What's lying on your workbench? MKII

TSP

Last days of vacation were more productive for the new house than my projects.

These have popped up in their respective toy threads.

Disassembly of YF-19 GN-U.

Joint modification of VF-11 GN-U.

Weathering/Fast Packs color/ and mounting arm of YF-19 Revoltech.

Cannon Fodder VF-1J Revoltech.

Also tossed together a 1/144 Gundam Strike with IWSP, unpainted, so no photo.

post-3784-1215373550_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1215373594_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1215373619_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1215373662_thumb.jpg

Alcladding? You are applying the metal coating finish?

Very Nice! but how do you do it?

Edit: Do you have your own "home" Vapor Ion coating kit?

Alclad

Airbrushed metal finish. Every stinking piece.

Alclad

Airbrushed metal finish. Every stinking piece.

wow, that's a lot of work on priming and fine sanding.

can you use oil wash to panel line directly on the alclad? or do you need to clear coat first?

and if you clear coat after panel line and decals, how does it impact the metallicness?

wow, that's a lot of work on priming and fine sanding.

can you use oil wash to panel line directly on the alclad? or do you need to clear coat first?

and if you clear coat after panel line and decals, how does it impact the metallicness?

I clear coated then oil washed it. The Stainless Steel gets a bit shinier with a gloss coat but that's about the only impact. I used Chrome, Polished Aluminum, Stainless Steel, and Steel. The Chrome all got a coat of clear Tamiya Red over the top.

Yeah, way more work than I'd had planned. But once you start you canna go back (well, or at least I can't seem to).

I got a handful of those "Super Space-Time Models", which are knockoffs of Arii 1/170 kits and Nichimo 1/200 kits, and decided to build the 1/170 VF-1A.

The kit was a couple of per-cent smaller than the original, with paper decals instead of waterslide so options for decal use were limited. Fit of parts was a bit off in some places. For fun I just decided to build it stock, coating over the more-or-less accurate mustard brown metallic plastic it was made from. However, some of the plastic didn't want to take the white paint, even after pre-assembly washing, which was a pain because I just wanted to throw the thing together representative of its knockoff state, rather than modding it or improving it.

Battroid1Abuiltup.jpg

The box had lots of fun Engrish on it:

Battroid1A.jpg

I got a handful of those "Super Space-Time Models", which are knockoffs of Arii 1/170 kits and Nichimo 1/200 kits, and decided to build the 1/170 VF-1A.

The kit was a couple of per-cent smaller than the original, with paper decals instead of waterslide so options for decal use were limited. Fit of parts was a bit off in some places. For fun I just decided to build it stock, coating over the more-or-less accurate mustard brown metallic plastic it was made from. However, some of the plastic didn't want to take the white paint, even after pre-assembly washing, which was a pain because I just wanted to throw the thing together representative of its knockoff state, rather than modding it or improving it.

The box had lots of fun Engrish on it:

Were those those oddball Korean knock-off?

Were those those oddball Korean knock-off?

Nope, unfortunately. These are made in China and seem like dolllar-store fare, not the more elaborate and - honestly - more intriguing Korean knockoffs. But these are fun to have. I love knockoffs.

Its probably be about 18 years since I bothered to build one of these 1/170 kits, so it was a nice bit of nostalgia as well, even though the kit is sooooo dated in execution and it was more of a gaming-miniature style project. I still have a fully-built 1/170 Battroid Factory Module with a partially-built VF-1S in it, which the 1A has now made homeless... <_<

Next up will probably be a 148 Dougram kit, Yellow Sub's 1/144 Nosjadeul Ger kit, or a Diaclone Powered-Armor Gilder Type.

Edited by AcroRay

Nice little build... do you have any pics of the Diaclone kit?

Thanks! B))

Here's an instruction scan of the Diaclone kit. I've got a "Crystal Type" all-transparent version, too. But it really only required assembly and some Gundam Chrome pen! Both are the same scale as the Diaclone toys, and also include a missile-launching backpack (not pictured). They've got a vacu-formed diorama base, scaled too look like an airstrip far below.

Takara was on a little bit of a hang-glider kick with their properties back then. I've got a Dougram series Soltic ROund Facer with a similar hang-glider addition, and there was a Dougram itself with one as well.

post-1561-1215887046_thumb.jpg

I've been getting fed up over the BSG Viper Mk IV studio-scale kit debacle over at RI. It sounds like the original dude may be (finally) getting some help and they'll be available again, which is good, but I'm feeling impatient so I dragged out the foam and styrene and started cutting. Here's my start on a buck for the engine section.

post-7502-1216009772_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kremmen

Build your own, that way you'll be happy. It seems there are a lot people who get kind of 'anxious' over at RI whenever Galactica gets mentioned. Make your scratchbuild, and enjoy the process, its much more rewarding!

