Graham's Review of Yamato 1/60 Scale YF-19

Graham

Do I detect a not so subtle dig for information? :rolleyes:

I'll definitely be doing another big review for something sooner than 9 months hopefully.

Graham

11B, *sigh* one can only hope :p

Great review BTW, looking forward to mine getting here. This bad boy might live most of his life in fighter after seeing your images, it looks most awesome (bill&ted?) in fighter lol.

I still hope (but don't expect) Yamato to offer a new "foream inner half" or "gunpod handle" separately when the fix is done for version 2. Seriously, at most ONE piece is the problem---it's either the gunpod's handle, or one of the forearm pieces with the peg on it.

They'd sell a zillion, and marked up to probably 1000 Yen for a 10-Yen piece of plastic, they'd make a decent amount of money, and all the 1st-release owners would be happy to have a "real fix" as opposed to "hacking away at the plastic to kinda make it work".

Maybe there could be a big MW group buy or something. "We want 250 revised left inner forearms, please".

PS--is it "handle" on a gunpod, or grip? Is there any defined terminology for a gunpod, or do we just apply the best gun terms we can? Trigger, barrel, and magazine are pretty obvious, but handle vs grip, and muzzle?

Bloody aith, It may be a simply problem to fix but dammit it looks patheitc.

I don't want my gunpod pumpin rounds into the left intake side. >_< I reckon it's the handle that will be needin the mod.

Oo Oo, and can the wings be swept back Graham???????

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Bloody aith, It may be a simply problem to fix but dammit it looks patheitc.

I don't want my gunpod pumpin rounds into the left intake side. >_< I reckon it's the handle that will be needin the mod.

Oo Oo, and can the wings be swept back Graham???????

He's already said that they can't be swept back.

-Kyp

But MAN, CROOKED GUNPOD!? That's f'd up.

I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to Yamato's products-a loose limb or wing here or there doesn't bother me, but a crooked gunpod might make me consider waiting for a fix, either from the factory or the customizers...

Thanks for the great review Graham.

I'm really happy to hear that there won't be any 1st run loose joint syndrom on the YF-19.

As of now two things bug/irritate me with the Yf-19.

First, this unsightly gap. Can this be fixed in any way?

IPB Image

Second, amputated Pilots. I not a fan of this and really thought it was a thing of the past.

I realise the pilot figure has nothing to do with the YF-19 itself, but considering they spent so much time developing it you would of thought a full body pilot figure that fits should have been a piece of cake!?

Aside from those two things, this valk looks so cool... especially battroid mode.

PS: Quick, somebody make a pick of a YF-19 beating up a 1/55 Toynami...

Edited by lechuck

You mean the gap between the top of the nose & the chest plate? I don't think so as there is a support bar that runs across the inside of the chest plate that prevents the chest plate going any lower.

Hi again,

first of all, thanks for your quick answer. Well, lechuck has posted the picture I was trying to talk about. That gap is not a big deal, or something I can't live with... But 18800 yen... you know... :unsure:

Have you tried to tool around, as with the first VF-11B? :p

Anyway, mine is on its way here... :ph34r:

mcpaz

Graham, thanks for the in-depth review; it is greatly informative and appreciated.

As tempted as I am to get this toy right now, I think I'll wait for the second run version with all the fixes. It's not so much that the current release has flaws (compared to the VF-0S they look mild), but that, at around $200.00, I want to be more selective with my purchases and make sure that what I get for my money is as close to perfect as I can possibly get.

Hey everyone,

LONG time lurker, first time poster.

First, I just want to say thanks to Graham for the in-depth review. I've been a Macross fan since I was a kid, and Mac + is my favorite series. I've been waiting on an improved YF-19 design for years, and it's finally here. Yamato's design is fantastic and blows everything I've seen out of the water including those custom variable Hasegawas. Excellent job Yamato. The Gerwalk mode came out especially fantastic. ...Best mode of the three.

Now for some cons:

#1 - That crooked gun pod is definitely an issue for me. I actually cancelled my HLJ preorder over it. [i hope I don't regret that decision.]

But I promise that I will be the first one back on the bandwagon for the second run when the gun pod issue is solved.

#2 - My biggest YF-19 concern is in regards to the wings in Gerwalk mode. I've read through Graham's review and this seems to be one of the few things he doesn't address. Is there anything to prevent the wings from freely pivoting about in the wing roots? Floppy wings would be undesirable. See attached pic:

IPB Image

#3 - I'm a tad disappointed that there is no lock/snap/latch for the torso in Battroid. I can live without one, but it would be nice to be able to hold the Battroid upside down to adjust the feet, or whatever, without the torso flopping off.

