Star Wars: Deleted Magic

For years I had heard about there being footage of Luke watching the opening battle with his long range binoculars so this was the first time I ever got to see that (unfortunately it's a grainy black and white image and they used audio from the Star Wars radio adaption).

So far I've watched the first 12 parts.

The "First cut" with Luke using his macrobinoculars and watching the battle along with his visit to Tosche station to visit Biggs and his friends has deteriorated to this black and white that we see now. It used to be color. :( Apparently Lucas cut all of the scenes with Luke and his friends because somebody called it "American Graffiti in space".

Edited by meh_cd

Nothing really new to someone who threw away their childhood and early adulthood to Star Wars, but still a fun little compilation. I don't think I've heard that audio snippet of Garrick Hagon talking about his role as Biggs.

As much as I like the whole Biggs-Luke/Toshi Station gang sequence and enjoy it in the radio drama and a few other places (like the original comic adaptation), I'm glad it never made the movie. It's a long, drawn out sequence that's all exposition. Heck, if all the political and economic banter of the prequels killed you, this sequence has an early glimpse of it as Biggs talks about the Emperor taking over banks and such.

Besides, the whole introduction of Luke as it currently stands is near perfect in tone, music, and pacing.

One scene that I don't want put back in, but would like to see finished just for the kick of it is the whole C-3P0 door sign ripping sub-story. Basically, wampas attacked the Rebel base early in the movie and the rebels sealed off the portion of the base the snow creatures resided in. When the stormtroopers assault the base, Threepio walks over to the door with the warning on it and in a moment of pure evil that would make his maker proud, he tears off the warning. So, when the stormtroopers get there, they check it out and... ARGH! Crunch!!! Chomp!!! Eeeek!! Burp. :D I sort of still want to know what George was thinking in writing up that sequence... forget Asimov's laws of robotics, Threepio (at least once Tony Daniels changed him from used car dealer to English butler) always struck me as the type who would apologize before punching someone, much less send people to gory deaths....

C3-P0 is really HK-47 in disguise. hah hah... have to seethe lost footage. Sounds interesting, and the problem with Lucas is he is too much of a conformist, and now too smart a business person. The secret footage should bring in another few hundred million. I'm waiting for the remastered version of the prequels.

In Star Wars, in the scene where stormtroopers enter the Death Star room with the red walls where R2 and 3PO are monitoring Luke and the rest down in the trash compactors, the trooper on the far right busts his head on the door coming in. It's pretty funny and made it into the film.

I noticed when watching the Special Edition on HBO HiDef the other day that they actually gave the guy an "Umph" sound effect, in effect highlighting their blooper. Probably an inside joke at Lucasfilm.

I would like to have the option for all of these deleted scenes to be displayed in the movie ala T2 Ultimate/Extreme seemless branching. It would require a new score to be done, though but I'm sure as part of an Ultimate 6-Disc set it could be well worth it (think of being able to 'build your own cut' version taking out chapters, etc - switch Greedo shooting first, last, or at the same time as Han, Hayden-Ghost or Sebastian-Shaw-Ghost, "Bring my shuttle!" or "Alert my Star Destroyer...", etc etc.

All the raped childhoods could find a measure of therapy and the rest of us could get to enjoy some goodies mixed back in. The whole nascent Rebellion subplot for Ep 3 would be nice. I would particularly like to see the original Ep3 Sidious/Jedi duel (Anakin decides to join Sidious in his office and never goes back and spills the beans to Mace and is watching the whole duel, though he doesn't take action until Mace is ready to kill Sidious just as with the release version). We know it was shot and then Lucas changed his mind post production and had some pickups done to "fix" it. Finish some special effects, go through a wizard and there you go.

This would probably be something that would require iHD(i) on HD-DVD and/or BD-Java for Blu-ray rather than something possible with "ordinary DVD."

In Star Wars, in the scene where stormtroopers enter the Death Star room with the red walls where R2 and 3PO are monitoring Luke and the rest down in the trash compactors, the trooper on the far right busts his head on the door coming in. It's pretty funny and made it into the film.

I noticed when watching the Special Edition on HBO HiDef the other day that they actually gave the guy an "Umph" sound effect, in effect highlighting their blooper. Probably an inside joke at Lucasfilm.

It was left in on purpose. Jango hits his head on Slave I's entry door in AOTC. Apparently the clones are as clumsy as Jango. (yeah yeah are Stormtroopers clones? Depends on who you ask)

I've always guessed that the two XWings were Luke and Wedge. But I've always wondered who was in that Y Wing. Because those Y Wings looked slow as molasses during their trench run I figured they would have been wiped out real quick. That guy has to be the luckiest pilot in the universe.

LOL. I've always wondered about that as well. I kinda figured it was the same Y-Wing pilot who, in ROTJ, managed to shoot down 2 Tie Interceptors in quick sequence. After having played every X-Wing/Tie Fighter Star Wars flight combat sim, I always think to myself "WTF, those guys must be retarded to get owned like that by a Y-Wing." :lol:

LMAO!!

