Scratch Building/Model Modification Archive Thread

Dax415

Just wondering if our resident scratch builders/model and toy customizers would be willing to share how to's and more. I wasn't sure where to start, I got the gundam scratchbuild manual so I have a visual idea of what to do, but since I don't read or speak japanese I didn't get as much out of it as I would like to. I wanted to modify a Hasegawa VF-1 Battroid so I guess the correct term is create a conversion/add on kit for it. A complete walk through would be awesome, from initial materials, tools, techniques, material sources, and how to keep things in scale. If the technique takes longer, but is better for beginners that's fine too. Thanks, hopefully others will be interested in this thread too.

dax415

Below are links to scratchbuilds, modifications, and usefull information for those wanting to do something simple to complex. I will be compiling them in this thread so others will find them and they are more convienant to find on this forum.

It is highly recommeded that you look through member <b>wm cheng's </b>builds.....extremely helpful for building, painting, modifying. Here is the link <a href="http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=691" target="_blank">WMCheng build up's</a> You should then probably start with the pinned threads in this section and branch out from there.

http://www.gundammodelkits.com/category/tutorial Great place to go for techniques, tools, and customization found by NIghtmareB4macross

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=39043 Yamato 1/60 VF-1 Kit Custom/Detailing by Kye

<a href="http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=20983" target="_blank">1/72 Hasegawa Gerwalk Modification Thread done by Chas</a>

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/duom/gundam/hasepv/hasepv.html" target="_blank">1/72 Transformable Hasegawa Strike Valkyrie by Jarrod</a>

<a href="http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=26951" target="_blank">1/100 Modified Bandai model kit VF-2SS Transformable w/SAP packs by Fly4victory</a>

Edited by Dax415

Bummer doesn't look like there is a lot of interest in this. Maybe we could turn this to a links thread of scratch builds on macross world and use it as a resource thread? Personally I wanted to mod a Hasegawa into a VF-3/VF-X3 Star Crusader. It was from a video game and i doubt others here would want one so i figured in my spare time i would build one myself. It only has two modes, battroid and fighter so i thought maybe...just maybe..(with some help of course)...I could build a perfect variable. Figured I'd need a Battroid kit and a valkyrie fighter mode kit to make it due to my inexperience. Here is a pic of the Star Crusader in Battroid mode:

Star Crusader

Edited by Dax415

Wow! you want to mod a Hase. Valk. into that? I'm no expert on modding or scratch building (all I've done is a Hase. Gerwalk Mod) but it looks to me like that would require some major modifications. (Not something I would attempt for a first foray into modding kits -- difficult to the point of discouraging. Start off with something a little more straight forward so you have time to develop the skills and gain the experience need for such a major project. Small steps man Small steps!

If you like I have a step by step of how I built my Gerwalk from a hase Battroid and fighter kit thay I could post.

Chas you are probably right about the build, though I probably shouldn't call it a hase mod cause most stuff would need to be scratch built. Realistically if I wanted to do this myself I would need some help from others to do this. Now back to the main purpose of the thread....it would be great for you to post a link to your build up Chas. As more people chime in, I'll edit my first post and start a compilation there. Just post it in a format so that i can copy and paste it on the edited thread. Maybe this thread will get some life after all.

I don't know how much experience you have with mormal modelkit modifications and small scratch builds. But from reading the first post I would guess not too much. Owning a Gunpla scratch build manual doesn't really help you at all with transformable models. I wouldn't recommend to build a variable kit if your still inexperienced. So reconsider if a solid build or parts exchange version wouldn't be better for you just to get known to material, tools and the time you'll need to get things done. Well at least to get started you should make sketches from the Star Crusader. Make some photocopies from the hasegawa instrucion manuals and use these for scribble.The best would be if you scale the copies to original parts/model size. It should make things easier for planning the transformation process. Depending on 1 picture and imagination sure isn't enough to build a variable kit. The most guys here build their scratch builds based on facts ,technical specifications, pictures from magazines, books and internet. Keep in mind that scratch builds are not done in a month or two if you never build one before. And also that you'll get bored of it as soon as you get unmotivated. We can't give you advice on how to use XYZ plastics or material if we don't know what you use or what you like to do specifically. Which parts do you intend to build from scratch or just remodel the existing sections. I guess there's always someone here who could help you out once you've started your project and post some pictures of progress.

Sorry for having you read my bad english. It's not much of help for the beginning but at least something to start with.

1. Gather information about your prey.

2. Fix the parts with tape. Test fit and shape the right position for the parts. Make sketches from the parts which you like to improve.

3. Which parts can be replaced with option parts and kits or replacments from left over Mobile Suit kits. So best would be to raid your spare parts collection.

If your still thinking about making the parts from scratch than

Oh! How sure are you about the missing gerwalk mode ?

Go for it but remember it will take at least twice as long as you think to make it.

Scratch building is harder than moding an existing kit or toy.

