/72 Macross VF-1J/1S Full Armored Super Valkyrie

Mechleader

It is a recast, as far as I know HobbyFan does not produce anything themselves, they are just a middleman!

They buy kits from local suppliers and repackage them. They are cheaper than most other places because they buy up an entire mold (or close to all), hence the always out of stock symbol and do not care on quality control.

Well I just posted a message on the Neograde website about it so I'll know soon if it is a recast or an original.

Those, Ryuji's Minmay kits, and G-System kits (i think) are the only originals original resin kits I'm aware of that Hobbyfan has sold.

Sorry to go off topic here for a bit.

Ken, do you know if all the 1/48 VF-1 from hobbyfan is by G-System ?

The reason I ask is I brought one the other day and was wondering if it is by G-System (still waiting for the kit to arrive).

BTW, did the cheque clear ok?

It´s a fact, guys! Hobbyfan's kit is a recast.

I wrote them, and this is their response:

"Hello,

Every kit will sell at our site are recasts. The only item that are original or G-system kits."

:ph34r:

Edited by cool8or

It´s a fact, guys! Hobbyfan's kit is a recast.

I wrote them, and this is their response:

"Hello,

Every kit will sell at our site are recasts. The only item that are original or G-system kits."

:ph34r:

Great; just what we llike to hear....

In another news I just received the kit I got from the auction I won at Ebay from Neograde.

For startes the Neograde box in gorgeous, It looks like a shoe box but the texture and colors are enchanting ( If I was a girl I would fall in love with it).

The packaging of the resin is well done in several layers of bubble wrap and inflated plastic bags, very secure to survive shipping from Hong Kong.

The bigger pieces are individually wraped and the casting is top quality from what I could see. Since I didn't open the individual bags because I won't build this sucker for a while; I could not see it with detail. But I can tell this guys are proud of their work and show it well...

Well It has just been confirmed as a recast by the folks at Neograde as well. Link So I don't think HobbyFan will be able to continue offering it.

I think recasts are great if the original is "permanently" out of production or the manufacturer goes bankrupt and the creativity and the originality of the product gets lost in oblivion.

However, recasting an offered item is a whole new ball game. I saw the recast offer but decided not to purchase it. Instead, I ordered the original from Neograde while traveling on business in Korea. I haven't received it yet but I am sure it's waiting for me at my parent's house. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

FYI, Neograde at one point auctioned a finished model on Yahoo! Japan Auction for JPY40,000, which looked great (just like the picture on their website).

I completely and wholehartedly agree with you. Recast all the out-of-production, event only, rare, never gonna see it again, stuff you want, BUT If it's a new creation still being produced then Hands-Off! That's why I posted on Neograde's site about it, 'cus this was their first (as far as I know) Macross kit and I want them to make more. HobbyFan 'aint never gonna produce anything new.

That being said over on the SamuraiMonkey Forums Kylwell, HWR MKII, and myself have been talking abou this and . . . well it's easier to just post snippets of the conversation than to summarize it so:

Kylwell: Last time I chatted with the owner of HF he was moving away from re-casting after a fashion but he admitted he doesn't check when someone approaches him with a subject.But in this case, I dunno.

ME:Is that like -- it's to difficult to do the follow-up work and find out, or like the pawnbroker who doesn't ask questions when the same scruffy guy comes in every second week with ladies jewellery to pawn? What was your impression?

Kylwell: Kinda.

Some items he seemed to go out of his way to find the original scultor or manufacturer, some the master maker came to him with nothing more that a first pull, others may have just said it was thiers.

To me there is a big gray area when it comes to re-casting, but this incident is definately more on the darker end of things.

HWR MKII: HF is usually prety good at staying above board and honest on its recasts(as far as you can get recasting) They mainly stuck to OOP kits or WF only specials. This is a weird turn of events for them.

Kylwell: Which is why I'm wondering if it was a third party who convinced him it was thiers.

So it might not be anything more malicious than just not doing their homework. Who knows?

Holly Crap! Is this thing that popular? The Cptain better watch out that his destroids don't get recasted before he's finished them :blink::huh::p:ph34r:

There are many models easy to produce but who knows why Hasegawa don't do it....

by example: VF-1 & VF-0's Gerwalks, Basara's VF-19, VF-17, etc...

I hope that Hasegawa renew their offer on Macross stuff... maybe they'll do something new celebrating 25th years old of Macross

Well I stopped by Neograde today. It's 4 guys in a medium sized room that sculpt the masters and a small casting room in back that they use for making the patterns. These are then shipped off to HK where the moulds are made and the kits produced. We talked about the folks who are recasting their kit and they said unfortunately there is nothing they can do to stop it, "there are too many recasters in HK" was basically the answer. So it looks like HF and E2046 will still be able to offer the recasts. don't know Anyway they've got a nice set up and they said I could come by anytime I wanted to. Oh yeah and they do mostly do Gundam stuff, but the guy who did the Valk. is apparently a huge Macross fan and I was told that he'll most likely be producing other Macross kits in the futre. Anyway nice guys and a nice visit. Shame 'bout the recasters, and unscrupulous e-sellers though!

Chas, are they generally cool about people coming to visit them? I travel to Seoul on business and my parents live there to. In fact, I bought one of those kits and had it shipped to my parent's address. I live in Hong Kong and if they would like, I could look into what I could do to "solve" their recaster problem.

Chas, are they generally cool about people coming to visit them? I travel to Seoul on business and my parents live there to. In fact, I bought one of those kits and had it shipped to my parent's address. I live in Hong Kong and if they would like, I could look into what I could do to "solve" their recaster problem.

Visitors? I don't think so no.

They are not really set up to recieve people at their "offices". I posted on their site a few months ago asking if they had a store in Seoul that I could visit and they simply responded that they did not. It was only after this whole incident with the Armored Valk getting recasted and sold online that they invited me to visit - sort of a thank-you I guess. While I was there I showed them MW (which they hadn't known about) and we chatted for a bit over coffee while they showed me around. I think your best bet would be to e-mail them or post on the Q/A section of their website. You'll need to get the address and directions from them as that info. isn't posted on the site. They seem like pretty nice guys. I think, if you have some ideas that could help them, it's worth getting in touch with them.

Edited by Chas