1/48 Variable Legioss Kit?

• 4 weeks later...

Theyre also the kit that Toynami used to design the MPC. From what I understand, they're extremely frail, difficult to build, and once you have them painted they should never be transformed.

Well hell with that then!

I had a chance to open one box to rifle through its contents (the Green, Yellow Dancer version. All the same I think, except the plastic colour and decals).

Can't comment on how hard it is to build but the quality seems good. I was very tempted to buy it.

To be fair, how many painted plastic models can take repeated transformations?

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

I had a chance to open one box to rifle through its contents (the Green, Yellow Dancer version. All the same I think, except the plastic colour and decals).

Can't comment on how hard it is to build but the quality seems good. I was very tempted to buy it.

To be fair, how many painted plastic models can take repeated transformations?

Exactly, you just have to take care with them like any transforming painted models.

See...

http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/toyz/mo...egioss/pics.htm

Okay, I'm no model guy so don't shank me or anything, but when you can get the MPC for the same price, and it's sturdier, diecast, and in some ways nicer than the model, why buy the model? Why not buy the completed MPC and do some airbrush work to weather it. Heck, being a modeler you could probably make some really cool tweaks to it. See, I think that answers my question though, building the model is half the fun and you'd get none of that with the MPC.

Quick Edit - I did own these models at one point so I have examined them up close. I asked a pro to help build them for me and he told me they required lots of filling and extra effort so he wanted a nice amount of $$. I sold my models shortly thereafter.

Edited by jenius

Quick Edit - I did own these models at one point so I have examined them up close. I asked a pro to help build them for me and he told me they required lots of filling and extra effort so he wanted a nice amount of $$. I sold my models shortly thereafter.

I was actually debating on whether to buy this particular AOSHIMA kit, but couldn't really make up my mind. Thanks for the feedback, JENIUS! I guess I've just made my decision :D .

I was actually debating on whether to buy this particular AOSHIMA kit, but couldn't really make up my mind. Thanks for the feedback, JENIUS! I guess I've just made my decision .

Glad I could help but you should definitely fish for more input from the model guys around here. If one of them has actually built one and they found it to be easy and well-done that'd be worth a lot more than my 2 cents.

I managed to get 3 of the old legioss kits on ebay that were packaged as Gobots Leader One models that were only good for building (the packages were in awfull condition, but the kit itself was still sealed and unbroken) I'm a complete rookie when it comes to model building, so I built it in static Battroid mode and it came out well.....probably gonna throw the other 2 back on ebay to help pay for Captain Americas Tomahawk :rolleyes: So if you build in static mode, it shouldn't be as difficult to build as in variable mode.

I'm kind of in the air on this one. I really would love a variable blue Alpha model, but I don't know. I'm a modeler first before a toy collector, and I have built a lot of Gundam/Evangelion HG's, MG's, and PG's. Hell, I even did Patlabor's patlamp kit and the Armored Core kits. I don't know though, I've always been disappointed by Macross models except for the Macross 7 1/100 kits. I have some of the VF variable kits and they're just sad really. If Hasegawa or Wave would make variable kit, I'd be all over it but I just don't build non variable kits. I want to build Mecha, not aircraft. Anyhow, the point is that while I certainly wouldn't play with it a whole hell of a lot, I would change it's poses from time to time and it would really piss me off putting that much work into something that would be so delicate.

Give the kits a chance Excillion, they are great, fun to build and not that fragile if you handle them with care. I built two IMAI kits back in 2000 and they were my first attempt at model building.

I painted them with a brush enamels and the paint is holding great so far and all the joints still work!!!

Obviously they're not toys but I prefer them over the Toynami which is a copy of the IMAI kit. I always go for lineart accuracy, and the Toynami legioss has ridiculously big feet and the canopy is completely wrong.

The Gakken is still my fav Legioss, but that's just my opinon :)

Give the kits a chance Excillion, they are great, fun to build and not that fragile if you handle them with care. I built two IMAI kits back in 2000 and they were my first attempt at model building.

I painted them with a brush enamels and the paint is holding great so far and all the joints still work!!!

Obviously they're not toys but I prefer them over the Toynami which is a copy of the IMAI kit. I always go for lineart accuracy, and the Toynami legioss has ridiculously big feet and the canopy is completely wrong.

The Gakken is still my fav Legioss, but that's just my opinon :)

I probably will. I have a little extra money for it. How big are these kits anyway, in comparison to the MPC (the only Alpha I have)?

I owned the one released as the Monogram Leader 1 Kit and managed to assemble it. Like what everyone said, the plastic is fragile and it does require a lot of gluing :wacko: . It is not something that you expect comparing to Bandai's 1/100 Gundam kit. The joints are not snap fit.

I still have my old assembled Legioss (3 yrs ago). Pardon for the pics below since I used the Logitech camera to take the pictures.

Legioss Monogram