Drawings and pictures are your friends scale is best.

Get your self a good supply of building materials including model parts etc. A good cutting board a good set of knives and an exacto saw a small desktop modeling Vice also is a good accessory. Add to that the usual suspects like an engineers square and good quality draftsman marker pens and pencils an a roll or two of masking tape.

Some or all of this you may well have.

Eaither way good luck to you and dont forget to post your progress and qustions.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice, encouragement and reality check. I'm pretty sure I can do this with the exception of the variable part. The pointy part of the cannons look like a pain in the rear though. I do not expect to finish this in 3 months....that just wouldn't be possible even if I were semi experienced. I've done mods in the past, using spare parts, small scratch builds, I've also got a natural talent for being mechanically inclined and I used to be an art major....though not a significant time was used for sculpting. So doing drawings, changes, and having a clue when it comes to 2D and 3D work shouldn't be a big deal for me. Right now I'm in research mode, but defineately post the build, anguish and success I have with it.

@TSP Absolutely positive on the missing gerwalk mode!!

@TSP Absolutely positive on the missing gerwalk mode!!

I have had a good look through all my material and cant find a Gerwalk mode Although I could have missed it still, or just dont have the right book etc.

it would be great for you to post a link to your build up Chas. As more people chime in, I'll edit my first post and start a compilation there. Just post it in a format so that i can copy and paste it on the edited thread. Maybe this thread will get some life after all.

Why don't I just post it directly in this thread? Wel maybe that's not such a good idea as it has about 40 images plus the write-up. How about I start a new thread for it and you could then post a link to it in this thread?

Edited by Chas

@Chas....you will have to excuse me as I have a cold right now. i thought your gerwalk how to was already up so I thought I would just be posting a link or something. I think it would be best to post your own dedicated thread on the subject and then I will post a link to it here so it doesn't get lost to the "ages". Besides you'll get much deserved props for your efforts and other members will probably have questions for you too. I will defineately want to read up on it too! Thanks for being the first official volunteer to post their build up in this thread.

dax415

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, looks like my subject matter is going to be more complex since it will be more of a judgement call then something built on numerous reference pics. Looks like I'm going to have to use whats there and do some enhancements with photoshop and make my own blue prints. Below I will list the on hand tools that I have to work on this project:

1.) Assortment of new xacto knife blades and the knife itself

2.) Black and Decker Dremel knockoff with a crap load of accessories

3.) Small Hobby vise

4.) Thick Paper so I don't waste the plasticard

5.) Assortment of Plasticard

6.) Small can of Bondo

7.) Hasegawa 1/72 Super Battroid

8.) Hasegawa 1/72 1J Valkyrie Fighter

9.) Assortment of small pliers and wire cutters

10.) Super glue

11.) Toothpicks

12.) Assortment of Sandpaper

Suggestions are welcomed :)

@ Chas and Big F

The old guy at the hobby store called it a hand drill, that's the same thing right? Its meant for holding really small drill bits. hate to sound like a dumb a*ss, but i wanted to make sure. also my accessorie kit for the dremel knock off has some really small drill bits as well, i was really surprised.

dax415

Handrill is the name sometimes given to it they are sometimes just small hand cranked drills.

It can also be called a pinvice. This one of two things depending on what your school of training is. It can be a small miniture drill chuck that can take drill bits down to rediculous sizes of smaller than 1mm. Or it can also be a small device similar to those watch makers screwdrivers you can get at the thrift mart. You know the ones they come in a pack usually the size of a carton of smokes, they usually look the similar but the pin drill will have a small chuck like part on the end to allow you to put in drill bits.

They are all good for the job. The only real difference is that the screwdriver like one is good for use in the hand, quick or not critical acurate holes and the drill chuck one can be fitted into the end of a convensional drill or drill press for super acurate or depth acurate holes. I have both so I have the ability to do eaither, but you can get away with one or the other if needs be. My pin vise is nearly 40 years old and was my fathers when he was an aprentice tool maker, they just dont wear out, so you only ever need on unless you loose it. Neither should cost you more than a few bucks.

Yeah, Big F's pretty much covered it. You can see pics of mine 'in action' in the Hase. Gerwalk thread - fig's 30-31. I like 'em cause by hand turning I have more control and can go as slow as I'm comfortable with, plus bit sizes in the fractions of milimeters is a real bonus. Sounds like you got the right thing.

Oh yeah, also an assortment of files (needle and regular) My needle file set has an assortment of shapes: circular, semi-circular, square, pyramid etc. Also if you can find 'em fairly cheap some dental pics in various shapes and a good panel line scriber ( a # 11 blade with the tip snapped off will work but a quality one will , to my mind anyway, always work better). Some Bull-Dog clips or clothes pins for small clamps is a good idea. and a good metal ruler and/or carpenters square would always be handy too. I'll post more if I think of anything.

