What's lying on your workbench? MKII

TSP

A bit OT, but what's on this guy's workbench should humble anyone:

http://www.wright-wing.com/f6fhellcatwip/

Doesnt humble me. They guy is doing alot of needless work for stuff that wont be seen. Im all for getting the details correct but a good 3/4 of what he has done detail wise will never be seen. I pity him more than anything. Sure he knows it there be the person who looks at it wont see it and appreciate it. Unless they go to the site. A good example is te tail wheel well. 75% of what he made will not be seen at all. Cool he did it but overall its wasted effort.

Doesnt humble me. They guy is doing alot of needless work for stuff that wont be seen. Im all for getting the details correct but a good 3/4 of what he has done detail wise will never be seen. I pity him more than anything. Sure he knows it there be the person who looks at it wont see it and appreciate it. Unless they go to the site. A good example is te tail wheel well. 75% of what he made will not be seen at all. Cool he did it but overall its wasted effort.

Wow...that's one of the saddest comments I've heard on these forums. So much for enjoying your hobby...

Ahab its not sad its the truth. Sure its great he did all that but if it isnt going to be seen why go through the effort. Thats spent time and energy that could be spent getting more done.

Look at the trumpeter 1/32 kits. take the new P-47 for example. The thing has full ducting for its supergharger and ratiator systems. Yet theres no way to see it when built. Same with their 1/32 A-10s. Full gun systems yet no way to show it off. Theres no loose or cutable panels. Same with the engines on that A-10 kit. Full internal compressor assembly detail. But it gets sealed up inside the ducting shield and is not invisible.

I enjoy the hobby very well , ask the members im one of the more prolific and helpful builders here, but im not about to kill myself making something that will never see the light of day again.

Edited by HWR MKII

Ahab its not sad its the truth. Sure its great he did all that but if it isnt going to be seen why go through the effort. Thats spent time and energy that could be spent getting more done.

Look at the trumpeter 1/32 kits. take the new P-47 for example. The thing has full ducting for its supergharger and ratiator systems. Yet theres no way to see it when built. Same with their 1/32 A-10s. Full gun systems yet no way to show it off. Theres no loose or cutable panels. Same with the engines on that A-10 kit. Full internal compressor assembly detail. But it gets sealed up inside the ducting shield and is not invisible.

I enjoy the hobby very well , ask the members im one of the more prolific and helpful builders here, but im not about to kill myself making something that will never see the light of day again.

I can relate. I'm working on a Super vf-1a right now and almost puttied the seams on the arms, but then I thought "why when the FP covers it anyway? More shortcuts means more time to spend building other stuff, and more time to focus on the details that DO matter.

I can relate. I'm working on a Super vf-1a right now and almost puttied the seams on the arms, but then I thought "why when the FP covers it anyway? More shortcuts means more time to spend building other stuff, and more time to focus on the details that DO matter.

I love it when I can avoid doing seam lines, it's my least favorite part of modeling.

I love it when I can avoid doing seam lines, it's my least favorite part of modeling.

I didnt fill the seams but i still sanded the surfaces square to get a better flush fit for the arm armor pack.

It's true. HWR's one of the greats... but he does make fun of me for doing silly interior details as well :lol:

Hallelujah bro

If you can't see it, don't decal it and don't bother too much with the paint either that's what I say.

I hold to my original comment. I pity you HWR...

Meh take it or leave it. Wanna flame or troll around go to hobby fanatics. I know alot of people here in person so im quite comfortable where i stand. I also have a good standing with them for some years. what have you got?

Got a personal problem with me take it to the Mods or pm.

Edited by HWR MKII

Meh take it or leave it. Wanna flame or troll around go to hobby fanatics. I know alot of people here in person so im quite comfortable where i stand. I also have a good standing with them for some years. what have you got?

Got a personal problem with me take it to the Mods or pm.

I didn't realize that yours was the only valid opinion here...so sorry

I didn't realize that yours was the only valid opinion here...so sorry

Holy. Not to inflame the fire, but HWR is entitled to his opinion, and I don't disagree with it. To be honest I think you should look at yourself. He made a comment, and you responded with a highly inflammatory remark questioning his love of his hobby... How could you question that when half of this thread is made up of his models, almost all are extremely impressive. (I love the KFOR Stryker)

So you jump down on his throat for him giving his informed opinion as if you have the only informed opinion on here... THATS one of the saddest things I've seen on this forum.

I assume you have used the rough modeling clay approach to the base added to sand and stuff to build up texture and realism.

