What's lying on your workbench? MKII

TSP

• 4 weeks later...

Is everyone taking the summer off? It's been almost a month since the last post. Of course, I can't say anything, I haven't modeled anything in a year. Still have that F-15E, F-14A, F-8E, and F-18A to finish... (F-15E's furthest along) And my USS Iowa, and DKM Tirpitz (those are LONG-term kits, maybe I'll be done 5 years from now)

I have a Fine Molds Y-wing awaiting a start. But right now im still tackling my AT-AT. Installed an LED in the head and im trying to cram as much studio model correct detail into it as i can. The legs are mostly done. I just have to scribe the feet, fit any missing greeblies to the underbelly, final assembly and paint.

Where did you get all the correct greeblies from ?

I studied pictures of the movie models and scratch built what wasnt there. Its mostly strip details on the legs and alot of scribed and engraved details. Prett easy overall once i found the right width of strip styrene. The chin lasers were lobbed off and trimmed down. Then i took some 1/72 King Tiger barrels cut to fit and glued them on.

Edited by HWR MKII

It is THAT seamless. They replicated the detail so well you can see the 3 phillips and one flathead screws on it that hold the head of the cockpit together. They are on the underside.

They got the details on the falcon that close too. Theres a few allen head screws on that which were replicated too.

Tamiya extra thin cement and some tight rubber bands during construction help too.

Edited by HWR MKII

It is THAT seamless. They replicated the detail so well you can see the 3 phillips and one flathead screws on it that hold the head of the cockpit together. They are on the underside.

They got the details on the falcon that close too. Theres a few allen head screws on that which were replicated too.

Tamiya extra thin cement and some tight rubber bands during construction help too.

WoW! I love the Y-Wing!

That looks fantastic! I love the details - please post pictures when you're done (or at least let me know) I'd love to see what you do with it. Its looking great so far, really nice kit. I was toying with getting it, but I already have the 1/48 SMT Y-Wing resin (back when there was nothing else available). But now seeing your pictures - I'm temped again... but I also have the FM Falcon, which will take forever if I ever get around to it?!

Its so much fun to weather Star Wars rebel fighters! Its where I learned all my techniques on - just don't build anything else right after one - they all appear so trashed! :lol:

I love it when they are that detailed, it really serves well if you are that anal about authenticity.

If it dont look right it aint right thats what I say

Tamiya extra thin and a collection of rubberbands should be in every builders construction kit.

Edited by big F

Ill be posting more pics tonigt. So far the only changes are 2 coats of future, decals another coat of future and the oil wash. Next up is dullcoat, pastels, chipping and another layer of dullcoat.

Ill be posting more pics tonigt. So far the only changes are 2 coats of future, decals another coat of future and the oil wash. Next up is dullcoat, pastels, chipping and another layer of dullcoat.

Hmm, another layer of dullcoat after the chipping eh? Doesn't the dullcoat well... dull the silver of the chipping? Do you paint the chipping on top - or do you scrap away the paint to reveal the silver beneath?

No silver will be used. I will be using greys and whites on it where applicable. The filming models didnt have any silver on them just chips through the layers of paint and streaks of other color on top. This model is nowhere near the size of a studio Y wing though so the effect will be getting replicated with paint. Im laying down a final layer of dullcoat to even out the look for the scale and seal in the pastels. The first coat of dullcoat is to give the pastels something to stick to. Gloss+Pastel = not good.

Aside from the pilot the Y-wing is done. The base coat is testors Light Grey cut about 25% with tamiya flat white. future, decals and a second coat of future were applied. I only used the 3 yellow decals and the R2 unit decals. The "blue " ones were too bright to me and compared to the 3 reference books i have with this particular Y wing in them. I mixed the best match i could using tamiya paints. The model was given a dulcoat then pastels were used to tone and dirty up certain areas and to add the more feathered streaks. Then more paint chips were added to again match the references on hand. The model was then given a final dull coat to seal the pastels and even out the tone on the paint chips.

Overall this kit has to be one of the best models i have built since the Fine Molds Falcon. No putty as needed and the parts fit was "almost" perfect.

I hope you enjoy the pics as much as i enjoyed building it.

post-2293-1185252345_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1185252354_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1185252363_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1185252372_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1185252382_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1185252395_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1185252403_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1185252414_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1185252424_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1185252433_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1185252444_thumb.jpg

That looks great man! I guess I'm going to have to get that kit. The precision of the fit that everyone is raving about would be very nice.