#4 - And finally, out of all the gaps, these ones bug me the most:

IPB Image

I can live with them, but I have to admit, they are unsightly flaws in an otherwise flawless Fighter mode. I can understand why gaps exist in other areas, like the hips for example, but these seem like they could've been solved so easily. It's as if Yamato simply made the shoulder connecters too small.

Oh well, I'm just nitpicking at this point because this baby is so close to being 100% perfect in every way.

The only thing that truly bothers me is the crooked gun pod.

Thanks for reading, and if anyone with a YF19 in their hands could give me some feedback on my Gerwalk floppy wings query, I'd much appreciate it.

Edited by Vic Mancini

Overall, I'm glad I have this on preorder with HLJ(with early-bird discount no less). I am dissapointed with the crooked gunpod in fighter mode. My VF-0S has the same problem. How soon can we expect a fix for this as it now seems that I'll have 2 VFs to correct? Would snipping whichever peg is off centered be the best solution?

Edited by Mechwolf

Actually, after reading very carefully I have doubled my resolve to wait out this Ver 1.0. It's all for the love of the YF-19, really.

Graham's review clearly shows the first release YF-19 to be much more solid than the VF-0S. Like with the VF-0 line, I think Yamato will probably release a different color variant before going back to this M+ YF-19 meaning a rerelease could be a long way off. As this is my favorite version of the 19 I'm not prepared to wait that long so I'll order one as soon as I have the necessary funds. I'll try to wait for the Ghost release before ordering the YF-19 to cut the cost of shipping. (If I can hold out that long :wacko: )

I'm probably going to make a transformation guide for the YF-19. I'm leaning towards a video rather than still photos, mainly cus it will be quicker for me to make.

Looking at the pics in the transformation guide a video would work best IMHO.

Heh, I'll have to talk to Yamato to see if I can get permission. My photo archives have some very interesting pics of things that never made it to production..

So you have lots of pics of previously unreleased Yamato products on your harddrive?

Would you be so kind as to give me your IP please?...

;) j/k

I'll definitely be doing another big review for something sooner than 9 months hopefully.

I sure hope Eugimon is the prophet...

I'll try to wait for the Ghost release before ordering the YF-19 to cut the cost of shipping. (If I can hold out that long )

Seriously, I need the 0S 2nd edition or something to come out so I can make a bulk purchase :(. I get the feeling by the time the next Yammy toy gets released (Urban GBP, Shin 0A?) I'm going to start to want to wait for the 2nd edition of the YF-19 :(

Hey everyone,

First, I just want to say thanks to Graham for the in-depth review. I've been a Macross fan since I was a kid, and Mac + is my favorite series. I've been waiting on an improved YF-19 design for years, and it's finally here. Yamato's design is fantastic and blows everything I've seen out of the water including those custom variable Hasegawas. Excellent job Yamato. The Gerwalk mode came out especially fantastic. ...Best mode of the three.

Now for some cons:

#1 - That crooked gun pod is definitely an issue for me. I actually cancelled my HLJ preorder over it. [i hope I don't regret that decision.]

But I promise that I will be the first one back on the bandwagon for the second run when the gun pod issue is solved.

This one bugs me too. Although I don't think fixing it myself would be a problem, I would rather not have to...specially at its price range.

#2 - My biggest YF-19 concern is in regards to the wings in Gerwalk mode. I've read through Graham's review and this seems to be one of the few things he doesn't address. Is there anything to prevent the wings from freely pivoting about in the wing roots? Floppy wings would be undesirable. See attached pic:

<image removed>

I think Graham did mention that there was no stop to prevent the wings from pivoting too far forward and that doing so could over-stress the wing gloves' pivot points. So, yes, the wings will be able to rotate just as you illustrated but I have no clue about potential floppiness.

#3 - I'm a tad disappointed that there is no lock/snap/latch for the torso in Battroid. I can live without one, but it would be nice to be able to hold the Battroid upside down to adjust the feet, or whatever, without the torso flopping off.

Not a deal breaker here, but some way to lock the torso would have been nice.

#4 - And finally, out of all the gaps, these ones bug me the most:

<image removed>

I can live with them, but I have to admit, they are unsightly flaws in an otherwise flawless Fighter mode. I can understand why gaps exist in other areas, like the hips for example, but these seem like they could've been solved so easily. It's as if Yamato simply made the shoulder connecters too small.

I believe that these are not a gaps, but relieves to allow the shoulders to tilt up to replicate an accurate battroid stance. Yamato's solution was to tilt the shoulders at the rotator cuff point and not the fuselage's swing points. However, I could be wrong... someone with a YF-19 in hand would be better suited to verifying this.

Oh well, I'm just nitpicking at this point because this baby is so close to being 100% perfect in every way.

The only thing that truly bothers me is the crooked gun pod.

Thanks for reading, and if anyone with a YF19 in their hands could give me some feedback on my Gerwalk floppy wings query, I'd much appreciate it.

