Zentradis

Valkyrie addict

sigh

No offense but topics like this really bug me. They just show how much misinformation is out there.

Yes Zentraedi had technicians. No army or navy is without them. Who do you think shrunk the spies? A Technician. Who operates the sensors and communications equipment. Who sees that rutine maintenace is done. Technicians. Your typical Battle Pod Pilot is not going to be trained in how to do those things. They may make up the majority of the Zentraedi forces but they're not trained in every single possible thing.

That sir, is an assumption. There is no displayed proof there are technicians aboard. Let's remember that the Zenteadi were created by the protoculture and a race capable of bio engineering a race of giants could conceivably create an army of automated machines who do the "parts replacement". If said machines break down it is also conceivable that they would be replaced at either a factory or at Bodolza's base. Assuming there would have to be a technician class because "we" have them is presumtive at best. It is also presumtive to assume that the Zent soldier was incapable of running sensor equipment and the like. For all we know, all could have such skill and simply rotated into the duty on a set schedule. There is no concrete evidence such a "class" exists outside of assumptions.

As for the different sexes knowing and working together, of course they did. Watch the series. The spies knew of Millia's reputation. And they were transported back to earth on a purple "female" ship crewed by men that was under whatshername's command. So yes they knew of each other and fought along side together. They just weren't on the same ships together. And they didn't have any reason to talk to each other other than to give and receive orders.

I believe you are mistaken. The spies were transported to the Macross by Millia the best pilot in Lap Lamis' fleet, aka the best chance the spies had of getting aboard.

Lap Lamis was put in charge of the armada by Breetai while he went back to report to Bodolza, she commanded Zentrans, but her ship was not crewed by them. They did fight within the same forces, but did not serve aboard the same ships. That was forbidden. That is why the Zentrans who first encountered cohabitating males and females were so shocked.

That sir, is an assumption. There is no displayed proof there are technicians aboard. Let's remember that the Zenteadi were created by the protoculture and a race capable of bio engineering a race of giants could conceivably create an army of automated machines who do the "parts replacement". (...)

Lap Lamis was put in charge of the armada by Breetai while he went back to report to Bodolza, she commanded Zentrans, but her ship was not crewed by them. They did fight within the same forces, but did not serve aboard the same ships. That was forbidden. That is why the Zentrans who first encountered cohabitating males and females were so shocked.

If it is true that the Protoculture made an army of automated machines to do parts replacement, why weren't the war machines of the Zentraedi also fully automated? Why even design giant sized biological soldiers that waste resources like space, require heat, food, water, and training to maintain their skills? Robots that are only activated when needed are a lot more efficient then biological warriors. So why the heavy reliance on them?

The evidence is strongly in the favor of technicians in the Zentraedi fleet.

And Nathan didn't say that the Zentraedi males were serving onboard mixed with Zentraedi females. He said that the Zentraedi males (with no females) were serving aboard a ship painted the same colour as other ships in the female fleet.

If it is true that the Protoculture made an army of automated machines to do parts replacement, why weren't the war machines of the Zentraedi also fully automated? Why even design giant sized biological soldiers that waste resources like space, require heat, food, water, and training to maintain their skills? Robots that are only activated when needed are a lot more efficient then biological warriors. So why the heavy reliance on them?

Perhaps because the difference between an automated robot and a truely adaptable, thinking pilot is a major advantage in combat? :)

Perhaps the Protoculture had the same problem with A.I. that the humans did; unstable, psychotic minds. Far more likely and doesn't require any supposition beyond what has already been shown in the Macross universe.

I was thinking along the lines of machines eventually break down (including, and most likely the first being the communications link to the protocultures/creators/factory satellite), whereas when the food supply (or whatever) breaks down, a living, breathing humanoid is going to do something about it (well along the lines of a "truly adaptable, thinking pilot").

Of course humanoids can break down too. But in the Zentraedi society they simply get shot, and replaced before too much damage happens.

But hey, self-aware, psychotic AIs works too.

Edited by sketchley

I was thinking along the lines of machines eventually break down (including, and most likely the first being the communications link to the protocultures/creators/factory satellite), whereas when the food supply (or whatever) breaks down, a living, breathing humanoid is going to do something about it (well along the lines of a "truly adaptable, thinking pilot").

Probably because an automated mecha is too expensive and requires design compromises to fit it with automation/self-maintenance equipment. Thus it's easier and cheaper to make dedicated war machines and then have seperate automated maintenance robots to maintain them.

Either way, technicians or maintenance robots, the point being there is some minimum level of technical work being done by the Zentradi fleets in order to function.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the thread necromancy. But I was reading this topic and wanted to add my two cents.

I tend to agree with those that believe that the Zents weren't completely ignorant of technical issues.

What makes me think along these lines are the three Zentraedi infiltrators. In one episode, they were obviously prepping their modified Regult for the return trip to the fleet. If I remember right, they were using tools to do the job. And the fact that they were covered in grime reminded me of mechanics after spending time on a job.

While I don't believe that they were true engineers, they did understand basic equipment maintanence/repair. Just like troops in any military organization.

Just my two cents worth.

I recently purchased the entire set of "This is animation: SDF:M". In it, there is a picture of the bridge of Breetai's flagship after Max has busted through the screen at the rear, and a replacement screen has been mounted inside the ruins of the old screen.

The repairs took place well before Breetai became allies with humans,

I'm sure it has been previously mentioned in this thread (too lazy to reread it at this time.) Nevertheless, it is strong evidence that there are personnel trained to do at least minor repair/replacement. In this case, not only do the wires to the new screen have to be properly connected, but the screen must be mounted properly, so that it doesn't fall off in heavy manuevers, etc.. Not to mention that the big hole in the bulkhead that Max left needed to be replaced/filled in with wall.

I can see Breetai saying, "damn, it's drafty in here! Call the Super." :lol:

Edited by sketchley