Graham's Review of Yamato 1/60 Scale YF-19

Graham

Yay! I just got mine delivered today from HLJ.

LOL, it took me awhile to figure out how to get 'Lil stubby legs Isamu into the cockpit. You really have to cram him in there.

-Ed

I got Mine as well. :D:):)

He is tough to squeeze in there. This is shaping out to be great weekend. Yesterday I got my Aoshima Black Getter and Today I got my 19. I'm in toy nerd heaven. Now I've got to rewatch Grahams Video again.

Thanks again to Yamato for making a kiss A@# 19.

Temjin--except that's not what the YF-19 looks like with the wings back. The pivot point is the same as when transforming. You've basically taken the wings off, and put them back in a different place.

Ah, you're right, I completely missed the pivot point. Don't give up hope on the hi speed mode, leave it as work in progress for now... :D

Just got my shipment of YF-19s in....All I can say is WOW!!! I haven't transformed it yet but in fighter mode, it's huge!!! :) It's nice to see something else out that isn't a VF-1 variant...

Whoah, hey! Are you back in business?!

Just got mine 1hr ago, :D spent about 20min groping it ;) , then turned it over to the wife for wrapping :unsure: , and subsisquent opening Christmas day :angry: !!!!

But I guess its okay what about two more weeks to go till its back in my hands :lol:B)):rolleyes: . . . .

Last Macross toy this year, it kind of sad :unsure: . . .

Well we'll see what comes next year MWHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

Just finished reading the long review. Good work. Pretty much everything I wanted to know about this was covered in it.

Too bad about the lack of ability for swept wings and the floppy torso. I was hoping the toy would be like the bandai vf19 fire and blaze valks where you could tip them upside down or pick them up from the upper chest area.

Oh well there goes the plan to hang them upside down from the ceiling in stylish, acrobatic, zero g, close-range-combat, battroid gunpod-fighter poses. :D (no just joking, I don't really do that. Standing upright as ground combat poses is enough for me.)

Maybe in another 7 years they will have all those complaints adressed.

I'm still young.. :D

When/if they get to the vf11 in 1/60 or aproximate size, I hope they find some way to get the wings to stretch right out to the sides. You can't do it with the 1/72.

edit: so does anyone have any suggestion about how they could make it not have floppy upper torso? I think that is the main thing for me. I would like to have Battroid modes as firmly locked as the fighter mode.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Yo david...what does it look like anyway? You tried it?

As posted an entire page ago, a YF-19 with the wings back looks like this: http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/uns/variable...bur_yf_19_4.jpg

The canon overhead lineart of the YF-19 also marks both the pivot point, and the exact sweep angle: 119.4 degrees back from the "standard" position. (Or, 90 degrees straight back along the leading edge) I often wonder if that drawing/spec was done by Kawamori himself---the sweep angle is given along the quarter-chord for the forward position---which only someone very familiar with jets would know to do that.

I use BBTS for all my Transformers needs, and agree about the outstanding customer service...

HLJ used to have lousy customer service- no contact. no one to talk to you... but now they seem to have become more realiable because I actually got one of them to email me back about a question I had ... so obviously competition helps :) ...

I hope that if I run into problems, HLJ will be helpful, because I would rather buy Macross toys from HLJ than BBTS, since it's cheaper for me.

VFTF1

So should I be worried that I ordered from HLJ? I ordered quiet a big order from them... ordered it with EMS and i hope its insured. I ordered a few and will probably be selln a few of them soon...

So should I be worried that I ordered from HLJ? I ordered quiet a big order from them... ordered it with EMS and i hope its insured. I ordered a few and will probably be selln a few of them soon...

I got my yf-19 from HLJ and ordered a vf-0s before with them too. On both purchases, I've had nothing but perfection. Nothing was broken, or bent, or scratched.

That being said, I guess like any company, you're going to get some good reviews and some bad ones.

Just a quick word on ordering from Japan (e.g. HLJ).

I find that Amenbo is almost always cheaper then HLJ and they let you know immediately if there is stock (there is a running stock count on the web page). Plus they let you know the shipping on the spot based on the shipping method you choose.

Between HLJ and Amenbo, I always go for Amenbo where possible.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

Just a quick word on ordering from Japan (e.g. HLJ).

I find that Amenbo is almost always cheaper then HLJ and they let you know immediately if there is stock (there is a running stock count on the web page). Plus they let you know the shipping on the spot based on the shipping method you choose.

Between HLJ and Amenbo, I always go for Amenbo where possible.

True they're cheaper but their website is hard to navigate. If you can't read the japanese and use their english website it can be a headache in frustration. That said I have ordered from them before and they do provide good and speedy service. HLJ automates practically everything for an easy shopping experience.