Hey, don't fret about nitpicking; it's the prerogative of any prospective consumer to point out the good and the bad, perceived or actual, of any product costing as much as this one does. And welcome aboard as a contributing member... and a very good first post. :)

Edited by mechaninac

Graham - a very good and thorough review as ever. You have more patience than I do, I don't think I'd be able to do a review in that level of detail.

I'm a bit disappointed to here that the -19 has problems with the way its gunpod lies in Fighter mode. It's the same problem as my -0S has - as a result of which the -0S' gunpod sits on an impromptu stand along with my -11's. I was hoping that the problem with the gunpod was going to be perculiar to the -0 but it looks like not.

It isn't going to stop me picking up the -19 when I can afford it in the New Year. There's room on the rack for a third gunpod, and the review - and especially the lovely pictures - have convinced me that this definitely does justice to one of my favourite VFs.

Karl

Graham thanks for the review of the toy, although I actually read it after I had the toy and tried to transform it for the first time, it was a fun review which in my opinion points "problem" areas that for me at least, are nothing that big a deal. This is PERFECT toy in every way. Some people are complaining and pointing things from the pictures of the review but after having it in your hands all fears will be lost and nothing but full satistaction will follow, at least for me.

Anyways, my concern is the following:

Could you please describe me in detail (or maybe give me some pointers) on how to turn the small wings near the cockpit down? One had no problems but the other one just doesnt want to go down and Im afraid of breaking it (although I know it is made of some special strong plastic and there are replacements in the box).

The next thing is how to "break" the section of the neck of the plane when turning into battroid. I stayed on this part of the transformation and just gave up afraid of any possible break. The instructions in the manual just show an arrow going down but it doesnt help me at all. The part Im talking about is in this picture on the first image.

IPB Image

If you could help me with this I would appreciate it since I really want to turn it into robot mode.

graham, by removabkle engine covers, did u meanm the front intakes?

And any chance u could take a pic of the head with the head armour on but the visor off?

Last question; have u tried putting on the split kite sticker yet? I just want to make sure that it all lines up where it is supposed too...

Thanx a lot for the review man, I appreciate it, as do we all Im sure.

Hmm, I just noticed no pivoting pilot seat either. I assumed the YF-19 wouldn't need one, but this pic clearly shows that Isamu is facing skyward in Battroid....

Not a deal breaker for me as I intend to leave mine in Fighter mode, but it would have been nice for Yamato to continue that trend. :(

IPB Image

Thanks Graham for the great review!

However, I have a question. When you said the knee caps dont swivel down, does that mean the lower half of the legs cannot rotate?

from looking at your pictures, it seems like the lower part of the legs can rotate, but wont the knee caps be in the way during the rotation? :mellow:

As of now two things bug/irritate me with the Yf-19.

First, this unsightly gap. Can this be fixed in any way?

Second, amputated Pilots. I not a fan of this and really thought it was a thing of the past.

I realise the pilot figure has nothing to do with the YF-19 itself, but considering they spent so much time developing it you would of thought a full body pilot figure that fits should have been a piece of cake!?

Aside from those two things, this valk looks so cool... especially battroid mode.

Yes, the gap can be closed, by squeezing the sides of the rear of the chest plate together, but the left side backpack pegs tends to work it's way partially out after time.

Unfortunately, the cockpit is very cramped, soo no room for Isamu's feet.

Graham

[

The wings pivot joints (where the wings pivot in the wing gloves) are stiff enough that the wings do not freely pivot. Not sure where you got that idea. They are certainly not floppy.

Graham

graham, by removabkle engine covers, did u meanm the front intakes?

Last question; have u tried putting on the split kite sticker yet? I just want to make sure that it all lines up where it is supposed too...

Yes, removable intake covers.

Yes, the split kite sticker is alraedy applied to the toy I used for the battroid photos.

Graham

Anyways, my concern is the following:

Could you please describe me in detail (or maybe give me some pointers) on how to turn the small wings near the cockpit down? One had no problems but the other one just doesnt want to go down and Im afraid of breaking it (although I know it is made of some special strong plastic and there are replacements in the box).

The next thing is how to "break" the section of the neck of the plane when turning into battroid. I stayed on this part of the transformation and just gave up afraid of any possible break. The instructions in the manual just show an arrow going down but it doesnt help me at all. The part Im talking about is in this picture on the first image.

I'll try and get a transformation video done at the weekend.

I don't have a toy infront of me right now, but basically: -

With the cannards, you might find one or both of them a bit tight at first (I did). You need to pulll them out away from the body and then rotate them down. As they may be tight at first a bit of wiggling may be needed initially.

To break the fighter neck, pull forward infront of the parting line while simultaneously pulling rearward tothe rear of the parting line and then break the neck forward. IT'll be easier to show on video.

Graham