Live Action Blood: The Last Vampire

Gunbuster

Everyone here at Full Sail has been talking about that film since they saw it at the Enzian a few months back.

Anyway that trailer looks good and should be a good film. Looks hell of a lot better than both street fighter and dragon ball z.

• 3 weeks later...
New trailer is up....too CG...too stylised....i think it will suck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVoJHuVNAVU

Ma-hai... what's with this enduring fixation with girls in uniforms??? If they can't be a little more creative fashion-wise, they can always go for the office lady, the goggled swimming instructor, the secretary, the french maid, the cafe maid, the boneless masseuse, the hostess, the bored housewife, the precious older sister, the sister-in-law... etc... I mean, the ideas of different looks for a leading lady is almost limitless... and they never bother to try them! Grr! ^_^

Ma-hai... what's with this enduring fixation with girls in uniforms??? If they can't be a little more creative fashion-wise, they can always go for the office lady, the goggled swimming instructor, the secretary, the french maid, the cafe maid, the boneless masseuse, the hostess, the bored housewife, the precious older sister, the sister-in-law... etc... I mean, the ideas of different looks for a leading lady is almost limitless... and they never bother to try them! Grr! ^_^

Errr....you're not familiar with the source material are you? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just went to the cinema earlier and was blown away by this Live Action adaption trailer of Blood the last vampire.

I never watched the Anime movie or read the manga or light novels or seen the anime tv series.

As a rule I avoid Vampire themed anime/manga storylines but the trailer tempts me to see the basics before watching it.

Japanese Trailer

English Trailer

Japanese girl in old school seifuku killing vampires?! Hell yeah!

Well, it got Jun Ji-hyun, the Korean hottie ('My Sassy Girl' fame) as Saya in that movie! Hell yeah, if the movie sucks bigtime, I'd still go just to see her kick arse in action movie (she usually played stereotyped Korean girl, demure, spunky, even the long-haired ghost) so it gonna be a treat!

• 4 weeks later...

Saw it on Saturday. Saya was well-acted but some parts of the Japanese flashbacks produced unintentional laughs because the old bodyguard played things too seriously. Didn't really care for the new girl character. Sword fights were entertaining, but Saya came off as almost invincible. Ending was weak. 6/10

Just came back from the premiere....free tickets for me. Glad I didn't pay for it.

Acting was bad.

The lines were so cringe-worthy cheesy.

Storyline was extra cheesy.

Main american girl was the usual all american gungho girl.

Special effects were bgrade.

The only praise-worthy part of the whole film was when Kato was being all Gar and killing ninjas.

1/10 for me.....1 because Kato was awesome.

Saw the preview for this when I watched Terminator Salvation.

Based on the preveiew, there is no way I would ever pay to see this movie. I won't even pay to rent it. Heck, I wouldn't even download it!

Just to go on record, I do like the anime movie (even though it was too damn short) and I thought the anime TV series was OK.

Why won't I see the live-action movie? Well, because there's too much damn wirework. Every single damn scene in the preview seemed to show Saya doing that silly have run/half flying through the air wirewalk crap, which I absolutely cannot stand at all. Sorry, it's just been overused to death and looks bloody stupid IMO.

Graham

(not a fan of any movie that uses wirework)

• 2 weeks later...
Just came back from the premiere....free tickets for me. Glad I didn't pay for it.

Acting was bad.

The lines were so cringe-worthy cheesy.

Storyline was extra cheesy.

Main american girl was the usual all american gungho girl.

Special effects were bgrade.

The only praise-worthy part of the whole film was when Kato was being all Gar and killing ninjas.

1/10 for me.....1 because Kato was awesome.

oh man, it was awful. and i agree 100% with your comments. and then some. :p

Definitely better than Dragon Ball Evolution. And yes, I did see the movie 'cause I had a free ticket and too much free time :D

Blood was actually a joint-effort between Asian and Western moviemakers, and the result was a half-breed that has neither the appeal of a western sci-fi nor the excitement of an Asian action film. It is a very common problem these days for joint-production. The only selling point was the leading actress Giana, and she's not even that popular anymore.

I actually don't mind wire work, if done well. A lot of the old Jackie Chan movies used wire work, but they were executed so well that you couldn't really tell. IMHO, wire work only becomes awful when you have non-action actors pretending they know martial arts.

Edited by Ivan

No kidding. I cringed.....i mean how do the actors utter those lines without cringing? :huh:

another thing that bothers me is that i actually consider jeon ji-hyun (and yes, her international screen name sucks) a good actress. here, her acting came out flat as plywood. sure, most of it is saya's character, but the director could have done a lot better with it.

anyone else think that the american girl's intuituion was completely illogical?

hey, saya's bleeding from a wound, i wonder how i can help her.oh i know, i'll cut myself and give her some of my blood to drink.

hmmm... everything looks weird and foggy in this place. oh my god, saya this isn't real!!

:rolleyes:

Just watched the said movie ... it does suck ...

But as I said earlier, I watched it because Jeon-Ji Hyun finally shake off her standard Korean fare of demure, spunky or ghostly Korean typecast roles she's famous off.

Glad to see she kicks butt in the movie.

Although I did switch off my brain when watching the movie ....

another thing that bothers me is that i actually consider jeon ji-hyun (and yes, her international screen name sucks) a good actress. here, her acting came out flat as plywood. sure, most of it is saya's character, but the director could have done a lot better with it.

and i think the onigen actress was the same one in Last Samurai, the widow who nursed tom cruise. i thought her role there was understated but well-acted. complete opposite in Blood.

Looks ok, at least it's still in Japan. Is it still in the original timeline, right before the Vietnam War?

Edited by peter

I just pulled out my Blood The Last Vampire DVD and watched the extras - Making of, and there's this scene with Mamoru Oshii.

He's talking to the camera, he's wearing this sweatshirt with a print of a dog on it, and the phucking dog blinks.....twice. I took a double take when I first saw it, but it defintely blinks. Anyone else notice anything weird/easter eggs?

• 2 weeks later...
Damn it, they are not showing in any cinema in Vancouver. :angry:

Just visit a Chinese DVD shop over here in Richmond...I'm sure they have it.