Thank god for Grahams video instructions. I would've been stuck on the Gerwalk to Battroid mode if he didn't explain how to do the seperate and angle the fuselage part. That was a scary pain in the ass.

Nice camera work.

In regards to the toy in general, there are some thing I love, and some nitpicks too.

Fighter and Gerwalk look pretty nice overall.

Cons:

Skinny head

Chicken hands

Too many seams in the middle of parts

Big gap in the lower chest, and crotch piece isn't shaped very close to the lineart

Where the outer shoulders meet the inner shoulders there's quite a gap (visible in head on view in fighter mode)

Edited by Pat S

The top brass of MW and Yamato are saying nothing. But it is a given that they are doing the YF-21.

Wow, you really know how to get a girl hot and ready...

HEY GUYS~!

Well i made it to Akihabara after all! and picked me up 2 YF-19s!

I have been moving into the new house, and have been way too busy to even open em up for a play! :(

Problem is one of them is for me bro, and i can't put mine out for display for fear of blowing the kick ass suprise. :lol:

It's for a good cause. :p

I picked up my 19's for about 17,800 i think it was. I'll post the exact later.

Tokyo, what a cool place to shop. :lol: hah! I'll post some pics later promise. Just don't have the time! :(

Gotta love them kawaii jap chicks selling stuff in anime outfits! :p

:edit: one crappy pic of me travelling back to Narita Airport Terminal 2 using the Skyliner with a couple of nice packages!

IPB Image

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Wow! Super jealous of the trip… Macross reports from the field are always great.

Moving sucks.. doing the same… my 19 was out long enough for a quick look in fighter mode and then packed away. Thankfully there are no QC issues that require attention.

Looking forward to the pictures and the anime chicks. B))

HEY GUYS~!

Well i made it to Akihabara after all! and picked me up 2 YF-19s!

I have been moving into the new house, and have been way too busy to even open em up for a play! :( Problem is one of them is for me bro, and i can't put mine out for display for fear of blowing the kick ass suprise. :lol:

It's for a good cause. :p

I picked up my 19's for about 17,800 i think it was. I'll post the exact later.

Tokyo, what a cool place to shop. :lol: hah! I'll post some pics later promise. Just don't have the time! :(

Gotta love them kawaii jap chicks selling stuff in anime outfits! :p

Wow! Super jealous of the trip… Macross reports from the field are always great.

Moving sucks.. doing the same… my 19 was out long enough for a quick look in fighter mode and then packed away. Thankfully there are no QC issues that require attention.

Looking forward to the pictures and the anime chicks. B))

hahah yeah mate, mine is in the santa sack an will be pulled out the moment i wake up Christmas Day. :p

The bro has no idea, hah he will have a heart attack. Only about 7 (6?) days now! :lol:

Oh man i picked up a little Vegeta figure (about 1,100 Y) and he kicks so much ass! SUper poseable.

Got him prep'n the Final Flash, i'll post pics. (got the one big display cabinent which houses all my stuff)

Too bad i only had 3 hours of shopping time there. :( The rest was travelling time and all that awe-jaw

which didn't help me shop. I didn't know what to do! Too many things to buy! GAH!!! lol.

'1' YF-19 is enough, that and the fact i only was able to carry so much boarding the plane. :angry::mellow:

('2' YF-19's, '1' bronze flavour Tandem Twin big titty chick figure for me bro, and the little Vegeta figure)

Next time i go there i will not have so much stuff going over, and bring back a couple of cases of stuff!

I saw the VF-Zero's posed everywhere, they look awesome, but i am waiting for Shin's coming soon.

Garlands, GBP colour variants, Gundams, sexy figurines, Gundams, Scope Doggies, more Gundams....

Lots of stuffs! But not stuff that i needed to own. I am happy with the YF-19, that will do. Yep i'm good. lol

I was just so happy i could actually have the time to go shopping there. Just WOW. :ph34r:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Maybe one of the mods should start a pinned thread for people to post their pic of hauls and trips.

Looking forward to seeing yours ruskiiVFaussie.

Yeah it would be a cool idea. I was going to open my own one up but just haven't the time, i thought

this thread would be enough. :p I have alot of videos i took using my mobile that i could print screen

pics from but who the hell has time for that?! :lol: In a couple of days i hope i will have more time an

tell yas about the trip more. It was really bloody cool. Japan Rocks!