Glad they didn't keep Vader's original voice--makes him seem much less intimidating than J. Earl Jones'.

Too bad they didn't keep Chewbacca's original voice---that was priceless!

--The old man's mad.

--You can say that again, Chewie. :D

Shame, really. Some of those scenes really should have made their way back into the film, like the story development with Biggs et. al. Would have preferred that to the bunch of CG pan shots of planet/city backdrops [can we say 'superfluous fluff'?] that we got instead.

LMAO!!

Glad they didn't keep Vader's original voice--makes him seem much less intimidating than J. Earl Jones'.

Too bad they didn't keep Chewbacca's original voice---that was priceless!

--The old man's mad.

--You can say that again, Chewie. :D

Shame, really. Some of those scenes really should have made their way back into the film, like the story development with Biggs et. al. Would have preferred that to the bunch of CG pan shots of planet/city backdrops [can we say 'superfluous fluff'?] that we got instead.

haha I used to work with the guy who made this. He gave me a copy of it along with copies of his remastered Classic edition Starwars trilogy. This was back in the beginning of 2006. months before Lucas released the DVD last month.

• 2 months later...

It was left in on purpose. Jango hits his head on Slave I's entry door in AOTC. Apparently the clones are as clumsy as Jango. (yeah yeah are Stormtroopers clones? Depends on who you ask)

It wasn't left in to be funny. It was left in because nobody would notice it and film is expensive. Indeed, it was not widely noticed until the home video era and the internet. I must have seen ANH a hundred times before I had this pointed out to me!

As for adding a sound effect to it now, that sums up everything that went wrong with Star Wars right there. Gags, pratfalls, and fart jokes at (dramatically and narratively) inappropriate moments. Not just in the new movies, but retroactively added the the older ones.

As the guy at swlegacy.com said: "If God himself had put in the klunk, it would be wrong." But, I've already gone into this here. So I'll spare everyone.

As for the C-3P0 sign ripping scene HECK YEAH! Was that footage lost or not? I've only seen a screenshot that looked to be of reasonable quality.

The scene was never shot in it's entirety because they never finished making the complete Wampa costume in Empire, which is why when it attacks Luke you only ever see the head and claw. Since the costume was never finished, they weren't able to shoot footage of the wampa(s) actually attacking the storm troopers, only the footage of C-3P0 ripping off the sign was shot.

They did finish making the Wampa costume for the Empire SE, so theoretically the scene could be very easily recreated since only costumed characters appear in it (storm troopers, wampa(s), and C-3P0).

I think we should have an official SW thread for the upcoming 30th anniversary.

Hey, just think; It was 10 years ago today that a certain segment of the fan base collectively got their childhoods sodomized by Star Wars: A New Hope SE. You'd think they would have moved on with their lives by now....ah, why bother trying to rationalize it anymore?

Hey, just think; It was 10 years ago today that a certain segment of the fan base collectively got their childhoods sodomized by Star Wars: A New Hope SE. You'd think they would have moved on with their lives by now....ah, why bother trying to rationalize it anymore?

Why is it any criticizm of SW whatsoever always leads to you appearing in a puff of smoke?

I actually stopped myself from posting this earlier: "bsu will be dropping by to sanctimoniously mock everyone who criticizes SW in three. . . two. . . one." Now I'm kicking myself. ;)

Sadly, this is from a now-deleted thread:

Actually, I had a thought about the whole "fanboy" label on the weekend. An epiphany, if you will. Strangely enough, it came to me while I was reading a Call of Duty board. See, the fanboy thing can go either way. It can be people who are so in love with something they refuse to see any fault in it. Or they can be the ubercritical nitpickers who wish something had stayed the way it used to be.

This, after months of me trying to make this very point to you. "Hey, you know what I just thought of. . .?" :lol:

Among the fanboys, the fanboy who calls others fanboys is king.

SW-SE was fine with me, besides the original version I wasn`t really satisfied with it, I always used to say that something was missing and especially with E4 and E5.

Yeah, I'd much rather see the strings and matte boxes around the TIE Fighters. Or maybe not. ;)

But yeah, hopefully I'll get my Blu-ray version of Star Wars for the 30th anniversary and they can include all these scenes. Seamlessly branch whether I want Greedo shooting first, at the same time, or not at all...

Edited by Uxi

hopefully I'll get my Blu-ray version of Star Wars for the 30th anniversary and they can include all these scenes. Seamlessly branch whether I want Greedo shooting first, at the same time, or not at all...

Whichever format scores the SW massive double trilogy release may just as well win the format war based on the strength and moving power of that title alone.

is there a way to buy this deleted scenes thing?

Sure, just go to any small con and pay 10 to 15 bucks for something that was intended to be distributed for free. <_<

Myspleen should still have it, as should Demonoid.

Personally, I can't stand the SE, but as long as both versions ae available, I don't really care. :ph34r: