012 valkyrie

Valkyrie addict

damn...I could've sworn I saw a different number on his valkyrie on the TV series, that's the DYRL model, maybe I should recheck

You used the DYRL numbers for Hikaru and Max, that's why I thought you were referring to DYRL.

DYRL numbers:

011 - Hikaru (001 when he gets his VF-1S)

012 - Kakizaki

013 - Max (001 when he gets his VF-1S)

TV Series numbers:

101 - Hikaru's VF-1J (001 when he takes over Roy's VF-1S)

102 - Kakizaki

103 - Max's VF-1A *

* I don't remember if Max's VF-1J has a different number.

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by mister_e

You used the DYRL numbers for Hikaru and Max, that's why I thought you were referring to DYRL.

DYRL numbers:

011 - Hikaru (001 when he gets his VF-1S)

012 - Kakizaki

013 - Max (001 when he gets his VF-1S)

TV Series numbers:

101 - Hikaru's VF-1J (001 when he takes over Roy's VF-1S)

102 - Kakizaki

103 - Max's VF-1A *

* I don't remember if Max's VF-1J has a different number.

EDIT: Spelling

ahhh...must be that, my memory was just mixed up, mostly 'cause of the mix up Yamato models I have. gotta dust off the old macross tv DVD's and DYRL and get up to date with this things

how can you guys remember all this little details?, wow! and I thought I was a macross fan! hahaha

Edited by Valkyrie addict

I know nothing about squad numbers, does that mean Hayao outranked Max?

Assuming that there number represents their position in the squadron, then that would mean he outranked both max and Hikaru, as the #3 man is usually the second highest ranked and second most experienced (right after the squadron leader).

Assuming that there number represents their position in the squadron, then that would mean he outranked both max and Hikaru, as the #3 man is usually the second highest ranked and second most experienced (right after the squadron leader).

Is that how it is in the Japanese Airforce? (context is everything folks... ;) )

I would assume that just proves that the numbers are irrelevant.

Hikaru was the official leader of Vermilion team. He was a "seasoned" veteran(well, lightly spiced, anyways). And he HAD A MEDAL!111

Max and Kakizaki were quite clearly his subordinates, as well as raw recruits with absolutely no combat experience. OR MEDALS!111

If I remember correctly, in the episode when Hikaru is given charge of Kakizaki and Max, Kakizaki is originally represented as the more experienced of the two. The computer that displays their info (once again going off of memory here) says that Kakizaki has more simulator and flight time than Max. Although they are both rated "Class A", it always seemed to me that more was expected of Kakizaki and he was given higher billing. It was only after their first real combat in which Max is revealed to be an ace and Kakizaki is revealed to be an ass do their true "rankings" come forward.

In Japan, the "numbers on the nose" are simply abbreviated versions of their serial numbers. Japan doesn't really have modex numbers.

Macross almost always follows US Navy practices for their aircraft markings. In the USN, a modexes' last two digits indicate POSITION, not rank. And only a few.

x00: CAG (wing commander)

x01: Squadron commander

x02: Squadron executive officer

So all 3 above could (but unlikely) hold the same rank.

Now, pilots don't get to fly "their" plane all that often. And you will rarely find the CAG in "his" plane, since there's always multiple planes painted for the CAG, and he can only fly one at a time. :)

Also, x08 and x09 aren't used. (blame old, old computers and hexadecimals)

Finally, 0 is never the first number. 100 is the lowest possible number. 00 and 000 have been used as jokes for short term, but never actually assigned.

If I remember correctly, in the episode when Hikaru is given charge of Kakizaki and Max, Kakizaki is originally represented as the more experienced of the two. The computer that displays their info (once again going off of memory here) says that Kakizaki has more simulator and flight time than Max. Although they are both rated "Class A", it always seemed to me that more was expected of Kakizaki and he was given higher billing. It was only after their first real combat in which Max is revealed to be an ace and Kakizaki is revealed to be an ass do their true "rankings" come forward.

Kakizaki and Max are presented as equals, essentially.

Kakizaki has slightly more flight time, but it's not a significant amount.

The 2 are really an entire sub-story of their own. Complete with moral!

They're supposed to be pretty much identical skill levels. But Kakizaki gets overconfident and rushes into situations unprepared, while Max stays humble and assumes there's someone better than him.

Kakizaki gets shot down. A lot. Max kicks some serious mecha butt.

Ironically, Kakizaki seemed to be shaping into a decent pilot when he died, through no fault of his own.

This may be a little off topic, but definetly concerns the pilot ranking.

In DYRL Hikaru was an ensign, don´t you have to be a liutenant to get a plane? also Roy was a Major, a rank that does not exist in a navy, but is the equivalent of commander wich does exist in a navy. Taking into account that the UN Spacy seems to have Naval ranking, Admiral being the top rank excluding general, shouldn´t Roy be a commander?.

If my memory does not fail me, Roy was called commander in some subtitles I have seen.

also Roy was a Major, a rank that does not exist in a navy, but is the equivalent of commander wich does exist in a navy. Taking into account that the UN Spacy seems to have Naval ranking, Admiral being the top rank excluding general, shouldn´t Roy be a commander?.

If my memory does not fail me, Roy was called commander in some subtitles I have seen.

UN Spacy seems to use a hybrid rank system that doesn't totally match any real-world equivalent.

Which is a nice way of saying that the writers were probably pulling ranks out of their asses.

well, we could assume there some info lost in translation, I recall a usual translation problem with Global's rank between japanese and english, something along the lines that trying to give him the correct rank rather than the one given in japanese a complete mess was made in the translation, perhaps this may also happened between all the pilot ranks, specially with the differences between Macross TV and DYRL

well, we could assume there some info lost in translation, I recall a usual translation problem with Global's rank between japanese and english, something along the lines that trying to give him the correct rank rather than the one given in japanese a complete mess was made in the translation, perhaps this may also happened between all the pilot ranks, specially with the differences between Macross TV and DYRL

That is actually a translation error. UN Spacy uses a rough version of the modern US Army/Air Force and WWII Imperial Japan ranking system.

http://macross.anime.net/story/encyclopedi...pacy/index.html

Global's rank is brigadier general. However, he is the captain of a ship because that is his position. There is a note on the distinction between rank and position.

The distinction should be made between the positions and the ranks in the UN Spacy (as well as in real-life military services). For example, the captain of a warship (kanchou) does not necessarily hold the rank of Captain (taii or taisa). Captain Bruno J. Global is a captain of a warship who actually holds the rank of brigadier general. The same is true of a commander of a base (kichi no shireikan) and an admiral of fleet (teitoku) for the ranks of Commander (chuusa) and Admiral (taishou) respectively.