Macross DYRL...In English!

Hikuro

I'm using the Zentradie language.....it's hard to type out cause they don't have a concept of word breaking, it's all just sort of slurred in there......so it's not like The Dog Runs Fast.....it's like Thedogrunsfastreallyfast.

So at itmes it's hard to do a line.

HERES A SAMPLE OF WHAT'S BEEN DONE BY MY VA'S

Edited by Hikuro

I'm having casting issues and lack of time to reallysit down cause it's more complex in mixing then DYRL is...only 4 actors are actuallyfinished with their lines.......everyone else needs a kick in the ass, and I had to replace my Roy Fokker, which I'm having him tackle the DYRL lines for the first 13 minutes soon, then I'll have him tackle Zero.

Thanks for the comment.

As of now I have a Roy Fokker and an Exadore.....so all I'm missing is Kaifun, and it looks like I may have to look for a new Hayao Kahazaki since the original VA has gone astray.

well 1st i just want to thank Hikuro. really.

. i mean its been a real pain that the whole legal battle over the liscensing of Macross Zero and DYRL.

has prevented that liscensing of them both.

honestly. i think we should thank god that Harmony Gold allowed ADV to dub the original series.

don't get me wrong i mean i like robotech for what it is. and i'm looking foward to shadow chronicles when it FINALLY gets released but the whole Robotech thing really messed it all up.

i still think its a shame that a dub from MAcross Plus movie edition was never released. the OAV version of PLUS sucks. and don't even get me started on how bad the Macross II dub is.

if we're lucky maybe by the time our grandchildren are born maybe well get a real dub release of zero and dyrl/flashback 2021.

but with these dubs you're putting together. will surely hold us over until that day comes.

i mean the voices are alittle rough in certain spots but for the most part the voice cast and the performances are really solid. It's pretty close to a real professional dub.

this must've been a really ambitous effort.

maybe these fandubs will motivate those dub companies and HG to allow the liscening of all other macross stuff.

i can't wait to get it all burned onto dvd-r's and watch em at home.

god bless you.

also great Job on tekkaman Blade too!

the teknoman dub from the 90's really sucked!!!

Edited by Bhayes1

Thanks for the comments, you really don't know how much that means to people like myself who try to take fandubing probably a bit too seriously.

Producers like myself really try to aim at what fans dislike about dubs from groups like ADV *cough* or Harmony Gold and other companies (I just like picking on those two cause it's fun)....We try to get name pronounciations right with Dark Heroes (my group, we're not a liscened group either, sadly, maybe one day) we do alot of research and we do what we can, or make a compermise...

We mostly strive to make the fans enjoy what an english dub is suppose to be, fun, exciting, and something you wanna watch again and again, not because there isn't anything good to watch after that, but because you thought it was too damn good to pass up another moment without it.

My work on Tekkaman was probably what I'd call a demo of what I can do now....the dub of Tekkaman was rough, edgy, it needed lots of refienment....then Macross Zero came along, it was hard, sweaty, bloody, I almost thought I wouldn't finish it....but then I found ways to make it sound good, to make it believable as a true "professional" dub...something to make HG and ADV go "Oh snap we've been beaten by ameatures!"

DYRL will probably be one of the final dubs I'll produce with only Macross Zero left afterwards, then maybe....I'll have to call it over cause well, you can't do anything better then that unless the fans cry for more.

THIS SUNDAY I will be posting information on a group site I've had for over a year called Project Macross, it's basically w here I post information bout my latest works and how people can get involved.

Since Macross Zero 2-5 are on hold I can work on DYRL...my entire free time will be consumed by making ppl go ooooooooooh and aaawwww in the next 3-6 months.

Now as for DVD's....DVD's are tricky for me....sometimes they burn, sometimes they don't <<<<waisted 20 some odd DVD blanks just trying to do M0....

And I'm never satasfied with the outcome of the DVD experince....I'm hoping to c hange that with DYRL.

Things I'd like to do 1) Amazing cover art, something close to the style of the great Mikimoto

2) Possibly animated DVD menu's, or something flash that'll make the viewer enjoy just hitting the buttons.

3) Bonus Materials like A) the PSX FMV's (Yes I have done one) B) Behind the scenes of making DYRL in english C) Cast Commentary D) A look at what Macross is like to fans (this will be big on MW'ers parts)

And how Macross has evolved in the 25 years.

3) Encouragment by the fans most of all.

Then, put all of those on a nice VOB file, and people can download 'em, burn 'em to DVD themselves and enjoy it for what it is, FREAKIN MACROSS!

So again, pay attention Sunday night, I'll have everything people will need to know how to get Macross DYRL done and ready for the fans!

Hmmmm hopefully I'll get out everything I need for the big news deal tonight.....I caught a whicked cold since my last posting here and it's really affecting my brain 0_o I'm like zoning out from time to time....

Anyways....I'll get something up a lil later.

Hmmmm hopefully I'll get out everything I need for the big news deal tonight.....I caught a whicked cold since my last posting here and it's really affecting my brain 0_o I'm like zoning out from time to time....

Anyways....I'll get something up a lil later.

Keep up the good work.

Again. the DYRL & Zero fandubs rock. atleast before you hang up your gloves please finish off with zero & dyrl.

hopefully you'll get to II: Lovers Again and PLUS movie edition.

It's really a big frustration for me.

i mean when i was young i loved robotech. but when i got the dvds i was like, WTF!. This really sucks. this show is crap-o-la

i mean i again like robotech from what it is. its a campy classic. it really laid the foundation for taking anime to where it is now. so i don't spit on it. but i'd prefer a more accurate dub of Mospeada and Sounthern cross.

don't even get me started on the so-called "remastered" series. Hopefully funimation and HG will do a "REAL" remastered series someday.

so it was then i started to appreciate Macross for what it really was. but let me tell you somehting i NEED my anime's in english. japan and the japanese languange/culture is very alien to me. hearing the fast, high-pitched phonetics of the japanese language really give me a headache and don't allow me to relate to characters. But when the DUB is bad it makes that problem worse.

but again as we all know Robotech ruined all that.

so there really isn't any continuity between the dubbing and the quality of the performances within each of the MACROSS dubs being that they were all done a different times and by different dub teams.

macross, thanks to robotech will forever be confused as the contuniation of the Macross Saga of Robotech and anime new comers will get confused.

so giving us this will helps ease things.

i like the fact that gundam was held off til 2000 and now both Ocean Group and the other Dub company on the west coast along with bandai ent doing the distrubution have put out a series of 5 star dubs IMO.

also is what you're doing legal. i guess it is. i guess as long as its a FAN thing i guess it doesn't matter.

and not to go off the subject but

you mentioned making dvds and dvd menus and so on. glad you brought that up

i'm actually interested in learning how that process works. could you send me some links to some sites that explain how it all works?

apparently the process is called DVD AUTHORING. but there is a science to it that i don't understand.

ya see i'm also a gundam fan. and while i LOVE the Gundam DUBS i think that Bandai -Ent when they switched over to doing dvds. alot of their 1st dvds were really CRAPTACULAR and most of their 1st dvds were gundam dvds.

thank good they RE-RELEASED Cowboy Bebop the menus are so much better too.

and i want to someday make my own personalized gundam dvds, something better than what bandai put together and so on. but its really a complex process apprently

, but i can't help it i know you understand the idea of taking something too serously, unfortunately i'm a nitpicker like that

can you help me with some links or tutorial or maybe even a book on it?

Again. the DYRL & Zero fandubs rock. atleast before you hang up your gloves please finish off with zero & dyrl.

hopefully you'll get to II: Lovers Again and PLUS movie edition.

Well the plan will always be to finish Zero, it just as a more realistic sound then traditional anime does, which makes it very difficult to mix.

DYRL is going to be alot smoother then zero was, but don't get me wrong, Zero turned out really well, I probably have less nitpicking issues with it myself then I do with other dubs, but DYRL could surpass that.

As for MII and PLUS, That's a different issue....see, in all technical aspect, Macross II the movie is already dubbed, and I think in most cases the dub is pretty good....not too mention I don't mind the music score...but it would be a pain in the ass to mix with the battle scenes in it.

As for Plus....it never did get an English dub, I don't get why Manga didn't do that....if I knew where I could get a DVD of the Movie edition....I could possibly think about it and maybe mess around wit hit, but you'd be looking at maybe 2008/2009 before it'd be released....it's a very pain staking process for a masterpiece like that to stay as masterpiece by ameature mixing.

But I have recieved a request for it already by another fan.

so it was then i started to appreciate Macross for what it really was. but let me tell you somehting i NEED my anime's in english. japan and the japanese languange/culture is very alien to me. hearing the fast, high-pitched phonetics of the japanese language really give me a headache and don't allow me to relate to characters. But when the DUB is bad it makes that problem worse.

I hear this rarely, but I do hear this, some fans enjoy the shows for what they are, but can't get along with either th eoriginal music or the japanese voicing cast of the original....I've heard this alot in shows like Dragonball Z, they just can't listen to Goku sounding like a girl etc etc...but they also don't like FUNI or SABAN dubs....

you mentioned making dvds and dvd menus and so on. glad you brought that up

i'm actually interested in learning how that process works. could you send me some links to some sites that explain how it all works?

apparently the process is called DVD AUTHORING. but there is a science to it that i don't understand.

There really isn't a tutortial really to look up to get specifically what you want.....you sort of gotta shop around for programs that are gonna fit for whatyou want....then go thru a trail and error like I've done a dozen times....sometimes I'll like the menu settings, and then suddenly I'll figure out something else by messing around and perfer the new menu settings instead.

Or I can get optimal picture and audio quality if I convert the file this way or t hat......you really just gotta shop around and try it yourself. I mostly use Nero7, Cool Edit Pro2.0, Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Priemier, DvixToDVD/VSO program etc etc to get what I want.

also is what you're doing legal. i guess it is. i guess as long as its a FAN thing i guess it doesn't matter.

Technically no it's not legal at all, even if the property liscenes is in japan it's still not legal.

A good friend of mine was working on the Casshern movie in english, and while Gofish has been taking it's sweet ass time releasing the film which is nearly 3 years old, the original production group in Japan, it's name escapes my mind, has sent her a C&D order on the film just before she completed it.

Is she continueing the movie or did she stop, I'm not at obligation to say for her sake, but the work she did was fantastic for a live action film, better then what I could do.

Now seeing as HG believes they own the rights to DYRL, they could very easily give me a C&D order because it carries the likeness of Robotech in so many ways shape and form. However, the actual rights to DYRL are up in the air and because I'm not releasing this for profit and for purely entertainment....I don't see why I should be legalized in not doing it. I hope I don't....I don't think I'd stop even if I were to get it.

As for my big posting....I'm holding it back till I get better and more clear headed.....I've got alot going on with the first 13 minutes of the film nearly completed, then I gotta recheck the script making sure everythings in order before i send it off to the cast.

Here's the scoop...

1) If you wish to take part in the production I'm really lookingn for male voice talent. No real skills is required, just have the common sense of knowing what is acting and what is pure cheese (ala Clash of the Bionoids would be cheese)

2) Decent mic, something that doesn't pick up alot of static background, puffs and hissing, and not sounding Nassaly...like you got a cold or a lisp.

I would suggest Headset microphones, they're comfortable and can be adjusted...like Logitech is a good brand and it's cheap, 15-20 bucks.

I don't recommend Desktop mics unless they're high quality, they tend to make you sound far away and pick up alot of noise in the background cause of that.

3) Timely fashion of turning in lines, alot of the stuff I have available are only extras, I'd like to get as much possible for various male talent instead of giving actors double or triple duty where the variety of voices in the film just start to become noticable that the same actor is being used alot.

Since there are mostly just extras are available just send me a vocal sample ofyourself telling me you wish to become part of the voice talent cast, if the quality seems okay to me (you might not think so but I could be thinking different so it doesn't hurt to help) You'll get a reply back with a download link and what character you'll be playing.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H6CAZ4YF here is a link for Kaifun the last character for this time I will beholding auditionsn for until I find out the other actors status (haven't heard from a few ppl recently)

You can email me at ssj_dyson@hotmail.com and please title the subject line as "Macross Auditions" and send out either a WAV or MP3 format file with your auditions or shout outs that you wanna be apart of the cast and we can get started.

^_^ I'm hoping to complete this before spring.

Cool that'll be helpful.

Okay poll time, I've been argueing on the pronounciation of Macross tonight with a cast member, they pronounce it as Muhcross, I'm telling them Mackross as everyone is use too.

Which would you be okay with?

Muhcross (like in ADV)

Mackross (like Robotech, Macross II and Macross Plus)

Cool that'll be helpful.

Okay poll time, I've been argueing on the pronounciation of Macross tonight with a cast member, they pronounce it as Muhcross, I'm telling them Mackross as everyone is use too.

Which would you be okay with?

Muhcross (like in ADV)

Mackross (like Robotech, Macross II and Macross Plus)

Probably better to leave it to the Japanese speakers among us. If you have no luck I say Mack-ross.

If you`d asked before Wednesday I could have asked in my Japanese class as we had a class full of native speakers.

Never mind

You can do that if you wish, or if you had a demo or something of your voice that works.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H6CAZ4YF or you can click on this link with the last character audition I have at this time which is Kaifun...all you do is click on the link, enter in the code it requessts at the right hand area and then let it get set up and then click download.

It's got azip file an when you unzip it it will include the lines to read and the original vocal sample of how the lines were spoken.

quick question, now that I have the headset setup, from XP pro, what program do you use or how do you start recording .wav files? :D

Click on the Start menu, then click Run, enter sndrec32 and press ENTER. Also accessible from Start menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment -> Sound Recorder. I'm sure it's not the best thing out there, but it is free and installed on all versions of Windows :D

Hikuro - what a HUGE undertaking you have begun! And amazing results so far!! I wish you and all your VA's good luck. You have many fans already, eagerly awaiting your 'production(s)'.

As an aside, years ago, when I first discovered Star Wars fan audio dramas, I debated applying for a role, but decided that I might not have the time, or more critically, the 'acting' quality I would want to listen to, let alone know that others are listening too. Maybe some day I'll find a tiny role to 'play' (as a test to see if I like doing that sort of thing).

During the summer I toyed with the idea with a fellow Gundam fan...3 movies 1 and 1/2 hours each is a stretch when DYRL will probably take me till late spring or summer to complete....and Zero will probably take 3-4 months per episode after that....

Not too mention, the Zeta movies are already being worked on for English release in the states...so it kind of ruins the fun you know? :p

• 2 weeks later...
Skullsixx Posted Yesterday, 11:41 PM

Dude... I commend you on this big project. Looks pretty cool so far. So are you gonna sell this dub or make it available for download when completed?

Pretty much available for download...if I sold it I could get in rather big trouble if it was discovered I was selling illegal copies to people... :mellow: I'm estimating when the movie is complete in the summer it could easily be about a Gig in size....which means I'll have to have it on Bit Torrent for easy downloading.

Pretty much available for download...if I sold it I could get in rather big trouble if it was discovered I was selling illegal copies to people... :mellow: I'm estimating when the movie is complete in the summer it could easily be about a Gig in size....which means I'll have to have it on Bit Torrent for easy downloading.

Cool dude... I'm not really a computer guy so I have no idea what Bit Torrent is, but I'm sure I'll figure it out when you're done with the project.

Bit Torrent is pretty much what everyone uses to download movies, it's pretty simple to use.

The biggest reasons I don't think I'll really persue a DVD release are these

1) It's illegal, it's bad enough I'm doing the movie when Harmony Gold is shouting they own the rights to everything Macross related.

My friend has been working on Casshern for nearly 2 years even when Go-Fish announced they were persueing the rights, and the original Japanese film company actually emailed her saying to stop.

2) The quality would blow for a DVD release because I have to render the video format like 3 times, from WMV, to AVI/DIVX then to VSO, that really degrades the quality of Video and Audio.

3) Takes me roughly 4 hours to make the highest setting on my burner, and I gotta basically sit there and watch it till it gets to the burning process where everything should work out fine...it just mostly fails during the encoding process cause I might have something the program didn't like. Then when it does complete I gotta make sure it plays on my DVD player for the total length of the DVD, be it DYRL, about two hours per copy.

So it's really a pain in the ass to make a DVD. And either way, we're looking at a release date 6-8 months from now.

Nothing really big to report sadly. I'm waiting on 3 Voice Actors to turn in their lines so we can all move on to the next stage which is chapters 6-10 which consist of Minmay and Hikaru stuck in the enginen block for a few days, to Hikaru secretly meeting Minmay at the park.

I do plan on finishing the next segment before the end of Feburary, and plan on finishing every segment every 3 weeks.

Most of my actors are pretty quick, the others are horrindiously SLOW.