Edited by Chas

OMG I`d forgotten about dental tools

One of our clients is a dental pracice and while talking to the head dentist a few months back he said that the tools they use are great for modeling and sculpting. He said he know of several dentist friends who use the old scrapers and sculpting tools as modeling tools once they are nolonger useful in the dentist chair. The Dentists cant really sharpen stuff as its more dificult to clean and more likely to break etc. so once a tool dulls of they bin it. Check out your local Dentist as you may be able to take some off his hands in the name of recycling. There are so many different things available your gonna find plenty you can use or mod into someting really handy. Needless to say I have a full set of the useful things from my dentist.

Edited by big F

Ah, dental tools! i will defineately have to get those. As I look at this project, I think the basic shape and transformation I have in mind will work, but its the details that worry me. So I plan on accomplishing this with green stuff since its relatively easy to get and I've seen some good results with it. I'll start my sculpting skills small and start with some other projects I've wanted to do anyways. The other problem is how I'm going to handle the joints on the kit itself. I know I can buy some from hlj, but I'm ignorant on what works best and the choices out there. Some direction in this would be awesome. Thanks

Dax415

• 2 months later...

I know you can get the saw/cutting discs for a Dremel, but I don't know of an attachment that provides a frame and table type setup like a mini table saw. Even if there was, there tends to be a problem with the speed of a Dremel melting the plastic instead of making clean cuts. I would recommend you get an Exacto hobby saw with a mitre box. They should be easy to find at hobby or craft stores. If you have a Harbor Freight store near you they have an electric micro mitre saw that may work too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

hey guys, saw a $10 generic dremel like tool and small kit @ walmart. figured us modeler and customs guys may have need of one out there. also saw an inexpesive airbrush @ biglots for $8, my cousin got one and said it was good to do base coat with, but he doesn't like it for detail stuff.

Don't know how many times I've picked up that airbrush at Big Lots. :lol:

That price is super tempting, but I always put it back figuring I just need to learn how to use the one I have. :rolleyes:

Did you ever pick up the mini-table saw? I was wondering how it worked for you.

I have the mini miter saw, and it cuts nicely but is a little bit difficult to see exactly where you are cutting. The blade is so small and the housing is fairly large.

Edited by jardann

i went to harbor freight and saw it there but ended up not getting it cause my job picked up and there wasn't anytime to work on any scratchbuilds or kits.......sort of like the mini samurai armor custom i was going to make out of aluminum (about the size of a 1/12 action figure)....i've still got the aluminum solder and the mini hand torch still in the package!!

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Here's my feedback. There's no threads listed here by WMCheng in your list. His work really stands out as being some of the most informative threads on this site for model builders! Having said this of course, I believe some threads are posted as stickies? Still, for someone who is coming to the site for the first time, to make this thread more meaningful it would probably be a good idea to post links to his threads here. Just a suggestion! :lol:

Regards, Petar

This should be pinned in Important Topics! Let's not 'lose' it!

The crusader's shoulders depending on if you want to do the mod yourself could be taken from either a master grade Gudam kit possibly the RX-78-2 versions older is better. The head can be for the attachments modded using a combination of styrene sheetes an ABS, and milliput putty. The chest looks like you could take it from the the RX-78 denborium stamen because of that boxy look much less needed modding. The legs look as though you could take an existing VF-11's legs and add some mass to give them a rounder edge. Depending on how you will want articulation you could alway use a Hasagawa Batroid's legs either way parts could be taen from the Macrosss 7 VF-11 and used in some way to suppliment the feet. here are some images of the kits I have suggested for modification.

post-12728-1267115995_thumb.jpg

post-12728-1267116012_thumb.jpg

Edited by leading edge

The crusader's shoulders depending on if you want to do the mod yourself could be taken from either a master grade Gudam kit possibly the RX-78-2 versions older is better. The head can be for the attachments modded using a combination of styrene sheetes an ABS, and milliput putty. The chest looks like you could take it from the the RX-78 denborium stamen because of that boxy look much less needed modding. The legs look as though you could take an existing VF-11's legs and add some mass to give them a rounder edge. Depending on how you will want articulation you could alway use a Hasagawa Batroid's legs either way parts could be taen from the Macrosss 7 VF-11 and used in some way to suppliment the feet. here are some images of the kits I have suggested for modification.

ironically i was thinking the same thing except i didn't think about the RX-78 Dendrobium......so far i have an older MG RX-78 the one in your picture on the right, a 1/72 Hasegawa Fighter kit, a 1/72 Battroid kit and some plasticard and putty. i'm not in a hurry to begin as i'm starting other projects to build up my confidence level and familiarity with the tools i have. your input is much appreciated leading edge, thanks!

Edited by Dax415

• 3 months later...

i've been thinking about this project.... i've also thought about two other kits but dont remember what they are called. Both of them are from the Patlabor series and the other is a blue badguy UC mech with a wip. i'm not sure if the scale would work though.