I betcha never painted the insides of the vehicle though. :)

HWR, are you going to replace the road sign with a printed one / printed outline? The hand painted one seems to stick out style wise to my eye.

I was thinking about it. I can easily pop it off the base it isnt guled in yet. I was going to go to michaels and see what they had in dry transfers. The only thing id leave is the arrows. They had a peculiar style to them

I assume you have used the rough modeling clay approach to the base added to sand and stuff to build up texture and realism.

I betcha never painted the insides of the vehicle though. :)

I laid down a layer of acrylic paste and then textured that with some crumbled drywall chunks. Basically the same thing. This will get painted in earth tones. Then ill cover it in a thick layer of clear matt and lay down the static grass. the clear matt finish works just as well as white glue but doesnt drywith a shine. This way i dont build up anything on the grass itself by having to go over it again. Once thats all dried i dust it with some earth tone pastels to tie it all in.

Yes i painted the interior of it. I painted it nato black. With figures in the openings you wont see anything anyway.

Noyhauser : Thanks. Pretty much what i had wanted to say but i said my piece already and am finished .

Edited by HWR MKII

Wow, for a while there I thought the next pain I would see while scrolling was a member's blood dripping down. :blink:

Oh, and the transport looks good HWR. The dog is a nice touch. I got the stand and accessories pack for my Leo A5. Now I'm just waiting on the tank and individual tracks. - MT

I have an in expensive vector based art program that would be great for making the sign just make it in a reasonable size and then shrink to fit and print on clear adhesive sheet. Once covered with a layer of future or whatever they are great. I used this method years ago for custom stickers for an RC car shell that was made for a competition. Come to think of it if I used decal sheet instead and my 2 grand Laser printer at work I could do decals. :)

its only a 2 in X 2 1/2 in (guesstimate) rectangle so if you want to give it a shot go ahead. I can get you a pic of the sign later. michaels didnt have any plain lettering in the right size. And theres 3 michaels stores within 5 minutes of me.

See, I'm the opposite. On a 1/1400 Ent-A, I'd have everything decaled, nothing painted. Anyways----anyone here buying the 38in Star Destroyer? The thing looks amazing just in primer:

http://randycooper.blogspot.com/

Dont have decals for the lower hull and engines unfortunately so i took the challenge and decided to see just how much of the stinkin thing i could paint.

Hey HWR MKII - I wished I knew about your 1/1400 build, I did my Enterprise (same kit as yours I believe) over ten years ago (I think when the kit first came out) and I spent the time scanning all the parts in and making decals for everything, even down to the tiny Federation stenciling on either side of the main entry hatch on the primary saucer and text on either side of the red docking ring. If you're interested I can see if I can dig up the old graphics, I think I did them in photoshop with the correct fonts, but I have to go through my old back ups - they were outputted to a colour laser printer. Here are some shots of the finished model - state of digital photographic technology is pretty poor back then so the photos don't really do it justice. BTW, all the paneling was airbrushed on, I went and drafted the aztec pattern in CAD and printed it onto frisket film - this was way before they had the pattern available as a decal - I'm a sucker for punishment!! I also did the matte/semi-gloss thing to differenciate the panel patterning - which was a bitch on something this small. I remember there was a lot of work in correcting warpage, inconsistent thicknesses, sloppy molding - generally it really was a US made yellow resin garage kit, but the only decent thing available at the time - certainly nothing like these newer Japanese Resin kits

post-244-1200365499_thumb.jpg

post-244-1200365629_thumb.jpg

post-244-1200365641_thumb.jpg

post-244-1200365650_thumb.jpg

post-244-1200365659_thumb.jpg

post-244-1200365669_thumb.jpg

post-244-1200365686_thumb.jpg

post-244-1200365698_thumb.jpg

post-244-1200365707_thumb.jpg

post-244-1200365714_thumb.jpg

Aside from some touch ups and a dull coat she is done. The dull coat should pull the contrast back on the rest of the panels and blend it all. Then ill future over the clear blue and red areas.

Man the pics are 3X larger than the model actually is. It really does look smoother in person.

post-2293-1200376408_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1200376417_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1200376425_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1200376436_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1200376445_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1200376453_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1200376463_thumb.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

You guys never fail to amaze me. Every time I look in this thread there is something that makes my stuff look like bootlegged toys. Great work everyone. ^_^

EDIT: Ups I forget to add something.

th_G-Unit25.jpg

Edited by TSP

About the star destroyer, dang! That thing must weigh more than a person!

The Enterprises looks great!

Kylwel, if you wanna destroy a model, just glue it together and throw a few fire crackers into it - it's more satisfying :lol:. Seriously though, great weathering. - MT