I'm currently working on a 1/72 A-6 Intruder model and the fit on it is horrendous! :angry: But it was very cheap, so I guess you get what you pay for. <_<

Sweet Y-Wing! And I notice an A-Wing in the background of some of the pics too...

As for my workbench, I resumed work on a GM-Custom that I started last year. It's got something of a Flanker-esque camo scheme on it, but it's only about 7o% done at this point. I've still got the little fiddly bits to paint and attach, decals and a flat coat to do...

Fantastic! Really well done HWR MKII!!

I loved your paint chips, especially the ones that have the lighter ring of white around them - they look really like the grey coat has worn down to the metal. How did you do those? Did you just paint on top by brush? If so, couldn't you tell it was painted on top since there is the slight thickness to the paint as its applied over the basecoat (in real life I mean - they look fantastic in the pictures, but I find photos can hide a host of sins)

I'd love to see your Falcon too - I can't wait to start on that, but I just don't see when I'm ever going to find the time. Did you light that as well? I got the photo-etched landing baffles too. How did you light the Y-Wing, is the battery inside the model? How do you access it once it runs out? What about the switch?

Thanks for sharing!

Wm

Hey WM This is a surprise! Norally were asking you 50 questions.

First for the lighting. In short each engine is a self contained unit with light, circuit, batteries and on off switch inside each one. This eases troubleshooting if one has issues i can just take the front cap and the nozzle out and remove the whole assembly. its pretty easy to do. A better explanation can be found here.

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/php...p=765728#765728

As for the scratches they are painted right over the base coating. The trick is to use a thin paint. once dry and dullcoated over you cant tell its painted over. Its just the light grey base coat with dark ghost grey for the darker parts. I also used some of my "blue" mixed for the rings and canopy on the nacell fronts. Some scratches are also decals included in the kit but not all were covered. The ones on the nose where it looks brownish were replicated using photos of the same filming model in Star Wars Chronicles. one of the best SW references around.

I didnt light the falcon. When i got it the PE parts and clear engine parts werent on the market yet. I can post some pics later if you like.

I never knew of that book, but after looking it up, now I want it. There's one question which will decide if it's worth the money (that's a lot of money, even for a large art book IMHO):

How are the B-Wing references? B-wing stuff is almost non-existant. There's a few pics at Starship modeler, and one decent pic in my "Technical Journal of the Rebel Forces"--but that's about it. I want pages of B-wing stuff. Every detail, every angle. If there's a well-known ship in SW that's undocumented, it's the B-Wing.

I never knew of that book, but after looking it up, now I want it. There's one question which will decide if it's worth the money (that's a lot of money, even for a large art book IMHO):

How are the B-Wing references? B-wing stuff is almost non-existant. There's a few pics at Starship modeler, and one decent pic in my "Technical Journal of the Rebel Forces"--but that's about it. I want pages of B-wing stuff. Every detail, every angle. If there's a well-known ship in SW that's undocumented, it's the B-Wing.

Theres a 2 page spread for each ship in the booksome show under construction shots others are just the finished model. In the case of the B-wing its just the finished filming model. A couple decent shots of it. This combined with the old 1980s Technical Journal could get a decent model built.

Thanks HWR MKII!

I'll keep it in mind whenever I get around to my Star Wars stuff! (I hope soon). Glad to see another dad being able to continue his modeling hobby - haven't quite figured out the free time thing yet, but dads like you give me inspiration that someday it may return! :unsure:

David, do get the Chronicles book (especially now that its back in print I think) - its by far the best SW book! Highly recommended. Its even better than Sculpting the Galaxy (both of which I have), but between the two, you've got everything published outside of people's own shots at the traveling exhibition of the movie prop (Chronicles is better).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those look great. You know, I always thought the designers were at an American Indian museum looking at arrow heads when they got an idea what the baddies warships should look like :rolleyes: - MT

Not Macross, but I thought you guys might like it....It is the Fine Molds 1/72 scale Delta-7 Jedi Starfighter.....This color scheme is the one belonging to a Jedi named Ploo Koon, he gets shot down after order "66" is given, this is the ship he was flying. There were no decal options for this paint scheme so I had to mask it all, it was a quite the chore. Anyway enjoy the pics!

I also have a WIP of a Has VF1-S Bat that is almost done I will post pics of that soon.

Ashton

post-5465-1187706428_thumb.jpg

post-5465-1187706453_thumb.jpg

post-5465-1187706500_thumb.jpg