently i give you abit of insight:

1.Design wise IMO it's the best available Ingram in the market. The proportion might not be as accurate but definitely best looking. many times the Ingram looks bulky in the shows like the vintage Patlabor DX. Downside is the cockpit cannot be lowered as is permanently Up.

2.Poseability is limited by the rubber sleeves and armor spacings & lack of additional articulations. It's impossible to remove the nub marks and seam lines. you can only paint it using weathering powder and AB thin layers of clear flat on it. Anything else it would most likely crack when you handle them. You are stuck with fixed hands and the articulated hands are only good for gun griping. There is an elusive Manipulator upgrade upgrade pack from B-Club but i have not seen them outside Shaft Enterprise. Chest cockpit can be opened.

3.There is no full inner frame. i don't see any reason why because it's mostly covered by the armor & sleeves. Most joints are tightened using screws which is good. Only few parts like neck/cockpit/right wrist/right leg/feet has exposed frame that you need to paint (if you are going to paint them). Also the nub marks are located at obvious places so you'll have to sand them to look good.

4.Fitting can be abit loose/tight if you paint them. The Ingram 3 has bad fitting on the shoulder armor that leaves a big gap that requires putty (spacing on the shoulder lights section too narrow). The Chest section leaves a small gap between the white & black piece (even pro modelers have this issue). Not really noticeable since the lower piece is black. Lower Right leg revolver compartment has a big gap around the opening area and it's hard to get it fully opened. If you paint, the compressed stun stick might be too tight to fit the shield so you need to sand the holster, same goes for the Revolver clip. Orange shoulder light might be too tight if you paint. Head & Chest Antennas, Knee armor might be abit loose so you might want to glue them up. Rubber sleeves abit tricky to install you have to slot the sleeves into position before assembling the armors. Glue is needed to keep the shoulder sleeves together with the plastic round frame. It's easy to misalign the inner part of the shoulder lights so make sure they are in position before snapping the armor together.

5.There are Flash unit upgrade parts available in the WXIII Ingram 2 & Ingram Special box set which is compatible with normal Ingrams. you just need to use the LED set & back piece that came with the set. The non-LED parts are also included with all the sets. Installing the LED onto the shoulder part can be tricky especially if you putty & paint it. Even on the promo pics they did not putty the seams like they did with the non-LED release. Suggest cutting the armors out so you can post install the LED after putty & paint. it has 4 LED on front & 2 LED on rear for each side, the 2032 battery compartment & switch is located inside the backpack, you need to remove the black lower part of the back pack (clip on) to reach the battery & switch. You can check how they work on youtube.

6.All except Ingram Special Box comes with dry transfer & sticker type decal (J9 comes with dry transfer only). The dry transfer is very difficult to apply due to many curvy parts. I only managed to use the dry transfer on the shoulder, shield & backpack, for the rest i used the water decals from special box. Special Box set comes with Precut Water Slide decals for all 3 units. you have enough decals for all 3 Ingrams except the "Shinohara" tummy name plate (you get 2). Note it comes with parts for all 3 Ingrams but you can only build 1 complete Ingram with the box set. Box set comes with special high gloss finishing.

This is the kind of kit that you need to paint few small areas to look good. WXIII Ingram 3 comes with different face armor than Normal & Special Box & they came with full transparent face armor so you have to paint white & semi-clear green on it. All pilot & figures come unpainted so you have to paint them as well. some clear parts come unpainted so you need clear orange & clear green. also gunmetal for the crotch tow wires.

Normal 1 & 2  & Reactive Armors (1, 2+3), EX Command Car & another EX model are sold out, WXIII, Special Box, Ingram 3 & Griffon Flight & Aqua are still available. Special Box is a must have for it's water slide decals & patlamp flash unit. it also has enough spares to convert any ingram to any other if you can't find for example Ingram 3 you can convert Ingram 2 to 3 after building a full ingram. Main difference are the shoulder armors & head. Also Reactive Armor 2+3 comes with different unit 3 Head (movie ver) that is used in the Patlabor PSOne Game on normal Ingram 3 body. Each release comes with some different 1/35 human figure(s), you have to get Special Box, Reactive Armor 1, 2+3, Griffon both types & Command Car to get all the figures available.

B-Club also released 2 rare conversion kits for Early Days OVA Ingram 1 & 2. Patlamb flash unit was also sold separately.

No comments on Griffon yet as it's still under construction. I read there might be some fitting issue on the leg armor.

If you are interested, "Patlabor Model Works Memories" has a rather detailed information on them and has alot of great mods from famous modelers in Japan. It's an updated version of the Patlabor 3D from 2002. There's also Patlabor 3D Show vol 1,2,3, Diorama book that covers older bandai kits.

When you look back at it, it's pretty impressive what Oldskool modellers can do with the less superior old kits. you can also see how the modelling & painting techniques has evolved over time.

Overall. If you like Mechs, Patlabor kit is something you should not miss despite it's short comings.

Edited by potatotomato

On 7/28/2017 at 5:59 PM, SaitouSad said:

Really want this because I own all of the Yamatos.. but pity it's just a static Vinyl kit...a major minus for me...
And one I'll have to paint myself too, which I sorely lack the skills for...(though I could just coat a base, and spray an even coat with  can since it's mostly black, grey and white). 

it's a reissue of the oldskool vinyl kit, you have to cut the parts out from the mold and sand before you start painting and i think you have to assemble them 1st or risk cracking the paint when you assemble it up. the lights are all non-transparent and you think we're in 2017 they could have at least given us transparent parts for that kind of price tag.

On 7/29/2017 at 1:07 AM, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Its pose is not even that great.  If it was throwing a strike of some sort I'd get one to dance with my Ingrams, but as it is, it's just boring.

It's got me thinking though:  how would one go about dissecting it and using the pieces for a custom "skeleton" of sorts to make a full action custom figure.  Maybe by using a MG Gundam kit internal frame and cloth bits for the joints?  Meh, just another expensive project I'd have no time for.

1/24 stands around 12"? might be able to get a 1/6 action figure body wearing black jumpsuit and put the armors on it.

23 hours ago, potatotomato said:

it's a reissue of the oldskool vinyl kit, you have to cut the parts out from the mold and sand before you start painting and i think you have to assemble them 1st or risk cracking the paint when you assemble it up. the lights are all non-transparent and you think we're in 2017 they could have at least given us transparent parts for that kind of price tag.

I wish Kaiyodo would reissue their old 1/35 Patlabor vinyl kits (even though I already own most of them). They had the Brocken, TV Ingram 1-3, movie Ingrams, Helldiver, Zero, and Griffin. Most of those had better poses than their 1/24 Zero.

Speaking of old 1/35 vinyl kits, B-Club also did several: Ingram, Economy (both versions in one box), SRX-70 (both proto and production versions in one box), and AV-0.

On 9/7/2017 at 2:12 AM, Salamander said:

I wish Kaiyodo would reissue their old 1/35 Patlabor vinyl kits (even though I already own most of them). They had the Brocken, TV Ingram 1-3, movie Ingrams, Helldiver, Zero, and Griffin. Most of those had better poses than their 1/24 Zero.

Speaking of old 1/35 vinyl kits, B-Club also did several: Ingram, Economy (both versions in one box), SRX-70 (both proto and production versions in one box), and AV-0.

i wish they rerelease those SD vinyl kits. i know we have the much superior D-Style but those old SD kits looks cute.

3 hours ago, ZorClone said:

Sorry this isn't on current topic regarding the Bandai products but has anyone had any luck fixing a 1/24 yamato floppy waist joint?

I opened mine up carefully and added nail polish years ago. My Ingram hasn't flopped back  / forth since, but I've kept it in the same pose for quite a while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2017 at 9:45 AM, ZorClone said:

The Pit Road 1/24 car is available at Amazon 3rd party for about $62 right now https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8D0T4W/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just FYI that is most likely the unpainted, unfinished model for that price. I have the completed, prepainted one and it is beautiful; main issue is Shinobu doesn't really stand on the car's rim like that and I had to position her on the base with the door open as if she was stepping out. Also Shinge slides off the back easily so I stuck him with the rear antenna between his legs and he stays on. Maybe I was supposed to glue them on but would rather not so I just use these work-arounds. Great set though, highly recommended for serious fans of the series.

• 2 months later...

I just got my Web-shop Ingram 3 in.

Was surprised to see it also came with Ingram Unit 1-style head and shoulderpads so that you can have the early Unit 3.

I might buy another Ingram 1 cheap off amazon just so that I can display unit 3 early type. Sure the tiny license plate will be off but whatev :0

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to sleep instead of giving into pre-order madness last night, but I was happy to find that the Griffon went up for pre-order. Did anyone else here pick it up? I did on my lunch break. LoL. It seems to be flying under the radar. The marketing shots don't show a layout of included parts, but it has a nice damaged Ingram 2 head as a bonus, which is pretty neat. 

58 minutes ago, technoblue said:

I decided to sleep instead of giving into pre-order madness last night, but I was happy to find that the Griffon went up for pre-order. Did anyone else here pick it up? I did on my lunch break. LoL. It seems to be flying under the radar. The marketing shots don't show a layout of included parts, but it has a nice damaged Ingram 2 head as a bonus, which is pretty neat. 

Got mine in, thanks for the heads up!

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

Nabbed mine at HLJ, thanks for the heads up. Zero pressure on the PO for this, same as the rest of the Side Labor line, I hope that's not a bad sign. I honestly didn't even know it went up for PO and I had zero issue getting one, as Duymon said, we NEED to keep this line going!

Man, I forget where I saw the link but someone posted the March 1 pre-orders from the Tamashii site. I think that's how I found out, and then I just couldn't stay awake so I was pretty stoked when the pre-orders were still up early this afternoon. I don't know if that's due to it being a Robot Damashii or what. I've also noticed that HM-R pre-orders can hang open a day or two if they are not Macross/Macross main characters.

Anyway, happy to get the word out. These labors are fun. B))