Atleast now i know EXACTLY where to go for my next trip, might take a while but the next one will be

a biggie. YF-21 1/60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111 maybe. :D

Congrats on your trip ruskii. At least with 3 hours in akiba, you get to see more or less how shopping for toys is like there. There's so much that you wanna buy but so lil cash. :lol:

Anyway picked mine up today.

QC: Pretty good overall, just the crooked gunpod which isn't as bad as the ones on Graham's pics. If i don't press the gunpod too hard into the "bad peg" , it won't be crooked.

Overall it looks awesome as a toy in all 3 modes. I don't know what mode to pose it in. And generally I say you guys suckat posing this thing. :lol: If my digital camera wasn't out of commision, i'll show you guys what I mean.

The YF-19 is really durable, and the plastic "bends" easily without stressing it as some parts require you to apply abit of force to get it off its pegs.

My main qualms about the toy is as some people mentioned, it doesn't hold well together in gerwalk and battroid mode. The chest area is heavy and thus relies on gravity to be in the correct position. So no upside down matrix poses for you. I find this quite bad because i was quite impressed by all cleverly placed pegs that hold the fighter mode tightly together. But sadly there are no pegs or clamps that hold the gerwalk and battroid modes together. While transforming from gerwalk to battroid, the chest flopped backwards and i almost got a heart attack when the "backpack" hinge came off due to gravity, splitting my YF-19 into upper and lower torso. Nothing was broken due to the durable and bendable plastic though.

Oh well...this toy would be great if it were cheaper. Anyway since it doesn't have much panel lines, i'm gonna panel and sticker it up soon. ;)

Warning!!

Be careful in transforming the general cockpit area as it puts quite alot of stress on the toy.

I did as Graham did on the toy pushing the cockpit area back and then down. But trying to get it done caused heavy stress marks on one of the two grey pieces fastened in by screws. Picture below: the area above the circles. Notice the two black screws? I now have several white marks leading vertically under it.

After transforming it I sanded down a bit the two little square blocks that caused the resistance. Those are circled in the picture posted. I recommend that when you transform, place your thumb on the grey pieces, securing it in place, clearing the white block.

post-233-1166477724_thumb.jpg

Warning!!

Be careful in transforming the general cockpit area as it puts quite alot of stress on the toy.

I did as Graham did on the toy pushing the cockpit area back and then down. But trying to get it done caused heavy stress marks on one of the two grey pieces fastened in by screws. Picture below: the area above the circles. Notice the two black screws? I now have several white marks leading vertically under it.

After transforming it I sanded down a bit the two little square blocks that caused the resistance. Those are circled in the picture posted. I recommend that when you transform, place your thumb on the grey pieces, securing it in place, clearing the white block.

Yeah, that's the part I had the most trouble with when transforming the blood thing. Did the sanding help the problem?

Nice camera work.

In regards to the toy in general, there are some thing I love, and some nitpicks too.

Fighter and Gerwalk look pretty nice overall.

Cons:

Skinny head

Chicken hands

Too many seams in the middle of parts

Big gap in the lower chest, and crotch piece isn't shaped very close to the lineart

Where the outer shoulders meet the inner shoulders there's quite a gap (visible in head on view in fighter mode)

The head and the hands looks fine, actually I like the head a lot. I agree with you on the seams in the middle, especially on the feet. I don't have the toy, may be it looks much better in real life. In anycase, this thing still looking great. I love to see someone repaint the entire thing. :D

Some pics found posted on another forum

http://bbs.comic.qq.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show/c...pc=0&ggpc=0

True they're cheaper but their website is hard to navigate. If you can't read the japanese and use their english website it can be a headache in frustration. That said I have ordered from them before and they do provide good and speedy service. HLJ automates practically everything for an easy shopping experience.

Thank god for Grahams video instructions.

I can't read Japanese either. But their English site is easy to navigate enough. I was incredibly frustrated until I found out about their English site! English site here : http://www.amenbo.com/toj.html

Just a rough comparison :

Amenbo // HLJ

Below RRP // RRP unless for early bird discounts or sales

Choice of Shipping // No choice

Online Stock Status // You'll never know when they'll tell you opps, no stock!

Immediate Shipping Cost // Wait and see what we bill ya!

5% of cost in points rebate** // No loyalty points.

**OK this is where amenbo needs to leave clear instructions. They don't! Any of you guys with the points and don't know how to use it, here is how. In the text box for shipping or other special remarks during ordering, just put in the text 'USE MY POINTS'. They'll automatically apply all your points balance as an equivalent yen discount. I got 2 orders absolutely free (incl shipping) this way.

No, I don't own stock in Amenbo if you are wondering. I just don't understand HLJ's popularity over amenbo (except for the much wider range HLJ carries).

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter