Sony Playstation Portable Thread

twich

OK, beat GoW in a few days, and decided to try out the challenges. The first one was easy, but the second one is really pissing me off. The flame guards all jump around like rabbits on crack, and don't even slow down when they land, but Kratos moves slower than a mentally handicapped amputee with MS (no offense to handicapped people). His recovery time from a super punch SUCKS! These kind of games need to come with a high blood pressure warning.

The game itself was awesome, but I hate the challenges. You have to be an ultra hardcore game nerd to master the moves to make it through. There is no motivation for the casual gamer (like myself) to try and make it through the challenges.

Ya the rewards for beating the challenges aren't worth the frustration IMO. Even in the PS2 games. Now that I'm done with this game I'm not sure I'll go back and beat it again...

Also what's next for the PSP? Other than the new Final Fantasy(which I have no interest) what's coming out?

Also what's next for the PSP? Other than the new Final Fantasy(which I have no interest) what's coming out?

I have no idea. I've kind of lost interest in the PSP since I bought it a couple years ago. I really only wanted to play the SOCOM games (still haven't tried Tactical Strike) and a few others like Bomberman, Mercury and the new GoW. None of the other games are calling to me.

BTW, I think I'm just going to download a file with the GoW challenges done. I made it through the second challenge, and now the third one is impossible for me. I just can't do it. I've watched the videos on what to do, I've read the guides, and I still can't do it. There's just way too fricken many harpies to kill off.

I'm still playing gundam battle chronicle as I found more easter egg, such as:

- Anavel Gato vs Kou Uraki. Playing 0083 campaign with them in their respective MS brings most of the dialogue, including the famous "I'm the enemy you idiot" from Gato :lol:

- Amuro, I once use him in a Gundam, and he literally count all his MS kill (up to 12 unit) :ph34r:

are people excited for the new Crisis Core:Final Fantasy 7 game? I have always like Final Fantasy games, but could not really get into FF10, and havent played 12 yet because my wife doesnt like those kinds of games....

I would like to get it, but want to wait what people think of it before investing.

Twich

Finished GoW with a time of like 5 hours 15 minutes... the final boss is lame, but I'm playing thru again as the Spud of War anyway.

My friend is an avid FF fan while I've never been able to get into the game style, but he keeps nagging to that I should pick up Crisis Core and try it, so we'll see...

are people excited for the new Crisis Core:Final Fantasy 7 game? I have always like Final Fantasy games, but could not really get into FF10, and havent played 12 yet because my wife doesnt like those kinds of games....

I would like to get it, but want to wait what people think of it before investing.

Twich

From what I've read, the story and cinematics are pretty good, and that fans of FFVII should play it for that reason alone, but as far as gameplay goes, you could just mash the X button and finish the game without even looking at the PSP.

From what I've read, the story and cinematics are pretty good, and that fans of FFVII should play it for that reason alone, but as far as gameplay goes, you could just mash the X button and finish the game without even looking at the PSP.

Not really since Crisis Core is actually in real time so there's a lot more of action.

Not really since Crisis Core is actually in real time so there's a lot more of action.

The price you pay for this illumination is about 12 hours of your life mashing one button on your PSP.

If you were to watch a movie and periodically pause it for five to ten minutes, you would, in essence, be creating an experience similar to the one I had with Crisis Core. This may seem like an odd analogy to make, but this game's combat system is just as uneventful as a movie's pause screen. Most of the battles can be completed without looking at the PSP's screen. With enemies exhibiting the liveliness of a stuffed sloth and your character automatically latching onto the next foe, it's just a matter of tapping the X button in succession. Gameplay this poor deserves to be tossed to the wolves, but the game itself isn't a total loss. I enjoyed watching it.

That's from the review in Game Informer. I'm guessing your idea of "a lot more action" and their's are a bit different.

I picked up Crisis Core just now....so....yeeaaaahhhh, I'm deciding if I wanna play it now or in the morning cause I got other stuff to do....hmmmm.

Well, if you do play it... whenever you play it, share your thoughts. I'm still curious. Despite the generally negative comments I'm hearing about the gameplay, the review scores are still fairly positive. It seems that successes in storytelling outweigh flaws in gameplay.

Well after playing it for maybe 3 hours worth of time lastnight and this morning here are my thoughts.

GRAPHICS: It's what I expect for a Final Fantasy game, espically something of a prequel to FF7. The opening Cinematography was great! I'm gonna show this off to a friend at work cause he's never seen FF before.

The ingame graphics are sharp like you were watching a condesned screen version of Kingdom Hearts only I think just a tad bit improved.

I haven't encountered anything choppy or whatnot just yet.

MUSIC: A mix of the original and some new scores that are hard rock/metal esque. The only complaint I have is that the new scores tend to get really annoying and LOUD during combat.

CONTROLS: Simple to use sort of...though I'll say I perfer turn based rather than some sort of a mix turnbase/realtime combat. You dodge with the Square, Block with the Triangle, and Attack on the X, however timing is critical, this is NOT a button masher game like Devil May Cry.

Using the L and R buttons you can cycle thru your inventory and materia which will be helpful.

You can use the analog stick or the directional pad to move Zack around.

GAMEPLAY: Simple thus far, nothing really complex has arrived just yet. The use of the DMW is nothing more than a slot machine which spouts off crap left and right and not much of what's really important, level breaks and level ups. I've played 3 hours, started at lvl 6 and I'm only at lvl 9....normally this far into the game I should be in the teens or early 20's....but because of this I think Enix dumbed down the combat just a bit to make it easier to fight.

However the longer you fight and the more difficult things get, the more likely hood your DMW will give you a level up at some point.

Also to help improve your combat abilities and level up ect, they present missions which you can access in your save point at what looks like any given time. These missions will help you collect items and possibly level up your stats and such....as I've said, started at 6, now at 9....only leveled up twice during normal combat and once during missions.

If you die during a mission no worries it's not a game over.

VOICEACTING: Again, what I expected for a FF game...I don't have any complaints. Though I think at times Zacks voice gets a lil out of key in how he speaks out his expressions, sometimes a cool settle "Huh?" turns out to be a nerv racking "WHAT?!"

OVERALL: I've still got A LONG WAY until I'm done with this game....I'd say I only played an eighth of it thus far. I'm only at the point where you go into Angeals hometown and come in contact with Genesis....that's it.

Now I gotta get ready for work :p

I'd say, totally get the game if you enjoy FF, be it the franchise or 7...but I think this is a good game thus far.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the Eureka Seven Game for PSP.

The anime clips and the opening title sequence are great. The first chapter was fun but a little easy and the game seems to follow the storyline of the anime.

Included was a mail in offer if you have the other two Japanese PS2 Eureka Seven games and a sheet of Gekko State Stickers.

I hope Bandai comes out with an english version of this game like they did the PS2 games.

post-3784-1207427864_thumb.jpg

finished ffcrisis core the other night, over 20 hours WITHOUT doin all the little missions, very sad ending which we all know is going to happen anyway if you have played ff7 you know what im talking bout.

that combat gets kinda frantic hard towards the end i have to say. whilst I was totally driven by the story, the combat I felt was ok but there were quite a few times i wished for the 'stop attacking me till i line up the magic/item/whatever I want to do to you' thing! heh. That dodge button is completely necessary in later battles, I went about a third of the way though it time wise, without ever using it hehe.

I hate not having any interaction with the DMW, i remember in ff8 how they had the 'hit this button during limit break for extra damage' input.

Mini missions are a good way to level urself up a bit. even with only some of them done, I think I ended up being around level 35 or something by the end?

Spectacular graphics, engaging story, not bad combat, definatly need to play it if you are any kind of fan of final fantasy!

my 2 cents =-)

i've been playing it on & off for the past week, and I agree with all sentiments so far. Though is it just me, or does it feel like the some of the Xenosaga team came back to squenix & mated with the Kingdom Hearts team?

I still prefer turn based too, but for what it is, it's a great game. Now if a PS3 FFVII remake were to pop back up with the original enigne, but complete redoen visuals/more cinema's, I wouldn't be opposed... Actually, if they made it into an Advent Children styled TV series, all the better.

I just got Gundam Battle Chronicles, but I can't figure out how to play the missions. I went thru the control training missions, but after that I can't do anything....I select a mission, I input all those points on both my guy and his partner, then what?

Just picked up a new PSP slim to play Crisis Core. I'm going to concentrate on doing all available missions. Guess I better get my $200 worth out of it. Wonder if Gamestop will take Jak and Family Guy as trade-ins, since I only bought the PSP to play Crisis Core.

I like it so far, I finally got used to the controls.

They'll take Jaks but for like 1 or 2 dollars trade, and I don't think they'll take family guy cause it's a promotional movie like Spiderman was. Well Gamestop did for like 1 dollar.

Just picked up a new PSP slim to play Crisis Core. I'm going to concentrate on doing all available missions. Guess I better get my $200 worth out of it. Wonder if Gamestop will take Jak and Family Guy as trade-ins, since I only bought the PSP to play Crisis Core.

I like it so far, I finally got used to the controls.

ebay it. Or I'll double what GS would give you for them. My friend would love to have those. She loves Family Guy

Edited by Gaijin

I just got Gundam Battle Chronicles, but I can't figure out how to play the missions. I went thru the control training missions, but after that I can't do anything....I select a mission, I input all those points on both my guy and his partner, then what?

I can't remember how to do but it took alot of effort. I sat down with a sheet of paper and wrote out the Japanese symbols and then the buttons I pushed. In the end I gave it to a friend in Tagalog class.

Crisis Core is really fantastic, especially if you're a fan of the FF7 story and what not. It's also a good quality action rpg.

I also picked up Wipeout Pulse, which is proving to be a ton of fun. Custom soundtracks as well as the ability to design your own ship skins/paint jobs really adds some nice depth to the game. Controls remind me more of the 2097/WO3 style, which I preferred over Pure.

Started playing Monster Hunter Freedom 2 with friends. Fun game!

GoW...played finish and wasn't very happy with the ending/storyline which felt shafted. And is Kratos the most abused but manly videogame character in all videogame history? He virtually pwned all the greek gods and gave them the finger.

Yay, Bandai just announced a new Gundam Battle series for PSP.

Gunota:

Gundam Battle Universe

Coming July 17 for the PSP is Gundam Battle Universe, the 4th in the Gundam Battle series. The game will include new units from Gundam Sentinel, ZZ, CCA-MSV, Hathaway's Flash, and F91 and new missions for ZZ and CCA (for a total of over 200 missions).

FAZZ and Doven Wolf :ph34r: :ph34r: Also Hi-Nu Gundam is on the list.

Pic from magazine scan can be seen here:

Famitsu scan April 2008