Gents for all the sci-fi noobs like me, what's RI?

Cowie, it's a forum called Resin Illuminati. Basically the same as the Replica Props Forum but with less heavy-handed moderation. Enjoyable as long as you're thick-skinned.

PetarB, you're not wrong. Galactica is cursed! :D

I have been enjoying working on my Mk IV quite a lot so far. These are only interim bucks; the engine section will get a quickie skin of bog then thrown into a plaster throwaway mould and cast in bondo which can then be detailed up. Partly in order to suss out the interior of the intakes and engine recess - easier to do it like that than try to incorporate them in the initial buck.

I may skip that step for the fuselage and give it a permanent permanent epoxy skin, haven't decided yet. I've skimped on lofts as you can see, so tomorrow I'll do a quick test with foam and see whether the contours look good. If so then a duplicate set of lofts get bunged on the other side, the foam gets carved down and industrial epoxy gets smeared everywhere.

In case this all looks very quick and dirty...trust me...it's much worse in person. :wacko:

Cheers,

Martyn

post-7502-1216052020_thumb.jpg

Wow, lots of TLAs over at RI. Hard to keep up... :)

Ha ha! Yeah, especially "KTM" (a banned ex-member). I've only been there a couple of months, but I think I've mostly more or less made sense of it now. Interesting place, in principle I agree with the strong orientation towards free speech. Makes it decidedly not 'family-friendly', but definitely the place for honest and unfettered discussion. Things can be said that would get you kicked off many another board, even though they might be true and in the public interest.

I thought I saw a kit for sale of this Viper version somewhere online.

Yeah, there have been two kits so far. Alfred Wong did a 1/48 version and another gentleman did a 'studio-scale' 1/24 version; that is, the scale the studio model would perhaps have been built in had there ever been one. (Being from a failed 2001 production, there would probably have been no model shooting, just CG.)

Unfortunately you can't get the 1/48 any more and the 1/24 kit was, um, "extremely controversial". Another 1/24 version was being offered via a member of RI, but that just blew up a couple of weeks ago into even greater controversy. The original fellow says he is working out the problems and a new version of his kit will be available through a professional caster with all bugs ironed out. We'll see!

It's a shame, all this fuss, because this is a really nice design. Beats the Nu BSG Mk 2, IMHO - brawnier and cooler.

Edited by Kremmen

Yeah, there have been two kits so far. Alfred Wong did a 1/48 version and another gentleman did a 'studio-scale' 1/24 version; that is, the scale the studio model would perhaps have been built in had there ever been one. (Being from a failed 2001 production, there would probably have been no model shooting, just CG.)

Unfortunately you can't get the 1/48 any more and the 1/24 kit was, um, "extremely controversial". Another 1/24 version was being offered via a member of RI, but that just blew up a couple of weeks ago into even greater controversy. The original fellow says he is working out the problems and a new version of his kit will be available through a professional caster with all bugs ironed out. We'll see!

It's a shame, all this fuss, because this is a really nice design. Beats the Nu BSG Mk 2, IMHO - brawnier and cooler.

I'm thrilled to see you just do your own. And I'm stoked that you've got the curve on top of the engine area that shows in profile where the top fin attaches. Nobody's done that yet. I await more progress shots with baited breath.

Hey, thanks, Cobywan! I thought that the MM/Gil kit did have that curve? Must go have another look. That curve is really important to the design. I'm taking my dims and proportions as much from the original study model as possible. Obviously a bit of guesswork involved here and there but I think I've got them pretty reasonably close. I'm also thinking of using the oval inner intakes from the full-size mockups, if I can get them to look at all decent. Round jet-style ones probably would look better though.

I'm happy to post more pics but I don't want to hijack this thread into a build thread. I could post one at RI but given all the recent argy-bargy there it's probably asking for trouble! Maybe I'll do it at the RPF. I roughed out half of the fuselage last night and will do the other half tonight; hopefully should be able to take a few more pics. I'm looking forward to casting this up in bondo and scribing it up.

Cheers,

Martyn

Damn JFG, that looks amazing! I recognise all the 'usual' techniques, but the way you put them together really shows your talent. Well done mate! I didn't realise the Viper was so tiny!

Great job.

This is not a viper but it is the last of the Moscata Destroid line. Enjoy.

Sweeet! (And Destroid buildups always look so much more impressive against the background of a nice, clean home!)

Good work, brother!